BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle Away 26/10

yep i'm going to this although i fully expecting to get absolutley mullered , its probably 30 years since i last went to st james park , so its like going to a new stadium for me

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memories of my first ever away game up there, must have been pre Keegan. Went with mate next door who was a Newcastle fan via his dad and his much older brother who was Rovers and in charge of us for the day, i don't think we saw him again from the min we got on the coach until he was virtually carried back on later :lol:

Anyway i recall we lost 3-2 and Metcalf who i'd never seen before scored a stunning own goal right in front of us, jesus if that happened now i'd be screaming betting scandal so bizarre was it ! We were 3 nil down then Keeley came on up front and pulled 2 back and we were unlucky not to draw in the end. Why have Rovers nearly always been such slow starters ?

There was only about 150 of us there but there was some right characters who i came to recognise as away hardcore regulars years later. Football seemed such a craic then, as well as a bit dangerous!

.....................Steele

Marshall Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

................Guthrie Lowe

Feeney...........Evans..........Conway

......................Graham

Hope we get something for the fans that have gone up!

Memories of my first ever away game up there, must have been pre Keegan. Went with mate next door who was a Newcastle fan via his dad and his much older brother who was Rovers and in charge of us for the day, i don't think we saw him again from the min we got on the coach until he was virtually carried back on later :lol:

Anyway i recall we lost 3-2 and Metcalf who i'd never seen before scored a stunning own goal right in front of us, jesus if that happened now i'd be screaming betting scandal so bizarre was it ! We were 3 nil down then Keeley came on up front and pulled 2 back and we were unlucky not to draw in the end. Why have Rovers nearly always been such slow starters ?

There was only about 150 of us there but there was some right characters who i came to recognise as away hardcore regulars years later. Football seemed such a craic then, as well as a bit dangerous!

You are not kidding it was dangerous! Wolves fans chased me and my Uncle down Bolton Road kicking at our car as drove off. My and my Mum were on the Leicester train from Wembley after beating them in the play-offs and my Mum had the biggest Rovers rosette ever on and that got a bit frightening to say the least. Kicked out of the home end at Leeds with everyone trying to get at me as I celebrated when we scored! Oldham fans trying to take our end on the 80's with me in the middle of their lot and ours. They got seriously pasted. Palace fan trying to nick my scarf ended in a fight after the 3-0 defeat way back then. Strange as I am a tolerant guy but something about the football back then got most of us irate in some form.

Been to Newcastle loads of times. Shearer equalising after injury was fun, as was the last game of the season when we got relegated.

You took your life in your own hands at times lol but it was part and parcel of it so it was no big deal. Seen all sorts over the years and it's strange you mention that play off as we got hounded by a load of Leicester fans outside Euston station. I was a lanky git on crutches with my girlfriend of 5 ft nothing, a disabled mate even smaller who didn't support Rovers and my young relative who was about 14 yet this mob decided we were fair game. There was some proper scum about back in the day although i saw a group of leicester fans intent on trouble get a real hiding by a certain small Rovers element on the Boulevard after the game Rooster Russel won for them.

Never had a problem at Newcastle but seem them on the rampage down here a few times. after the Wegerle late winner springs to mind :D

They were non too happy when Speedie took them apart that time either !

Rovers are moving all the home fans for the Rovers vs. Newcastle fixture on 2 Jan to the Jack Walker to give the entire away end to Newcastle.

Cat A+ so they can fleece the Geordie hordes. If our form is still crap as expected it really is going to be 50/50 in the ground especially when you take into account them occupying most of the corporate and lounges.

Joke of a club we are !

When the club is being run by an accountant with no experience in football matters and seemingly not being judged on football matters then its perhaps inevitable that the club will continue to bend over backwards to accommodate large away followings for the sake of an extra bit of income.

It's being going on for years now and we must be the only club in the land that immediately allocates 7,000+ away tickets to the visitors and basically sets them the challenge of filling it and having a great day out and travelling in their numbers. Everyone else sets a smaller allocation of 3 or 4 thousand and then releases more tickets if and when the first batch have gone (see Preston and Bolton).

Some clubs could significantly increase away followings at their grounds but chose not to do so in order to try and help the home team and make it a better atmosphere for the home club. Huddersfield have split the away end in half in order to put their fans behind the goals and improve the atmosphere even if that means missing out on some away ticket sales.

I don't really see how Rovers can complain about the number of home fans turning up at Ewood when the side is permanently in the bottom 3 and on one of the rare occasions that drifting fans might turn up for a better match/atmosphere they are being charged £30 an adult. That's a ludicrous price for any Championship club to charge any home supporters, especially so for one in the doldrums right after Xmas.

Of course one simple way to get round that would be to make the Blackburn End and Darwen End £30 a ticket, thereby milking the large away crowd, whilst offering £10-15 tickets in the Riverside and JW Lower so that walk on fans could get to the game for a sensible price if they wanted, but either the club is too stupid to come up with such a scheme or they really don't care.

Regarding Cheston , he was at Everton for nearly 15 years (1), so does have some experience in footballing matters obviously a large part on the financial side, think he left the year after our favourite FA approved agent was helping to try and get a football fund originating in Brunei (2) over the line and into Goodison (dry run?).

(1) https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mike-cheston-7876701a

(2) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2354377/Everton-close-in-on-12.8m.html

oops just realised its the game thread so

Newcastle win 4-1

im confident today,i think we will nick a result,coyb.

To think we always used to go to Newcastle!,

Anyone remember Keeley, trying to flick the ball over a striker's head on the half way line? Well, it failed abysmally and the striker ran through to score. That was a 3-0 defeat, in front of all my geordie mates, as well. If I thought that was humiliation, I hadn't lived.

Now , thanks to Venky's, Anderson, Huber, Kean, Agnew, Coyle, Cheston, Scudamore and the FA.....today I feel nothing!

When the club is being run by an accountant with no experience in football matters and seemingly not being judged on football matters then its perhaps inevitable that the club will continue to bend over backwards to accommodate large away followings for the sake of an extra bit of income.

It's being going on for years now and we must be the only club in the land that immediately allocates 7,000+ away tickets to the visitors and basically sets them the challenge of filling it and having a great day out and travelling in their numbers. Everyone else sets a smaller allocation of 3 or 4 thousand and then releases more tickets if and when the first batch have gone (see Preston and Bolton).

Some clubs could significantly increase away followings at their grounds but chose not to do so in order to try and help the home team and make it a better atmosphere for the home club. Huddersfield have split the away end in half in order to put their fans behind the goals and improve the atmosphere even if that means missing out on some away ticket sales.

I don't really see how Rovers can complain about the number of home fans turning up at Ewood when the side is permanently in the bottom 3 and on one of the rare occasions that drifting fans might turn up for a better match/atmosphere they are being charged £30 an adult. That's a ludicrous price for any Championship club to charge any home supporters, especially so for one in the doldrums right after Xmas.

Of course one simple way to get round that would be to make the Blackburn End and Darwen End £30 a ticket, thereby milking the large away crowd, whilst offering £10-15 tickets in the Riverside and JW Lower so that walk on fans could get to the game for a sensible price if they wanted, but either the club is too stupid to come up with such a scheme or they really don't care.

They prob don't want to devalue half season tickets or at least that'll be the excuse. Not that it'll make much difference to the 100 or so they'll probably sell this year :blink:

Like you say though with a bit of smart thinking there's ways around it.

Cat A+ so they can fleece the Geordie hordes. If our form is still crap as expected it really is going to be 50/50 in the ground especially when you take into account them occupying most of the corporate and lounges.

Joke of a club we are !

It'll be like Wimbledon v Man Ure back in the day.

Archived