BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City At Home

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a low opinion of Graham at all.

Time and again, mainly in the second half to be fair, he took his time strolling back before he was onside. It might be a Premier League trait, I don't know, but that's not my opinion, it's a fact.

Personally I'm very glad he is in our side and hope that we can keep him but he may still need to get 'Lambert fit'. He is brilliant at holding the ball up and has an eye for goal. That's no disrespect to any former Rovers players who did not have the benefit of a Gomez behind them or a Lambert alongside them, by the way.

There is no doubt that we have much better strength in depth in our squad and a fitter, more motivated midfield. And we haven't yet spent the £9m that we got for our worst player in January. Imagine what the rest of this squad could now be worth!

I just hope that Lambert is able to convince the majority of our loanees that their future lies with Rovers, and convince their clubs to sell, and somehow find a way to afford them whilst staying complaint with FUP. And turn water into wine. Given where we are now, the £9m may be better spent on permanent contract for some of these guys with only a portion spent on a left and right full back.

Yeah complaint not compliant! :rover:

(Not the typo police...)

I'm getting to the point where I'm concerned about holding on to our better players this summer. The recent improvement in form of several of our guys won't have gone un noticed.

Or even holding on to our manager!

Within the last managerial reign, I think most of us on here constantly raised concerns, however they were never addressed. However within the last 3 months or so:

1. Striker who can hold up the ball and bring other into play - ADDRESSED

2. A central midfield who can control games - ADDRESSED

3. A forward who will actually run at someone, even though it might not always come off - ADDRESSED

4. A winger on the left, who has pace - ADDRESSED

5. Playing with more aggression - ADDRESSED

6. Turning up fitness levels - ADDRESSED

And I'm sure much more, but they are the main points that were always brought up. Get to the summer and try and make Graham and Gomez permanents when they become free agents. Also make Watts move permanent. Like all 3. Get some new full backs and then push Marshall into midfield, combined with adding another couple of neat midfielders and we will have a really good side.

Apologies, I'm a bit disconnected* from Rovers at the minute but who is the left winger with pace?

*due to not living in England

Or even holding on to our manager!

Mm, yes his stock must be rising again. People in football will realise what a massive re-building exercise we were/are. I think we'll be OK for now but if we start off really well next season we could have a problem.

Trouble is I'm not convinced Venkies could make another sensible appointment !

Noticed Brown pointing to his chest for the long ball when he came on...bit of sublety Chris LOL!

Glad he didn't score last night when he came on. Hopefully when/if he does its the winning goal it has to be a momentous occasion! Won a free kick with his first contribution from that long ball but had no chance to really do much else.

I did bet 5p on Rovers to win 6-0 last night (refused to bet on Rovers matches in past but for extremely speculative bets I've made an exception) Some cruel people might feel that was better value than betting on Brown scoring lol!

Numpty

• Backroom

I don't think we have to worry too much about losing Lambert to the teams going down. Villa can obviously be excluded straight away. Newcastle will probably already have appointed somebody after binning McClaren before the end of this season, whilst I'd expect Norwich and Sunderland to hold onto Neill and Allardyce even if they go down. I can only really think of the likes of Derby in this division who could tempt Lambert at this point.

I'm getting to the point where I'm concerned about holding on to our better players this summer. I wasn't thinking along these lines 3 months ago. The recent improvement in form of several of our guys won't have gone un noticed.

Agreed. I'd have had Marshall out of the door 3 or 4 months ago but he looks a different player now and looks like he's buying into Lambert's methods. I think there'll be interest in him this summer and we need to repel it as he's turning into a more than useful RB/outlet.

I don't think we have to worry too much about losing Lambert to the teams going down. Villa can obviously be excluded straight away. Newcastle will probably already have appointed somebody after binning McClaren before the end of this season, whilst I'd expect Norwich and Sunderland to hold onto Neill and Allardyce even if they go down. I can only really think of the likes of Derby in this division who could tempt Lambert at this point.

I think there would be plenty of other managers that Derby would be interested in talking to before Lambert... I don't think he'd even be on their shortlist.

Agreed. I'd have had Marshall out of the door 3 or 4 months ago but he looks a different player now and looks like he's buying into Lambert's methods. I think there'll be interest in him this summer and we need to repel it as he's turning into a more than useful RB/outlet.

I think quite a lot of PL clubs will be looking at Marshall in the summer.

He's the perfect modern full-back.

• Backroom

I think there would be plenty of other managers that Derby would be interested in talking to before Lambert... I don't think he'd even be on their shortlist.

Possibly, but I was talking about in reverse. I have no idea about who Derby do or don't want.

Norwich could be completely excluded like Villa as Lambert sued them for breach of contract.

Think they will certainly stick with Neil as well they showed a lot of faith in him. When I saw where they had appointed him from it could easily have been a Kean type of situation. That is with the exception of Kentaro type involvement. Yes he actually had management experience but he could also have been completely out of his depth though they were in the Championship of course not the EPL. Not a comment on his personality because he's certainly nothing like Kean!

I do hope this post gets deleted as it has nothing to do with the brum match ;)

Nope its still here. :tu:

Noticed Brown pointing to his chest for the long ball when he came on...bit of sublety Chris LOL!

Glad he didn't score last night when he came on. Hopefully when/if he does its the winning goal it has to be a momentous occasion! Won a free kick with his first contribution from that long ball but had no chance to really do much else.

I did bet 5p on Rovers to win 6-0 last night (refused to bet on Rovers matches in past but for extremely speculative bets I've made an exception) Some cruel people might feel that was better value than betting on Brown scoring lol!

WOW words really do fail me.

do want Aguero to fail as well?

Norwich could be completely excluded like Villa as Lambert sued them for breach of contract.

Think they will certainly stick with Neil as well they showed a lot of faith in him. When I saw where they had appointed him from it could easily have been a Kean type of situation. That is with the exception of Kentaro type involvement. Yes he actually had management experience but he could also have been completely out of his depth though they were in the Championship of course not the EPL. Not a comment on his personality because he's certainly nothing like Kean!

The difference with Alex Neil though is that he was well known and well thought of as a player too, had caught the eye of the likes of Ferguson and others, and very quickly turned Hamilton's fortunes around (did you see what happened to them in the immediate aftermath of his departure?). Other than his nationality and his balding napper I don't really see the comparison with Kean, who was an absolute nobody as a player and a bib and cone man as a coach.

I think quite a lot of PL clubs will be looking at Marshall in the summer.

He's the perfect modern full-back.

It's a bit early to be talking along those lines but if he plays in the same manner for the rest of the season we could have problems. Hanley is as good a centre half as there is in this league, holding on to him may be difficult also.

OK I will post again without quoting k.

SO A ROVERS FAN IS GLAD A ROVERS PLAYER DIDNT SCORE V BRUM? speechless

The difference with Alex Neil though is that he was well known and well thought of as a player too, had caught the eye of the likes of Ferguson and others, and very quickly turned Hamilton's fortunes around (did you see what happened to them in the immediate aftermath of his departure?). Other than his nationality and his balding napper I don't really see the comparison with Kean, who was an absolute nobody as a player and a bib and cone man as a coach.

Well I certainly hadn't heard of him. Kean was supposedly wanted as a coach at Chelsea but perhaps he lied about that also. If Kean had applied for a management job in Scottish football (people probably don't remember but he was linked to Kilmarnock during his first year at Ewood) they probably would have interviewed him at least. It was still a gigantic step up for Neil especially when Norwich could have gone for a more predictable/safe candidate.

OK I will post again without quoting k.

SO A ROVERS FAN IS GLAD A ROVERS PLAYER DIDNT SCORE V BRUM? speechless

Yoda saying similar earlier (removed post) and now here's his partner in crime! Read the whole thing for goodness sake!

Yeah, like Vinjay all over twitter saying I got him banned from the message board

You're twisting things again as I can't remember saying that. I was never banned (only suspended) and it was for some unpleasant pms I sent none of which were to you or Abbey. My point on twitter was that I felt my suspension was unfair when you haven't had such sanctions. Particularly as your attacks on me have been for all to see and not kept private. Plus they have been consistent not just one off instances.

The members aren't stupid and they can see you're twisting my comments about Brown. You don't need to twist things anyway everyone knows now we don't get along.

Want to go back on topic or just have another pointless argument?

Well I certainly hadn't heard of him. Kean was supposedly wanted as a coach at Chelsea but perhaps he lied about that also. If Kean had applied for a management job in Scottish football (people probably don't remember but he was linked to Kilmarnock during his first year at Ewood) they probably would have interviewed him at least. It was still a gigantic step up for Neil especially when Norwich could have gone for a more predictable/safe candidate.

You should get out more then! I'm being slightly facetious really, I live in Scotland and Hamilton is the nearest pro club to where I work so maybe I have an advantage. My ex brother in law also managed Kean at Celtic funnily enough and he was a spineless piece of sh*t even as a youth team player apparently.

Neil was a MANAGER, he actually had control of a football club. Kean was a NOBODY, his agent had control of a football club.

• Moderation Lead

Right lads- last time now, getting irritated with having to hide posts. A few points-

Vinjay has explained himself re Manchester City and going to a few games with a pal, so there's no need to bring Man City up unless it's the Premier or Champions League Threads.

If you don't like what any poster has to say, put them on ignore. If you don't know how to do this, send me a PM.

Abbey-You've taken the comment about Brown out of context and used it against Vinjay. Please don't accuse mods of bias as Vinjay has just come back from serving a ban.

Can we please get back on topic, this is the Birmingham game thread which we won 2-0.

• Backroom

I thought I'd just point out that I can see why Lambo picks Spurr now, and not just out of necessity. When he doesn't have to worry about pace, he's deceptively strong in shielding the ball.

I particularly noticed this during the Brum Barrage around the hour mark and during an attack around the 70th minute.

Spurr received the ball on the halfway line and ran to the byline, all the while holding off one defender (who was all over him like a rash) and winning the corner.

He isn't brilliant, but he'll do for now. Would keep him on as a bench option personally. The performances Lambo has got out of certain players are unreal compared to how they were previously.

I thought I'd just point out that I can see why Lambo picks Spurr now, and not just out of necessity. When he doesn't have to worry about pace, he's deceptively strong in shielding the ball.

I particularly noticed this during the Brum Barrage around the hour mark and during an attack around the 70th minute.

Spurr received the ball on the halfway line and ran to the byline, all the while holding off one defender (who was all over him like a rash) and winning the corner.

He isn't brilliant, but he'll do for now. Would keep him on as a bench option personally. The performances Lambo has got out of certain players are unreal compared to how they were previously.

He does some things good but some things very bad. He'll do for now (he'll have to) but we certainly need better in summer.

Archived