BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is This What The Once Family Friendly Club Has Become?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be avoiding any individuals who shows outward support for any terrorist organisation, whether that's the IRA, the UVF or someone further afield.

Unfortunately, due to close geographical proximity to Northern Ireland, there's always the possibility players from there carry that 'baggage'. Duffy himself got 'hacked' by a mate who tweeted something pretty inflammatory.

I think posters of a certain age will have different feelings to the younger posters on this.

With bombing campaigns a regular occurrence when we were kids/teens its still very raw, despite having the historic peace deal in place which was a tremendous achievement by all concerned.

This will go round and round in circles for weeks or months I'm sure, but with Stokes very vocal support for these terrorists, I'm uncomfortable with that, like I would be if our 25 goal a season striker openly supported ISIS.

But when all is said and done, it wouldn't stop me going, Venkys are the reason I'll stop going.

I think posters of a certain age will have different feelings to the younger posters on this.

With bombing campaigns a regular occurrence when we were kids/teens its still very raw, despite having the historic peace deal in place which was a tremendous achievement by all concerned.

This will go round and round in circles for weeks or months I'm sure, but with Stokes very vocal support for these terrorists, I'm uncomfortable with that, like I would be if our 25 goal a season striker openly supported ISIS.

But when all is said and done, it wouldn't stop me going, Venkys are the reason I'll stop going.

Anthony Stokes is arguably worse as he supports a splinter group that opposes said peace process, which has brought so much more peace and stability to Northern Ireland.

I did my dissertation on the peace process recently, so I have some knowledge on it. In the environment there in the late 60's/early 70's, it is perhaps understandable why these groups were formed, with communities often feeling helpless and in need of defence. However, as the years rolled on the actions of said groups went beyond the pale and caused so much harm and distress.

It's not a debate for this board really, but Stokes has been monumentally stupid supporting a dissident group who have little to no support in Northern Ireland. Why he, someone from Dublin who has no tangible connection to what happened there, is supporting said groups is beyond me.

Then again, the Real IRA seem to just commit crime/racketeering in the guise of Republicanism. I don't think many of the members are that bothered about Northern Ireland, and are simply attaching themselves to a criminal gang for self gain.

From my understanding, his Dad is probably the issue, and Stokes is guilty by association.

Rubbish, possibly an excuse if he was a 5 year old. Does his mum still dress him?

I'm afraid that shows a complete ignorance of criminal/gangster families in places like Dublin.

Do some research on the father, and you'll see that he likes to use his son's position as a footballer in certain circles. The behaviour of Stokes Senior is what sambo was referring to (someone who clearly has done his research if you read all of his post), so your analogy is a pretty poor one.

I'm afraid that shows a complete ignorance of criminal/gangster families in places like Dublin.

Do some research on the father, and you'll see that he likes to use his son's position as a footballer in certain circles. The behaviour of Stokes Senior is what sambo was referring to (someone who clearly has done his research if you read all of his post), so your analogy is a pretty poor one.

So Daddy forced poor Anthony to attend those events and jump on stage with pro IRA mates? We have not or are signing the Father although never say never under Venky's

It's another example of Jacks memory and legacy being shat on by people who couldn't care less. Crooks, drunks, liars, terrorist sympathisers and I am sure there will be more to come.

4 years ago was it ? Maybe he's grown up a bit since then and distanced himself. I'm still more worried about a 3 year contract being slapped in front of him straight off.

Depends which event you mean, more than one, but all his Dad's fault so no worries.

Why does every small step forward at this club feel like a big step backwards?

We need dialogue from the owners - we get statements that they are ignoring the fans who might be able to help them

We need an experience manager - we get an ex-Burnley whose career is a downward trajectory akin to the one Venkys have the club on

We look at players - they don't fit with our expectations or needs - either on or off the pitch

On the subject of Stokes, if we sign anybody decent there will be some baggage. If we don't want baggage we will have to be happy with mediocrity.

If there is a moral issue in this case then it needs to go far wider than this and needs to take into account the fact that those really responsible for the 'troubles', who were around at the time of the atrocities, are now part of the political make up of Northern Ireland. If we are going to get the banners and pitchforks out for somebody because they are allegedly part of an appreciation society then we really should be taking a stand about much bigger elements.

It's a real thorny one.

There's obviously the (understandable) "not at my club" stance and if there are fans in this bracket (who will walk away) then this is yet another alienation of anothrr section of the fanbase. I also wonder how the likes of Duffy and Evans might react to this one?

It's like those people in charge of our club are looking at every aspect of our fanbase and trying to find a way to switch them off.

What would he do when we have have troops on the pitch at the remebarance match? Turn his back to them? Stay in the changing rooms for the Last Post? Certainly wouldn't have a poppy on his shirt.

Depends which event you mean, more than one, but all his Dad's fault so no worries.

I was just going off that article so I don't know the rest.....yet :unsure:

One day we might make a straight forward signing !

Why does every small step forward at this club feel like a big step backwards?

We need dialogue from the owners - we get statements that they are ignoring the fans who might be able to help them

We need an experience manager - we get an ex-Burnley whose career is a downward trajectory akin to the one Venkys have the club on

We look at players - they don't fit with our expectations or needs - either on or off the pitch

On the subject of Stokes, if we sign anybody decent there will be some baggage. If we don't want baggage we will have to be happy with mediocrity.

If there is a moral issue in this case then it needs to go far wider than this and needs to take into account the fact that those really responsible for the 'troubles', who were around at the time of the atrocities, are now part of the political make up of Northern Ireland. If we are going to get the banners and pitchforks out for somebody because they are allegedly part of an appreciation society then we really should be taking a stand about much bigger elements.

It's a real thorny one.

There's obviously the (understandable) "not at my club" stance and if there are fans in this bracket (who will walk away) then this is yet another alienation of anothrr section of the fanbase. I also wonder how the likes of Duffy and Evans might react to this one?

It's like those people in charge of our club are looking at every aspect of our fanbase and trying to find a way to switch them off.

Duffy is from Derry but represents the Republic, and got caught out with an IRA tweet that he blamed on a mate.

Evans is on the other side of the divide there, so I'd imagine his reaction might be different to Duffys. He might be be indifferent though.

What would he do when we have have troops on the pitch at the remebarance match? Turn his back to them? Stay in the changing rooms for the Last Post? Certainly wouldn't have a poppy on his shirt.

Maybe not, but we should take care not to over simplify

There were thousands of Irish people fighting in the trenches in 1916, for instance, and they found the world had changed for them on their return- after what was a stupid as well as cruel decision by Maxwell and co.

At the same time, there are lots of British people, who won't wear a poppy now, either because they think the symbol has been hijacked or because they think that the troops were abused, as cannon fodder by the ruling classes.e.g..

And when he saw them marching up Whitehall

I remember what old Arthur said

He said the donkeys are all wearing poppies

So I shall wear dandelions instead

For me, I can see the move to Blackburn as a fresh start, away from Glasgow with its particular sensitivities. Meanwhile, I am sure there will be people ready to set him up on Remembrance weekend. I hope he has sensible counsellors around him...

All wars would end if Politicians children were forced to fight on the frontline.

Whatever side of the divide Stokes is on there is no excuse for supporting violent acts against anyone. Like others have said these groups now hide behind the 'cause' to engage in crime.

All wars would end if Politicians children were forced to fight on the frontline.

Whatever side of the divide Stokes is on there is no excuse for supporting violent acts against anyone. Like others have said these groups now hide behind the 'cause' to engage in crime.

Agreed. The word 'Republican' is used for credibility, but the Real IRA don't seem to be fighting for that particular cause.

It can go round and round in circles, and the Troubles there aren't as simple as some would try to suggest, but there is no need for any paramilitaries in Ireland in 2016. The vast majority of people of all political hues have realised this, but a small minority seem reluctant to move with the times.

If we're being generous, perhaps Stoke just has a few dodgy mates, and is ignorant/doesn't support the beliefs/organisations they represent. I don't know the background, but it was clearly an own-goal from him.

Archived