BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City At Home

Bennett and Graham have been two unbelievable signings, even just for their attitude alone. They've both been brilliant in the last month and are the type of players I love to have at the club.

I think all the recent signings were brought in with their attitude in mind almost as much as pure ability on the field. Only maybe Watt doesn't fit that mould. Things needed to change massively and I think to a great extent they have.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bennett perhaps but I thought Graham looked shattered for most of the second half and I was amazed when Lambert brought Watt off. Maybe it's just Graham's style but he did an awful lot of walking about and was stranded in an offside position many a time forcing players to stop and play the ball backwards or sideways to keep play alive. On my MoM sheet, he was behind Hanley, Bennett, Lenihan, Evans and even Steele.

Brum's manager doesn't seem to share your low opinion of Graham, Stuart.

Another great showing.

To see us constantly chase down and get in the faces of our opposition, to win second ball after second ball, to see Lenihan come on leaps and bounds, to see Hanley look imperial at the back, to see quality footballers like Gomez constantly looking to thread balls through, two strikers that were an absolute handful, not giving their centre halves a minute peace, we must have got in behind again and again.

Two nil up and keeping a high line, looking for more.

What a turnaround, I've not got involved in the Rhodes debate on here, but I'm unsure to how anyone would not think we are now a better all round side.

Chuffed with the result last night, I thought 'big club' would be much better than they actually were. Starting to really look forward to our games again rather than being really wary and cautious about them. We appear to be starting games on the front foot foir the first time in what seems like an eternity.

If Graham carries on in this great form then Rovers really need to get in there and do a deal as soon as possible, especially with him out of contract in the summer. Also great for Watt to get a goal.

The team is starting to pick itself as well as opposed to the old Bowyer way of pulling names out of a hat (that's certainly how it felt at times).

Yeah that's another recent revelation - we seem to know what our best Eleven is now. This is after years of chopping and changing. We've got a way of playing now. A method of play that gets the ball from our end to their end and keeps it there. The bench is stronger and our substitutions are sensible and are made logically most of the time.

My ratings

Steele - 7 - A magnificent save in the second half to ensure the clean sheet. Kicking better and sublime release for the second goal.

Marshall - 6 - Another composed performance, had more defending to do second half.

Duffy - 7 - Great response after blunder on Saturday, could/should have scored from a corner in the second half.

Hanley - 9 - Captain lead from the front, terrific performance from him. Rolls Royce.

Spurr - 6 - Like Marshall solid from the back, got forward more than he has done in recent matches, coped well with Cotterill.

Bennett - 7 - Runs, and runs.................................and runs. Final ball decisions still need working on, but a real grafter.

Gomez - 6 - Nice and neat as you'd expect, dictated the tempo in the first half, got involved in a scuffle and a rash challenge early in the second half cost him more game time.

Evans - 8 - Another who is quietly improving, mopped up everything the first half.

Lenihan - 7 - Find of the season? Love his battling qualities in the middle of the park, one of the first names on the team sheets at the moment.

Watt - 7 - Took his goal really well, slightly wasteful in the first half and on another night could have had a hat-trick, but improving, with improved fitness he could be a real handful.

Graham - 8 - Worked his socks off once again, took his goal like a Premier League striker, Lambert sign him up!

Subs

Grimes - 6 - Never really stamped his mark on the game.

Jackson - 6 - Forced out onto the right hand side in the last part of the game, worked hard, but lacks that killer instinct when going forward.

Brown - n/a - Cameo appearance from the 'cult hero'. Every touch cheered rather than jeered.

Yeah that's another recent revelation - we seem to know what our best Eleven is now. This is after years of chopping and changing. We've got a way of playing now. A method of play that gets the ball from our end to their end and keeps it there. The bench is stronger and our substitutions are sensible and are made logically most of the time.

When I saw our bench last night that was what immediately struck me as well Tyrone

The stronger bench is what is most pleasing. I used to look at people on here complaining that bowyer didn't make changes quickly enough and think, well, looking at the bench, who would you bring on? Now you can see names you are surprised are not starting. General feeling last night was fans waking up after hibernation. Gradually beginning to feel there was a point in being there, that we were witnessing a renaissance of team spirit, work ethic, tactical awareness and a feeling of connection with our team. Strangers were talking to each other in food queues instead of muttering with their mates. Long may it continue

Yeah I noticed the bench seems to of improved a fair bit, also has some flexibility to it as well with the pace of Jackson some creativity in Grimes and the lump called Brown if we need some more muscle up front.

Loved Rowetts post match quotes in regards to Graham.. a striker out muscling both center backs and us playing balls into the space behind the defense... can't say I have seen that in many a year.

I really thought with the run of games we had and the opponents faced we would be done for by now, instead we are seemingly improving in every way possible.

Fingers crossed we can keep up the performances against the so called lesser teams of the league because we are not facing anyone in the top five in our last ten.

Brilliant win, next season can't come soon enough for me.

The stronger bench is what is most pleasing. I used to look at people on here complaining that bowyer didn't make changes quickly enough and think, well, looking at the bench, who would you bring on? Now you can see names you are surprised are not starting. General feeling last night was fans waking up after hibernation. Gradually beginning to feel there was a point in being there, that we were witnessing a renaissance of team spirit, work ethic, tactical awareness and a feeling of connection with our team. Strangers were talking to each other in food queues instead of muttering with their mates. Long may it continue

I think Watt could be a bit misunderstood, I remember Duff always looking knackered off the ball but then when he got the ball he was the best player on the pitch.

Lambert said last night that Watt is a tremendous talent, but that he needs to get fitter. He said he's a young lad and there is no reason why he shouldn't be fitter than he is. I guess continually giving him 60 mins is part of the fitness plan.

In fact, it's here......

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14330551.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Paul_Lambert_salutes_goal_heroes_in_Birmingham_City_win/?ref=mac

Within the last managerial reign, I think most of us on here constantly raised concerns, however they were never addressed. However within the last 3 months or so:

1. Striker who can hold up the ball and bring other into play - ADDRESSED

2. A central midfield who can control games - ADDRESSED

3. A forward who will actually run at someone, even though it might not always come off - ADDRESSED

4. A winger on the left, who has pace - ADDRESSED

5. Playing with more aggression - ADDRESSED

6. Turning up fitness levels - ADDRESSED

And I'm sure much more, but they are the main points that were always brought up. Get to the summer and try and make Graham and Gomez permanents when they become free agents. Also make Watts move permanent. Like all 3. Get some new full backs and then push Marshall into midfield, combined with adding another couple of neat midfielders and we will have a really good side.

It's funny how plenty of posters on here could see what was going wrong and what was needed to put things right yet the management team either couldn't or wouldn't.

But we must concentrate on the future.......we've been told in more ways than one*

*board moderating included

• Moderation Lead

Posters can talk about what they like, but it just comes across as people being lovesick teenagers when they pine for what's gone before and isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned!

Posters can talk about what they like, but it just comes across as people being lovesick teenagers when they pine for what's gone before and isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned!

I do hope this post gets deleted as it has nothing to do with the brum match ;)

Within the last managerial reign, I think most of us on here constantly raised concerns, however they were never addressed. However within the last 3 months or so:

1. Striker who can hold up the ball and bring other into play - ADDRESSED

2. A central midfield who can control games - ADDRESSED

3. A forward who will actually run at someone, even though it might not always come off - ADDRESSED

4. A winger on the left, who has pace - ADDRESSED

5. Playing with more aggression - ADDRESSED

6. Turning up fitness levels - ADDRESSED

And I'm sure much more, but they are the main points that were always brought up. Get to the summer and try and make Graham and Gomez permanents when they become free agents. Also make Watts move permanent. Like all 3. Get some new full backs and then push Marshall into midfield, combined with adding another couple of neat midfielders and we will have a really good side.

I don't think Gomez is a freebie at the end of the season. I think he has one more year left.

If Sunderland go down, they will probably want to keep him but if its possible, definitely sign up both him and Graham.

I don't think Gomez is a freebie at the end of the season. I think he has one more year left.

If Sunderland go down, they will probably want to keep him but if its possible, definitely sign up both him and Graham.

Mm, a lot depends if Big Sam stays on if they go down. I suspect Gomez isn't a Big Sam player.

Noticed Brown pointing to his chest for the long ball when he came on...bit of sublety Chris LOL!

Glad he didn't score last night when he came on. Hopefully when/if he does its the winning goal it has to be a momentous occasion! Won a free kick with his first contribution from that long ball but had no chance to really do much else.

I did bet 5p on Rovers to win 6-0 last night (refused to bet on Rovers matches in past but for extremely speculative bets I've made an exception) Some cruel people might feel that was better value than betting on Brown scoring lol!

Superb result last night. First half was a truly brilliant performance and we could have gone into the break four up (pen decision for Brum aside). We play a very direct style in some respects but it is such a contrast to the mindless hoofball we saw under GB. It's enjoyable to watch and the team can get it down and play it when they want to.

Strengthening still needed in summer, despite us looking a more complete team, as I doubt Grimes will sign permanently (but hopefully on loan) and I am not sure on Gomez... He's been a little lightweight and arguably a touch disinterested last few games. Graham and Watt were both awesome last night. Watt still has some catching up to do on fitness and he didn't always read where Graham wanted him to be, but I am sure that will come in time. Signing Graham in summer must be a priority and I would be surprised if it didn't happen tbh. Feel we still need a striker or two in summer as I am not sure Brown or Jackson can compete with G+W and a bit of pace would be nice. Bennett and Lenihan also really impressed me last night and Evans is an improvement on Akpan IMO.

Also, anyone else notice how the team seem to avoid giving it to Spurr? He seems to stand out like a sore thumb as the weak link, with Brum targeting him at every opportunity. Maybe he's shot of confidence, but his distribution is horrific. Looks like a deer caught in the headlights whenever he has the ball and he doesn't seem to fit into what Lambert wants to do. No big loss IMO and I'm confident we'll find better in summer.

The more we play, the better we look. Give Lambert a bit of money to spend and we'll be up there competing with the best in the division next season. It's nice to feel optimistic!

Brum's manager doesn't seem to share your low opinion of Graham, Stuart.

I don't have a low opinion of Graham at all.

Time and again, mainly in the second half to be fair, he took his time strolling back before he was onside. It might be a Premier League trait, I don't know, but that's not my opinion, it's a fact.

Personally I'm very glad he is in our side and hope that we can keep him but he may still need to get 'Lambert fit'. He is brilliant at holding the ball up and has an eye for goal. That's no disrespect to any former Rovers players who did not have the benefit of a Gomez behind them or a Lambert alongside them, by the way.

There is no doubt that we have much better strength in depth in our squad and a fitter, more motivated midfield. And we haven't yet spent the £9m that we got for our worst player in January. Imagine what the rest of this squad could now be worth!

I just hope that Lambert is able to convince the majority of our loanees that their future lies with Rovers, and convince their clubs to sell, and somehow find a way to afford them whilst staying complaint with FFP. And turn water into wine. Given where we are now, the £9m may be better spent on permanent contract for some of these guys with only a portion spent on a left and right full back.

Archived