SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep!

Key players in place i.e the agency manager who sings the praises of the struggling player, who's supported by the agency influenced reporter both local and national both adding their biased opinions for mass public consumption to aid the sale of a player.

Easy money .....the football industry!

So you Blackeeburney fans just don't spoil the model as it's frowned upon when there's millions to be made here !

Chaddy out !

Are you off your meds again?

Do you bother reading anything I post?

I comprehensively set out it was a fallacy for the Rhodes money to have been fully or even half spent in January. But you ignore any post that is reasoned and bursts your pro Rovers bubble.

Chesterton also said we wanted a manager with a record of success, would work in the current structure and promotes youth players. (I also showed this before but you ignore any post that contradicts what you say with evidence.) I'd suggest Chesterton isn't above telling a porky or two.

Strange statement. Are you anti-Rovers? You are extremely negative about all things blue 'n' white so it's worth asking.

Who's this Chesterton fella?

Strange statement. Are you anti-Rovers? You are extremely negative about all things blue 'n' white so it's worth asking.

Think he means Mike Cheston.

strange that a few people have posted this Chesterton guy.

Coyle has been saying if the young players perform they will play. Listen to his interview after Bury/Morecambe games

Told you back when Lambert left that the squad will be bulked with 7/8 kids. This has nothing to do with them being good enough.

Some of them might be, but this is certainly not a grand plan. We are filling the squad with kids as we have no other option.

Woah, you got me on a spelling error - well done.

Yeah, I'm negative. Nearly 25 years of supporting Rovers through think and thin, but having spent the last 5 years being dumped on by Venkys - it's enough to make anyone negative. The reason I'm so negative is 1) I care so much and 2) because there is so much to be negative about (wouldn't you agree?) Take the new manager for example - there's so much suspicion and murkiness surrounding his appointment, it's hard to be anything other than worried, and that's before you look at his record. I admit there are a few positives - Graham and the City lad - but let's be honest there's a huge amount more shadows than there is light, it's hard to see how fans cannot be concerned with where we are heading and how we are getting there.

But hey say I'm not a Rovers fan - that's a great way to win an argument/put someone down, saying they are not a real fan. (Funnily enough, where have we heard that recently...?) Check my posting history if you like, been on the board a fair while - think you'll see me having celebrated highs, moaned at lows, been to a number of games. I really do hope that makes your standard of what makes a fan.

Didnt we buy Dann to replace Jones?

Agree on Samba but Graham has replaced Rhodes.

Coyle has said he will play Young players. Good enough old enough.

I outlined where some of the Rhodes money might have gone. Let me just say this again SOME of the Rhodes Money

The some is an addition to a later post but assuming you are right at best that's still leaves us with over 5.5 million unaccounted for (and a more realistic guess would place that over 6m.) Not massively reinvesting is it?

Also factor in that:

1) Graham was meant to partner Rhodes, it seemed as if there was some intent to do this http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/danny-graham-new-signing-blackburn-rovers-2912622.aspx - perhaps a bit of revisionism going on here.

2) If we're talking about replacing Rhodes, when left in the January, we'd only signed Graham on loan, in other words we'd replaced our main striker with a loan till the summer. Happily it "worked out" and we got Graham on a permanent contract, but I'm far from wild about swapping our star striker for a loan signing, as that's a backwards step.

Looking at Dann for Jones - given we were a financially stable club at the time, and assuming Dann cost the £6m reported it is pitiful we "reinvested" less than half the money received on strengthening the squad. Given the more likely cost of Dann was £2 or £4 million (as a lot was in add ons) this goes to show how little we are investing in the team.

Also I could've added in other examples such as N'Zonzi, Emerton Nelsen etc. - it all goes to show we are not reinvesting but slowly asset stripping the squad.

Didnt we buy Dann to replace Jones?

Agree on Samba but Graham has replaced Rhodes.

Coyle has said he will play Young players. Good enough old enough.

I outlined where some of the Rhodes money might have gone. Let me just say this again SOME of the Rhodes Money

I don't think you grasp how budgets work.

We have a budget for the year on wages, it's set at the start of the year. If we sell a player on a large chunk of money then we can use the difference on other players. If you are clever enough then you can keep it down below your original level.

Any incoming money from transfers will not be spent on wages.

There may be a loan fee but it will be in the 100,000s bracket.

The Rhodes money has gone into the black hole, not in the team.

But hey say I'm not a Rovers fan - that's a great way to win an argument/put someone down,

I didn't say you weren't a Rovers fan and i wasn't tryin to put you down. I was just wondering why someone is so relentlessly negative about Rovers, even on the odd occasion there is a little smidgen of good ok news. It's just like you accusing Chaddy of being in a 'pro-rovers bubble', but from the opposite perspective. I just can't understand the relentless moaning, probably in much the same way as you, and many others on here, can't understand why anybody would feel any hope for the club. That was all.

Anyway, transfers. Not the worst transfer window ever, at least not yet ;)

Told you back when Lambert left that the squad will be bulked with 7/8 kids. This has nothing to do with them being good enough.

Some of them might be, but this is certainly not a grand plan. We are filling the squad with kids as we have no other option.

Is that apart from the four they've already brought in? I'd expect another three on loan / freebies and a further two players bought for small fees reliant on sales.

Don't know about you but I'd rather they pad the squad out with our kids rather than 10 bob journeymen?

My glass is always half full.

Is that apart from the four they've already brought in? I'd expect another three on loan / freebies and a further two players bought for small fees reliant on sales.

Don't know about you but I'd rather they pad the squad out with our kids rather than 10 bob journeymen?

My glass is always half full.

Always, but let's not dress this up any other way than that. We don't have 4/5 kids who are going to come bursting through like at United/Leeds in days gone past.

They are basically football pollyfilla.

And we have brought four in and stand at 16 professionals. That is simply appalling.

Someone who couldn't find Ewood with a TomTom telling a proper Rovers fan how it is. That's nauseating.

And yet I have a better grasp of the situation than this "proper Rovers fan".

Always, but let's not dress this up any other way than that. We don't have 4/5 kids who are going to come bursting through like at United/Leeds in days gone past.

And we have brought four in and stand at 16 professionals. That is simply appalling.

We are all set to be this seasons Bolton I'm afraid.

I can see Coyle bringing through 3 or 4 players this season.

I don't think you grasp how budgets work.

I fully understand Budgets thanks

We have bought in 5 signings so far and looking for 4 more signings(3rd Keeper, Left Back and 2 strikers) and plus any replacements for any players leaving

the current squad is:-

GK's :- Steele, Raya

Defender's :- Lowe, Henley, Hanley, Duffy, Ward, Hendrie

Midfield's :- Marshall, Bennett, Feeney, Conway, Mahoney, Akpan, Evans, Byrne, Lenihan, O'Sullivan, Guthrie

Forwards :- Graham, Stokes

So that's is 21 first team players.

From the youth team then start to bring through Wharton(CB), Nyambe(RB), Hardcastle(CM)

O'Sullivan is nowhere near the quality required to be a first team player, Wharton doesn't look strong enough yet and Nyambe didn't show anything at the weekend that makes you think he is close to making the step. I saw Hardcastle play for Salford where he did reasonably well, however its pub football and an enormous step to play in the championship in the middle of the park.

The only player who looked close to being a squad player was Mahoney and that's based on a friendly against a league 1 team with several triallists.

• Backroom

We have bought in 5 signings so far and looking for 4 more signings(3rd Keeper, Left Back and 2 strikers) and plus any replacements for any players leaving

Midfield's :- Marshall, Bennett, Feeney, Conway, Mahoney, Akpan, Evans, Byrne, Lenihan, O'Sullivan

So that's is 20 first team players.

From the youth team then start to bring through Wharton(CB), Nyambe(RB), Hardcastle(CM)

A relegation squad if I ever saw one. Take away Hanley and/or Marshall and we are well and truly in the brown stuff.

I didn't say you weren't a Rovers fan and i wasn't tryin to put you down. I was just wondering why someone is so relentlessly negative about Rovers, even on the odd occasion there is a little smidgen of good ok news. It's just like you accusing Chaddy of being in a 'pro-rovers bubble', but from the opposite perspective. I just can't understand the relentless moaning, probably in much the same way as you, and many others on here, can't understand why anybody would feel any hope for the club. That was all.

Anyway, transfers. Not the worst transfer window ever, at least not yet ;)

Hmmm saying i'm anti-Rovers isn't saying I'm not a fan? Care to explain then what anti-Rovers means then.

I think the difference between so much positive and so much negative is that there is so much negative to be about. Time after time there's so much negative stuff happening. This summer alone we've been slated by a director, had the family stand moved, had a sham of a managerial search coupled with an appointment that is poor and dubious. I think in the face of all the negativity surrounding the club and happening - it's a perfectly logical response!

Put it this way if I trashed your car, burgled your house repeatedly, slanderer you in the paper - the next time you see me walk down your drive how will you react? I imagine you would be a little negative and suspect I'm up to no good.

Midfield's :- Marshall, Bennett, Feeney, Conway, Mahoney, Akpan, Evans, Byrne, Lenihan, O'Sullivan

So that's is 20 first team players.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'first team player'. If the criteria is that they have appeared for the first team in a competitive game then fine, O'Sullivan and Mahoney both count, however in my opinion there remain major question marks over whether they can 'cut it' at Championship level, and shouldn't therefore at this stage be considered first teamers. Of course I would be as pleased as anyone if those two lads came in and performed well and became important players for us, but at this stage it is too early to say and extremely risky to be pinning our hopes on them. Bowyer didn't really see fit to give either of them a real run in the first team, nor did Lambert who was willing to give Lenighan the chance, and now Coyle is talking about it but only because he's under pressure to bring someone(anyone) through to justify Cheston's remit of having to work with the kids.

In my opinion, taking away the goalkeepers and those two, we're at 17 established (proven) outfield players, with the very real likelihood of 3 leaving before the season starts in Duffy, Hanley and Marshall. Even if by some miracle we manage to keep all three, we're going to struggle to fill the bench even if we have no injuries or suspensions. Then we've to look at Guthrie and Lowe's recent injury records and ask are they going to manage a full season of 3 games a week? Highly unlikely. Hanley, Evans and Akpan pick up yellow cards for fun, so they are all likely to need to sit out games. Byrne and Hendrie are completely untested at this level. No doubt they're highly rated young lads but many others have come out of Premier League clubs and struggled to adapt in this league, so I'm hanging fire before hailing their signings as brilliant business.

All in all I'd say we need at least 4 additions, assuming nobody leaves. We certainly need another couple of forwards and a left back at the bare minimum as it stands.

It is slightly concerning that things have gone so quiet on the incomings front. My suspicion is that Venkys are not allowing any more incomings until someone is sold, and with that in mind Hanley will be off very shortly so that Coyle can use a fraction of that cash to bring in 2-3 frees/loans. I'll be astonished if we pay a fee for anyone.

For anyone who loves Rovers, there is absolutely nothing to be optimistic about.

Some though are in denial and carry on as if nothing has changed.

It's not "anti-Rovers" it's anti-Venkys.

For anyone who loves Rovers, there is absolutely nothing to be optimistic about.

Some though are in denial and carry on as if nothing has changed.

It's not "anti-Rovers" it's anti-Venkys.

Thing is, faux naïfs like blueboy & Jbizzle are well aware of the @#/? we're in. They just like arguing for the sake of it.

Archived