BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15420057.Sheffield_United_boss_refuses_to_be_drawn_on_speculation_surrounding_Rovers_defender_Darragh_Lenihan/?ref=mac

Our weekly fix of Lenihan transfer gossip has arrived.

I said weeks ago - this will carry on every week until late August and then he will be off.

I wonder who keeps laying the groundwork for the Telegraph though?

It's an interview by BBC Radio Sheffield with the Sheff Utd manager. Are you saying they are co-conspirators 'laying the groundwork' for the LT to enable Rovers to sell Lenihan?!!!

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

I always wondered how he never broke his ribs doing that, he used to come down so hard. I liked him as a player actually and not just because of that cross against Bumley.

Cross against Fulham do you mean? Best cross ever seen on ewood that and one of the best volleys ever seen on ewood followed it from MGP. Class

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

From Nixon

Sheff U. Back in for Lenihan at Blackburn again. Won't go away. But miles off valuation.

As their manager says they want a CB and a CM. Lenihan can play both roles well. He'll be a major asset for us this season but if the Lenihan wants to go and the money is too good to turn down he'll be off. I hope Nixon is right that the club have put a valuation on him that is far in advance of what Sheff Utd want to pay.

Just now, Butty said:

Cross against Fulham do you mean? Best cross ever seen on ewood that and one of the best volleys ever seen on ewood followed it from MGP. Class

What a goal that was. Kuqi's hopeful punt of a cross and then whatever the hell MGP did to rifle it home. Amazing.

Same game, Tugay's volley off the corner.

Some absolutely Unreal goals that season.

43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's an interview by BBC Radio Sheffield with the Sheff Utd manager. Are you saying they are co-conspirators 'laying the groundwork' for the LT to enable Rovers to sell Lenihan?!!!

I'm not accusing BBC Radio Sheffield of anything. They've had an interview with one of their local club's managers. The Telegraph have chosen to pick that up and use it to produce yet another story on one of our better players leaving when I thought that Mowbray had made our position quite clear. Wilder doesn't even mention Lenihan in his interview, yet the Telegraph can't wait to use it as another story linking him away.

Of course the Telegraph could just do some reporting of their own and avoid repeating the same stuff every week about our best players leaving.

Can see leniham leaving. Sheff Utd wouldn't keep bidding for him if they weren't get any encouragement from the club that he wasnt for sale. Would be a big blow to lose him , don't think we will get anywhere near the 5million

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not accusing BBC Radio Sheffield of anything. They've had an interview with one of their local club's managers. The Telegraph have chosen to pick that up and use it to produce yet another story on one of our better players leaving when I thought that Mowbray had made our position quite clear. Wilder doesn't even mention Lenihan in his interview, yet the Telegraph can't wait to use it as another story linking him away.

Of course the Telegraph could just do some reporting of their own and avoid repeating the same stuff every week about our best players leaving.

It's common knowledge they've bid for him. Wilder was obviously asked about specific players because he refused to be drawn on he players he was asked about. You'd imagine Lenihan was one of them as he's the one they've been most strongly linked with. It's Rovers related so why wouldn't the LT report it? Doesn't mean they are part of some conspiracy to sell him? As for Mowbray I think he said every player has their price.

From Rich Sharpe

Mowbray told me last night on transfers: "Hopefully in the next few days we’ll be able to make some announcements on some new signings

Things starting to fall in to place for #Rovers on the incomings front. Potential to be a busy few days. Stay patient. Deals will happen

15 minutes ago, tugay5 said:

Can see leniham leaving. Sheff Utd wouldn't keep bidding for him if they weren't get any encouragement from the club that he wasnt for sale. Would be a big blow to lose him , don't think we will get anywhere near the 5million

Clubs don't need any encouragement to bid for players they want 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Clubs don't need any encouragement to bid for players they want 

There's a difference in how clubs react to offers though. One way to react is to say no, tell them to stay away, tell them only a huge offer will be considered and there's no room for negotiation, offer Lenihan improved terms, give them a deadline beyond which no offer will be considered, as the damage to our promotion bid could be worth a lot more etc. The other is to reject the first bid but make it obvious there is a deal to be done and give them reason to come back with more. Rather than reject offers immediately out of hand go away and think about it, start reducing the asking price etc. 

Have Rovers told them that Lenihan is £5 million and not a penny less? If so then why are they bothering with a bid of £850,000? They are either stupid or know something....

I suspect the reason is because Sheffield United know full well that the £5 million figure is pie in the sky nonsense invented to appease supporters, and really the asking price is much lower, and that the people running Rovers - Venkys - Shadow Director - Cheston - are quite happy to do a deal at a much lower price.

I hope it isn't the case - but its happened many, many, many times over when we've heard ludicrous things in the press about asking prices only for a deal to be done at much less down the line.

Prediction time: this will rumble on and on for at least another 4 weeks. Eventually we'll see increased stuff in the Telegraph about him not wanting to play, not being committed to the club, or the other favourite that Mowbray is prepared to let him go to bolster his transfer fund. Then he'll go at the last minute, but unfortunately for us and Mowbray whatever fee we do get won't be reinvested properly. Haven't we seen it before?

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Tom said:

People saying it could be Nyambe in the photo but I'm pretty sure it's Alan Wright 

I reckon it's Samuel. Contract signings are usually pics at the table, doing the signing, while new players pose on the pitch.

Hopefully, anyway.

Archived