SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Strikers won't be as potent. If we can dig in & be resolute lots of wins will be  scrappy 1-nils. Don't think we will have to set out to score hatfulls. You build from the back in this league.

Don't disagree and happy to see a Kendall type season but the manager himself is saying we need 80 goals - we are well short  of that at present.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

So once again a pre-season is underway with a squad that is short of what is needed for our so-called aim next season. That isn't being negative. That's a fact. If we want promotion we ain't going to do it with 14 senior outfield players at the club and hoping 2-3 from the Under 23s can smoothly make the transition. 

From those 14 senior players Graham, Mulgrew and Evans all have poor fitness records and simply will not be playing 46 games each next season. It would be lunacy to expect them to. So what happens when they are in the treatment room as they were for large parts of last season? 

I suppose we have to have faith in Mowbray and his judgment but I don't like the prospect of once again relying on the loan market to fill the squad up. I've no problem with using the loan market to bring in a couple to top up the squad and provide different options and competition but i get the distinct impression that once again the plan at Rovers is to use the loan market to build a squad. This will mean crucial business is left until the end of August as most clubs will not allow players out on loan until the last minute once they have sorted things out at their end. This is what happened last year with Gallagher and Emnes and by the time they arrived and started getting involved the damage had been done. Secondly it will mean once again Rovers are being used as a shop window for other clubs to send their players and longer term Rovers will not benefit from it as we will be back to 12 contracted players again next summer. Mowbray was clear at the start of the summer that the club needed to get people tied down to the club on longer term deals so they would be assets for the club.

If you want to win the league, as we claim we do, then you need cover and competition in every area of the pitch. We need people to come in and hit the ground running in the event of injuries and suspensions and we need people to bring off the bench when we need to change things. At the moment we don't have that and time is ticking. Austria is the most important element of pre-season in terms of the fitness work and team bonding that will be taking place so these signings that we need are going to be missing out on that.

Venky reality beginning to sink in on the MB!

27 minutes ago, unsall said:

Dominic Samuel (Reading) is the rumour.

Played under Mowbray in Coventry :

"Joins League One side Coventry City on loan in January 2015 and scores six goals in 13 appearances during a spell when Tony Mowbray replaced Steven Pressley in the hot-seat. A fractured ankle cuts short the temporary switch.

Mowbray said: “Dominic has been terrific. He’s scored goals, linked the play and worked extremely hard. He’s a decent character around the dressing room.” Link

5 minutes ago, Swanson said:

"Joins League One side Coventry City on loan in January 2015 and scores six goals in 13 appearances during a spell when Tony Mowbray replaced Steven Pressley in the hot-seat. A fractured ankle cuts short the temporary switch.

Mowbray said: “Dominic has been terrific. He’s scored goals, linked the play and worked extremely hard. He’s a decent character around the dressing room.” Link

Scored against us st Ewood last season for Reading.

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

So once again a pre-season is underway with a squad that is short of what is needed for our so-called aim next season. That isn't being negative. That's a fact. If we want promotion we ain't going to do it with 14 senior outfield players at the club and hoping 2-3 from the Under 23s can smoothly make the transition. 

From those 14 senior players Graham, Mulgrew and Evans all have poor fitness records and simply will not be playing 46 games each next season. It would be lunacy to expect them to. So what happens when they are in the treatment room as they were for large parts of last season? 

I suppose we have to have faith in Mowbray and his judgment but I don't like the prospect of once again relying on the loan market to fill the squad up. I've no problem with using the loan market to bring in a couple to top up the squad and provide different options and competition but i get the distinct impression that once again the plan at Rovers is to use the loan market to build a squad. This will mean crucial business is left until the end of August as most clubs will not allow players out on loan until the last minute once they have sorted things out at their end. This is what happened last year with Gallagher and Emnes and by the time they arrived and started getting involved the damage had been done. Secondly it will mean once again Rovers are being used as a shop window for other clubs to send their players and longer term Rovers will not benefit from it as we will be back to 12 contracted players again next summer. Mowbray was clear at the start of the summer that the club needed to get people tied down to the club on longer term deals so they would be assets for the club.

If you want to win the league, as we claim we do, then you need cover and competition in every area of the pitch. We need people to come in and hit the ground running in the event of injuries and suspensions and we need people to bring off the bench when we need to change things. At the moment we don't have that and time is ticking. Austria is the most important element of pre-season in terms of the fitness work and team bonding that will be taking place so these signings that we need are going to be missing out on that.

Lets not forget there is still 7 weeks left of the transfer window, so you seriously need to calm down and have some faith in Mowbray and his recruitment team.

If we signed this striker and Caddis that will be 16 outfield players with a couple of loans to come in from PL clubs as Mowbray has previously said. Hopeful a striker and pacey winger will be these 2 loan players. we are only talking of 2 loan players not 6 loan players like last season so I don't understand you comments about having to rely on loan players if Stokes is gone from the club then I would imagine he will be replaced plus his wages will be off the wage bill.

our current squad is

Gk's - Raya Steele

Def's- Nyambe Caddis Lenihan Ward Mulgrew Wharton Williams

Mid's- Bennett Feeney Smallwood Whittingham Tomlinson Evans Conway Gladwin Dack new pacey loan winger

Att's - Graham New striker new loan striker

so that's would be a squad of 22 players with Mowbray able to use Fisher as 3rd choice keeper or Doyle or Travis as a back up full back. If Mowbray has the confidence in the under 23;s players to back up the squad then we have to trust him. I have include Caddis in the squad as I think we will sign after the Austria trip which he has gone on. I haven't included Stokes as I think he will be gone shortly. Most of the squad above will be in Austria apart from the 2 loan players as this striker will go there when he signs. I would be tempt to bring in another striker but we are only playing 1 up front then it could be wasted signing,

30 minutes ago, unsall said:

Dominic Samuel (Reading) is the rumour.

Don't know a lot about the player apart he went on loan at Ipswich last season

3 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Mowbray said: “Dominic has been terrific. He’s scored goals, linked the play and worked extremely hard. He’s a decent character around the dressing room.”

Thanks for that info

From what Mowbray says it would appear he is looking for two more permanent signings and then a couple of Premier League loans towards the end of the window.  The twenty-four players who were on duty at Barrow on Saturday together with another four players (or three players if Caddis is signed) should be ample for any League One side hoping to win promotion.  The likes of Wharton, Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Travis and Rankin-Costello are going to be regulars on the bench this season I would have thought or there is no point carrying on with the Academy.  For a club like Rovers, with limited financial resources, it's vital that the youngsters step up as we can't afford to spend money and pay wages to experienced players for them to sit on the bench in League One - not that any experienced player of quality would really want to do that anyway.   

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don't know much about him but looking at his record I'd be underwhelmed. Would make sense though; TM has been bringing in guys he's either had play under him or seen a lot of.

But scored 1 goal in 2 games under Mowbray at Coventry

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lets not forget there is still 7 weeks left of the transfer window, so you seriously need to calm down and have some faith in Mowbray and his recruitment team.

If we signed this striker and Caddis that will be 16 outfield players with a couple of loans to come in from PL clubs as Mowbray has previously said. Hopeful a striker and pacey winger will be these 2 loan players. we are only talking of 2 loan players not 6 loan players like last season so I don't understand you comments about having to rely on loan players if Stokes is gone from the club then I would imagine he will be replaced plus his wages will be off the wage bill.

our current squad is

Gk's - Raya Steele

Def's- Nyambe Caddis Lenihan Ward Mulgrew Wharton Williams

Mid's- Bennett Feeney Smallwood Whittingham Tomlinson Evans Conway Gladwin Dack new pacey loan winger

Att's - Graham New striker new loan striker

so that's would be a squad of 22 players with Mowbray able to use Fisher as 3rd choice keeper or Doyle or Travis as a back up full back. If Mowbray has the confidence in the under 23;s players to back up the squad then we have to trust him. I have include Caddis in the squad as I think we will sign after the Austria trip which he has gone on. I haven't included Stokes as I think he will be gone shortly. Most of the squad above will be in Austria apart from the 2 loan players as this striker will go there when he signs. I would be tempt to bring in another striker but we are only playing 1 up front then it could be wasted signing,

Don't know a lot about the player apart he went on loan at Ipswich last season

Thanks for that info

I made the comment about relying on loan players because it's happened every summer. Venkys like to use loans as it saves them the need to spend money and hand out contracts. We've only added 4 players having released 12 and yet already the talk is shifting to using the loan market to fill things up.

Loan business should be left to the last couple of weeks as and when people come available to top up the squad and add something different. Not as a cornerstone of our squad building. If we sign 7 players and 2-3 of them are loans then that is a cornerstone of our transfer policy.

If the motivation behind the small squad is entirely Mowbray's decision then fine, that's up to him, but if the motivation behind it is Venkys wanting to save more money and refusing more than a limited number of incomings then that isn't fine as it will be hindering our 'promotion push'.

I'm a strong believer in looking at other clubs and how they have done their business. Our proclaimed target this season is automatic promotion, so it would be sensible to look at recent examples of sides that have done that. Sheffield United had a 28 man squad last season with about 3 of them brought through from the academy. Bolton had a squad of pushing 30 albeit with 3-4 sent out on loan. I think expecting/hoping to get promoted with a squad of 18-22 including 3-4 academy lads is going to be pushing it. Maybe I'll be wrong on that but I'd sooner have a squad bigger than necessary than one too small for the long hard season ahead.

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

I suppose we have to have faith in Mowbray and his judgment but I don't like the prospect of once again relying on the loan market to fill the squad up. I've no problem with using the loan market to bring in a couple to top up the squad and provide different options and competition but i get the distinct impression that once again the plan at Rovers is to use the loan market to build a squad. This will mean crucial business is left until the end of August as most clubs will not allow players out on loan until the last minute once they have sorted things out at their end

I said similar earlier in the year re not building a side around loans. The point was also made last summer when Coyle started bringing truck loads of 'em, many of whom didn't play/contribute. This summer I don't think that criticism is fair.  We've brought a whole new midfield in this summer, all on good length contracts for the league we're in and all young enough to contribute for a good few years. None are at their peak, and all could conceivably get better, and none are on loan. 

As for using the loan market, Mowbray has already acknowledged that he will have to do this:-

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/july/boss-hopeful-of-another-new-arrival/

"As I've said before, you need to have an underbelly. You need to have your own players. You can't build a team just on loans, so we've been trying to add players to the squad who will help us this season"

In the end it looks like it's going to be 6 or 7 permanent and a couple of loans. That isn't using 'the loan market to build a squad'. I think Mowbray has been spot on in attempting to bring in hungry young players on permanent contracts. It's a vast improvement on last summer's recruitment policy, and exactly what you seem to be wanting in your post.  

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But scored 1 goal in 2 games under Mowbray at Coventry

And then he fractured his ankle and his record dropped to just over 1 in 4 at Gillingham, then bugger all in the Championship.

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Loan business should be left to the last couple of weeks as and when people come available to top up the squad and add something different. 

Precisely what Mowbray has said.

A squad of about 26 seems to be the benchmark as JH pointed out. We would be sat at 22 with the projected incomings with 2 being youth that steps up (Tomlinson and Wharton) I am confident in Wharton being able to do it but not so much with Tomlinson though we seem well stocked in midfield anyway. At least three of the squad are injury prone which many seem to be forgetting as well though.

I would be happy enough with a further two incomings on top of what has been said is already coming in. Any less and I would be worried with the squad.

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don't know much about him but looking at his record I'd be underwhelmed. Would make sense though; TM has been bringing in guys he's either had play under him or seen a lot of.

Yeah not fantastic on paper but Sam Gallagher was a disappointed when he signed so hopefully we could be pleasantly surprised.

I'd be enquiring about Joao although would be unlikely   

• Backroom

• Backroom

Funny - Nicko said last week that Ipswich were going to beat Barnsley to this signing.

He's just tweeted this:

'Blackburn. Signing Samuel from Reading. Up to 500k. Decent wages. More than Barnsley and Ipswich willing to pay. #prayforthechickens'

Loves an exclusive this guy, doesn't quite fit with his hissy fit about the reason for not signing McMahon

Anwyay according to Wiki:

Personal lifeEdit

Samuel attended Southwark Park Primary School between 2003-2007. In 2007, he took part in the school's 'Alternative Yo-Yo' competition to raise money for Comic Relief, finishing runner up after answering every question that week at school with the answer 'yo', reaching a total of 83. Samuel's class raised a total of £34.80 and were thanked in a school assembly by a local politician who joined the class on stage in a group 'Yo!'.

Archived