BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

Rhodes wanted to speak to every club that showed an interest. He left the squad at his own request on the night before a cup tie.The subsequent sale of Rhodes proved to be no problem at all. Graham replaced him, improved the team and the team scored more goals without Rhodes than we did with him - just as I said we "could". Selling Rhodes is nothing to do with our current problems. Not securing a better player for free, who actually wants to be here is just one of our many problems now - all brought about by the feeble Raos.

I think selling Rhodes played a bigger part than you think. It is my opinion though. Selling your most valuable asset and failing to bring in sufficient quality replacements rarely ends well. Graham was a better player in some areas but not in others. At his age, with his legs going, to class him as a suitable long-term replacement for Rhodes is daft IMO. Of course it's all brought about by the Rao's. That was my argument for not selling. Now we have no strikers on the books and no money to bring in suitable replacements. I'm not blaming you for wanting to sell Rhodes and strengthen other areas (if we had sensible owners I'd have agreed), I just couldn't see it happening myself and it didn't in the end.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some would have said similar about bruce though prior to hull

I don't know TJ. Bruce's managerial record looks stronger to me. He managed to not completely bollix up his last few jobs before taking over Hull. He never set the world on fire but didn't make quite a pig's ear of them as Coyle has managed. Also, I get the impression Bruce has far more respect in the game than Coyle. OC would never have got near another Championship job if we hadn't come along.

Rhodes wanted to speak to every club that showed an interest. He left the squad at his own request on the night before a cup tie.The subsequent sale of Rhodes proved to be no problem at all. Graham replaced him, improved the team and the team scored more goals without Rhodes than we did with him - just as I said we "could". Selling Rhodes is nothing to do with our current problems. Not securing a better player for free, who actually wants to be here is just one of our many problems now - all brought about by the feeble Raos.

Ignoring for a second our old difference on opinion, den:

Is it any bleeding wonder he wanted away, given the shambles of a club that we now are?

Selling Rhodes has everything to do with our current problems. We have absolutely no ambition, and any player who has any will NOT come to "Blackburn Rovers 2010 FC".

But we were starting to look a better team under Lambert, than when Rhodes was here, no denying that.

The owners decisions over the last 6 months again defy logic, changing direction/plan all the time and no clear leadership. Imbeciles of the highest order.

I agree and I think had Lambert been allowed some money to reinvest, we'd have come out of it a lot healthier. Rhodes is a cracking player, no doubt, but he was a luxury for us considering our threadbare squad which was lacking in true quality. No surprise the Venky's did a U-turn and it meant we lost a cracking player and were only able to strengthen with loanees.

Ignoring for a second our old difference on opinion, den:

Is it any bleeding wonder he wanted away, given the shambles of a club that we now are?

Selling Rhodes has everything to do with our current problems. We have absolutely no ambition, and any player who has any will NOT come to "Blackburn Rovers 2010 FC".

Who can blame him? In a squad with no real quality, having to run around like a headless chicken up top. Rhodes was too good for us and so I don't blame him for jumping ship. I imagine a few more will be on their way this summer should opportunity arise (and if there's anyone to answer the phone).

Heard Brighton are sniffing around Marshall and he could consider leaving. Been told Hanley is happy to stay though.

When steve bruce first took over hull they where down to the bare bones, yet he manage d to cobble together a decent squad quickly and without spending a fotune, then got promoted.

So it is possible at least!

They weren't in the shambles or chaos we are in

Who can blame him? In a squad with no real quality, having to run around like a headless chicken up top. Rhodes was too good for us and so I don't blame him for jumping ship. I imagine a few more will be on their way this summer should opportunity arise (and if there's anyone to answer the phone).

Heard Brighton are sniffing around Marshall and he could consider leaving. Been told Hanley is happy to stay though.

Exactly same for anybody of any 'talent' and just why nobody will stay should they come (on loan) and will be the reason why the team will not gel nor get anywhere near the playoffs this coming season for sure

As many have said -it has relegation season written all over it.

I don't know TJ. Bruce's managerial record looks stronger to me. He managed to not completely bollix up his last few jobs before taking over Hull. He never set the world on fire but didn't make quite a pig's ear of them as Coyle has managed. Also, I get the impression Bruce has far more respect in the game than Coyle. OC would never have got near another Championship job if we hadn't come along.

Dont get me wrong ive always rated bruce, just saying that a few points in his career he was seen by many as a mercenary manager(and one with a dubious record when it comes to spending real money on players)

Come on just clutching at straws here that things aren't absolutely as bad as it seems and there's still some hope.

I agree and I think had Lambert been allowed some money to reinvest, we'd have come out of it a lot healthier. Rhodes is a cracking player, no doubt, but he was a luxury for us considering our threadbare squad which was lacking in true quality. No surprise the Venky's did a U-turn and it meant we lost a cracking player and were only able to strengthen with loanees.

They clearly thought he could get us up last year, which just reeks of arrogance from people who don't know the game.

One of the most amazing aspects of their tenure is their decision making. By the laws of probability/sheer damn luck you should get the odd decision right. This mob have constantly made the wrong decision at every turn. They must be due a good one soon, just through luck.

If it's so easy bringing in high quality youngsters on loan, why doesn't everyone do it? Defending Coyle is not something I do lightly at this point, but there is no getting around the fact that he's been remarkably successful in the loan market. Then again, that's probably the main reason for him getting the job in the first place; Willing to work without transfer fees.

If it's so easy bringing in high quality youngsters on loan, why doesn't everyone do it? Defending Coyle is not something I do lightly at this point, but there is no getting around the fact that he's been remarkably successful in the loan market. Then again, that's probably the main reason for him getting the job in the first place; Willing to work without transfer fees.

The clubs he was at when he loaned most of the well known quality player where in the prem league, thugh weren't they? Not as easy to get big clubs to let their very best young players go out on loan to clubs in lower leagues(especially clubs that are struggling in lower leagues)

But we are out of embargo, have sold 20 mill of players since last summer and are owned by someone who has assets of 60 billion. It's not adding up again................ :rover:

Without the connection that somebody like Jack had to the club - why keep throwing money at Rovers ? We are just another part of their business empire - if by some miracle we get promoted great, if not keep the losses to a minimum and try to keep in the Championship.

People keep saying they don't know what they are doing, have no connection to the club, don't understand what the club means to the community etc etc - and then wonder why they don't throw money at us out of some form of guilt for what they have done to us.

It would appear that Lambert was one last throw of the dice - IF we had done better under him and IF the crowds had returned - then possibly they would have put forward the funds for this season. But as with all things Venky's that is only guess work.

I wish they would talk to the two Ian's - if only to start some dialogue with the fans.

Without the connection that somebody like Jack had to the club - why keep throwing money at Rovers ? We are just another part of their business empire - if by some miracle we get promoted great, if not keep the losses to a minimum and try to keep in the Championship.

People keep saying they don't know what they are doing, have no connection to the club, don't understand what the club means to the community etc etc - and then wonder why they don't throw money at us out of some form of guilt for what they have done to us.

It would appear that Lambert was one last throw of the dice - IF we had done better under him and IF the crowds had returned - then possibly they would have put forward the funds for this season. But as with all things Venky's that is only guess work.

I wish they would talk to the two Ian's - if only to start some dialogue with the fans.

It's been a scam from Nov 2010 and continues to be the great football club swindle

I really think that anyone still going is going for the social side and too just watch a game or going with family etc it's no longer BRFC as we knew it and I'm not just on about the jack years I'm on about way back longer

Why bother keeping hold then ? most savvy business people cut their losses. Why not throw some money at it to actually build it up and try and make a success of it then they can have some good publicity ? It needn't take 20 mill and not even promotion just a decent rolling investment and a genuine plan to go for it.

For me they've had their fun and fair share of hassle now, the vast tv money since they took over has dried up, the only real last big investment/asset has been cashed, the lenders have reached equity and slammed the vault shut on this one as a result so they're done.

They are too selfish to pass it on and see someone make a go of it, too worried about the numerous skeletons that will fall out in a normal takeover and have got their team of accountants to find a way of using the books to their advantage instead.

We've all been having these type of debates at this time every season and we'll be having the same one in a years time, 2yrs time etc etc.

Why bother keeping hold then ? most savvy business people cut their losses. Why not throw some money at it to actually build it up and try and make a success of it then they can have some good publicity ? It needn't take 20 mill and not even promotion just a decent rolling investment and a genuine plan to go for it.

For me they've had their fun and fair share of hassle now, the vast tv money since they took over has dried up, the only real last big investment/asset has been cashed, the lenders have reached equity and slammed the vault shut on this one as a result so they're done.

They are too selfish to pass it on and see someone make a go of it, too worried about the numerous skeletons that will fall out in a normal takeover and have got their team of accountants to find a way of using the books to their advantage instead.

We've all been having these type of debates at this time every season and we'll be having the same one in a years time, 2yrs time etc etc.

As you say the debates will continue as long as they own us - as in truth nobody can make sense of it all.

Coyle said "It's not rocket science to understand that we certainly need to get a few strikers in to add to some very good players that we have."

Just the words I wanted to hear! This man is a genius; what an appointment

Coyle said "It's not rocket science to understand that we certainly need to get a few strikers in to add to some very good players that we have."

Just the words I wanted to hear! This man is a genius; what an appointment

We must have another squad of "very good players" we're waiting to roll out for next season, because he cannot be on about the regular shower of @#/?.

Don't disagree generally DMTP .

Problem is they have had 5 years and its cost them over £100million in debt on top of what they bought it for. basically you would think they either carry on gambling if money is really no object for people of their supposed wealth......or you call a halt to proceedings and look for the exit. They appear to be doing neither, a bit like Tomphil has suggested, so what is it that they expect to happen by appointing a manager (ignoring who that may be and however good or bad) and expecting him to operate with a minimal budget and deal in loan players???

Which makes the decision to close off any talks with the Ians completely baffling. The only explanation is that they don't know what to do other than pray for a miracle because they know they just can't open the books to any buyer and expose the real situation to anyone.

It has to be that or they would at least have been prepared to listen to the Ian's who apparently were a) offering to help put a structure in place and get the Club motoring from that side of things and b ) were bringing cash to the table to invest in the squad.

just why would you in their position , simply ignore that. ???

Somebody who knows the Ian's pretty well told me they were gobsmacked that the only response to their proposals was that announcement on the Club website so these lot didn't even have the decency to reply to them. They really don't give a sh1t .

Don't disagree generally DMTP .

Problem is they have had 5 years and its cost them over £100million in debt on top of what they bought it for. basically you would think they either carry on gambling if money is really no object for people of their supposed wealth......or you call a halt to proceedings and look for the exit. They appear to be doing neither, a bit like Tomphil has suggested, so what is it that they expect to happen by appointing a manager (ignoring who that may be and however good or bad) and expecting him to operate with a minimal budget and deal in loan players???

Which makes the decision to close off any talks with the Ians completely baffling. The only explanation is that they don't know what to do other than pray for a miracle because they know they just can't open the books to any buyer and expose the real situation to anyone.

It has to be that or they would at least have been prepared to listen to the Ian's who apparently were a) offering to help put a structure in place and get the Club motoring from that side of things and b ) were bringing cash to the table to invest in the squad.

just why would you in their position , simply ignore that. ???

Somebody who knows the Ian's pretty well told me they were gobsmacked that the only response to their proposals was that announcement on the Club website so these lot didn't even have the decency to reply to them. They really don't give a sh1t .

Running us into the ground, don't give a sh*t

Part of me thinks the reasoning may be something dodgy in the books that they don't want any potential buyer finding out or any football authority finding out... I just can't think of any other logical or feasible option for dragging us to oblivion other than saving face by not letting anyone see the full accounts.

Part of me thinks the reasoning may be something dodgy in the books that they don't want any potential buyer finding out or any football authority finding out... I just can't think of any other logical or feasible option for dragging us to oblivion other than saving face by not letting anyone see the full accounts.

They have a thin amount of people on the ground, who do what they are told. They are half a world away and English authorities give feck all interest in their business's.

We are in a black hole of disinterest and mismanagement.

Apart from the fans, no-one gives a toss?

Archived