BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

yep nobody can deny that the senior squad is currently to small to last a season in this league, but on the other hand we do have some good quality players amongst that small squad and most of the signings so far do look promising,

Also one positive I personally like to see(even though you personally choose to see it as a negative) by having a small senior squad we are more likely to see our youths get a shot in the first team, which is always good even if they don't quite end up making the grade its still exciting to see how they do, theres always a slight chance of another duff, dunn, wilcox, p jones, etc. being unearthed and nothing is more satisfying than seeing one of your own do well.

Not got a problem with developing the youth squad and seeing them make the step up. But 5 or 6 into a thread bare squad is NOT good management unless they are the Class of '92, which they aren't. More likely Venkys want to rush them through in the hope they can develop a market value and keep the Transfer Cash Machine going. Not necessarily blaming OC for that either, that will be the brief he's been asked to work to, but its a recipe for relegation.

So I don't just choose to see it in a negative light. I see the evidence before me and come to that conclusion, and believe me I wish it was different.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are still some things to be optimistic about whether you choose to see them or not is up to you.

You don't honestly believe that, TJ. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

yep nobody can deny that the senior squad is currently to small to last a season in this league, but on the other hand we do have some good quality players amongst that small squad and most of the signings so far do look promising,

Also one positive I personally like to see(even though you personally choose to see it as a negative) by having a small senior squad we are more likely to see our youths get a shot in the first team, which is always good even if they don't quite end up making the grade its still exciting to see how they do, theres always a slight chance of another duff, dunn, wilcox, p jones, etc. being unearthed and nothing is more satisfying than seeing one of your own do well.

How about seeing 5 or 6 of your own taking you into league 1?

You find it exciting to see the clubs future put further at risk on the off chance we might have another Duff or Dunn in the U21 squad?

Incredible!

As Ama just said, your surely spewing this @#/? for arguments sakes.

Let's say we took away just 2 players - say Marshall and either Hanley or Duffy - how would you rate the quality of the squad then? Tbh I said 2 because realistically that's probably what we'll be looking at.

As for most of the signings looking promising I guess so. However, 3 are unproven in the Championship, so it's not like we've signed 4 of Graham's calibre. It'll be interesting to see whether Stokes and Henry can actually cut it in this league, as it's far from guaranteed. I'd say intriguing rather than promising regarding our signings, and we're still not in a great position. I've said it before if you look at the squad at the end of Bowyer's last full season we're still worse off. Sure we might be a bit better than last season but the trend is generally downwards. Sometimes things jump up a bit - like bringing in Lambert, signing better players than last season (although that could still be questionable imo) but the general trend of the graph is down. And IMV it's the only way it'll continue to head.

Transfers.... Zeki Fryars? Gomez? Any strikers named?

If we pay a fee for gomez it stinks to high heaven

Heard from a good source that the other week nick Powell was offered a deal but he's weighing up other options at the moment and it seems to have hit a brick wall

all 'what ifs' and 'buts' in those replies, so the answers are largely down to your own mindset and outlook, i'm choosing to be pragmatic with a dollop of optimism(all be it a good portion of that is blind optimism)

as for the comment about having to use 5 or 6 untested youths, that again is just speculation, theres still the best part of 2 months left in the transfer window and im expecting there to be at least a few more incomings(of one kind or another) and hopefully not to many(if any) outgoings.

How about seeing 5 or 6 of your own taking you into league 1?

You find it exciting to see the clubs future put further at risk on the off chance we might have another Duff or Dunn in the U21 squad?

Incredible!

As Ama just said, your surely spewing this @#/? for arguments sakes.

sorry that posters now on my ignore list along with a few others ive added in the last 24hrs :red_card:

to answer your question- No im not, but if it makes it easier for you then by all means you just read it that way, bless ya cotton socks.

all 'what ifs' and 'buts' in those replies, so the answers are largely down to your own mindset and outlook, i'm choosing to be pragmatic with a dollop of optimism(all be it a good portion of that is blind optimism)

as for the comment about having to use 5 or 6 untested youths, that again is just speculation, theres still the best part of 2 months left in the transfer window and im expecting there to be at least a few more incomings(of one kind or another) and hopefully not to many(if any) outgoings.

You say it's all what ifs and buts and just our mindset but surely what we're saying is much more likely to happen?

For example you say you hope there won't be any outgoings. But given 99% of the time we've sold our beat players - Jones, Nzonzi, Samba, Gestede - isn't hoping we won't sell any now be a more unrealistic and speculative situation. Doesn't history suggest they will flog the little family silver we have left?

Also saying all this is what ifs - you're right we don't know how many will fail in this league. But that cuts both ways - we don't know that many of them will succeed in this league either. Surely the uncertainty shows its a gamble and not solid foundations for optimism?

Heard from a good source that the other week nick Powell was offered a deal but he's weighing up other options at the moment and it seems to have hit a brick wall

I'm not sure we'd pay anything for Gomez as he's out of contract isn't he? Thought he was. What you've heard about Powell being of interest makes sense... But Iv heard he's a bit of a bell? That what you've heard?

I'm not sure we'd pay anything for Gomez as he's out of contract isn't he? Thought he was. What you've heard about Powell being of interest makes sense... But Iv heard he's a bit of a bell? That what you've heard?

Gomez has another 12 months at Sunderland.

You say it's all what ifs and buts and just our mindset but surely what we're saying is much more likely to happen?

For example you say you hope there won't be any outgoings. But given 99% of the time we've sold our beat players - Jones, Nzonzi, Samba, Gestede - isn't hoping we won't sell any now be a more unrealistic and speculative situation. Doesn't history suggest they will flog the little family silver we have left?

Also saying all this is what ifs - you're right we don't know how many will fail in this league. But that cuts both ways - we don't know that many of them will succeed in this league either. Surely the uncertainty shows its a gamble and not solid foundations for optimism?

yes the odds are on your side and i have no problem with 'your side'( :( ) thinking whatever you choose, just don't @#/? on my views or insult me just because i'm preferring to go with the long shot that things can still improve.

I'm not saying that you personally have been insulting, but to many(and 3 or 4 in particular) on 'your side' have on a constant basis.

As for samba, nzonzi, jones, gested, rhodes,..... they where sold because THEY wanted to leave, i think the club did all they could to convince some of them to stay(by offering them more money than they where probably worth)

We haven't got a squad at this point.

We've got 17 established outfield players. Even if we then throw in the likes of Mahoney, O'Sullivan, Nyambe - that takes us to 20 - however there are big question marks over those 3 and whether they are ready/capable to play every week in the Championship.

17 isn't enough. 20 isn't enough. If a miracle happens and everyone stays fit and free from suspension all season then we're still extremely limited in options. What can we do if players are out of form or we're 2-0 down and want to make game-changing substitutions? The players aren't there.

At the moment we've got a competitive team. Sign another 5-6 and I might accept we've got a decent squad.

I've been impressed by Coyle quickness to bring in 5 signings and for getting Danny Graham to come here.

we still need 3 or 4 signings but also I think its very important that Coyle bring through the youth aswell. I think O'Sullivan might move on if he not part of the first team plans but I think he wants to make the grade here. hope he gets the chance.

Coyle is praising Marshall on LET today. As he doesn't sign the extension this sounds like the sale talk. Marshall is hardly getting interest from PL but our rivals should be willing to pay seven figures. As he is on last 12 months is £2M best we can get.

I hope that Coyle is trying/discussing a new contract with Marshall and his agent

Sell young proven Ben Marshall to be replaced by an ageing struggling Liam Feeney ...... who in their right minds would buy a season ticket right now with such uncertainty.

Rovers Supporters!!!!!!

Signings, or lack of them, has never really come into the decision to buy a season ticket. If it did I would have stopped buying them about 40 years ago!

exactly. You support the club as its your club not just because of the signings that summer/season

I've been impressed by Coyle quickness to bring in 5 signings and for getting Danny Graham to come here.

we still need 3 or 4 signings but also I think its very important that Coyle bring through the youth aswell. I think O'Sullivan might move on if he not part of the first team plans but I think he wants to make the grade here. hope he gets the chance.

I hope that Coyle is trying/discussing a new contract with Marshall and his agent

Rovers Supporters!!!!!!

exactly. You support the club as its your club not just because of the signings that summer/season

and there you go SUPERFAN SNOBBERY

Too right it would just stink of lining pockets again for the sake of it which would be of no surprise at all. According to Wigan fans Coyle wasn't keen on him anyway but Gomez fancies going back there because in his words he feels loved. They allegedly had a deal in place where S'land would release by mutual consent to get him off the payroll.

Absolutely bonkers we should put a contract in front of him never mind pay a fee. If they want him then it should be same terms as Wigan or get him on loan.

Leave well alone I'd say, hopefully we are being played so maybe Wigan stump something up for him.

Exactly what i've been to about Powell.

yes the odds are on your side and i have no problem with 'your side'( :( ) thinking whatever you choose, just don't @#/? on my views or insult me just because i'm preferring to go with the long shot that things can still improve.

I'm not saying that you personally have been insulting, but to many(and 3 or 4 in particular) on 'your side' have on a constant basis.

As for samba, nzonzi, jones, gested, rhodes,..... they where sold because THEY wanted to leave, i think the club did all they could to convince some of them to stay(by offering them more money than they where probably worth)

You're not going to get any insults from me and you're entitled to your views - just so happens that I disagree! Any mention of side is purely regarding viewpoint - we're all on the same side Blackburn rovers.

Personally I can't see how you can be positive - we've been crapped on time after time in the big things and the small and I'm struggling to see how it can still be taken. Under Bowyer I was frustrated thinking things could be better, now I'm just sickened. Bar family ties Rovers hold little pleasure these days.

Anyhow I digress. Responding to what you've said I (funnily enough) disagree. The club had in the past been able to retain players who wanted away - Samba stropped every transfer window for example - so I doubt every good player was kicking off to go. Jones for example could/should have been convinced another 12 months regular footy was best for him. Also if it's not a flog em and get all the cash why were there no replacements of a decent/comparable calibre. Other than FFP/ embargo time we never adequately replaced any player who left for a big fee. So very little was reinvested. Like everything else those owning us are the villains of the piece with no interest in running us properly.

Gomez has another 12 months at Sunderland.

Sunderland don't want him, he's available on a free, the problem is no one will offer him the same wage. So he needs to negotiate a pay off with Sunderland before other clubs will touch him, something that will only happen at the end of the window.

Rovers Supporters!!!!!!

And sometimes you have to make a stand, voice dissent and agitate for change for the long term good of the Club.

There's many ways to be a SUPPORTER.

Gomez was highly rated by Lambert and scored som great goals and a stunning Winner against MK dons. Hes been unsettled and has the Quality but is he motivated?

Cant see wes Brown on any pictures from Austria... Any news?

Gomez was highly rated by Lambert and scored som great goals and a stunning Winner against MK dons. Hes been unsettled and has the Quality but is he motivated?

Cant see wes Brown on any pictures from Austria... Any news?

still there in Austria

He's a bell he couldn't make wigans play off with qpr due to a brush with the law the night before

As far as Gomez is Concerned heard Sunderland are willing to pay up his remaining 12 month contract.. He's Allright when the suns shining and your winning 2 nil not for a battle at barnsley on a cold Tues evening

Archived