BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Good that they've slapped a proper price on Lenihen although you do feel a 'deal worth up to 5 mill including add ons' will be the word trotted out if he goes.. 

Still it should put some off from enquiring on the cheap as he shouldn't go anywhere for less than 2 or 3 mill in todays market. The Sheff Utd 500k was simply put out from somewhere to see if an auction could be started probably.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Good that they've slapped a proper price on Lenihen although you do feel a 'deal worth up to 5 mill including add ons' will be the word trotted out if he goes.. 

Still it should put some off from enquiring on the cheap as he shouldn't go anywhere for less than 2 or 3 mill in todays market. The Sheff Utd 500k was simply put out from somewhere to see if an auction could be started probably.

Difficult to hold for a big transfer fee when he will be expected to take a minimal wage because of relegation.

32 minutes ago, den said:

Difficult to hold for a big transfer fee when he will be expected to take a minimal wage because of relegation.

He did play his part in us being relegated so really should have no complaints. Mulgrew, Lenihan and others who are looking to play at least one level above could and should probably wait until January to see our league positition before deciding their futures.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

A £5m price tag is hopefully there to deter bidders. Lenihan will be integral to any success we have this year.

Do you believe that they don't want buyers for Lenihan? For TM this might  be his way of keeping Charlie.  Keep the lunatics happy with an injection of 2-3m and he keeps most of what he already has.  Lenihan is nothing more than average really.  Not a big loss

There's an argument that Lenihen will offer more to the cause over a season than Mulgrew and his value will increase. Charlies a part timer. isn't getting any younger and holds no value that anyone will pay for.

I want to keep both but if it came to one over the other it's an interesting debate.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There's an argument that Lenihen will offer more to the cause over a season than Mulgrew and his value will increase. Charlies a part timer. isn't getting any younger and holds no value that anyone will pay for.

I want to keep both but if it came to one over the other it's an interesting debate.

Charlie will be a Rolls Royce in L1, Lenihan more like a Skoda Octavia - but a decent spec one.

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Do you believe that they don't want buyers for Lenihan? For TM this might  be his way of keeping Charlie.  Keep the lunatics happy with an injection of 2-3m and he keeps most of what he already has.  Lenihan is nothing more than average really.  Not a big loss

It is my belief that the only reason that Mowbray would want to sell Lenihan is if he needed the money to finance other deals that he thought would make his team better. Mowbray has no reason to set himself up to fail. He will want the best possible team on the pitch. This will include Lenihan, who will be a lot better than 'average' in the context of League 1.

How Venky's impact on what Mowbray wants is anybody's guess. If they've given Mowbray assurances that nobody needs to be sold, then they sell Lenihan behind Mowbray's back, I'd imagine Mowbray will walk.

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Charlie will be a Rolls Royce in L1, Lenihan more like a Skoda Octavia - but a decent spec one.

Yeah but you need the daily reliable A to B one it's no use just having a posh one for the odd weekend B)

2 hours ago, Athlete said:

Looking like someone at the club is touting Lenihan out... 

Now I wonder when this has happened before... Mmm

It looks like the complete opposite to me. Mowbray said he wants him to stay. 

Every player has a price. I can't see anyone matching our valuation and if they do, I would have no complaints about selling him. As long as the money was reinvested, but that is a separate issue. 

What gives you the idea that he is being touted? 

1 hour ago, den said:

Really??

17 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

5 million for Lenihan!!! Be lucky to get a million 

Given some of the ridiculous transfer fees being paid this summer - why not aim for £5m.

He is an Irish international, played well in the Championship and is improving with experience.

Would I pay £5m for him - no chance - but that is up to the buyer.

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Given some of the ridiculous transfer fees being paid this summer - why not aim for £5m.

He is an Irish international, played well in the Championship and is improving with experience.

No, he isn't. I think he will be some day though. A year in League 1 playing consistently at CB will do him the world of good. I can't see him getting into the squad for the next world cup though(if we qualify). 

12 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

True but Hanley went from 10 to 7+ then to 5.5 and finally 5.

I thought Jay Spearing played well for us when he was here. On a free he is definitely a good addition. Particularly if we can get him on a 1 year deal..

We need two strikers though, at least 1 of them permanent. Hopefully get them in as soon as possible. It is important they have time to gel with the rest of the squad

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Jay Spearing played well for us when he was here. On a free he is definitely a good addition.

We need two strikers though, at least 1 of them permanent 

He was mostly crap let's have it right although he did have a good season in league 1 with Bolton but them to us transfers rarely seem to work well for some reason.

Also being fair to him when here he had to play under GBs ever so slightly mundane sit back in midfield tactics but he was also on something like 19k per week at Bolton.

Just now, tomphil said:

He was mostly crap let's have it right although he did have a good season in league 1 with Bolton but them to us transfers rarely seem to work well for some reason.

Also being fair to him when here he had to play under GBs ever so slightly mundane sit back in midfield tactics but he was also on something like 19k per week at Bolton.

A short term deal would work. I wouldn't want him midfield in the Championship. 

Archived