BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Efl Trophy

Tom

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a freebie last night through work, thoroughly enjoyed it and thought a number of the younger lads did well. I'm not convinced this means they are ready for the first team but I think its enough to show they have a future in professional football at a decent level. Mahoney was the pick of the bunch as has been mentioned but I think a season on loan where he is guaranteed games and exposed to the competitive nature of Tuesday/Saturday football for a full season will do him the world of good.

Despite the general farce of the inclusion of u-23 sides, from a narrow Rovers perspective, I do hope/think this will be a good experience for the young lads. Perhaps just not a moneymaker :)

Exactly. If I had been aware of the game at Fleetwood I would have gone to see some of the younger players.

Was ashamed the club accepted the invitation. Fully behind everyone who is against this, the guys at "Against League 3" are doing good work against the F.A. to stop the moneyball football clubs ruining English football.

It's dissapointing that we're persevering with the likes of Feeney when Mahoney is knocking on the door.

Once again Groundhog Day continues. Not saying much for the Academy when the first team has been mostly appalling for a few seasons yet the youth have hardly been seen.

I'm fairly certain that his Man City appearance then seemingly permanent disappearance was little more than some betting scam.

Was ashamed the club accepted the invitation. Fully behind everyone who is against this, the guys at "Against League 3" are doing good work against the F.A. to stop the moneyball football clubs ruining English football.

So are the FSF, here's a article and document of the communication from the football league to all clubs regarding a winter break, regionalisation of the bottom two division and moving FA cup games to midweek

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/football-league-restructure-plan-taken-to-clubs

Exactly. If I had been aware of the game at Fleetwood I would have gone to see some of the younger players.

It was a good work out for them PB and provided them with the sort of opposition which many of them need. Sadly, despite almost yearly tinkering, the Reserve/Under-21/Under-21 system simply doesn't work anymore. With loans not being available after the window closes it means youngsters are stuck playing in an inferior League competition instead of gaining experience lower down the league structure. I can fully understand why clubs like the Rovers want to be involved in this sort of competition and can also see why clubs in Leagues One and Two are against it. We badly need to make the bridge between Academy and First Team football more challenging than what we have had over the past few years.

It was a good work out for them PB and provided them with the sort of opposition which many of them need. Sadly, despite almost yearly tinkering, the Reserve/Under-21/Under-21 system simply doesn't work anymore. With loans not being available after the window closes it means youngsters are stuck playing in an inferior League competition instead of gaining experience lower down the league structure. I can fully understand why clubs like the Rovers want to be involved in this sort of competition and can also see why clubs in Leagues One and Two are against it. We badly need to make the bridge between Academy and First Team football more challenging than what we have had over the past few years.

They pretty much had the ideal system with the Central (later Pontins) League. It was ideal to blood youngsters as invariably they would be playing against some experienced players who couldn't get into the first team or coming back from injury. I came across many full internationals playing in this league and there were no half measures as far as the commitment went. Also most of the teams played at their own grounds which again was really good for young players.

Typically the authorities thought they knew best and replaced it with under 21 football which was pretty much non contact and sterile.

They pretty much had the ideal system with the Central (later Pontins) League. It was ideal to blood youngsters as invariably they would be playing against some experienced players who couldn't get into the first team or coming back from injury. I came across many full internationals playing in this league and there were no half measures as far as the commitment went. Also most of the teams played at their own grounds which again was really good for young players.

Typically the authorities thought they knew best and replaced it with under 21 football which was pretty much non contact and sterile.

Couldn't agree more arbitro. In the early sixities I well remember seeing any number of internationals and established players turning out every other Saturday afternoon in Central League games at Ewood Park. Once again the authorities scrap something that worked and have spent years fiddling around and ended up with a system which is not fit for purpose.

Every time I see the name I think it's the Elf trophy

There is - its small with funny looking ears handles. Think Prince Charles's head but bald.

EDIT: I need to own-up. I really did think is was ELF :rock:

As someone has already said it's a throwback but not as good as the old Central League. I recall having the freedom of Ewood to watch Rovers Reserves v WBA and decided to stand in the Darwen End - the only person there but had a great view of Andy McEvoy smashing one home.

Interesting quote from the Stevenage chairman about the meeting when the backdoor to League 3 cup was discussed.

Crri4_1WEAAdbsw.jpg

Absolutely disgusting how the Premier League clubs can effectively blackmail Football League clubs into changing the rules of their own competitions.

The FA should be in ultimate control and should be able to determine how much money finds its way in to the lower divisions. Their decision to allow the Premier League to run itself for itself was the beginning of the end for English football, both at international level and in the lower leagues.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone spot that there was a game on at Ewood last night?

Decent match for the neutral but a bit of a wave to the future if we are relegated.

Feeney had his "that tackle" moment by scoring a pearler but was easy the worst player on the pitch and skied his penalty into the stands to lose the game for us.

He shouldn't be anywhere near this club. Amazing how we will have seen worse players in the shirt before and they are quickly dropped and quietly released but nowadays we have to watch them week in week out.

Did anyone spot that there was a game on at Ewood last night?

Decent match for the neutral but a bit of a wave to the future if we are relegated.

Feeney had his "that tackle" moment by scoring a pearler but was easy the worst player on the pitch and skied his penalty into the stands to lose the game for us.

He shouldn't be anywhere near this club. Amazing how we will have seen worse players in the shirt before and they are quickly dropped and quietly released but nowadays we have to watch them week in week out.

Did any of the young lads stand out? I follow the reports on Twitter of the under 23's and Mahoney's name seems to be mentioned lots, how did he look? I've always wanted Raya to come good as I'm not Steele's biggest fan but he seems to allow soft goals and make absolute worldie saves in equal measure.

Did any of the young lads stand out? I follow the reports on Twitter of the under 23's and Mahoney's name seems to be mentioned lots, how did he look? I've always wanted Raya to come good as I'm not Steele's biggest fan but he seems to allow soft goals and make absolute worldie saves in equal measure.

Hardcastle and Tomlinson caught my eye, very lively in the centre, and I thought Wharton was good for the most part. Having to do all the running for his geriatric partner can't be easy mind. I'm a big fan of Mahoney and he had flashes of good play. Just needs that end product.

Disappointed really and the number of first teamers being given game time. That's fine for normal fixtures (to an extent) but surely the whole point of destroying the JPT format was to give 'big club's youngster experience in 'proper' matches, so that was taken away to an extend. Disappointed that Raya was in the sticks ahead of Fisher for instance, and Feeney... well I've already said my piece.

All in all a much more enjoyable experience than watching the first team at the moment and my lad is really enjoying it too.

What the heck is the "checkatrade trophy"? And what the heck is the efl cup?

Core Blimey. Why do the British make everything so complicated?

EFL (English Football League) is what they've started calling The Championship & Leagues One & Two, I guess it's a crappy marketing thing to make it sound trendy like how they've started calling dance music EDM.

Archived