BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Caesars, Saviours & Suckers

TBTF

Anybody heard about this book which is about ''the good , the bad and the ugly of footballs foreign owners''? Written by sports journalist, Bob Holmes and apparently a large, hard hitting section about Rovers, Venkys etc etc

I am told it is a recent publication but cant find out how to get a copy.

Anybody else heard about it?

Certainly worth tracking down. I contributed in a small way with an interview with Bob in my garden on a glorious afternoon in summer 2014 but it has the most extensive and considered insight into Ian Battersby's dealings with Venkys I've yet seen

Conspiracy theorists here or elsewhere might be disappointed that Ian states his belief that nothing criminal or against any footballing regulations in place occured over the period of the takeover and beyond

The chapters on Hearts FC are worth the cost of the book alone too - truly astonishing stuff

I'll email Bob and see if he can recommend where best to obtain it and I hope to have a review of it as part of my column next week

The Hearts story is barely believable.....but 100% true. There was a BBC Scotland documentary aired earlier this year that highlighted that, plus some other things that went on behind the scenes at various other clubs in the 80s 90s and 00s. Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Gretna.....some mind blowing tales. I look forward to getting hold of a copy of this book.

Certainly worth tracking down. I contributed in a small way with an interview with Bob in my garden on a glorious afternoon in summer 2014 but it has the most extensive and considered insight into Ian Battersby's dealings with Venkys I've yet seen

Conspiracy theorists here or elsewhere might be disappointed that Ian states his belief that nothing criminal or against any footballing regulations in place occured over the period of the takeover and beyond

The chapters on Hearts FC are worth the cost of the book alone too - truly astonishing stuff

I'll email Bob and see if he can recommend where best to obtain it and I hope to have a review of it as part of my column next week

thanks Meadows, will give that a whirl.

I suppose nothing has come out that's been proven but equally I am more interested in our future and whether we have one , than dwelling on the past

you know best ...how cute

Like Chelsea today. FA finds them innocent of breaking any rules when they paid 50000 quid to a victim of sexual abuse to shut him up and get them out of the sticky stuff.He had to sign an NDC,of course.

No rules broken, move along, noting to see here!

This conspiracy realist sees nothing surprising in your mate's opinion.

The thing that sticks out so clearly is that you want it so much to be true.

I am sure this statement is true - nothing criminal or outside the rules has taken place. That's why they are continuing to ruin our club unopposed.

However, has anything underhand or intentionally corrupt take place and I am sure the answer will be yes.

As for conspiracy, Venkys have surely conspired with other parties and as a result run the club virtually into the ground.

Their actions may not be illegal but they are certainly not morally acceptable.

I am sure this statement is true - nothing criminal or outside the rules has taken place. That's why they are continuing to ruin our club unopposed.

However, has anything underhand or intentionally corrupt take place and I am sure the answer will be yes.

As for conspiracy, Venkys have surely conspired with other parties and as a result run the club virtually into the ground.

Their actions may not be illegal but they are certainly not morally acceptable.

He would hardly spout it in a book anyway and i do think there was a certain logical plan as far as they were concerned that lured the head Venkys in. One or two of the others and their pals clearly had their own agendas though and no way have straight dice been thrown all the time since.

Not having read it yet i don't know for sure but he's probably referring to the trusts side of things, who knows what was being hatched in the bunker in Zurich.

I have read quite recently that Ian Battersby does not want to say anything too controversial and risk any potential future sale. I would have thought that very few people would be prepared to go on record suggesting anything that at the minute cannot be proven.

I personally would love the money that bought the club, allegedly transferred from a Western Union account in Bradford to be sourced and confirmed as clean, as I have my doubts that it is.

The first eight words of your second paragraph would have sufficed

He would hardly spout it in a book anyway and i do think there was a certain logical plan as far as they were concerned that lured the head Venkys in. One or two of the others and their pals clearly had their own agendas though and no way have straight dice been thrown all the time since.

Not having read it yet i don't know for sure but he's probably referring to the trusts side of things, who knows what was being hatched in the bunker in Zurich.

Humbug to you as well !

As far as I'm aware it's not against any domestic or international laws of finance for money to originate from or pass through Bradford or anywhere else in the U.K.

It certainly isn't but the normal practice for the purchase of a football club, or any business of such value for that matter, would be to either channel the funds from your bank or via your solicitors.

The fact that the monies were allegedly funnelled via a Western Union branch in Bradford is as bizarre as it gets. I have no reason at all to doubt the validity of the allegation as it seems a lot of work was undertaken to unravel the complicated paper trail by one of our prominent posters who is well respected on here.

You do wonder why the ICICI Bank which was said to be financing the purchase for Venkys didn't just transfer the funds to the Walker Trust bank ?

Maybe if funds were to be clubbed together from various investors then put through a neutral account to purchase something that would be a way to do it. They do everything opposite to the correct way though so it was probably just the cheapest.

Western Union branches are quite often low key affairs. There was one in Darwen run from a small newsagents just off Priory Drive. You don't need to compare or contrast anything. The fact that a £23m business purchase took place from one of them (allegedly) and after much transferring of monies to disguise the fact (allegedly) is bizarre.

Bob is expecting it to be available via Amazon.co.uk shortly but you can order it from Waterstones via title "Caesars, Saviours and Suckers" by Bob Holmes ISBN 978-0-9955666-0-6

As well as myself,Mark Ashworth, Josh Boswell, Brian Haworth and Dave Rose who runs the excellent whoareya.net website are quoted

With Bob being based in Malaysia he eventually tracked Shebby down but all requests to interview Kean remained predictably unreplied to

Book sounds a good read and have ordered a copy - many thanks.

What's the writer's background?

Bob is from the Midlands &worked for the Observer, Evening Standard & Telegraph

Then moved to the Sun-Herald in Sydney & is now based in Kuala Lumpur

He was put in touch with me by my mate Dave Rose who lives in Sydney and I think they now collaborate on the whoareya.net website which also takes the BlueEyed Boy column (for free!)

He contacted me and we spent a pleasant afternoon in my garden talking football in 2014, the only time We've met although we have spoken occasionally by phone since

He contacted me a few weeks ago to say the book was due out, would I like a review copy

Is Bob Holmes a big Liverpool fan?

Did Dave Rose go to Roe Lee?

Perhaps you can read my post again, it doesn't mention my opinion or the author's but Ian Batterby's

Whatever interpretation you choose to spin onto that is not something I can influence or particularly care about

I hope anyone who takes the trouble to track down the book enjoys it just as I did

Perhaps you should read your post again. You have no information from Ian Battersby at all! All you have is an a version of Battersby's alleged opinion from someone of your acquaintance. A third hand version in fact.

In any case, I've illustrated with the Chelsea example how difficult it is to actually infringe against the FA's rules which protect clubs not supporters, and apparently young players who needed protection.I noticed you ignored that.

Did you know that if Chelsea had reported the sex offences at the time,to then buy the victim off would have broken FA rules?

But because they never reported them, FA rules have not been broken! Priceless eh?

Whether Venkys and their cronies will ever stand up in court for what they have done to our club I don't know, but enough evidence has been provided to convince me that they are wrong 'uns.

What amazes me is that people like you who regard themselves as Rovers supporters will defend them at every turn as we slide further and further into oblivion.

Perhaps the smart thing to do would be to read the book before speculating what you think might be in it. You can also read 4 years of my blogs online

If you can find an example of me "defending Venkys at every turn" I'd be interested to see it

The cheap shot about me "regarding myself as a Rovers supporter" is in my opinion as low a blow as someone complaining about Chaddy telling someone they will be pleased we have lost and deserving a ban

Just unnecessary and uncalled for

Regardless, compliments of the season

This is the warped logic of some posters (you are not on your own): Chaddy telling someone they will be pleased we lost is fine but someone complaining about it is a low blow?

Then you have others saying 'play the ball not the man' - but again only when it suits them.

Merry bloody Christmas. :xmas:

Perhaps the smart thing to do would be to read the book before speculating what you think might be in it. You can also read 4 years of my blogs online

If you can find an example of me "defending Venkys at every turn" I'd be interested to see it

The cheap shot about me "regarding myself as a Rovers supporter" is in my opinion as low a blow as someone complaining about Chaddy telling someone they will be pleased we have lost and deserving a ban

Just unnecessary and uncalled for

Regardless, compliments of the season

1) A cheap shot from you at the end of your post aimed at the admin and hoping to get me banned.

2) I would rather watch Prime Minister's Question time on a loop than read 4 years worth of your blogs.

3) I note once again that you make no reference to the Chelsea example I gave you. To be aware of systematic sexual abuse but not to notify the police about and, instead, buy the victim off and use an NDC to hush up the multiple offences, is not apparently an infringement of FA rules.

On that basis Venkys are equally not guilty.

That's it from me, won't be saying anymore to you apart from Season's Greetings!

Didn't you know that questioning anything without evidence is an example of this?

If you ask questions of betting scams, you're effectively a Rao to the hive mind of BRFCC

Archived