BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordi Gomez Signs

ChrisyG

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Jordi Gomez has almost equalled the entire goals productivity from our whole midfield after 4 performances speaks volumes about the quality of player we have there.

Especially when you consider he can't get in a relegation threatened prem side. Excellent player at this level and would be a major cog in the midfield wheel if we could sign him permanently.

As he still has a year of his contract left though I am not sure we could afford him.

With Wigan looking like coming back up, I wouldn't be surprised if he went there next year.

At 30-31 years old and firmly out of favour at Sunderland under Allardyce... If you gave them 1-1.5 million then I'm sure they would take it. Seems to be enjoying playing here so I'm sure he would probably rather stay when he's playing well at this stage of his career rather than up sticks and start all over again.

He's got to be worth around 2 million... He'd be first on my list of summer targets, so long as he continues performing to the standard he is. Hoolahan wouldn't go amiss either :D (someone said he's out of contract, there's the Paul Lambert connection too)

I believe Allardyce has said he can go if he doesn't want a pay-off.

They got him for nowt, so its not as though they would be out of pocket.

Can only hope we get something tied up before other clubs start looking.

If we want him permanently then we must be in pole position to do the deal. He's unlikely to have a future at Sunderland under Allardyce even if they get relegated.

If we mean business next season then he's the level of quality we should be recruiting and we should be offering the money to put rivals out of the picture. We've got the money so it should only be wages that are in question.

The again he might not want to hang around at a club with supporters who dish out treatment like Brown got yesterday.

The fact that Jordi Gomez has almost equalled the entire goals productivity from our whole midfield after 4 performances speaks volumes about the quality of player we have there.

Especially when you consider he can't get in a relegation threatened prem side. Excellent player at this level and would be a major cog in the midfield wheel if we could sign him permanently.

As he still has a year of his contract left though I am not sure we could afford him.

With Wigan looking like coming back up, I wouldn't be surprised if he went there next year.

How could Wigan possibly be ahead of us in the queue? If we want him and have aspirations of improving significantly then we should be offering a lot more than Wigan. If we're worried about the likes of them then we can forget pushing for promotion any time soon.

Because Wigan will spend under Wheelan.Will we under Venkys? He also spent a large chunk of his career at Wigan.

[quote name="JHRover" post="1622549" timestamp="1456664674

The again he might not want to hang around at a club with supporters who dish out treatment like Brown got yesterday.

..because no other fans give their players stick do they...

Because Wigan will spend under Wheelan.Will we under Venkys? He also spent a large chunk of his career at Wigan.

..because no other fans give their players stick do they...

If we're expecting to get outdone by Wigan Athletic for quality players then we might as well give up now. We should be well ahead of them in every aspect.

I've seen many clubs supporters giving the team stick when performing poorly, but I can't remember the last time I saw one individual receive such a reaction when substituted, and I just hope that it doesn't make the likes of Gomez question their future.

If we're expecting to get outdone by Wigan Athletic for quality players then we might as well give up now. We should be well ahead of them in every aspect.

I've seen many clubs supporters giving the team stick when performing poorly, but I can't remember the last time I saw one individual receive such a reaction when substituted, and I just hope that it doesn't make the likes of Gomez question their future.

Wigan surely must be even more hamstrung by FUP than we are.

And I suspect the rows and rows of empty seats will make him question his future more.

Fans are always going to give their opinion, good or bad, and I've read some real tosh about people who boo "aren't true fans" - you pay your money to watch football for the privilege of shouting and bawling (provide nothing physically crosses the white lines)

As it always does though, it will boil down to pounds and pence. Gomez could play in front of big crowds by going back to Spain tomorrow but he'd have to drop his wage demands.

Slightly off topic but I can't help think that the legacy of the Sky money is simply to make football unsustainable in the long term. It isn't bringing the world's best players to England, it's making millionaires out of some fairly ordinary players. This, in turn, is making normal footballers out of the price range of most Championship clubs (without parachute payments) and simply growing the squads of PL clubs and everyone else playing 'rent a player'. Gomez in an example of that - surplus to requirements in the PL but on a big, big wage. Whilst he has skill which can make him a genius in this division, he isn't in the price range of most clubs.

Wigan surely must be even more hamstrung by FUP than we are.

And I suspect the rows and rows of empty seats will make him question his future more.

Fans are always going to give their opinion, good or bad, and I've read some real tosh about people who boo "aren't true fans" - you pay your money to watch football for the privilege of shouting and bawling (provide nothing physically crosses the white lines)

As it always does though, it will boil down to pounds and pence. Gomez could play in front of big crowds by going back to Spain tomorrow but he'd have to drop his wage demands.

Slightly off topic but I can't help think that the legacy of the Sky money is simply to make football unsustainable in the long term. It isn't bringing the world's best players to England, it's making millionaires out of some fairly ordinary players. This, in turn, is making normal footballers out of the price range of most Championship clubs (without parachute payments) and simply growing the squads of PL clubs and everyone else playing 'rent a player'. Gomez in an example of that - surplus to requirements in the PL but on a big, big wage. Whilst he has skill which can make him a genius in this division, he isn't in the price range of most clubs.

I totally agree, the media however aren't too fussed about the gap between the divisions. As long as Citeh, Man Yoo and the rest of their darlings are buying the best players and making the headlines. Sky and co. would be quite happy for a super league of the top 4 Elite in the prem and for everyone else not in contention to struggle.

It's crappy, but more than ever it's premier league or bust. Which makes the goings on at our club since those fools took over even more baffling.

But anyway, Gomez is looking class, lovely free kick yesterday and keeps popping up with the goals, which is a massive bonus, since the strikers have been a little anaemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Backroom

Have seen Fellaini get that treatment many times at Man U.

I totally agree, the media however aren't too fussed about the gap between the divisions. As long as Citeh, Man Yoo and the rest of their darlings are buying the best players and making the headlines. Sky and co. would be quite happy for a super league of the top 4 Elite in the prem and for everyone else not in contention to struggle.

It's crappy, but more than ever it's premier league or bust. Which makes the goings on at our club since those fools took over even more baffling.

But anyway, Gomez is looking class, lovely free kick yesterday and keeps popping up with the goals, which is a massive bonus, since the strikers have been a little anaemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that they are though. How many of the world's top 10 best players plan in the PL? Top 20?

I wonder how much Jordi will fancy signing perm to a club whose fans like to put the boot into their own players.

If I was a pro and saw the abuse handed out to Brown it would make me think twice and consider alternatives. Who wants to play in a poisonous atmosphere?

You could say he thinks like that but you might also say he admires the support of Chris Taylor after his stupid sending off. In the grand scheme of things I doubt either affects the outcome too much.

• Backroom

How come Jordi can put the ball in the net from twenty yards away yet Chris Brown can't do it from six yards yet plays regularly.

I'm not an expert but I would imagine it's because Jordi Gomez is a better football player than Chris Brown is.

I seriously would have thought you would have been able to work that one out for yourself.

I'm not an expert but I would imagine it's because Jordi Gomez is a better football player than Chris Brown is.

I seriously would have thought you would have been able to work that one out for yourself.

Is Brown paid to miss or score Tom ?

Archived