BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro Match Thread

den

They really don't help themselves at times with those antics and the thick twerps that they are they don't realise they are making themselves a target for the boo boys if they start playing badly again. Fecking idiots and about time managers stamped on it it's disrespectful to the thousands who stick by them and don't join in with the the minority.

Neither of those two has had any noticeable stick from the terraces just a bit on twitter mostly from gimps who never even go. If you want a hard to please set of fans on your side then go about it the right way.

Anyone giving Akpan stick for his 'shussshhhhing' needs to devote the same column inches to criticising the significant number of idiots who went beyond the usual dissatisfied murmur, and collectively gave Akpan loud, booing/jeering/cat-calling abuse when he did something wrong in the first half. It was very audible, certainly to him.

That is possibly the real reason he reacted after scoring, although I agree no player (except, of course, Browny) should ever do that to their own fans.

Each one of you boo boys (can we have a poll btw on how many of us honestly boo at half time, full time, or at individual players?) needs to understand the role you play in holding the team back in terms of how long we will take to get back to the PL.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably more frustrated at Browny and other individuals than you are, and certainly more frustrated with some of the managers short-term decisions, but I draw the line at booing and jeering, even at full-time.

Not many of our current 1st 16 deserve booing between now and the end of the season, so please refrain.

Unfortunately, my experience is that the boo boys are much less vocal when things are going well.

I honestly feel that the team retained their energy for fully 89 rather than the recent 75 minutes due to our positive vocal backing.

Would we have him back at a knock down price next season ?

We would but Lambert wouldn't, except to make another quick buck in 1st window ^_^

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone giving Akpan stick for his 'shussshhhhing' needs to devote the same column inches to criticising the significant number of idiots who went beyond the usual dissatisfied murmur, and collectively gave Akpan loud, booing/jeering/cat-calling abuse when he did something wrong in the first half. It was very audible, certainly to him.

That is possibly the real reason he reacted after scoring, although I agree no player (except, of course, Browny) should ever do that to their own fans.

Each one of you boo boys (can we have a poll btw on how many of us honestly boo at half time, full time, or at individual players?) needs to understand the role you play in holding the team back in terms of how long we will take to get back to the PL.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably more frustrated at Browny and other individuals than you are, and certainly more frustrated with some of the managers short-term decisions, but I draw the line at booing and jeering, even at full-time.

Not many of our current 1st 16 deserve booing between now and the end of the season, so please refrain.

Unfortunately, my experience is that the boo boys are much less vocal when things are going well.

I honestly feel that the team retained their energy for fully 89 rather than the recent 75 minutes due to our positive vocal backing.

We would but Lambert wouldn't, except to make another quick buck in 1st window ^_^

That and the beasting they have been getting in training

Interesting reading from people that the atmosphere was better last night. I'm inclined to agree. Even at 0-0 there seemed a buzz.

Maybe it was because there were so many Boro fans for a Tuesday night match (reusing their Boxing Day tickets) but I can't help but think that it's no coincidence that there was a drummer in the BBE. Maybe he got the crowd going, or just maybe he invoked the spirit of days gone by when we used to have a drummer at every home game...

#GEDDIN TO-EM#

Interesting reading from people that the atmosphere was better last night. I'm inclined to agree. Even at 0-0 there seemed a buzz.

Maybe it was because there were so many Boro fans for a Tuesday night match (reusing their Boxing Day tickets) but I can't help but think that it's no coincidence that there was a drummer in the BBE. Maybe he got the crowd going, or just maybe he invoked the spirit of days gone by when we used to have a drummer at every home game...

#GEDDIN TO-EM#

Don't really think the drummer made that much on last night's atmosphere. I had noticed fans being more relaxed during games, as if it's accepted that we're not going to achieve anything this season except staying in the championship - win our next three games and eyebrows will be raised! But being relaxed and suddenly producing on outstanding performance against the millions of a top side meant we could contribute to and enjoy an outstanding win.

From a boro forum ... Rhodes looks promising ? Promising ?

He was fecking nine million and he has missed a boat load of absolute sitters!!!!!!

He will be on the bench on Friday....and rightly so...he doesn't suit us one bit....

Complete joke to buy him in the first place!!!

upfront on his own with no pace and not very agile...

Only at Boro is what I say....

FLOP.

...and is the real name of Roy "Chubby" Brown, but I guess you all knew that

No. I didn't know that. Checked it on Wiki and find he's also a Middlesbrough fan. Co-incidence on this thread. I hope he's gutted.

The fans got behind the team because we not only played with passion, but we played very good on-the-ground football. Fans can see a big difference to most of what has gone before. We now have players who don't treat the ball like a hot potato.

Very pleased at the performance as well as the result.

Darwen-Enders in BBE will surely claim responsibility

If it's true then it's another reason to close the DE permanently to hold fans (until gates justify it) but it looked as though the most vocal Darren Enders had moved to the JW lower in the corner.

If it's true then it's another reason to close the DE permanently to hold fans (until gates justify it) but it looked as though the most vocal Darren Enders had moved to the JW lower in the corner.

I was in the upper right of the JW for last night's game and there were more fans there than I normally see from the Darwen End and a heck of a lot more standing up and singing. You could tell that some of the regulars were a bit shell-shocked by fans trying to create an atmosphere but it worked!

Would we have him back at a knock down price next season ?

I honestly don't want this to sound like I don't like the lad but we've struggled for a good while trying to find a way of playing that suited him and the team. I think it's fair to say he had some success but the team as a whole didn't. Could be ' Boro will find themselves in the same boat. Last night he got on the end of several chances, did most things right but the ball didn't go in. Next game maybe he'll put them away.

I just don't see a way of playing that allows him to play the role he does in todays football. Thirty years ago it wouldn't have been a problem. Lots of teams had a pure goal poacher then.

I honestly don't want this to sound like I don't like the lad but we've struggled for a good while trying to find a way of playing that suited him and the team. I think it's fair to say he had some success but the team as a whole didn't. Could be ' Boro will find themselves in the same boat. Last night he got on the end of several chances, did most things right but the ball didn't go in. Next game maybe he'll put them away.

I just don't see a way of playing that allows him to play the role he does in todays football. Thirty years ago it wouldn't have been a problem. Lots of teams had a pure goal poacher then.

I said at the time of the transfer that it might upset the Boro team play if they try to change the system to suit JR. Expensive luxury at this level, obviously this won't happen but if you put JR in the Barca team (or similar) he would score for fun again. Not sure if the other 10 would be happy with his all round contribution though.

JR could easily turn into an enigma

close the DE because for once the spectators in the BBE decided to support the team. Yeh, okay.

Personally I think everything is made too black and white in this argument about Rhodes. You'd think he was absolute tosh reading what some write on here. If I believed what I read from select posters, I'd think last night Boro lost because they had Jordan Rhodes and we won because we didn't. Yeah, he hasn't got the attributes that some players have and perhaps he is a luxury for a team like Rovers who have poor players occupying creative positions, but I'm fed up of reading the cut and dry posts on him. Watt, Graham and Brown are all very different players. All run after the opposition but their off the ball movement and deadliness in the box is lacking. Hence why they won't score as many goals but perhaps someone else will. Running around constantly for 90 minutes is not in every player's arsenal but being a deadly finisher isn't either. Tbh, no Rovers fan was critical of Rhodes until last season and I don't know what Bowyer did bit Rhodes's game declined under his stewardship and he's never been the same since. Seems lacking in confidence and doesn't look like he's enjoyed his football for a long while which is a shame for the lad.

Also, everyone is critical of Rhodes after last night's game but what did Nugent do? Is he rubbish as well? The only Boro player to really trouble our keeper last night was JR and I think we nullified them due to a complete team performance, not because 'they were playing with 10 men with Rhodes up top' or the usual tripe that comes from some narrow-minded posters.

Personally I think everything is made too black and white in this argument about Rhodes. You'd think he was absolute tosh reading what some write on here. If I believed what I read from select posters, I'd think last night Boro lost because they had Jordan Rhodes and we won because we didn't. Yeah, he hasn't got the attributes that some players have and perhaps he is a luxury for a team like Rovers who have poor players occupying creative positions, but I'm fed up of reading the cut and dry posts on him. Watt, Graham and Brown are all very different players. All run after the opposition but their off the ball movement and deadliness in the box is lacking. Hence why they won't score as many goals but perhaps someone else will. Running around constantly for 90 minutes is not in every player's arsenal but being a deadly finisher isn't either. Tbh, no Rovers fan was critical of Rhodes until last season and I don't know what Bowyer did bit Rhodes's game declined under his stewardship and he's never been the same since. Seems lacking in confidence and doesn't look like he's enjoyed his football for a long while which is a shame for the lad.

Also, everyone is critical of Rhodes after last night's game but what did Nugent do? Is he rubbish as well? The only Boro player to really trouble our keeper last night was JR and I think we nullified them due to a complete team performance, not because 'they were playing with 10 men with Rhodes up top' or the usual tripe that comes from some narrow-minded posters.

Time will tell, hope he comes good, great professional attitude

so booing after an abject first half display against mk dons holds the team back? How ridiculous. You seem to forget the position we were in... we had been let down the week before by lambert playing a weak side against West ham, followed by a defeat at Derby and then we were staring at a defeat which would of put us in the mire. I, along with a lot of people all around the ground, booed for a few seconds to show our dissatisfaction. Akpan gets stick because of his defending (or lack of it). Look at the first half highlights, look at boro's goal. I was in the BBE last night and didn't hear any abuse towards him.

Nah don't blame him myself, one point in the first half I heard people throwing abuse at him for not challenging for a ball that was 6 feet in the air going away from him towards their man, there was literally no way he could have won the ball without giving a foul away on the edge of the box but it didn't stop the know nowts!

That said hopefully now the bit of unrest between players and fans is at an end after a good couple of results

Seems to me some people simply go along to vent, frustrations at home or work?

close the DE because for once the spectators in the BBE decided to support the team. Yeh, okay.

You read the bit where I said "another reason", right?

Kudos for the cheap dig at the backbone of the club's support though. :rolleyes:

Holds no water anyway seeing the DE'drs seem to go in the outer JW upper & lower when they get shifted.

Anyone provide a link to Boro messageboards - particularly Rhodes comments?

flymetothemoon boro forum, some mixed stuff on there about Rhodes. They seem more concerned about their defence and manger. Oh and they have some boo boys apparently, bit out of order I thought it was only us in the whole 4 divisions with that problem :rover:

I'm sorry but I had doubts about Rhodes very early on. I was quite surprised at his lack of both pace and physicality. First time I saw him play I thought maybe he's not 100% fit today. After that he didn't get any quicker.

Without a doubt a very cool head and a good shooting touch in the box, he hits the target more than most. Getting him into these shooting positions is the problem though.

I'm sorry but I had doubts about Rhodes very early on. I was quite surprised at his lack of both pace and physicality. First time I saw him play I thought maybe he's not 100% fit today. After that he didn't get any quicker.

Without a doubt a very cool head and a good shooting touch in the box, he hits the target more than most. Getting him into these shooting positions is the problem though.

I blame Glen Mullen!!

As I said, he has his flaws. If Rhodes was fast, he'd be playing for a top 6 Prem side. He made a few chances for himself last night as Boro looked lacking in creativity (and we nullified them). Can't say the same for Nugent who was even more absent than Rhodes.

so booing after an abject first half display against mk dons holds the team back? How ridiculous. You seem to forget the position we were in... we had been let down the week before by lambert playing a weak side against West ham, followed by a defeat at Derby and then we were staring at a defeat which would of put us in the mire. I, along with a lot of people all around the ground, booed for a few seconds to show our dissatisfaction. Akpan gets stick because of his defending (or lack of it). Look at the first half highlights, look at boro's goal. I was in the BBE last night and didn't hear any abuse towards him.

First, thanks for the first vote.

Second, yes, booing is at best counter productive. This is the view of 70+%.

Periodic boo-ing this season has had no positive effect, but it has negatively effected some of our emotionally weak players.

I shout and sometimes scream, but decide not to boo or jeer (Kean excepted).

Any more votes?

Rhodes has been a good servant to us but has now gone. He reminds me of Andy McEvoy for the older posters. Both could be very good, both could be very frustrating. One thing is for sure though is that I was very privileged to be able to see both in the Blue and White. Now let's move on?

Sorry mustard, couldn't agree with much of that. To my mind Rhodes created very little last night. I thought Hanley and Duffy pretty well had him for dinner. Three of the chances that fell to him were from a short back pass from Hanley which was a gift, a clearance from a rovers defender which hit another defender in his face and ricocheted back into the area and landed at Rhodes feet - and the third when Duffy lost his footing running back for a long ball.

We've sold him, we're playing far better for it and scoring more goals. The evidence is right in front of us and can't really be denied. The Boro manager basically said we beat them because we worked so much harder than them. Rhodes had his chance to show Lambert what HE had to offer, but didn't do it. Why not? Couldn't he put in the hard yards, or wouldn't he put in the hard yards. If a teams going to be successful then every player has to do that, but he doesn't. He's not tough enough and he's not a winner in my view. He's happy to amble around the park waiting for something to drop for him in the area and that's his entire game.

Archived