BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro Match Thread

den

Really? I think he looks a liability. Slows play down in possession and takes too long picking a pass or lumps it, too slow to get back so offers nothing going forward, and his lack of pace means he looks terrified whenever the winger is in possession. The Boro right winger got so many crosses in from Spurr being nowhere near him. Only way I'd support Spurr getting a new deal is if it's purely as a backup player.

Yep, I do think he deserves one as a back up player, especially because he can play as an emergency centre half if necessary as well.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lenihan was my man of the match today. He is growing in confidence and stature.In the first half he ordered captain Hanley to stay back, rather than come up for a corner which I loved. Hanley acquiesced as well! He reminds me of a young, grittier Simon Barker.He is going to be big for us.

Gomez was very quiet. Don't think the swirling wind pleased him. Watt was very committed and got a standing ovation when subbed which I think he needed. Touch of class from Rhodes with a wave and fist pump to the Blackburn end.

This was a great performance and thoroughly enjoyable. Lambert did a massive amount of coaching throughout which was good to see. If we play like that on Saturday we will be fine!

Really? I think he looks a liability. Slows play down in possession and takes too long picking a pass or lumps it, too slow to get back so offers nothing going forward, and his lack of pace means he looks terrified whenever the winger is in possession. The Boro right winger got so many crosses in from Spurr being nowhere near him. Only way I'd support Spurr getting a new deal is if it's purely as a backup player.

Not Spurr's biggest fan but thought he played well tonight. He couldn't get close to Adomah because if he had he'd have been killed for pace. What he did do was keep him wide and always showed him onto his weaker left peg. Result was the crosses were just chipped in and easy to clear for the centre halves. Add to that the amount of challenges he won late on when they were throwing everything at us and I'd say it's a good day for him.

Can we do better? Without a doubt but I'm not going to rain on his parade tonight, he played his part.

Yes really. He looked sluggish and a liability since his return but over the last three games I've seen he has really improved and read the game much better. Definitely showing he is a capable stand in and he's in stark contrast to Henley, who I cannot believe is a footballer.

• Backroom

It's clear to see I was desperate for Rhodes not to score tonight however he will do well there

3-4 good chances tonight and made the keeper work each time.

Don't like his theatrics but a good lad and good luck to him now. Have a feeling we will be playing him next season though

It's clear to see I was desperate for Rhodes not to score tonight however he will do well there

3-4 good chances tonight and made the keeper work each time.

Don't like his theatrics but a good lad and good luck to him now. Have a feeling we will be playing him next season though

He dives a lot actually, used to drive me mad when he went down but funnily enough refs buy it.

He'll score this season we all know that. He's got quality behind him and they'll supply enough.

Next year will be his baptism of fire. My guess - He'll fail in the prem and end up back in the first division by Christmas 2017 latest.

Only one negative tonight. That new drummer (I'm glad we have one again) needs to get his timing right!

It's early days mate but the drummer has a lot of potential. His timing was off here and there but when he got it right, he was immense. We've got to give the lad time and hopefully his performance will improve as he gets fitter. :)

• Backroom

Credit to Simeon Jackson, no idea how he got it but that's the best flick on I've seen in years and he's only 4 foot 2!

Fantastic tonight. Thoroughly enjoyable. I sat with a mate who has rarely set foot in Ewood in last few years; at the end he was contemplating getting a season ticket next season. Performances like that win fans back.

Just to reiterate that Lenihan was great tonight; he should relish going against Barton on Saturday.

Graham was also great, held everything up, looked sharp, some good ball skill and great finish. I listened to his post match interview on Radio Rovers. He seemed like he is enjoying it which was pleasing to hear after a few observed he didn't acknowledge the crowd on Saturday. When asked about the future, stated he would be 'very interested if the gaffer wanted him to sign.'

Steele has come in for criticism, myself included, for not pulling off match winning saves. Tonight he produced 3 if not 4 against Rhodes.

Grimes looks a talent. Great left foot. Reminds me of Alan Mahon who played an important part in our last promotion.

Also did anybody else see Lambert scream at Conway, and demonstrate to him what he should have done with the ball after he gave Spurr a hospital pass? Good to see such passion

really great performance tonight.

Graham was outstanding tonight. Work rate is phenomenal, he used his strength to use the ball very well, plus run the channels and in behind their defence. Plus he showed his class by his class finish

Lenihan was very good tonight. Lambert has showed the he has faith in the player and playing him his proper position.

Lambert got his tactics spot on tonight.

In Lambert We Trust!!!

Also Good to see Rhodes come over to the Blackburn End at the end of the game and clapped their fans. showed he is top pro.

Credit to Simeon Jackson, no idea how he got it but that's the best flick on I've seen in years and he's only 4 foot 2!

Yes I loved that. The little guy winning the header for the big guy to run on to. I quite enjoy Jackson's little sub appearances.

As for Graham, he's added a different quality that we've been missing for a long time. Holding the ball and bringing team mates into play when they arrive - something Boro were lacking today and made a big difference to us.

Graham will hopefully inspire those around him, as if he can retain possession and find a colleague under such extreme pressure, the others will put a higher price on ball retention and accurate, effective passing.

Top performance, and my concern about him looking less effective in the box than outside it, was well and truly answered. He is also more effective doing the heavy work on his own than alongside Browny. We just need to buzz around him more to provide quality options.

COYB!!!

As for Graham, he's added a different quality that we've been missing for a long time. Holding the ball and bringing team mates into play when they arrive - something Boro were lacking today and made a big difference to us.

He showed just how big a difference, a centre forward with a bit of know how - and who is prepared to battle with the big lads at the back for absolutely everything, makes to the team. He - along with others - didn't allow boros back four the time and space to build anything. He didn't allow them to dictate the pace. Rhodes either wouldn't, or couldn't do that and it made us a worse team because of it. The battling displays, where we now mix that with a bit of quality surely shows people there's better ways to play the game than the way we used to do.

Great result by a team that clearly has a purpose. Boro coach said best.

Middlesbrough head coach Aitor Karanka:

"It's taken 75-85 for us minutes to wake up. It's really difficult for me to understand why a team like Blackburn, who is in the middle of the table and which had played five games in the last two weeks, and their players wanted it more than us.

Their players are jumping more than us, they were quicker than us, even when they were winning 2-0 they were desiring to score the third one.

"When we are playing to get promotion, or at least to be in the play-offs, it is difficult to understand."

BBC website

Great result by a team that clearly has a purpose. Boro coach said best.

Middlesbrough head coach Aitor Karanka:

"It's taken 75-85 for us minutes to wake up. It's really difficult for me to understand why a team like Blackburn, who is in the middle of the table and which had played five games in the last two weeks, and their players wanted it more than us.

Their players are jumping more than us, they were quicker than us, even when they were winning 2-0 they were desiring to score the third one.

"When we are playing to get promotion, or at least to be in the play-offs, it is difficult to understand."

BBC website

No doubt its because they were simply honored to be on the same pitch as the almighty Middlesbrough! Every kids dream!

:rolleyes:

Whilst I understand some of the criticism of Akpan I think people need to be a little more realistic of what they expect of him. The lad isn't great technically but I think playing with better technically gifted players like Gomez and Grimes we might start to see better from him. Decent goal return from him so far this season, could still get more and I thought his header was really well taken tonight. Let our young ones get amongst the old men in midfield at the weekend and we might get a decent result, just imagine what a win would do for the confidence of this team for next season if we manage to beat Burnley and Boro in the space of a week.

Really pleased we put in the type of performance at home that we've been seeing away for a few weeks now.

I'm sure some thought we must have been telling porkies.

Special mention for Danny Graham, I've had doubts about him, today was by far his best performance for us.

Same again on Saturday please. COYB.

Fantastic result tonight, didn't expect that. Three home wins in a row, 8 goals, a new star in Lenihan is born, and some top notch performances from Lambert's Jan signings.

Any coincidence a wider variety of players have scored since Rhodes has left?

Fantastic result tonight, didn't expect that. Three home wins in a row, 8 goals, a new star in Lenihan is born, and some top notch performances from Lambert's Jan signings.

Any coincidence a wider variety of players have scored since Rhodes has left?

good to see someone coming through from the academy. Are there other players who could possibly make the step up?

Still electrified by that performance. A courageous battling display, with 2 great goals.

Hard to believe the dross served up on Saturday.

A similar display at Burnley, and I'll go home content.

Surely, we have to start with the same side.

Tonight was a proud night. One to savour.

A long time since I've had difficulty sleeping after a Rovers game for the right reasons.

A very early start for work too, but will have a spring in my step after last night's performance.

A huge improvement and all we can ask is for a similar effort on Saturday and to see what that brings.

Archived