BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Disenfranchised said:

Someone's balls should be in a vice for the failure to conduct transfer affairs in this businesslike manner this time last year. Whoever thought putting a clown faced failed dingle in charge of matters on the pitch was clearly deluded to the point of derision. Just imagine how things might have turned out if there'd been even a half decent football manager at the helm last season, rather than that areosol...

Anyway, if things continue like this there might even be some pleasure in taking in the odd game in the coming season, rather than stewing melancholically in the slough of despond, as per recent years. Keep em coming 'Tone.

Venkys out! Backwards stawt.

Totally agree

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Looks like Dack will be announced in the next day or two. Cracking signings, adds much needed flair into the side. Hopefully we can add Bostock too and a pacy winger, and our midfield options with then be impressive. A couple of strikers to add and then the top end of the pitch is covered. 

Building a proper team at last, we'll have a stronger squad than last season. 

Hope I'm wrong, but I'd guess that Dack will see the end of interest in Bostock/Oztumer. Looks like we'll only have room for one of them in the starting XI, and there's not a chance these players will come to sit on the bench in L1 in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more about pacey winger. Josh King aside, I can't remember the last player we had with genuine pace.

Just now, rovers11 said:

Two strikers I would say. Dack can play the number 10 role. I wouldn't want to rely on Graham (injury prone) or Stokes (unreliable). We need one goalscorer and one pacy striker. TM is focusing on the midfield first as he knows that's our weakest area. He's done an excellent job in addressing that area so far. 

Yes we defo need at least two strikers. The Walsall lad and another one. I'd leave raya in goal. I'd like to sign another right back as cover for nyambe but I'm assuming we won't lose anyone which is doubtful 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

One thing I like about Bostock is he had ability and potential when younger, in rovers sides gone by previously these were the sort of players in our market. Like a Bentley type but obviously a Lower scale.

Bolton mate asked me what did I think of Jason Lowe, he's heard they are looking at him. 

Been predicting he'll end up there for a while after a trotter pal who's a bit in the know over there said he'd heard months ago they'd be after Lowe if they got promoted. Think a move there will suit him and wouldn't be surprised to see him take far less wagers than he was on at Ewood just to stay in the championship.

If we get Dack and spend money in the process then I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy with the business done so far. Having said that we're still very much a work in progress.

Dack (if he signs), Whittingham, Smallwood, Evans (if fit), Stokes (if he can be bothered), Graham, Bennett, Conway, Feeney, Nyambe, Ward, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams - that's 14 established outfield players. An injury or two and we can't fill a bench.

A promotion winning side really needs 2 players for every position. As it stands, assuming everyone is fit and nobody leaves, we've a strong 11, but very little beyond that. That has to change, especially when we factor in the ages/injury records of Ward, Evans, Graham etc.

Just now, TBTF said:

Chaddy last time Mowbray managed in league one, how many players did he sign for Coventry in pre season assembling his own squad ? And what happened?

i would exercise caution before thinking TM is the next Pocchetino

Yes Mowbray has managed in league 1 before and he kept Coventry up in the first season and then in his only full season he finished 8th with them. season after didn't go well but I understand budget were cut a lot from the previous season.

on Players signed, don't forget he signed players like Ryan Kent, Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy on loan.

Here is Coventry 2015/16 season summary and players signed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Coventry_City_F.C._season

so far he has signed 2 experience centre midfielders in Whittingham and Smallwood plus its appears we are close to signing Bradley Dack who is number 10/attacking midfielder who scores goals at this level. IMO, that's smart and sensible business.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Dack's been in a sulk at Gillingham for a year. How long will it be before he tweets some criticism of Blackburn the town?

Sounds like another Bradley Orr to me. 

Got to trust Mowbray and his coaching staff to get Dack playing to his potential and performing

(btw Jim still no response to my questions in the cricket thread. wonder why?)

Just now, Eternal Optimist said:

What is with some in here, constantly moaning about every signing we make despite not actually seeing them play! Just can't please some folk 

some fans will never be pleased whichever happens and like a moan at everything

5 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Sorry to rain on your bonfire but Dack is bloody awful - one paced, limited and a greedy bugger.also told by a mate who watches Gillingham that he's not a good sort and not well liked by his team mates. Sounds like Stokes will be a soul mate for him.

why are people so impressed at signing somebody from Gilingham ffs???

its like the last 12 months never happened on here let alone the last 7 years.

Dack scored goals at this level and Mowbray will knew about him and his quality after managing in this league. he scored 6 goals last season, 15 goals the season before(15/16 season) and 10 goals the season before(season 14/15).

Just now, TBTF said:

Aye ok- onwards and upwards. All is forgiven Venkys. Tell you what pal , I would much rather they threw a few quid at trying to keep us up last year than trying to convince us this is some brave new dawn.

scumbags the lot of them- enjoy the quality on offer EO.

I have seen no posts saying Venkys are forgiven at all but some people agreeing with some of the signings and Mowbray making some good signings and having a proper recruitment plan finally.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Couldn't agree more about pacey winger. Josh King aside, I can't remember the last player we had with genuine pace.

Could it be as far back as Bellamy?

I like a player with pure pace.  Like you say though, we don't often get them at Rovers.

Just now, JHRover said:

If we get Dack and spend money in the process then I'll be pleasantly surprised and happy with the business done so far. Having said that we're still very much a work in progress.

Dack (if he signs), Whittingham, Smallwood, Evans (if fit), Stokes (if he can be bothered), Graham, Bennett, Conway, Feeney, Nyambe, Ward, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams - that's 14 established outfield players. An injury or two and we can't fill a bench.

A promotion winning side really needs 2 players for every position. As it stands, assuming everyone is fit and nobody leaves, we've a strong 11, but very little beyond that. That has to change, especially when we factor in the ages/injury records of Ward, Evans, Graham etc.

Yes we should be happy business we done so far but still work and signings to be done.

You mention 14 established players but I think you got to including Tomlinson and Wharton as I expect them to be part of it. I think we both expect Feeney to go. so that's 16 players. so we would need about another 4 players to coming in and that's not include possible sales I think we need a full back who can play either side unless Mowbray is confident that Travis and Doyle can step up, a centre midfielder/number 10 player(Gladwin been mention so he could be this player), a pacey winger and a striker. Do you agree JHRover?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we should be happy business we done so far but still work and signings to be done.

You mention 14 established players but I think you got to including Tomlinson and Wharton as I expect them to be part of it. I think we both expect Feeney to go. so that's 16 players. so we would need about another 4 players to coming in and that's not include possible sales I think we need a full back who can play either side unless Mowbray is confident that Travis and Doyle can step up, a centre midfielder/number 10 player(Gladwin been mention so he could be this player), a pacey winger and a striker. Do you agree JHRover?

I expect you're right that Tomlinson and Wharton will be included in the squad, but that doesn't really qualify them as 'established' players at this stage. Between them they've about half a dozen cameo appearances for the side, so whilst hopes might well be high that they progress to become mainstays of the first 11, they aren't there yet and it could be a lengthy process before they are there. The same applies for Travis and Doyle. Its all well and good hoping they step up or being confident in them if they are needed, but we simply don't know yet if or how they will cope with life in League One. 

The other issue is whether Mowbray is throwing these lads in because he thinks they are ready for it or whether he's agreed to do so to avoid needing to add depth to the squad through new signings. If its the latter then it isn't really good news.

I'm trying to be positive, but i look at the number and wages of outgoings and it doesn't surprise me that Mowbray has got permission to add a few decent players the other way. These lot will all be on much less than the likes of Akpan and Lowe. The real test will come down the line when Mowbray wants/needs more but the wage limit is reached or when someone comes sniffing for some of our players.

I think we probably need 2 strikers, because even if Stokes stays I wouldn't want to depend on him and it is highly likely Graham will miss games due to injury or need replacing due to fatigue in matches. We need youth/energy/pace up front but also someone with height and strength. We definitely need at least one further midfield addition. I'd also be looking at someone like Kilgallon or a younger variation to offer cover for CB and LB if needed.

15 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Yeah seems very reliable.  Better than nicko and his cryptic messages 

Nicko has literally been silent on anything RE Blackburn. Genuinely think Blackburn have sorted themselves out since Coyle and the accountants have told them to spend or be in serious trouble with he authorities.

Just now, JHRover said:

I expect you're right that Tomlinson and Wharton will be included in the squad, but that doesn't really qualify them as 'established' players at this stage. Between them they've about half a dozen cameo appearances for the side, so whilst hopes might well be high that they progress to become mainstays of the first 11, they aren't there yet and it could be a lengthy process before they are there. The same applies for Travis and Doyle. Its all well and good hoping they step up or being confident in them if they are needed, but we simply don't know yet if or how they will cope with life in League One. 

The other issue is whether Mowbray is throwing these lads in because he thinks they are ready for it or whether he's agreed to do so to avoid needing to add depth to the squad through new signings. If its the latter then it isn't really good news.

I'm trying to be positive, but i look at the number and wages of outgoings and it doesn't surprise me that Mowbray has got permission to add a few decent players the other way. These lot will all be on much less than the likes of Akpan and Lowe. The real test will come down the line when Mowbray wants/needs more but the wage limit is reached or when someone comes sniffing for some of our players.

I think we probably need 2 strikers, because even if Stokes stays I wouldn't want to depend on him and it is highly likely Graham will miss games due to injury or need replacing due to fatigue in matches. We need youth/energy/pace up front but also someone with height and strength. We definitely need at least one further midfield addition. I'd also be looking at someone like Kilgallon or a younger variation to offer cover for CB and LB if needed.

I think at centre back we are cover as we got 4 centre half in  Lenihan, Mulgrew, Ward and Wharton. Plus Nyambe and Williams can play there aswell. I would rather look for full back who can play both full back position.

I think we need a pacey winger, another centre midfield/number 2 and I would agree with your 2 strikers suggestion. one with pace and one target man.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Nicko has literally been silent on anything RE Blackburn. Genuinely think Blackburn have sorted themselves out since Coyle and the accountants have told them to spend or be in serious trouble with he authorities.

Looks like Mowbray is keeping everything in house and out of media attention.

All depend whether Nixon's source is still in the know or still there

As exciting as signing players for once actually is..

If our kids in the academy aren't good enough to play at this level then they're not worth keeping around.

Time to give the kids a chance and mould them around the players we kept and SOME key signings, but I don't think we should sign an entirely new squad as some people seem to want.

I'm satisfied with TM's transfer business so far, esp if Dack is the latest addition. If so, then I think that's midfield completed now. Would think focus will now switch to the forward roles. I expect probably 2 quality additions there, possibly on loan.

3 hours ago, TBTF said:

Chaddy last time Mowbray managed in league one, how many players did he sign for Coventry in pre season assembling his own squad ? And what happened?

i would exercise caution before thinking TM is the next Pocchetino

If I'm being honest that has been in the back of my mind too.  How many at Coventry were his signings?  Or Venus' for that matter.  Is it a cause for concern? I want to be optimistic cos for the first time we have a manager who looks to have a real plan, knows who he wants and Venks are letting him get them.  Excited by that but can't get the Coventry thing out of my head.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I like a player with pure pace.  Like you say though, we don't often get them at Rovers.

But when we do have.them we let them rot on the bench until they make a mark in the Prem.  Mind boggling.

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

If I'm being honest that has been in the back of my mind too.  How many at Coventry were his signings?  Or Venus' for that matter.  Is it a cause for concern? I want to be optimistic cos for the first time we have a manager who looks to have a real plan, knows who he wants and Venks are letting him get them.  Excited by that but can't get the Coventry thing out of my head.

People learn from there mistakes (in some cases) 

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

What a fantastic little player he was...a rare pacy forward that an end product as well.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We probably need that or even more after all the loanees and out of contracts went. 

Getting business done early doors and not cobbling a squad together late on is the correct way to go about things TM knows this and knows he has to take us back up or he's a busted flush 

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

Coventry owners cut the budget by 50% I am led to believe the season aftet they finished 8th. I have copy that link for that season and the signings. Have a look mate. 

Mowbray has a really proper recruitment plan with players signed to fit the tactics and style. Coyle never did last season

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Mowbray has managed in league 1 before and he kept Coventry up in the first season and then in his only full season he finished 8th with them. season after didn't go well but I understand budget were cut a lot from the previous season.

on Players signed, don't forget he signed players like Ryan Kent, Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy on loan.

Here is Coventry 2015/16 season summary and players signed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Coventry_City_F.C._season

so far he has signed 2 experience centre midfielders in Whittingham and Smallwood plus its appears we are close to signing Bradley Dack who is number 10/attacking midfielder who scores goals at this level. IMO, that's smart and sensible business.

Got to trust Mowbray and his coaching staff to get Dack playing to his potential and performing

(btw Jim still no response to my questions in the cricket thread. wonder why?)

some fans will never be pleased whichever happens and like a moan at everything

Dack scored goals at this level and Mowbray will knew about him and his quality after managing in this league. he scored 6 goals last season, 15 goals the season before(15/16 season) and 10 goals the season before(season 14/15).

I have seen no posts saying Venkys are forgiven at all but some people agreeing with some of the signings and Mowbray making some good signings and having a proper recruitment plan finally.

Back to the sly digs - some fans never happy. This is what gets you into trouble.

Also it wouldn't kill you to admit people have valid reasons for caution based on evidence and the minor detail Venkys have spent 7 years screwing us over.

Evidence it seems can only be used to back your point of view.

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Back to the sly digs - some fans never happy. This is what gets you into trouble.

Also it wouldn't kill you to admit people have valid reasons for caution based on evidence and the minor detail Venkys have spent 7 years screwing us over.

Evidence it seems can only be used to back your point of view.

I admit plenty of times before what Venkys over 7 years has been shocking and wrong but none of it can be undone. I dont keep going on about cos I cant change it or use a time machine to go back and change it sadly(wish I could). 

So what can be done? For me, support the manager/head coach what his title is, the players we got plus the signings we make. My season ticket was renewed. 

Yes some fans will never be happy about some signings. Never mention the owners at all. Its the transfer thread so I talk transfers

30 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

What a fantastic little player he was...a rare pacy forward that an end product as well.

He'd get in my all time team. I loved his will to win and his expectations of those around him to do the same too. That kind of desire, mixed with the respectful leadership of say Nelsen, is a couple of the key things I miss since the Venky Virus took hold.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I admit plenty of times before what Venkys over 7 years has been shocking and wrong but none of it can be undone. I dont keep going on about cos I cant change it or use a time machine to go back and change it sadly(wish I could). 

So what can be done? For me, support the manager/head coach what his title is, the players we got plus the signings we make. My season ticket was renewed. 

Yes some fans will never be happy about some fans. Never mention the owners at all. Its the transfer thread so I talk transfers

You intermittently talk about transfers - rest of the time you're settling personal scores or blowing your own trumpet about your football manager knowledge.

Archived