SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tony Watt Signs

Iceman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Gordon Strachan praising Tony Watt on STV. Says he offers something different that teams need to progress. Sounds like he might be getting a few caps by the sounds of it.

Good luck to him. He does have something about him. I'm constantly expecting that he's going to run past three or four defenders and slot the ball past the keeper. I'm hoping with full Lambert style fitness we might have something special here. That's a long way off my original thoughts after seeing him for the first time.

I thought we had a fee agreed so maybe it's more that they had to sell but because of timing we couldn't pay up front?

Was he not involved in an incident with the club captain.

Perhaps not I was sure I'd read that but it appears I may have just made the whole thing up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like he's played his last game for us. Lambert doesn't sound like he wants to sign him permanently.

As ever, Rovers seem like they're letting go a player with natural talent/flair. They don't usually last too long around here nowadays.

Remember saying a while ago that Rovers Player commentators were blaming the late warmups for previous pre-match injuries.

Of course since people noticed Watt had an issue pre-match some questions need to be asked of the medical team. No point asking about the summer as its rather obvious why that's not been discussed.

Looks like he's played his last game for us. Lambert doesn't sound like he wants to sign him permanently.

As ever, Rovers seem like they're letting go a player with natural talent/flair. They don't usually last too long around here nowadays.

Not sure if the guy would have got a deal with us anyway. He had his moments but seemed like yet another inconsistent performer. I'm sounding harsh as I actually liked him but I'd prefer players who we can rely upon week after week.

When he signed in January it was a deal with a view to it being made permanent. I always saw it as a longer term signing with one eye on next season. Lambert knew he had fitness issues to work on and didn't throw him straight into games, rather risking Brown in the team whilst Watt improved his fitness.

The club statement makes no reference to the option of a permanent deal, although it is normal for him to return to his parent club if injured, I can't help but think Lambert isn't planning on keeping him because the money isn't going to be there to do the deal (Cardiff offered £1.5 million in January so probably looking at a cost around there).

Won't do Charlton much good because they will need to offload him if they go down.

I do wonder if this is a case of Lambert in his own mind knowing he will leave and advising the players to look after themselves. With the uncertainty at Ewood I wouldn't blame any player for not signing for the rudderless ship that we are.

I think more importantly, is the fact that he now has an injury which could become a reoccurring one . Are we in a position to take such a risk? I don't think so.

Think this is a combination of i) player not bowling PL and his team over ii) the uncertainty over play recruitment

Given the other strikers are either out of contract or on loan, Watt was the one who some on here were saying was a "definite" to be here next season. Ummmmmmmmm....

It'll be Forrester and some other youth lad up top next season at this bloody rate.

He's shown flashes of skill, but there were already huge question marks over his fitness.

Hypothetically, if Lambert only has £3-4m to spend next season, do you gamble £1.5m of it on Watt?

Archived