BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is Coyle Throwing Matches?

Jock

Considering many similarities with Kean it's no wonder this crops up. I prefer to just think he's an inept idiot but maybe he's another cunning snake happy to be portrayed as an idiot, that fits in with Venkys portrayal for sure.

I just keep thinking back to that Norwich game and the very odd selections and tactics..........

I honestly don't think he is smart enough to know how to throw a game. His general footballing ineptitude and naivete are what makes him useless. These, combined with his massive ego will ensure our relegation.

When a young defender steps up and shows he might just be the next Lenihen and maybe could turn into the next Hanley then he gets frozen out despite injuries to others in favour of 2 spent injury prone 36 year olds then these questions get raised.

• Backroom

Is Coyle intentionally throwing matches? I doubt it, he's just a poor manager who can't set up a team to defend. Some of his selections are probably based on bonuses, appearance fees, contract extensions, etc, much like under Kean, but I don't think the manager himself is out to lose matches. He's just useless. In a way the club is throwing matches by having him in the dugout, but Coyle probably thinks somewhere in his deluded mindset that he can do enough to get us out of trouble.

Ive never been able to accept the Spurs away match under King Rat wasn't bent.

Other than the match against Wigan where we were relegated, the Spurs match is the one I'll always remember from Kean's reign. I've never heard pundits and commentators so utterly baffled by what they were seeing. How many times did the commentators ask why Kean wasn't changing anything despite Spurs absolutely dominating from beginning to end? I mean, when you look at the team that were sent out that day:

Blackburn

• 01 Robinson
  • 05 Givet
  • 16 Dann
  • 18 Orr
  • 08 Dunn (Goodwillie - 84' )
  • 10 Formica
  • 12 Pedersen
  • 21 Ms Olsson
  • 35 Lowe
  • 23 Hoilett
  • 24 Yakubu (Modeste - 72' )

Now, granted, it's not a great first eleven... but also nowhere near bad enough to be as embarrassing as they were. It was like watching a Conference team, but even worse because there was no effort, no desire and no talent from a single one of those players in this match. Watching that match out of context you would have assumed we were either many divisions below Spurs or already relegated with nothing to play for. We were set up with the most inept tactics possible, but the players themselves looked to have already given up - even though at that point we were still in with a chance of staying up. It was incredible - in a bad way.

In saying that, our form had been disgraceful leading up to that match anyway. We lost to Bolton, Man Utd, West Brom, Liverpool and Swansea in the month before, recording 3-0 reverses against WBA and Swansea. We'd actually beaten Norwich the week before, somehow, but the Spurs result was really just normal service resumed. We lost 8 of our last 9 PL matches. And still Kean was lauded in the press with his dignity and courage. Makes me ill thinking about it.

Coyle is a joke, but I'm not sure anybody will ever eclipse Kean and the squad of 11-12 for sheer ineptitude and lack of desire. Both the manager and the squad gave up in March, with plenty still to play for. Unforgivable across the board. The likes of Dunn and Pedersen tarnished a lot of what they'd done for the club previously by being a part of that mess.

What is ringing in my ears, is the comment from Coyle in the Telegraph, before the match. He pretty much admitted that the way he has set the team up isn't working, but refused to change it. No matter what level you are working out, you do not keep trying the same thing when it clearly is not working. If that's not losing on purpose, then it's as close to it as you will ever get.

In saying that, our form had been disgraceful leading up to that match anyway. We lost to Bolton, Man Utd, West Brom, Liverpool and Swansea in the month before, recording 3-0 reverses against WBA and Swansea. We'd actually beaten Norwich the week before, somehow, but the Spurs result was really just normal service resumed. We lost 8 of our last 9 PL matches. And still Kean was lauded in the press with his dignity and courage. Makes me ill thinking about it.

I think you've found your answer, DE. This was a relegation-bound side that had thrown in the towel. To suspect anything else is to give Kean too much credit for somehow masterminding this without the implication of the players.

• Backroom

I think you've found your answer, DE. This was a relegation-bound side that had thrown in the towel. To suspect anything else is to give Kean too much credit for somehow masterminding this without the implication of the players.

I just wonder what caused the players to throw up their hands and say @#/? this. Prior to losing 2-1 to Bolton in March our form had been poor but with the odd win or draw keeping us within touching distance. We'd actually beaten Wolves away and Sunderland at home prior to that defeat. After Bolton our form plunged headfirst off a cliff. Just 3 points out of the final 27 available. We ultimately finished seven points from safety, so if we had been able to beat two out of Swansea, Bolton, West Brom or Wigan and picked up a draw somewhere else we would have stayed up.

Kean was a terrible manager, for sure, but for most of that season we kept in touch with the pack. It was only in the last two months that the players seemed to collectively stop caring and resigned us to a pretty miserable relegation. Something must have triggered that reaction.

When a young defender steps up and shows he might just be the next Lenihen and maybe could turn into the next Hanley then he gets frozen out despite injuries to others in favour of 2 spent injury prone 36 year olds then these questions get raised.

Who are you talking about? Not Nyambe surely? He's nowhere near ready for another season at least.

?

Frozen out after playing, central defender left out in favour of Coyles crap signings...........

frozen out ???? in favour of Mulgrew, Hoban , Greer??

Come on Tomphil get a grip. You normally speak reasonable sense.

When you sell hanley & Duffy and don't allow your manager any money to replace what do you expect to happen, seriously?? Those 3 would play every week above Wharton. He's a kid who will hopefully develop but actually hasn't been having a great time of it in the U21s. So hardly frozen out... more like not ready.

And if you have no money for replacements then you get those who are surplus at other clubs for a reason. Hoban and Mulgrew if fit (and that's the surplus for a reason) would be excellent for us and certainly not crap signings.

But hysteria has taken over again on here and lets get a good old conspiracy theory going for Xmas. Let me know who benefits from throwing games , seriously.

Throwing games my arse....come on boys have a word with yourselves.

frozen out ???? in favour of Mulgrew, Hoban , Greer??

Come on Tomphil get a grip. You normally speak reasonable sense.

When you sell hanley & Duffy and don't allow your manager any money to replace what do you expect to happen, seriously?? Those 3 would play every week above Wharton. He's a kid who will hopefully develop but actually hasn't been having a great time of it in the U21s. So hardly frozen out... more like not ready.

And if you have no money for replacements then you get those who are surplus at other clubs for a reason. Hoban and Mulgrew if fit (and that's the surplus for a reason) would be excellent for us and certainly not crap signings.

But hysteria has taken over again on here and lets get a good old conspiracy theory going for Xmas. Let me know who benefits from throwing games , seriously.

Throwing games my arse....come on boys have a word with yourselves.

Get a grip yourself pal we'll have to disagree we've had a defensive crisis and that lad appears to have been frozen out after breaking through and doing a job, doesn't matter who for he hasn't even been on the bench. Also if you lose who we lost, two 24 yr old internationals despite their many faults who in their right mind replaces them with two 36 yr olds, one with a horrific injury record and the other who's been released because his legs are shot ? Those 2 would struggle to get a gig in league 2 unless they were playing for 500 quid a week.

If he can find a Hoban then he also could have found better than those 2 who they've given contracts to on probably 10k+ pwk blowing your can't pay anything theory out the water. It's pish poor management for a club in our position and i fail to see what's conspiracy about that.

Get a grip yourself pal we've had a defensive crisis and that lad has been frozen out, doesn't matter who for he hasn't even been on the bench. Also if you lose who we lost, two 24 yr old internationals despite their many faults who in their right mind replaces them with two 36 yr olds, one with a horrific injury record and the other who's been released because his legs are shot ? Those 2 would struggle to get a gig in league 2 unless they were playing for 500 quid a week.

If he can find a Hoban then he also could have found better than those 2 who they've given contracts to on probably 10k+ pwk blowing your can't pay anything theory out the water. It's pish poor management for a club in our position and i fail to see what's conspiracy about that.

didnt the same already and admittedly happen to Salgado, Nelson, Givet?

how can anyone say.... oh no that wouldnt happen.

Someone will come on next and blame all our predicament on FFP and the embargo :blink:

Iv'e heard it all in the lost 24hrs.

Have to say though if Coyle was throwing games somehow he's bloody good at it going off his record since he walked out of the Turd :lol::lol:

Archived