BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Would Jack Think?

I write this with respect to those on both sides.

With the 'owners' not having visited Ewood for 18 months, the appointment of Owen Coyle, no board, very little playing staff, behind the scenes apparent corruption, parts of the stadium being closed and countless other ways the club has been neglected by Venkys... I often ask myself in all this this... "What would Jack think". Obviously not a question asked by the 'owners' despite their hollow promises when they first took over.

Some of you may even ask, "why is that important?" seeing as that is all history and whilst that might be true... Think about that whilst watching Rovers in barely quarter full stadium that was made for Premier League football. Along with Leeds who get far more media coverage our situation is unique to other clubs being run poorly, a premier league football club, former premier league champions with a premier league stadium that has been reduced to what it is, I can't understand those that simply choose to accept it. Like many, I think JW would be utterly disgusted at the state of Rovers now thanks to Venkys and would want or expect the fans to do something about it, I suppose the guys from Seneca actually did and were ignored.

Some of you may argue that Jack would want you to support the club no matter what, fair comment I suppose but I do question that would still be his stance after 5 years of Venky ownership. The amount of people that have actually asked the question in the past week has stuck with me, people from both sides... Those choosing to go next season and those choosing to boycott.

Personally, in light of recent events I think this question is as important than ever when fans consider to renew this summer or not but one thing is for sure... Next season will be the lowest average league attendances at Ewood for many many years. My dad who has been attending a lot longer than I have will not be renewing this season and I certainly won't be attending.

I just found the topic interesting because for all the debate and anger in recent weeks people keep saying "what would Jack think" almost on a whim without actually giving it some serious thought. Perhaps just as important questions would be, "what would he do" or "what would he say".

Be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Well, fwiw, I'm not renewing my season ticket either but I'll always be a Rover.

My decision is down to:

1] the complete contempt Venky's have for us fans and their refusal to have any meaningful dialogue with us;

2] the shambles they've allowed the club to become; but, and principally,

3] the logistics of getting to the game [and more importantly] getting home after games by public transport to my home. It's rarely 7.15 p.m. before I get home from a 3.00 p.m. kick-off. Attending all night matches and many of the Sunday games is out of the question due to the comparative poverty of public transport.

I'm 70 now, not in the best of physical health and for a couple of seasons now, it's just been getting a bigger chore to get to and from games at Ewood. So the last half of last season turned out to be the last straw for me.

Well constructed post, but in my opinion what Jack would think is irrelevant, you should base your decision on what YOU think.

My head says boycott but my heart says attend.

Attend what?

All that I valued from this club has been eroded. Mercenary players, inadequate management, irresponsible owners, divided fan base, poor quality product, shocking ambience, all parcelled and packaged in a toxic, disrespectful, self-serving, disloyal, greedy environment.

Meant to be a response to M1st

That is such a bad thing to read on a sunny Saturday morning, so thanks, Andrew!

.A proper supporter! What a loss to the club, as well as you you personally. I guess this is only a glimpse of what is happening all across the fanbase.

.Funnily enough I have found it particularly hard to watch my kids, hurting and walking away.My youngest was almost begging me to phone Talkspite, but I was too angry and it is a s**t radio station anyway.

There is too much to protest about, too much to explain to outsiders.Even Dylan would struggle to write a song about everything that has gone down in the last six years.

I still remember my first day in Rochdale Social Services and seeing the Rovers picture on your wall.

I hate Venky's for what they have done.

Attend what?

All that I valued from this club has been eroded. Mercenary players, inadequate management, irresponsible owners, divided fan base, poor quality product, shocking ambience, all parcelled and packaged in a toxic, disrespectful, self-serving, disloyal, greedy environment.

We all have our own personal reasons for attending or not attending. I'm more than happy to outline what mine are, but I fear it would be boring for most readers. However, what I will say is that of your list, all but two of those apply to many - if not most - football clubs in the modern era.

He was a big fan first and foremost, so as someone who also classes himself as a big fan, I can only think that, like me, he would feel absolutely devastated by the state of this football club.

But we must try and move away from this boycott/non boycott talk.

I completely understand why anyone would want to avoid Ewood Park for the foreseeable future, but as I've said before, I believe that we must maintain a decent matchgoing support, as we all know that we end up with 6000 crowds- not far off 20000 fewer than attended in 2011- the chance of us ever having a crowd again that can compete in even the Championship have long gone. I am trying to think of a post Venky recovery, as hard as it is to believe we'll ever see one.

You want to make a stand by not going, don't blame you, you want to try and keep the flame going by attending, I'll see you there.

Don't let them divide us.

I have to say, everything else aside I think the last thing he'd want to see would be fans not attending for 'boycotting' reasons, it just doesn't help anything imo, if anything it just gives the owners less resistance so they can do as they like, as for the financial side its just petty cash to them and likely just goes towards paying the wages of the staff&employees at ewood and brockhall.

p.s. I'm personally hoping to get a season ticket this year after not having the money to spare for one last year

He'd probably think about buying them out, sacking them all, closing the business, making sure all three Rao's got good hidings, then returning Blackburn Rovers to its former glorious self.

Then I woke up.

• Moderation Lead

Gav hit the nail on the head a week or two ago. Jack wouldn't be thinking anything. He'd be at the front of the queue knocking these f@@kers into kingdom come. Actions, not words or thoughts unlike our passive fan base.

Plenty of words on here as well from those criticising a lack of action, surely folk can see the irony?

Plenty of words on here as well from those criticising a lack of action, surely folk can see the irony?

Amen to that brother the irony is stark.

Admittedly, what have I done? Nothing. But that's why you won't hear me demanding pitch invasions and the like from others. Equally I can see why anyone would want to take a decision to boycott, however I'm sure as TJ says that Jack would be dismayed by the infighting within the fans.

Saying that, I'm sure he'd appreciate how it got to that. 10 percent hangers on taking the bits cut off the carcous by the bald fat controller, all along the press painting the fans as vitriolic. Crocodile tears on Sky..

We must (as a fan base that I make no claim to speak for) unite with some realistic plan that we can all get behind. I can't see the benefit of the stadium slowly emptying for removing the owners.

The rovers trust rebranded to include as many fans as possible IN THE EVENT of some discussions with Pune? I could potentially put my hand in my pocket for that. Perfect time with so many who would normally spend the cash on a season ticket.

These alternative club ideas and such would make JW shudder just like it does to me. How do we fight as one to get the best for our club?

Oh, I see the irony alright. I also see about twenty threads repeating the 'same old' every time a manager gets sacked, the team gets relegated, an unsuitable manager gets appointed and so on.

Words, words and more words but never any action, except for the odd occasion like the recent VenkysOut hashtag which I thought was a great idea.

I have gone on record as stating my own preferences for protest action, I won't repeat them or indeed bore everyone further, suffice to say no one was interested save a few with similar intentions. Instead, everyone goes round and round in circles repeating the same old stuff that's been done to death.

Jack would have got things done by actions rather than words, that's all I was pointing out.

He'd be turning in his grave, Gob bless his soul.

A man of the Town, who put so much back in and has been let down by so many.

And I'll tell you this, if any of those feckers from Pune so much as think of moving or disrespecting his statue, there WILL Be a riot. I'll personally come down from Scotland and start it!!

Gav hit the nail on the head a week or two ago. Jack wouldn't be thinking anything. He'd be at the front of the queue knocking these f@@kers into kingdom come. Actions, not words or thoughts unlike our passive fan base.

Interesting thread. This post struck a chord. I too think Jack would have acted. But, as a for instance, how would he have done any different than the two Ians have - particularly if they refuse to talk to anyone? How would he smoke them out of their holes? A hostile takeover isn't possible if the main shareholders don't want to sell. He couldn't very well mount a coup at the Ewood offices.

In the absence of any direct business actions, would he be finding a significant protest group or lobbying the media? I imagine he'd have a lot more clout with the LT but not Sky.

I don't believe for one minute he would shrug his shoulders and say 'we just have to get behind Coyle and the team and hope for the best'.

Jack would never ever have sold to these lot even if it meant cutting the club back under his ownership and taking the flak for it. Burnley, Wigan, Bolton, PNE all have resisted going down this route and I'm sure there has been foreign interest sniffing around a time or two.

Walker Trust, Walker Family, David Brown, Robert Coar, Eggerton Vernon hang your heads in shame collectively everyone of you has sold the great mans legacy right down an Indian river !

Difference being that Uncle Jack had the money and influence to take the fight to Venky's. Individually, we as supporters are powerless.

The aim of the Trust was to look after Jack's legacy.

We must be respectful to them:

-they need to re-gather together before there is no legacy left

-they must start seeing themselves as part of the 'rescue'(with the BR Trust and Seneca)

We must point out to them that we need them again....because Jack would have wanted them to intervene.

Too many important people too quiet.

Well constructed post, but in my opinion what Jack would think is irrelevant, you should base your decision on what YOU think.

My head says boycott but my heart says attend.

It seems Vinjay has taken exception to this bit of my post, judging by a direct message I've just received from him on Twitter. As I know you're reading this thread, even if you can't comment on it Vinjay, I've told you before, my Twitter account is mainly for work purposes and my pa has access to it and can read my direct messages. I would not allow you to speak to me in the way you just have done in the real world, and I therefore see no reason why I should do so in the world of social media, hence you are now blocked on Twitter so any further direct messages will presumably disappear into the ether.

I would advise you to tone down the direct messages you send to people, you come across as an arsey little twerp.

Archived