BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why do fans on  here keep talking about Graham potentially leaving? He has said he wants to stay. Mowbray has said he wants him to stay. I would say he will definitely be here next season and will more than likely be our top scorer 

Since when has a player wanting to stay and a manager wanting to keep him made any difference to those sheisters at the top? If a bid comes in deemed worthwhile, it matters little what either of them want.

Nobody wants him sold, we have just been here countless times before. The slowdown of transfer activity, coincidentally straight after the early bird sales, to me at least tells me that incomings will now be based on what outgoings there will be. Bids are in for a couple of strikers we are told, so why so slow to get a yes or no on these bids? My guess would be that the tap has been turned off and any more fees spent will depend on what we can sell.

We were originally told another 4 permanent signings and then some loans to bolster the squad. Its now changed to 2 more permanent signings and a couple of loans.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not if throughout the duration of his playing career his finances were settled he'd already accrued enough by then but still wanted to play or maybe he does want a last payday. We can only assume from our own viewpoints what he's likely to think. None of us are privy to his finances or his desire to still play football.

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why do fans on  here keep talking about Graham potentially leaving? He has said he wants to stay. Mowbray has said he wants him to stay. I would say he will definitely be here next season and will more than likely be our top scorer 

Venkys

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

starting to think some Rovers fans want us to sell him

I fail to see how when a lot of non blinkered posters on here accept there is an outside possibility he'll leave it then translates into this ?

1 minute ago, Bluebandit said:

Not if throughout the duration of his playing career his finances were settled he'd already accrued enough by then but still wanted to play or maybe he does want a last payday. We can only assume from our own viewpoints what he's likely to think. None of us are privy to his finances or his desire to still play football.

Its as short career whether he has accrued money or not. He may still 'want' to play but money will be the main motivator even if he has to accept much lower than he has before.

I think that Venkys/Cheston/Senior would've sold Graham in January if they could.

Things do seemed to have changed since we were relegated.

I still don't know where they are going to find the £8million from to keep the likes of Graham, Evans etc and the Academy running.

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its as short career whether he has accrued money or not. He may still 'want' to play but money will be the main motivator even if he has to accept much lower than he has before.

Not forgetting location family ect 

15 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

It is like with anything that you change your lifestyle to your earnings. If you are earning 40k per year you'd live life with the sort of amenities that 40k can afford you, unless of course you run yourself into debt. Likewise, if you are earning 40k a week your expenditure increases. You always learn to live by your means.

He may have been on 20k+ a week for the past 8 years however he's become accustomed to that way of life. For him to drop to 3-5k a week for 1 more year of football and all the risks that come with it is an unreasonable request, unless of course he does have a burning desire to continue playing at whatever cost. He would earn roughly that outside of a playing career by coaching, sports management or some other career in and around football/sport without being an athlete. All without the risks of injuries and the pressure of being a pro player.

The only players that will usually accept a contract that size are players that have either never earned more than that or simply aren't/haven't been good enough to earn any more.

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Probably because he's on a wage which must be taking up a huge part of our budget, well above League 1 average, and scored enough goals in the Championship that you would assume there might be interest from teams above us.

Graham staying here will depend entirely on whether he's willing to lower his wage demands. I don't see anybody matching what we're giving him, and if he's happy to be paid more to play at a lower level for 20 matches or whatever his fitness will allow, then yes, he'll be here for the season.

Lambert had his Cardiff contract mutually cancelled.

Cardiff didn't want him. He wants the next move on best wages possible which having no fee makes possible.

The rumour before was that he wanted to stay in the Championship, L1 if nothing came up.

I think we need a Brick SH striker as an option in L1 but I think he's not fully recovered fitness from last years injuries and definately his form was poor when playing.

Too much of a gamble tbh.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Do you work for the Sun? I only ask because to seem to hate scousers and foreigners... :) 

Actually like scousers!  love Liverpool ! It's just that we seem to take on the ones that aren't very good, so reversing this trend would like to see us cherry pick the best of Merseyside and stop taking on the bottom graders like we've been doing over the past seven years. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because he's one of the players that Championship sides might want to buy from our squad, Venky's are our owners and they have been selling anything of value in the last few years and not re-investing the proceeds into the playing squad.

£30 Million on transfers out.

£300,000 on transfers in.

P.S.- For the benefit of those having cheap shots saying 'some fans want Rovers to fail', if that is true, then it most definitely doesn't apply to me.

Just to clarify, I WANT NOTHING MORE than to see us romp to the title and smash teams to bits week in, week out, but I've also been given so many reasons to be cautious about any goings on at our football club because of our owners and I hardly think such a view is unreasonable......

• Backroom

Wonder if any trialists will appear tomorrow who I will then be desperate for us to sign because they sound fancy

This time last year I had a thing for Faissal El-Bakkthoui 

The year before that is was Jeffrey Sarpong

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Since when has a player wanting to stay and a manager wanting to keep him made any difference to those sheisters at the top? If a bid comes in deemed worthwhile, it matters little what either of them want.

Nobody wants him sold, we have just been here countless times before. The slowdown of transfer activity, coincidentally straight after the early bird sales, to me at least tells me that incomings will now be based on what outgoings there will be. Bids are in for a couple of strikers we are told, so why so slow to get a yes or no on these bids? My guess would be that the tap has been turned off and any more fees spent will depend on what we can sell.

We were originally told another 4 permanent signings and then some loans to bolster the squad. Its now changed to 2 more permanent signings and a couple of loans.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Probably because he's on a wage which must be taking up a huge part of our budget, well above League 1 average, and scored enough goals in the Championship that you would assume there might be interest from teams above us.

Graham staying here will depend entirely on whether he's willing to lower his wage demands. I don't see anybody matching what we're giving him, and if he's happy to be paid more to play at a lower level for 20 matches or whatever his fitness will allow, then yes, he'll be here for the season.

Mowbray said we don't have to sell. Graham isn't going anywhere unless we get a bid worth selling him for, which I can't see happening 

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wonder if any trialists will appear tomorrow who I will then be desperate for us to sign because they sound fancy

This time last year I had a thing for Faissal El-Bakkthoui 

The year before that is was Jeffrey Sarpong

Brother of Junes? 

30 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Because he's one of the players that Championship sides might want to buy from our squad, Venky's are our owners and they have been selling anything of value in the last few years and not re-investing the proceeds into the playing squad.

£30 Million on transfers out.

£300,000 on transfers in.

P.S.- For the benefit of those having cheap shots saying 'some fans want Rovers to fail', if that is true, then it most definitely doesn't apply to me.

Just to clarify, I WANT NOTHING MORE than to see us romp to the title and smash teams to bits week in, week out, but I've also been given so many reasons to be cautious about any goings on at our football club because of our owners and I hardly think such a view is unreasonable......

What period are you looking at here? Because they gave Kean a fortune to waste 

It's already been mentioned somewhere that agents are trying to drum up interest in Graham and Mulgrew so you never know. I really don't think it would take much to tempt either into the championship or Venkys to get them off the payroll.

Mowbray will want to keep them of course but we know the ultimate power rests with the player, agents and owners. Got to be realistic but for me personally I think it's vital they keep Graham because there won't be enough money to replace the 15/20 he'll surely get next season.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What period are you looking at here? Because they gave Kean a fortune to waste 

Exactly. If it was up to a few on here, we'd be 500m in debt by now.

To me, wanting rid of the owners AND expecting them to throw millions in is the definition of "having your cake and eating it too!"

They waxed millions up the wall. This 30m they've "trousered" (tomphil trademark) hasn't been spent on players, it's been spent on balancing the books.

What are our costs before wages? 10/12m? Factor in 3 years of cuts to the wages, pay offs etc and you've got a year on year deficit, growing the debt.

Weve probably spent 20m on managers in 5 years.... do people remember this? 

Just now, Biz said:

Exactly. If it was up to a few on here, we'd be 500m in debt by now.

To me, wanting rid of the owners AND expecting them to throw millions in is the definition of "having your cake and eating it too!"

They waxed millions up the wall. This 30m they've "trousered" (tomphil trademark) hasn't been spent on players, it's been spent on balancing the books.

What are our costs before wages? 10/12m? Factor in 3 years of cuts to the wages, pay offs etc and you've got a year on year deficit, growing the debt.

Weve probably spent 20m on managers in 5 years.... do people remember this? 

I don't agree. The ONLY possible advantage to Venkys owning this club is that they put their own money in and facilitate wages/spending beyond what the club could usually afford. If they aint going to put their money in then what's the point of them? They aren't putting anything else in!

If they were serious investors then the 'book balancing' would be done out of their own pockets and the money generated from sales would be promptly reinvested into improving the squad/club. That hasn't happened and they've used the substantial proceeds of Bowyer's work to pay the bills rather than their own cash.

That was the only reason they took over the club in the first place. It was ticking along perfectly well, but to progress and grow it needed more investment and that was where Venkys were supposed to help.

If they are planning on just owning the club but not investing every year then there's absolutely no use to them being here. Might as well hand it over to someone else who at least can offer more by way of time, energy, interest.

I remember the managers we've had and the obscene cost of it. Remind me again why we've had such a high turnover of managers and why they've been paid out to such excess?

Archived