BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So instead of having forwards who have notched up 78 Championship and League One goals in 3 years. We would have forwards who have notched up 35 Premier League, Championship and League One goals (Graham has scored 2 in the Prem/7 in the Championship in 3 years).

If by "job done" you mean utterly screwed in the goalscoring department, you are right on!

It's a bit disingenuous to use goals scored in this argument I think, I know that sounds ridiculous but hear me out. He made the step up to a premier league club where he isn't good enough, no problem in that, he's a championship level striker. This has resuted in reduced playing time and loan opportunities, his goals for column is always going to suffer. However looking at his loan spells he hasn't done badly, especially during his time at Boro. I think if you took the penalties out of Rhodes tally it would paint a different picture, also looking at the level of opposition Rhodes has scored against. Again, goals are goals and it doesn't matter how or who you score against but both sides of the argument can be adjusted to suit.

From 2009 onwards Rhodes has scored 155 goals, although 71 were scored in league 1. Graham has scored 62 league goals, 15 in the prem, the rest in the championship. So his record at an equal and higher level is fairly decent. I'm not saying he is a better player or goal scorer but he is definitely someone who knows where the goal is in this league.

I think Graham would do well here, he's got a good scoring record going back to his Carlisle days and whilst he hasn't scored with the frequency of his time at Carlisle, Watford and Swansea he has shown during relatively short loan spells that he can still find the net.

The only way to recoup what Venkys have put in moneywise to cover the debt is promotion. Also sacking Bowyer and bring in Lambert who is proven at this level and has promotion on his cv. So the owners are looking for promotion by the end of Lambert's contracf(This is my opinion).

The only way to cover the debt is to accept the debt. Chasing promotion to recover it is what happened to Bolton and now they are doing a car boot selling everything they own

The only way to recoup what Venkys have put in moneywise to cover the debt is promotion. Also sacking Bowyer and bring in Lambert who is proven at this level and has promotion on his cv. So the owners are looking for promotion by the end of Lambert's contracf(This is my opinion).

I agree with you, but I still think Lambert will have to sell to buy. I can't see a great deal of cash being made available otherwise.

Something may happen today.

Something may not.

You heard it here first

I know you're joking, but posters on here should take note. It was statements like these that helped make Nixon a persona non grata on this forum. People generally get tired of coyness and attention-seeking, often faster than one might think.

I know you're joking, but posters on here should take note. It was statements like these that helped make Nixon a persona non grata on this forum. People generally get tired of coyness and attention-seeking, often faster than one might think.

Its (one of) the most frustrating of things to come on here and see someone who may know something leave a cryptic message alluding to some kind of potential transfer news. I appreciate any info that any ITK's can share with us but I don't see the point of the cryptic stuff, it just riles ppl up or gives them false hope that we are going to sign someone of a better quality than some league one plodder.

It's a bit disingenuous to use goals scored in this argument I think, I know that sounds ridiculous but hear me out. He made the step up to a premier league club where he isn't good enough, no problem in that, he's a championship level striker. This has resuted in reduced playing time and loan opportunities, his goals for column is always going to suffer. However looking at his loan spells he hasn't done badly, especially during his time at Boro. I think if you took the penalties out of Rhodes tally it would paint a different picture, also looking at the level of opposition Rhodes has scored against. Again, goals are goals and it doesn't matter how or who you score against but both sides of the argument can be adjusted to suit.

From 2009 onwards Rhodes has scored 155 goals, although 71 were scored in league 1. Graham has scored 62 league goals, 15 in the prem, the rest in the championship. So his record at an equal and higher level is fairly decent. I'm not saying he is a better player or goal scorer but he is definitely someone who knows where the goal is in this league.

I think Graham would do well here, he's got a good scoring record going back to his Carlisle days and whilst he hasn't scored with the frequency of his time at Carlisle, Watford and Swansea he has shown during relatively short loan spells that he can still find the net.

Okay then.

Lets play it your way.

Rhodes goalscoring record in the Championship the last 5 seasons is better than a goal every other game.

Let's take Danny Graham's record in the Championship ONLY including loans throughout his whole career giving him a clear advantage over Rhodes...

Derby County Loan, 14 games, 0 goals

Leeds United Loan, 3 games, 0 goals

Watford, 91 games, 39 goals

Middlesbrough Loan, 18 games, 6 goals

Wolves loan, 5 games, 1 goal.

Graham is 30, 31 this year. Rhodes is 25.

Graham's peak at Watford, his goalscoring record was worse than a goal every other game. Since then it has been worse than a goal every 3 games. Arguably he is losing pace having reached his peak. Meanwhile Rhodes hasn't hit his peak.

If you think signing Graham as Rhodes replacement, and selling Rhodes makes sense then I just don't know what planet you are living on.

If you proposed signing Graham and Bamford on long-term deals on the otherhand, that could make sense.

Graham will likely be a free transfer and Rhodes may fetch 10million. Factors quite heavily when discussing the merits of one replacing the other

Both on roughly the same wages as well.

Yet with Graham we won't have nearly the same goalscoring ability.

No point in having £12 million if a) you can't spend it all B) can't replace what you have sold for better or c) should really be building the team around the better players, and ditching the naff ones.

Only plan some seem to have is to sell our better players and risk the clubs future on players who aren't as good, just for the sake of seeing some transfers.

Okay then.

Lets play it your way.

Rhodes goalscoring record in the Championship the last 5 seasons is better than a goal every other game.

Let's take Danny Graham's record in the Championship ONLY including loans throughout his whole career giving him a clear advantage over Rhodes...

Derby County Loan, 14 games, 0 goals

Leeds United Loan, 3 games, 0 goals

Watford, 91 games, 39 goals

Middlesbrough Loan, 18 games, 6 goals

Wolves loan, 5 games, 1 goal.

Graham is 30, 31 this year. Rhodes is 25.

Graham's peak at Watford, his goalscoring record was worse than a goal every other game. Since then it has been worse than a goal every 3 games. Arguably he is losing pace having reached his peak. Meanwhile Rhodes hasn't hit his peak.

If you think signing Graham as Rhodes replacement, and selling Rhodes makes sense then I just don't know what planet you are living on.

If you proposed signing Graham and Bamford on long-term deals on the otherhand, that could make sense.

Nowhere have I advocated replacing Rhodes with Graham, I was merely making the point that goals for stats can be used to fit arguments as suits.

If however you're asking me whether I would sell Rhodes and use the money to invest in 3 or 4 players who would benefit the overall unit, each contributing with goals, assists and shouldering some of the defensive donkey work then yes, yes I would.

As for Rhodes peak, I hope you're not trying to suggest that Rhodes might get quicker ; )

Both on roughly the same wages as well.

Yet with Graham we won't have nearly the same goalscoring ability.

No point in having £12 million if a) you can't spend it all B) can't replace what you have sold for better or c) should really be building the team around the better players, and ditching the naff ones.

Only plan some seem to have is to sell our better players and risk the clubs future on players who aren't as good, just for the sake of seeing some transfers.

Hard to say for sure, but I cant see us paying any new players what JR currently earns a week.

The rest is certainly up for debate and you may be right on all counts. But until it happens we will never know.

Going off current goal scoring abilities though, we could replace all of our strikers with anybody and get the same output

• Moderation Lead

Not just about the strikers, it's about midfielders that get forward and help the attack (not just at set pieces). No use having a striker with nobody near him.

Not just about the strikers, it's about midfielders that get forward and help the attack (not just at set pieces). No use having a striker with nobody near him.

This is where you get into a chicken and the egg argument. Do we need midfielders who get forward, or strikers that holds it up, so the midfield can get forward

The only answer is both to be honest. One is pointless without the other.

Haha true I guess. I just dont think midfielders can get forward if the ball isnt held up well. For me that side is more important.

Or we sign some pace so teams drop deeper which automatically brings our midfield higher up the pitch

The only answer is both to be honest. One is pointless without the other.

In an ideal world we keep Rhodes, have a striker who can hold the ball up and another who can run beyond defenders, stretching play opening up space for Rhodes and a-another, supplemented by central midfielders who can mix both short and long play and wingers who can beat players rather than having to check inside constantly.

• Moderation Lead

Salgado beat me to it! Yeah, we need more movement all over the pitch. That was half of the problem on Saturday, players were just static.It's not rocket science for a footballer to get forward and support the attack if we attack where possible!

Marshall got especially frustrated on Saturday at one point over the lack of movement and I don't blame him one bit.

If we're selling Rhodes for £10 million, we should really be looking to bring in a better replacement than Graham.

If Rhodes goes, would be no surprise to see his replacement come from The Terriers.

Understand Wells is high up on the 'wish list'.

Archived