BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plymouth Argyle may have to look elsewhere for their new number nine, with reports claiming that Cardiff have accepted an offer from Blackburn for Rickie Lambert.
Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/plymouth-argyle-target-rickie-lambert-could-be-heading-to-blackburn-rovers/story-30426856-detail/story.html#uYW3wBrqbXvoeOJt.99

balls

We have been stung with players in the twilight of their careers too often. I wouldn't touch Lambert or Agbonlahor. The latter was pretty much a one trick pony (that trick has long gone by the way) and Lambert is far too immobile and too similar to Graham. Money down the drain if either of these two has beens get a deal.

Some contradicting nonsense over the last few posts here

Firstly people were saying we had a bid accepted for Lambert, now they are saying his contract has been terminated by mutual consent. 

Gabby Agbonlahor has pictures on Instagram of him training with the Villa squad in Portugal

Step down mob, things are not what they seem

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

Lambert Whittingham agnonlahor and McMahon.

poor poor poor

3 we haven't signed, one we won't sign. You talk as if we had an already aging squad as opposed to the actual truth;

We are on the bones of our arse. The squad is built on youth, Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, and Wharton are potentially first team starters next season... hardly "old men" are they?

Is there a chance you could comment on football matters WITHOUT basing every comment on the preconceived agenda that Tony isn't good enough?

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Firstly people were saying we had a bid accepted for Lambert, now they are saying his contract has been terminated by mutual consent. 

Gabby Agbonlahor has pictures on Instagram of him training with the Villa squad in Portugal

His contract has definitely been terminated by mutual consent:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/rickie-lambert-leaves-cardiff-city/

4 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

poor poor poor

What? We have signed one of them, a quality signing in most knowledgeable peoples opinions,. The other 3 are pure speculation.

The McMahon link now appears to have been manufactured by his agent to get a better deal at his current club

Agbonlahor is in Portugal

Lambert on a free, class signing. 

Marquis, Akinde all linked too. Why did you leave them out of your poor, poor, poor post? 

1 minute ago, Biz said:

3 we haven't signed, one we won't sign. You talk as if we had an already aging squad as opposed to the actual truth;

We are on the bones of our arse. The squad is built on youth, Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, and Wharton are potentially first team starters next season... hardly "old men" are they?

Is there a chance you could comment on football matters WITHOUT basing every comment on the preconceived agenda that Tony isn't good enough?

We have signed Whittingham though.

Just now, davulsukur said:

We have signed Whittingham though.

3 we haven't signed, (Gaby, MchMahon, Lambert) one we won't (McMahon)...

I cant believe I had to explain that..

Just now, Biz said:

What are you even on about biz? Have you been in the sun to long today? I've no agenda about Mowbray so I'm not sure where that has come from.

The concept of signing and targeting past it or aged players is as I've pointed out previously. I appreciate that may be beyond your ability to comprehend somewhat.

11 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

poor poor poor

56 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Tony Mowbray old mans army! 

Old mans army, poor poor poor..

I'm absolutely compus mentus, and from the reading of your posts, id say in a much better position to discuss football with experience.

So please, could we have a side of realism with your input? 

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

I'm absolutely compus mentus, and from the reading of your posts, id say in a much better position to discuss football with experience.

If we don't sign experience and end up missing out on promotion the very same fans will be saying "why didn't Mowbray sign proven quality and experience" Can't win

''I feel sorry for tony, guy oozes football and just a geniuine footballing nice guy, had the pleasure of his company twice now and both times he's been bang on.

They need to listen to this bloke, the only appointment bar Gaz who actually I think has the club at heart or no.1''

Edited May 22 by Dunnfc

Unless Dunnfc has changed his mind in the last five weeks ..

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

Alright, my bad but you cheated and used the same guy twice. :P 

Oh, I see why now. Apologies. I probably should've added that one of those who HAD signed (whittingham) was agreed to be a good punt, not "poor poor poor".

Can I just add, I'm aware that the owners have put us in this mess, but unless we start discussing things in isolation, we may as well just have one thread named "thanks for ******* us over Venkys".

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we don't sign experience and end up missing out on promotion the very same fans will be saying "why didn't Mowbray sign proven quality and experience" Can't win

Well the classic "tomphilesque" lines would be;

a. We are only buying young players to sell

b. We are only buying older players to give them one last payday!

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

''I feel sorry for tony, guy oozes football and just a geniuine footballing nice guy, had the pleasure of his company twice now and both times he's been bang on.

They need to listen to this bloke, the only appointment bar Gaz who actually I think has the club at heart or no.1''

Edited May 22 by Dunnfc

Unless Dunnfc has changed his mind in the last five weeks ..

Well that's not the impression I got from his latest input. He's (Dunn) actually spot on this.

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Phew!

48 minutes ago, Biz said:

Of course they on the face of premonition appear poor (Record/Form Wise), not well thought out (Life-Cycle Cost Wise), quantity of bodies at a particular age (Lack of Re-sale/Ability to Improve). I don’t believe I’ve changed my contestation on this.

However as insinuated previously you need a particular blend of types for a “balanced” squad. That may include signing one or two more experienced players however given we have Mulgrew, Graham, Ward and Feeney all on the wrong side of 30 already then it’s surely not permissible nor strategically astute mid-long term to pack the squad with much more of these types. That is why I question both Mowbray’s policy on recruitment, I doubt these were the idealic signings Senior identified on his “B” list and as such we appear to be recruiting with a scattar gun approach.

I think we know collectively all too well how it went last time with Etuhu, Murphy, Orr all recruited on the wrong side of 30 and as such set aside onerous provisions in the accounts to the tune of 6.5 million just to pay these off and Best which itself was only concluded and fully realised in the YE 30th June 2016.

The quantity of bodies we require to come through the door is disproportionately high by normal standards simply because of previous window mistakes and I include now having to possibly sign yet another body to replace Stokes because Mowbray appears not to be able to get the best out of him.

Futhermore by targeting the likes of Lambert, Whittingham, McMahon, Agbonlahor these are players on the way down suffering either alarming drop offs in form or simply surplus to requirements elsewhere because of age/fitness issues etc. It also presents a challenging situation as half of these types of players require much more than a sign on fee and agents fee (Usually higher for these types), a one year deal, more than a perceived L1 wage and as a result attract higher on-costs such as NI Securities, Pensions, loyalty sums, Wages and the opportunity to remains surplus upon promotion giving us an Murphy & Co Mk2 scenario with more pay offs or being unable to shift them from the wage bill preventing future playing trading in the Championship without killing the wage bill structures.  

That’s why you target in short a sporadic variety, maybe one or two experienced, maybe one or two from a previous club to help impose your personality on the squad but equally target promising players who can rise in value, better in ability year on year resulting in less signings in the future being required as they can transition and make the step up so no larger wages, agent/sign on fees etc. That is a sustainable transfer policy at our level and similar to what PNE and Barnsley have done at in L1 not long ago.

I personally don’t feel the above is too difficult to comprehend nor shade away from reality in fact quite the opposite it highlights how disproportionate your own argument is however I'll put it down to the fact your engaged 8hrs a day telling children to put fingers on the lips whilst you project your own voice. ;)

• Backroom

Whittingham is a fantastic signing. Lambert would be a poor one imo. Nothing to do with age, really, purely down to how effective they are likely to be. Whittingham was still playing very well for Cardiff last season in the league above, Lambert meanwhile has been on a sharp decline which is very unlikely to be arrested at this point. Since 2014 he's scored 7 goals in 63 apps according to wiki. I appreciate we do seem to love bringing in strikers who don't score goals, but I hope we have better targets in mind than Lambert. 

Archived