SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, meadows said:

Yes I'd be happy with doing well and avoiding racking up more debt. Is there any reason anyone wouldn't be?

I'd be happy if the moon was made of cheese but I'm sensible enough to know it won't happen.Of course we all want Rovers to be promoted but that will rest on the quality of the squad and the support behind it. Therefore we are more likely to succeed if Venkys spend some NET money for once than if they don't. After all the sales of recent years (haven't they spent a trifling 250000 quid in 2 years while raking in millions?) isn't it time they spent a bit on the team?

Racking up over 100M+ so far does not seem to bother them so why does it concern you? Its not like you're a rich relative concerned about your inheritance.

54 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'd be happy if the moon was made of cheese but I'm sensible enough to know it won't happen.Of course we all want Rovers to be promoted but that will rest on the quality of the squad and the support behind it. Therefore we are more likely to succeed if Venkys spend some NET money for once than if they don't. After all the sales of recent years (haven't they spent a trifling 250000 quid in 2 years while raking in millions?) isn't it time they spent a bit on the team?

Racking up over 100M+ so far does not seem to bother them so why does it concern you? Its not like you're a rich relative concerned about your inheritance.

Why would this make you happy? 

It would make me confused and scared

41 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

I think we can keep things on a even keel & chance it or throw more money at it & become certainties as far as certainties in a loose meaning.

40 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

More a case of it being a reasonable expectation to reinvest c10% of outgoing fees on fees for some new players some who have the potential ability to maybe be as good, better or near enough as the ones sold. Particularly if you've sold a load of players rather than one or two even if it is just restocking the fridge so to speak.

If that was the case on a regular basis there maybe wouldn't have been as much scrutiny where the remaining money went.   Maybe just maybe they have sanctioned that spending 750 on Dack and poss 500k on Samuel, another few would be nice but then again paying Scrotes off will probably cost a player or two that's why there is so much uproar about that.  They ought to knock it off the wages of whoever signed that off !

They could put £10m in tomphil and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference, the debt keeps rising, the same mistakes keep being made, football people not making decisions, its a pointless exercise until those rats scurry back under the rock.

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

They could put £10m in tomphil and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference, the debt keeps rising, the same mistakes keep being made, football people not making decisions, its a pointless exercise until those rats scurry back under the rock.

They seem to do that, on paper anyway but a lot of it runs straight through the club to god knows where.  All too convenient really the absolute unconcern to losing millions off the books yearly yet starving the club and making it sell  beg and borrow to keep going.

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

More a case of it being a reasonable expectation to reinvest c10% of outgoing fees on fees for some new players some who have the potential ability to maybe be as good, better or near enough as the ones sold. Particularly if you've sold a load of players rather than one or two even if it is just restocking the fridge so to speak.

If that was the case on a regular basis there maybe wouldn't have been as much scrutiny where the remaining money went.   Maybe just maybe they have sanctioned that spending 750 on Dack and poss 500k on Samuel, another few would be nice but then again paying Scrotes off will probably cost a player or two that's why there is so much uproar about that.  They ought to knock it off the wages of whoever signed that off !

Personally speaking I don't know what the transfer budget is & rightly so the less people who know the better. I should imagine there's only TM & few finance men who do. I don't really understand why we are paying for a player to leave surely wouldn't it be better to have him here contributing in some shape or form. I don't think we are far off in terms of numbers or quality with 2 additions & providing nobody leaves 1 for 1 if that's the case. I've not been living on mars but if you or somebody else could explain why we are paying for a player to leave it would help me understand more.

I am not to worried about the finance situation as of this moment. We said goodbye to 12 players on large contracts with the likes of Lowe, Henley, Akpan, Guthrie and so forth. I would like to add Steele to that list of departures as I am worried he might get the nod ahead of Raya. To me off the back of last season Raya has done enough. Steele if we get a 500k bid I would snap their hands off and say goodbye to his wages. 

3 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Personally speaking I don't know what the transfer budget is & rightly so the less people who know the better. I should imagine there's only TM & few finance men who do. I don't really understand why we are paying for a player to leave surely wouldn't be better to have him here contributing in some shape or form. I don't think we are far off in terms of numbers or quality with 2 additions & providing nobody leaves 1 for 1 if that's the case. I've not been living on mars but if you or somebody else could explain why we are paying for a player to leave it would help me understand more.

Well if he is offering nothing but trouble and he has a clause in his contract after relegation and an offer from the club he's wanted to be at all along it's understandable. They made Best rot for a while but still ended up paying him off and loaning him to Hibs then Rovers would still be paying nearly all his wages anyway.

I'd have preferred him to turn up this season committed to the cause I think there's a bag load of goals for him in this div but he's no interest apart from getting money out the club one way or another. Pity they didn't have something In his contract saying 'sacked' if found guilty of his pending case but the clubs been done over yet again.

6 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Personally speaking I don't know what the transfer budget is & rightly so the less people who know the better. I should imagine there's only TM & few finance men who do. I don't really understand why we are paying for a player to leave surely wouldn't be better to have him here contributing in some shape or form. I don't think we are far off in terms of numbers or quality with 2 additions & providing nobody leaves 1 for 1 if that's the case. I've not been living on mars but if you or somebody else could explain why we are paying for a player to leave it would help me understand more.

Stokes was signed by Coyle and has to be seen as a huge error. When he signed him, he had the assault charge against him, which he was found guilty of, so now he has a conviction against him. From what has been said about him, he likes to have a few beers and regularly pops over to Ireland and to Scotland to have his fill. I suspect that Mowbray would consider him to be a disruptive influence and no doubt would lord it over some of the players, who are on much smaller contracts. If he is being paid big money to do nothing and some players are paid a lot less and are doing their bit, you can easily see why a problem would arise. Assuming paying him off early, save a portion of what we would pay him over two years, then it make sense.

In a nutshell this signing should never have happened and stinks to the high heavens.

I still think were a bit off with the automatic places. For me if there going to be spending a bit of money they will probably need to go up at the first attempt due to the more money they will probably lose this season. We need goals and Im not convinved we are a cut above the rest. We may have signed 4 new midfielders but in all honesty we have only really signed 2 decent players in dack and whittingham. Gladwin and smallwood for me are unknown. We have only 1 striker, yes graham has good experience and track record but hes another year older (im not saying that he will be rubbish because of it, but I dont expect him to be carried by him for goals over 46 games, we need more than him). We need proven goalscroers in my view and obviuosly that costs money, just becuase we are linked with a guy from reading and arsenal that they have pace and are young deoesnt all of a sudden mean we will be scoring for fun or will it mean we are adding goals, in graham we have goals, we need a nother prolific striker of his calibre imo. I feel we will have a good 7/8 players in the squad for this league but the rest might just not be enough to earn automatic. I for one wish we had Beckford in our team along with graham. I feel it may not be as easy as people make out just because we have made signings.

1 minute ago, ruggles1995 said:

I still think were a bit off with the automatic places. For me if there going to be spending a bit of money they will probably need to go up at the first attempt due to the more money they will probably lose this season. We need goals and Im not convinved we are a cut above the rest. We may have signed 4 new midfielders but in all honesty we have only really signed 2 decent players in dack and whittingham. Gladwin and smallwood for me are unknown. We have only 1 striker, yes graham has good experience and track record but hes another year older (im not saying that he will be rubbish because of it, but I dont expect him to be carried by him for goals over 46 games, we need more than him). We need proven goalscroers in my view and obviuosly that costs money, just becuase we are linked with a guy from reading and arsenal that they have pace and are young deoesnt all of a sudden mean we will be scoring for fun or will it mean we are adding goals, in graham we have goals, we need a nother prolific striker of his calibre imo. I feel we will have a good 7/8 players in the squad for this league but the rest might just not be enough to earn automatic. I for one wish we had Beckford in our team along with graham. I feel it may not be as easy as people make out just because we have made signings.

Sense  :)

Just now, tomphil said:

Sense  :)

Thanks.

Also if people dont understand why I am mentioning Beckford, its because he is at Bury who are also in this league. So Im just comparing our 1 striker to another thats also good enough at getting goals like him. We arent the only ones with a striker. Unfortunatley we only have 1 at present.

1 minute ago, ruggles1995 said:

I think we're going I up front, pack the midfield and try and control possession. The worry is we won't score enough.

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

Thanks.

Also if people dont understand why I am mentioning Beckford, its because he is at Bury who are also in this league. So Im just comparing our 1 striker to another thats also good enough at getting goals like him. We arent the only ones with a striker. Unfortunatley we only have 1 at present.

Bury have signed about ten new players. Nicky Ajose from Charlton being the latest. Should be a decent strikeforce next season with him and Beckford. Lee Clarke is certainly going for it.

19 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Thanks.

The Beckford that was at North End ?

1 hour ago, meadows said:

At the moment we've spent a bit and sold no-one 

I'm  afraid getting worked up about hypothetical may-or-may-not unfold scenarios isn't occupying my thoughts. 

If You wish to work your self into an irascible frenzy about what I feel or don't feel, be my guest , it clearly provides you with some relief or satisfaction to unload  

"Bloke says he will be happy if we go up and don't fall further into debt" isn't something which I'd have considered apoplexy-causing but each to his own 

Ignoring your patronising and  hype (e.g. apoplexy), going up with no net spending is a hypothetical may or may not unfold scenario isn't it? And it clearly occupies your thoughts!

I can't see why a bloke wouldn't be happy if the owners splashed out for once to secure promotion. Least we should expect after the damage these idiots have inflicted.

But, hey,each to his own.

1 up front all season = draws lots of em unless we are playing scintillating slick quick football opening teams up all over, then they start coming and just putting everyone behind the ball really deep, hence draws.

I really the hope the plan isn't consolidation whilst giving players games and increasing their value to sell on, we've been there before and it's ended up here :o

Strikers needed, starting with a tall physical one.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

1 up front all season = draws lots of em unless we are playing scintillating slick quick football opening teams up all over, then they start coming and just putting everyone behind the ball really deep, hence draws.

I really the hope the plan isn't consolidation whilst giving players games and increasing their value to sell on, we've i been there before and it's ended up here :o

Strikers needed, starting with a tall physical one.

I would imagine TM envisages attacking football in this league. We might not have the complete squad yet but I have total faith he will have what he wants by August 5th. Already had a tenner on 3-1 win first game. 

Archived