BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a way forward although when you think of how Sky are all over Leeds in this div then parity would be hard to come by.

Well they already treat Leeds like the Man U of this division in as much as a lot of teams only get shown when Leeds are involved.

Just wait until this season as well with the barcodes and possibly the other claret and poo

• Moderation Lead

No good being a good striker if you can't provide the service to him.so I wouldn't sign him at all costs. I'd sign him if I still had enough money to address some of the other glaring inadequacies in the squad. I'd hope we could get him, but not if his demands are high

Glaring inadequcies- pretty much sums up our squad..... ^_^

I'd like to sign Graham but we have to remember Lambert tailored the play for him to get the best out of him so Coyle would have to do the same you'd think. Doesn't strike me as someone who'll poach goals no matter how the team is set up as he's an old school type centre forward.

• Backroom

Those quotes from Coyle read to me like we won't be offering him much so he will go elsewhere.

Coyle will have his own (or his overlords) targets in mind and to me it doesn't read like Graham is top of that list

Those quotes from Coyle read to me like we won't be offering him much so he will go elsewhere.

Coyle will have his own (or his overlords) targets in mind and to me it doesn't read like Graham is top of that list

Yeh, we're simply being prepped for the inevitable next stage. Somebody offered him more, and we're not able to compete with these 'big-hitters'. Seen this one already played out plenty the last few years.

I'd like to sign Graham but we have to remember Lambert tailored the play for him to get the best out of him so Coyle would have to do the same you'd think. Doesn't strike me as someone who'll poach goals no matter how the team is set up as he's an old school type centre forward.

Bunkum.

Tailored the play? Old school?

Graham is a technically sound centre forward. He's quality, nothing to do with what others do.

A good test of how serious the owners and Coyle are, about getting good players into the club. We'll see.

If you don't know how serious the owners are by now den you never will.

I'll be very surprised if we bring anyone in, even current players can't get deals sorted out, how do we expect to sign other teams players when we can't sign our own.

Bunkum.

Tailored the play? Old school?

Graham is a technically sound centre forward. He's quality, nothing to do with what others do.

He is Den I rate him but he won't score the goals like you know who did despite how crap the team was ;)

I'm sure you know what I mean when I say old school, get it forward early for DG and hit it down the channels etc. Doesn't Coyle like a more on the deck 442 approach ?

He is Den I rate him but he won't score the goals like you know who did despite how crap the team was ;)

I'm sure you know what I mean when I say old school, get it forward early for DG and hit it down the channels etc. Doesn't Coyle like a more on the deck 442 approach ?

According to Bolton and Wigan fans it was plenty of long ball...

Shame, because the fans would be racing back if he got the team 'playing the right way'. :glare:

Getting it forward early isn't old school Phil :) , it's still the way many teams play. I think Graham has the technique to play any type of game, unlike you know who, who can't play any. Graham was also played in a 4-4-2 with Watt while he was fit, so that's not a problem.

The only thing against Graham now though, is his age. He's probably only got another two or three years left playing how he does.

Getting it forward early isn't old school Phil :) , it's still the way many teams play. I think Graham has the technique to play any type of game, unlike you know who, who can't play any. Graham was also played in a 4-4-2 with Watt while he was fit, so that's not a problem.

The only thing against Graham now though, is his age. He's probably only got another two or three years left playing how he does.

Your first point, bunkum.

Second point, if he's lucky. He's a good player, but he'll do well to stay performing week-in week-out in the Championship beyond this coming season (he's 31 in two months).

• Backroom

Graham is OK but his "quality" (as a decent Championship forward) has to be put into context. We can't expect miracles from him, and he will need to perform miracles with the squad that's likely to have been thrown together by the time our first game kicks off.

He's also somewhat susceptible to injury and no spring chicken. If we're relying on him to keep us up then I'm not too optimistic it will work out. He's going to need support from the rest of the team.

Which is a good thing for Blackburn Rovers as he knows he's got a definite place in the first team here.

I hope they sign him but we do need another goalscorer (at this level) and a couple of backups. Bench wise I'd look at the best that league 1 can offer in terms of young goal scorers. Tom Bradshaw maybe? Nicky Ajose scored a lot but a £500,000 bid was knocked back recently from a Championship team, I doubt we'd bid £50,000.

Graham is OK but his "quality" (as a decent Championship forward) has to be put into context. We can't expect miracles from him, and he will need to perform miracles with the squad that's likely to have been thrown together by the time our first game kicks off.

He's also somewhat susceptible to injury and no spring chicken. If we're relying on him to keep us up then I'm not too optimistic it will work out. He's going to need support from the rest of the team.

He'll need to perform miracles? Bunkum.

He's going to need support from the rest of the team? Away with you D.E. Never!

"Graham is OK, but his "quality" as a decent championship forward needs to be put into context" - what on earth does that mean? Does it mean you don't rate him, or you're still upset about Rhodes leaving? My guess would be the second one.

Which is a good thing for Blackburn Rovers as he knows he's got a definite place in the first team here.

I hope they sign him but we do need another goalscorer (at this level) and a couple of backups. Bench wise I'd look at the best that league 1 can offer in terms of young goal scorers. Tom Bradshaw maybe? Nicky Ajose scored a lot but a £500,000 bid was knocked back recently from a Championship team, I doubt we'd bid £50,000.

Coyle has a big job on here and finding three - or four strikers who can do a good job is going to be the real tester. I think he'll largely sink or swim on those players. The front men need to be able to "play" if you know what I mean. Three or four ten goals a season strikers who contribute little to performances would come cheap, but won't be anywhere near enough for our needs IMO.

Coyle has a big job on here and finding three - or four strikers who can do a good job is going to be the real tester. I think he'll largely sink or swim on those players. The front men need to be able to "play" if you know what I mean. Three or four ten goals a season strikers who contribute little to performances would come cheap, but won't be anywhere near enough for our needs IMO.

As promotion is not on the agenda any longer I'd be thinking of signing Graham, bringing in another decent striker (not necessarily a world beater but someone who will make space and score more than a few), someone for the bench to make up the numbers (contributing the odd goal here and there) and a young lower division player who has scored plenty of goals (a risky option that might come good, and be one for the future). That way we've got all bases covered.

It's such a shame, I think with about £10m to spend on transfers there's players around who can do a job in this league.

Marshall can also be called upon to bolster the strikeforce should injuries arise.

We do need an experienced midfielder though. Not Gomez.

Graham or Chrissy Brown though DE?

• Backroom

He'll need to perform miracles? Bunkum.

He's going to need support from the rest of the team? Away with you D.E. Never!

"Graham is OK, but his "quality" as a decent championship forward needs to be put into context" - what on earth does that mean? Does it mean you don't rate him, or you're still upset about Rhodes leaving? My guess would be the second one.

Haven't mentioned Rhodes at all den - he's not a Rovers player any more, so I'm not interested in him. Time for that tiresome debate to be put in the past.

I didn't mean to upset you with my post. My point was that if we sign Graham but don't improve the rest of the squad (what's left of it) he would need to perform well above being a good Championship striker to keep our heads above water. If signing Graham would reduce what we could spend on bringing in other good squad members then it's a pointless effort.

I rate Graham as a decent Championship striker, for sure. He really impressed me during his time on loan last season and changed my mind about him as I hadn't rated him much before then. My concern is that we'll end up spending what paltry amount we have on Graham then sign dross on loan to compliment him.

Of course, more than likely we'll sign dross without getting Graham.

Graham or Chrissy Brown though DE?

Well, we'll probably start the season with neither so it doesn't much matter!

Archived