SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be inclined to agree with you. For progression your best players need to be your own 

If we are only signing this striker and one more permanent, that is a reduction on Mowbrays '8'.  With Stokes going and the likely hood of a 'sale' then we need more bodies in.  I suppose a lot will depend on who TM believes he can get on loan from Prem clubs.  Obviously, they will be expected to play regularly and if they are decent, will be better than anyone we could likely afford to pay a fee for.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Expectations very low on this one, all I've seen Rich comment is he is faster than Lambert which is setting the bar very very low.

Faster than Lambert? Well at least that rules Chris Brown out of coming back here :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

Faster than Lambert? Well at least that rules Chris Brown out of coming back here :lol: 

That's about it though - it could be any other striker in world football that we're signing.

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Disappointed to hear Mowbray saying we will only sign 1 more perminant player. 

Fairly sure that meant one more after this striker, so, 2 more.

To be honest, if promotion is the plan, we don't necessarily want to overload on permanent players who might flourish in league one not have the requisite skills to step up to the Championship. Yes I know, ideally we sign young players who can do both, but they're not ten a penny, and there are no guarantees.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Fairly sure that meant one more after this striker, so, 2 more.

To be honest, if promotion is the plan, we don't necessarily want to overload on permanent players who might flourish in league one not have the requisite skills to step up to the Championship. Yes I know, ideally we sign young players who can do both, but they're not ten a penny, and there are no guarantees.

Overload? Evans, Graham, Mulgrew are three players just off the top of my head that regularly struggle with fitness and injuries. None of us are talking of overloading, just having a squad capable of getting through the season. Otherwise we're going to be relying on youth players that are probably not even ready for league 1 (before we can then establish whether they would cut in the league above).

We were told 4 more perm signings and some loans. This has been halved to 2 perms and some loans. On top of this it would be foolish to not to expect to see any further outgoings.

Stokes for example - he would need replacing as well and should not count as the quota already said to be coming in.

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Overload? Evans, Graham, Mulgrew are three players just off the top of my head that regularly struggle with fitness and injuries. None of us are talking of overloading, just having a squad capable of getting through the season. Otherwise we're going to be relying on youth players that are probably not even ready for league 1 (before we can then establish whether they would cut in the league above).

We were told 4 more perm signings and some loans. This has been halved to 2 perms and some loans. On top of this it would be foolish to not to expect to see any further outgoings.

Stokes for example - he would need replacing as well and should not count as the quota already said to be coming in.

Eh? It doesn't matter whether they are on loan or permanent to 'have a squad capable of getting through the season'. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Pretty sure Mowbray made those comments about 4 more permanent signings before Dack and Gladwin had signed

Just now, bluebruce said:

Eh? It doesn't matter whether they are on loan or permanent to 'have a squad capable of getting through the season'. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I completely understood what you were saying. Permanent or loan, we do not have the numbers needed going off what they say are coming in.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

I completely understood what you were saying. Permanent or loan, we do not have the numbers needed going off what they say are coming in.

Except I didn't at any point talk about overall numbers.

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We do if everybody stays fit & uninjured free from some suspensions etc. Sadly football rarely pans out like that. 2 needed 3 if DL leaves 1 in every position.

• Backroom

Quite a few of the outgoings were loans so it's not surprising if they are replaced like for like.

Still think we need one or two more contracted players after this mystery striker though 

13 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Marquis lad from Doncaster.  In the last year of his contract.  

Would be great, however he says he only wants to play in championship so time will tell! Unreal last season. Target man so not very pacey!

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Would be great, however he says he only wants to play in championship so time will tell! Unreal last season. Target man so not very pacey!

I like that - he is obviously hungry and wants to enhance his career. 25 and spent most of his career being loaned out - now after a regular season he is hungry to show what he can do. You never know - he coud be sold on a promotion push with us.

I looked at his youtube clip of all the goals he scored last season. Okay, he is not super pacey but I would not call him slow. Seems to be two footed and has a bit of skill, scored all sorts of goals last season. Additionally, I didnt see any penalties iirc, so that makes his goal tally even more impressive.

So once again a pre-season is underway with a squad that is short of what is needed for our so-called aim next season. That isn't being negative. That's a fact. If we want promotion we ain't going to do it with 14 senior outfield players at the club and hoping 2-3 from the Under 23s can smoothly make the transition. 

From those 14 senior players Graham, Mulgrew and Evans all have poor fitness records and simply will not be playing 46 games each next season. It would be lunacy to expect them to. So what happens when they are in the treatment room as they were for large parts of last season? 

I suppose we have to have faith in Mowbray and his judgment but I don't like the prospect of once again relying on the loan market to fill the squad up. I've no problem with using the loan market to bring in a couple to top up the squad and provide different options and competition but i get the distinct impression that once again the plan at Rovers is to use the loan market to build a squad. This will mean crucial business is left until the end of August as most clubs will not allow players out on loan until the last minute once they have sorted things out at their end. This is what happened last year with Gallagher and Emnes and by the time they arrived and started getting involved the damage had been done. Secondly it will mean once again Rovers are being used as a shop window for other clubs to send their players and longer term Rovers will not benefit from it as we will be back to 12 contracted players again next summer. Mowbray was clear at the start of the summer that the club needed to get people tied down to the club on longer term deals so they would be assets for the club.

If you want to win the league, as we claim we do, then you need cover and competition in every area of the pitch. We need people to come in and hit the ground running in the event of injuries and suspensions and we need people to bring off the bench when we need to change things. At the moment we don't have that and time is ticking. Austria is the most important element of pre-season in terms of the fitness work and team bonding that will be taking place so these signings that we need are going to be missing out on that.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If we signed Caddis that could mean only 2 strikers on the books and not much out wide.  There is nowhere near 80 goals in this side at the moment.

Doesn't have to be if you can shut the shop up at the other end?

Archived