BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

The trouble is we lack pace badly all over the pitch. Its hard for guys to get separation from their marker when both teams are playing the same formation.

As a result we lump it long to often and it doesnt stick, so there is no time for the midfield to get forward. Most of our chances seem to come from the 2nd ball where they fail to clear a long ball and we pick up the 2nd ball and suddenly get bodies forward. Not only do we struggle to hold it up, we have zero pace in the front two to run the channels giving players another option to pass and hit the space. Which again if the forward is quick enough to run the channel and win the ball, it creates time and space for the midfield to get forward.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble is we lack pace badly all over the pitch. Its hard for guys to get separation from their marker when both teams are playing the same formation.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall over the lack of pace throughout our side.

Been saying it for years and no manager of ours has done a single thing about it.

Lambert must bring some in at some point this window, albeit on loan (Jackson is not the speedster he used to be from what I'm hearing).

As a result we lump it long to often and it doesnt stick, so there is no time for the midfield to get forward. Most of our chances seem to come from the 2nd ball where they fail to clear a long ball and we pick up the 2nd ball and suddenly get bodies forward. Not only do we struggle to hold it up, we have zero pace in the front two to run the channels giving players another option to pass and hit the space. Which again if the forward is quick enough to run the channel and win the ball, it creates time and space for the midfield to get forward.

Compounded by wingers who do not have the pace to beat a man and draw covering defenders out. Neither Conway or Marshall are blessed with the pace to beat a man from a standing start, both attack much better from deep.

Who was the last genuinely quick player we had, Hoillett?

Football is a copycat kind of game. When something works against you, other teams will just copy and do the same. Teams have us figured out and until we change something, the same thing is going to keep happening.

Play a high line as we are no threat to run in behind.

Its why we need to change formation and be a bit more aggressive at getting bodies forward. At least until we do sign some players who can make a diffrence

Compounded by wingers who do not have the pace to beat a man and draw covering defenders out. Neither Conway or Marshall are blessed with the pace to beat a man from a standing start, both attack much better from deep.

Who was the last genuinely quick player we had, Hoillett?

Josh King.

Strong enough to hold it up and rapid pace. Couldnt hit a barn door and his passing and crossing where shocking. But he impacted games just by being on the pitch. teams couldn't play a high line.

Biggest strike on Bowyer for me that. He didnt try to develop King as a striker and give him time and games there. He had the potential to be a real threat in this division

Yep, I knew there would be one staring me in the face. King has all the attributes to be a fantastic footballer, barring one, a brain. He had absolutely zero awareness about what was going on around him when at Rovers. That aside he still should have been a useful player purely for the fear factor, opposition teams would instantly have to change the way they play due to the threat of such pace and power.

Once King made some progress his body let him down with a series of injuries, it's the same story all over again at Bournemouth.

Yeah true to some degree. Always feel injuries are more likely with explosive players like that when they are coming off the bench.

Hard to prove, but he may have been better for having more games and his body developing and getting stronger

Its usually always the same with tricky speedsters, all that twisting and turning at pace makes them far far more likely to pick up injuries and niggles, you're lucky if you can get 20 games a year out of them, that said its still always handy to have one or two in your squad.

I do not recall Simon Garner being such a waste of space when he was not scoring like Rhodesy.

And take the penalties out of his record. If he had been playing for Hull for the last 2 seasons and we had kept Gestede and King we would have been much more of an all-round pacey team now. Total miscalculation!

Get him sold....we will have forgotten about him in 18 months.

I do not recall Simon Garner being such a waste of space when he was not scoring like Rhodesy.

And take the penalties out of his record. If he had been playing for Hull for the last 2 seasons and we had kept Gestede and King we would have been much more of an all-round pacey team now. Total miscalculation!

Correct.

Absolute nonsense, King was a complete waste of space during his time here and is not performing any differently at Bournemouth.

Garner frequently used to go missing particularly away from home and up until the last few games was nowhere near as consistent a scorer as Rhodes. I don't recall people criticising him at the time because he wasn't as good as the likes of Dalglish or Rush either, they just rightly accepted him for he player was (i.e. the best we had at the time) and now he is a Club legend. Again quite rightly. If Rhodes stayed for the rest of his career and scored as many goals as SG he'd more likely be remembered for lack of ability or lack of ambition, it must be the modern internet age.

Rhodes is one of my favourite ever players, he's carried this side for the last three and a half seasons and I've never seen a more consistent scorer at the Club apart from Shearer. The last few games haven't been good enough from him but he's hardly on his own in that respect.

Any player "could move". :huh:

I could just about take Graham as a replacement for the likes of Brown and Delfouneso, if he is intended as a direct Rhodes replacement we would be in very serious trouble indeed imo. I was told it's been widely rumoured on the internet that Graham likes a drink rather too much and that's a reason why his career has gone down the pan. Whether that's true or not he probably isn't going to get any better at his age, probably just the opposite.

I know you're joking, but posters on here should take note. It was statements like these that helped make Nixon a persona non grata on this forum. People generally get tired of coyness and attention-seeking, often faster than one might think.

And we lost an excellent source because people stamp their feet and want to know everything, like kids. It doesn't work like that.

Cryptic messages beat people listing players they would like to sign. One of the main reasons people come on here is to find out snippets of info on the team and future transfers, especially from excellent sources like Neophox. Let's hope people have the maturity to handle not being told everything and we don't lose another poster with clearly good sources.

Archived