BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Raise a red card to the Raos

EwoodDawn

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is with this website (and this is said as a true devotee of BRFCS) is that it's become an echo chamber- and just like Labour supporters on Twitter before the 2015 election, 'well all my friends and followers hate Tories, so Labour will DEFINTELY win', a lot fo folk on this site are totally misreading not just the Rovers fanbase, but fanbases in general.

'We need a total boycott'

it will never, ever happen, so stop wasting energy constantly banging on about it- however a form of 'boycott' is occuring anyway. Our crowds have gone from an average of 25000 to 14000, to 10000 and next season? Probably about 6000. There's your message, continue to flag it to the media- just like Glen did this weekend.

'Fella next to me wouldn't sing Venky's Out/wouldn't take a red card'

So? Don't need them to. Coventry are still getting 9000 crowds (where is their total boycott, by the way?), how many of that 9000 are running on the pitch, throwing tennis balls and such like? 5%, 10% max? Does it mean we don't know they are a mess? Of course we do, because that merry band of protesters are fighting the good fight.

'Joe Bloggs not protesting is why I hate Rovers'

This again shows me that a lot of folk on here just do not understand the varying types of people that go to watch their team at home; 

- From the likes of Neal and Mike handing out red cards; 

- To someone in the ground brandishing said card; 

-To those that hate the owners but don't really get involved;

-To those that just like watching a game of football, epseically if Man Yoo are in town - If we do go bust, plenty of these will merely shrug their shoulders anyway and get their kid a United shirt when he asks. So why expect them to be manning the barricades? 

- To those (few in number) that actively dislike any attempt to do anything- some misguided sense of loyalty to the 'club'.

These tribes will never sing from the same hymn sheet, so stop trying to make them, your wasting time and energy on a fruitless task and it plays into the owners hands. However, keep going with the matchday protests, though personally I still don't think anything has matched the Wolves game for impact, but most importantly OWN THE MESSAGE in the media- and for a second FA Cup weekend in a row we've done that magnificently.

Just now, meadows said:

As a collection of William Burroughs cut-up style random words that had a certain Bowie in Berlin era charm 47er

I look forward to you perhaps re-configuring some more, or some thoughts, into a coherent, salient point or series of points which we may be able to understand 

Nothing random there. Concise and to the point. It means "You are a plank".

1 hour ago, meadows said:

It's odious to sneeringly paint Rovers fans who came yesterday as "big game hunters" & "part timers" 

Whatever their reasons for coming I welcome anyone who wants to come to Ewood any time

just as I loved it when the townsfolk got behind the team in the post 91 era when gates doubled and almost trebled

Was anybody trying to slyly denigrate home fans then?

The truth is always a little more complex

To pick a random example out of one of Mike's invaluable books in January 2006 18,100 turned up for a Bolton v Rovers game. Seventeen days later there were 25,000 on the 4-3 game 

Two weeks later 18000 again v Sunderland 

Thèse of course are the seasons and averages we use to calculate that "14,000 regular fans have been lost" but then, as now, Manchester United whether we like it or not are box office

I hope there were kids or adults at their first game yesterday who got the bug just as I did from a trip to Burnden aged 7 after which I never wanted to miss another game!

i thoroughly loved every minute of it yesterday. Pub packed before, walk to the ground busy,terrific cup tie and super atmosphere 

It may be a long long time before such a crowd is seen at Ewood again or indeed such top-class opposition peppered with a couple of stars of the world stage

If you feel you are unable to stomach going fair enough but to resort to name-calling supporters who do turn up is infantile and bilious 

It's true though. Yesterday was full of part-time Rovers who wouldn't be seen dead at Ewood for a Championship game. Same as the Liverpool game under Bowyer. It's hardly 'infantile' or 'bilious'  to point that out.

Perhaps you need to stop looking for reasons to be morally outraged and offended at every turn. Daily Mail reader, perchance?

Just now, meadows said:

Wife & dad both came to Ewood for first time this season. Don't think either need to prove or have their credentials as Rovers fans endorsed by anyone on here or anywhere else. 

Dad a season ticket holder from 1947-2012, wife been to more away matches on Aspens coaches without toilets on than some shouting the odds on here will attend in a decade! 

Are they boycotting?!

Everyone should be tweeting Ben Stokes about Venkys. He's just signed for Pune Supergiants in the IPL for a record fee, so no doubt will have access to our beloved owners. It is in India where protests will have their biggest impact; maybe we could persuade Stokes to ask Bilaji et al what they intend to do about the Rovers, or even better get a possee in the crowd with banners saying, "Love Stokes, Hate Venkys".

I'm not surprised that the people handing out the cards outside came I'm for some abuse if the way they spoke to me Was anything to go by 

I had one bloke who seemed to have red cards with  printed info about venkys on telling me I need to take it as it Was full of information

I told him I know all about it but he wouldn't give up telling me how it wasn't good news and people attending for the first time for a while need to read it!??

It was far from the first time go a while I'd attended believe me

His arrogance Was unreal and if I didn't have my kids with me he'd have got a lot more than a mouthful off me

I already had 4 red cards in my pocket by the way

3 hours ago, meadows said:

It's odious to sneeringly paint Rovers fans who came yesterday as "big game hunters" & "part timers" 

Whatever their reasons for coming I welcome anyone who wants to come to Ewood any time

just as I loved it when the townsfolk got behind the team in the post 91 era when gates doubled and almost trebled

Was anybody trying to slyly denigrate home fans then?

The truth is always a little more complex

To pick a random example out of one of Mike's invaluable books in January 2006 18,100 turned up for a Bolton v Rovers game. Seventeen days later there were 25,000 on the 4-3 game 

Two weeks later 18000 again v Sunderland 

Thèse of course are the seasons and averages we use to calculate that "14,000 regular fans have been lost" but then, as now, Manchester United whether we like it or not are box office

I hope there were kids or adults at their first game yesterday who got the bug just as I did from a trip to Burnden aged 7 after which I never wanted to miss another game!

i thoroughly loved every minute of it yesterday. Pub packed before, walk to the ground busy,terrific cup tie and super atmosphere 

It may be a long long time before such a crowd is seen at Ewood again or indeed such top-class opposition peppered with a couple of stars of the world stage

If you feel you are unable to stomach going fair enough but to resort to name-calling supporters who do turn up is infantile and bilious 

Nice hyperbole but you appear to have gone off on a tangent in another one of your attempts to try and paint me in a bad light. All i am is a boycotting fan who gives his opinions, thoughts, suspicions mostly in reply to what's already on here or being discussed elsewhere. 

No amount of screenshot posts from here or quoting of my tweets then editing on your timeline so put a different slant on it will alter that. Iv'e been informed you might have a certain agenda which would explain quite a lot of the angle you put on stuff and your repeated targeting of me and one or two others. If you think i have any hidden agenda you are sadly mistaken so if you want a scapegoat go elsewhere.

On the supporter issue iv'e never really had a go at those who still go it's up to them i know many have the same feelings as me but stick at going. Iv'e found it extremely hard to stay away and it's perhaps made me rant on here and twitter more than i should but peoples emotions should be allowed to spew out on twitter without constantly looking over their shoulder for the likes of you trying to take it to your own timeline and portray things out of context to the way they were posted.

As for snidey or odious you wrote the book on that as well as sly judging by the way you operate and i know damn well i'm not alone in thinking this. in fact i'm quite flattered you've actually given a debatable reply to a post although i await some quote from a twitter post or something on here which you've wasted your time digging out just to try and belittle me again, nobody cares least of all me.

Just what is your 'real' agenda Jim ? Currying favour perhaps ?

14 minutes ago, meadows said:

Your introduction to me was a tweet saying "come and say that in a pub full of Rovers fans"  - "testerone fuelled numpty" was my description of that degree of civility 

Three days ago you posted a message on here saying "Me and him will meet up face to face at some point"

"Testerone fuelled numpty" doesn't sound too far off when someone virtually implies that violence will be aforethouhht does it? 

in addition you repeatedly accused me on Twitter of "interfering with your tweets" despite the fact that no one in 10 years has even discovered a way of correcting their own tweets 

if people display a rudimentary lack of decency and manners I make no apology whatsoever for calling them out 

How predictable was it you'd drag that up ?

I actually took exception to the way YOU were describing Rovers fans and you retorted in your usual manner to someone who doesn't agree with you. I then said something along the lines of you wouldn't say that i a pub full of fans, actually meaning i don't think you'd repeat what you said in the manner you said it in regards to fans in public. There was no mention of 'come in a pub full of fans and say that' in terms of threatening or violence that was just the manner to which you twisted it at all. See what i mean about slyly portraying things out of context ? I presume it's all still on my timeline for anyone who's even remotely interested.

You then made reference to it on your blog and anyone reading our tweets would know you were referring to me which is a bit out of order seeing as you keep telling people thousands read it. Anyway i actually made light of it and thought it was quite amusing if a little bit naughty. Things then got very silly and at one point you asked for a public apology on there which you got as well as a private message. That should have been the end of it but here we are again.

Your obviously after me threatening you or something so you can run off screaming, i assume that's part of the reason for your continued harassment ? Well again you'll be disappointed.

22 minutes ago, levi said:

I'm not surprised that the people handing out the cards outside came I'm for some abuse if the way they spoke to me Was anything to go by 

I had one bloke who seemed to have red cards with  printed info about venkys on telling me I need to take it as it Was full of information

I told him I know all about it but he wouldn't give up telling me how it wasn't good news and people attending for the first time for a while need to read it!??

It was far from the first time go a while I'd attended believe me

His arrogance Was unreal and if I didn't have my kids with me he'd have got a lot more than a mouthful off me

I already had 4 red cards in my pocket by the way

Not challenging your account at all but wouldn't it have been easy just to say "I've already got 4 in my pocket thanks"?

Well an awful lot of effort was made by a good many people before and during yesterday.

There was dreadful weather for the Blackpool protest.

There was dreadful weather yesterday and bloody goals on 18 and 75 minutes.

There really are dark forces against Rovers fans.

Do not be despondent. We will prevail. :brfc:

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, meadows said:

Your introduction to me was a tweet saying "come and say that in a pub full of Rovers fans"  - "testerone fuelled numpty" was my description of that degree of civility 

Three days ago you posted a message on here saying "Me and him will meet up face to face at some point"

"Testerone fuelled numpty" doesn't sound too far off when someone virtually implies that violence will be a forethought does it? 

in addition you repeatedly accused me on Twitter of "interfering with your tweets" despite the fact that no one in 10 years has even discovered a way of correcting their own tweets 

if people display a rudimentary lack of decency and manners I make no apology whatsoever for calling them out 

With respect Jim, your final tweets (before blocking you) contained insults and swears towards me and another fan which would get you a ban from here.

Your final paragraph is hypocritical beyond belief.

Just now, Mike E said:

With respect Jim, your final tweets (before blocking you) contained insults and swears towards me and another fan which would get you a ban from here.

Your final paragraph is hypocritical beyond belief.

If i was such an arse you'd expect him to have blocked me ages ago yet it was me who blocked him but it came to my attention he was still randomly quoting my tweets from somewhere and putting his snidey slants on them. He got zero response so goes back to screen shotting from here and now he's lost the plot.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Nice hyperbole but you appear to have gone off on a tangent in another one of your attempts to try and paint me in a bad light. All i am is a boycotting fan who gives his opinions, thoughts, suspicions mostly in reply to what's already on here or being discussed elsewhere. 

No amount of screenshot posts from here or quoting of my tweets then editing on your timeline so put a different slant on it will alter that. Iv'e been informed you might have a certain agenda which would explain quite a lot of the angle you put on stuff and your repeated targeting of me and one or two others. If you think i have any hidden agenda you are sadly mistaken so if you want a scapegoat go elsewhere.

On the supporter issue iv'e never really had a go at those who still go it's up to them i know many have the same feelings as me but stick at going. Iv'e found it extremely hard to stay away and it's perhaps made me rant on here and twitter more than i should but peoples emotions should be allowed to spew out on twitter without constantly looking over their shoulder for the likes of you trying to take it to your own timeline and portray things out of context to the way they were posted.

As for snidey or odious you wrote the book on that as well as sly judging by the way you operate and i know damn well i'm not alone in thinking this. in fact i'm quite flattered you've actually given a debatable reply to a post although i await some quote from a twitter post or something on here which you've wasted your time digging out just to try and belittle me again, nobody cares least of all me.

Just what is your 'real' agenda Jim ? Currying favour perhaps ?

I have to say I have started to wonder about the agenda.

We both know a certain writer's blogs are hardly "The Naked Lunch". Nevertheless, I would enjoy reading through an interesting piece by the same writer, who appears to care about the club. Then the script is tarnished by some gratuitous, mean spirited dig at protesters.

Why the constant  sneering at people who are trying to to publicise the abuse of BRFC? I genuinely don't get it.

I can't help thinking of Titus Oates.....or .......Paul Agnew!!

• Mike E unpinned this topic
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have to say I have started to wonder about the agenda.

We both know a certain writer's blogs are hardly "The Naked Lunch". Nevertheless, I would enjoy reading through an interesting piece by the same writer, who appears to care about the club. Then the script is tarnished by some gratuitous, mean spirited dig at protesters.

Why the constant  sneering at people who are trying to to publicise the abuse of BRFC? I genuinely don't get it.

I can't help thinking of Titus Oates!

Titus Oates! haha - very apt :lol:

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The problem is with this website (and this is said as a true devotee of BRFCS) is that it's become an echo chamber- and just like Labour supporters on Twitter before the 2015 election, 'well all my friends and followers hate Tories, so Labour will DEFINTELY win', a lot fo folk on this site are totally misreading not just the Rovers fanbase, but fanbases in general.

'We need a total boycott'

it will never, ever happen, so stop wasting energy constantly banging on about it- however a form of 'boycott' is occuring anyway. Our crowds have gone from an average of 25000 to 14000, to 10000 and next season? Probably about 6000. There's your message, continue to flag it to the media- just like Glen did this weekend.

'Fella next to me wouldn't sing Venky's Out/wouldn't take a red card'

So? Don't need them to. Coventry are still getting 9000 crowds (where is their total boycott, by the way?), how many of that 9000 are running on the pitch, throwing tennis balls and such like? 5%, 10% max? Does it mean we don't know they are a mess? Of course we do, because that merry band of protesters are fighting the good fight.

'Joe Bloggs not protesting is why I hate Rovers'

This again shows me that a lot of folk on here just do not understand the varying types of people that go to watch their team at home; 

- From the likes of Neal and Mike handing out red cards; 

- To someone in the ground brandishing said card; 

-To those that hate the owners but don't really get involved;

-To those that just like watching a game of football, epseically if Man Yoo are in town - If we do go bust, plenty of these will merely shrug their shoulders anyway and get their kid a United shirt when he asks. So why expect them to be manning the barricades? 

- To those (few in number) that actively dislike any attempt to do anything- some misguided sense of loyalty to the 'club'.

These tribes will never sing from the same hymn sheet, so stop trying to make them, your wasting time and energy on a fruitless task and it plays into the owners hands. However, keep going with the matchday protests, though personally I still don't think anything has matched the Wolves game for impact, but most importantly OWN THE MESSAGE in the media- and for a second FA Cup weekend in a row we've done that magnificently.

The thing is though, with so many disparate factions (within what should really be a united fanbase given the obvious destruction of the club we all support), it begs the question...

Who exactly are the protesters fighting for?

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The thing is though, with so many disparate factions (within what should really be a united fanbase given the obvious destruction of the club we all support), it begs the question...

I'm fighting for my soon to be born son so that he has a football team to support. I

I'll do my best for any protest I can make, like even handing out red cards to fans who I knew deep down don't have the guts to stand up and be counted but it felt like the right thing to do.

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That will be for each person to decide.

Any protesting I do is for 'the club', the institution that has been here since 1875.  

I look at my family, who have been fanatics for generations and what it means to us- the fact some folk don't want to help, some even think protesters are 'part of the problem', doesn't bother me one bit. Me and my family, my friends, my memories deserve a football club and I won't walk away from a fight just to spite those that don't want to help/don't agree with protesting.

They might not 'deserve' a football club, but I damn well do.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That will be for each person to decide.

Any protesting I do is for 'the club', the institution that has been here since 1875.  

I look at my family, who have been fanatics for generations and what it means to us- the fact some folk don't want to help, some even think protesters are 'part of the problem', doesn't bother me one bit. Me and my family, my friends, my memories deserve a football club and I won't walk away from a fight just to spite those that don't want to help/don't agree with protesting.

Great post

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That was an excellent post by Matty blue and agree with it wholeheartedly. I took me along time to understand that and accept it due to the obvious way the club is being neglected and with the potential of losing what we all supposedly love. Im sure fans love the club and match day experience but I'm surprised at how many actually care. So I guess the answer to your question Stuart is for the few thousand that love and care for this club.  the next generation of fans who deserve a properly run club, for the community, for the history that took 140 odd years to build and most of all for uncle jack

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I'm fighting for my soon to be born son so that he has a football team to support. I

I'll do my best for any protest I can make, like even handing out red cards to fans who I knew deep down don't have the guts to stand up and be counted but it felt like the right thing to do.

Totally agree with this, my daughter will be 1 next month I want her to enjoy coming to Ewood to see what I fell in love with, not the rotten to core infected mess we have now.

Ps Neal get some sleep now whilst you still can

Archived