BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Trust

A telling and icily true statement in the Guardian today, about the sportwashing of Golf (and any other sport the Saudis decide to buy into)...

The tragic paradox is that for the most part the people who care about sport do not own it and the people who own it do not seem to care for it at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jun/13/saudi-arabia-golf-pga-tour-public-investment-fund

Just a reminder that our AGM will take place this Thursday in the Red Rose suite at Ewood Park, starting at 7:15pm.

Existing and potential members are welcome to attend and we’d love to see as many of you there as possible. No tickets are required and you can just turn up on the evening. There’ll be refreshments and members attending will receive a free raffle ticket for the chance to win a special prize!

Not only do we want to share our recent activities and achievements with you, we want your input on the future direction of your Supporters Trust. This is particularly important for us at the moment as we enter a new phase of increased supporter influence at the club.

If you would like to become more involved or have any questions, we’d love to hear from you so please feel free to reach out for more information. We hope to see you on Thursday.

• Like 3

Just a reminder of our AGM tonight… All welcome!

Come and hear what we’ve been doing including updates on the fan led review and our meetings with the club, and learn about our exciting plans for the next year. We’d love your input!

Plus there’s a chance to win a match day hospitality package for those in attendance!

• Like 2

The AGM was a resounding success imho. Very slick and showed the professionalisation (for want of a better word) of the Trust Board. 
Tim Farron was an excellent special guest and there was some really good engagement with members throughout the event. 
There are some really exciting plans so my advice is to pay your tenner and get involved and be a part of this.

Well done to everyone involved!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Having thought about it I believe the name We Are The Rovers is a good choice for a supporter group. It is similar to what other clubs' supporter groups are named.

Rovers Trust was easily confused with the community trust, Blackburn Rovers Supporters Trust although more professional sounding can come across as stuffy and is quite long winded.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

In light of JDT shining a light on the ever present incompetence of the rovers hierarchy it will be interesting to see how the trust/we are rovers play this. I listened on bbc radio Lancashire to the chairman John Murray saying “the relationship has never been better and they’re signing a memorandum of understanding which gives the trust a strategic input to the club.” Cynically was/is this just the clubs way of paying lip service to a fans group to get them on side before their normal incompetence resumes.

The Trust is at a crossroads it probably didn’t want to find itself in, least of all today with the fans in control vs girona stuff. From a lot of the bumf I’ve read/heard it’s all about how we’re all friends these days (can’t say I’ve ever felt that way) and one of the themes today. Mr Murray might have to show some metal if wants to keep fans on side rather than be seen as another wing of the clubs propaganda machine in light of developments. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, matt83 said:

In light of JDT shining a light on the ever present incompetence of the rovers hierarchy it will be interesting to see how the trust/we are rovers play this. I listened on bbc radio Lancashire to the chairman John Murray saying “the relationship has never been better and they’re signing a memorandum of understanding which gives the trust a strategic input to the club.” Cynically was/is this just the clubs way of paying lip service to a fans group to get them on side before their normal incompetence resumes.

The Trust is at a crossroads it probably didn’t want to find itself in, least of all today with the fans in control vs girona stuff. From a lot of the bumf I’ve read/heard it’s all about how we’re all friends these days (can’t say I’ve ever felt that way) and one of the themes today. Mr Murray might have to show some metal if wants to keep fans on side rather than be seen as another wing of the clubs propaganda machine in light of developments. 

There’s a world of difference between “all being friends” and being the club’s “critical friend”.

The MoU is an agreement to allow fans to directly influence the strategic direction of the club, rather than just complain that the pies on the riverside are cold. 

Sorry if I'm late to the party today. Was all geared up to wander down to Ewood today. Spent a bit of time on social media to build upto the game and stumbled across the radio Lancashire interview. How this can be described as the best it's been in 10 years left me stunned. 

In fact it Totally put me off going. I appreciate the time you guys put into running the Trust, and what a thankless task it can seem at times. However there is building bridges and then there is becoming a PR outlet for the board.

If the Trust truly feel this is a good time for the club, then God help us. Even JDT is kept in the dark. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pk1875 said:

Sorry if I'm late to the party today. Was all geared up to wander down to Ewood today. Spent a bit of time on social media to build upto the game and stumbled across the radio Lancashire interview. How this can be described as the best it's been in 10 years left me stunned. 

In fact it Totally put me off going. I appreciate the time you guys put into running the Trust, and what a thankless task it can seem at times. However there is building bridges and then there is becoming a PR outlet for the board.

If the Trust truly feel this is a good time for the club, then God help us. Even JDT is kept in the dark. 

JDT hadn’t dropped last nights bombshell when that interview was recorded.

I spoke to Steve Waggott briefly before the game and highlighted the concerns that everyone had after last night as discussed on the other thread with @Mattybluelast night.

He reiterated what he said in the fans forum the other week - our budget has been cut due to government pressures on Venky’s, they need to cut costs and will need to sell players to fund signings. He knows we need players, so we need to trade but we will also be reliant on the academy players coming through. He’s hopeful Venky’s can “sort it out” but until they do that’s the reality. JDT is no different from any other manager in that he wants players and money for them, he’s had the situation explained to him. That’s where we are at.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

JDT hadn’t dropped last nights bombshell when that interview was recorded.

I spoke to Steve Waggott briefly before the game and highlighted the concerns that everyone had after last night as discussed on the other thread with @Mattybluelast night.

He reiterated what he said in the fans forum the other week - our budget has been cut due to government pressures on Venky’s, they need to cut costs and will need to sell players to fund signings. He knows we need players, so we need to trade but we will also be reliant on the academy players coming through. He’s hopeful Venky’s can “sort it out” but until they do that’s the reality. JDT is no different from any other manager in that he wants players and money for them, he’s had the situation explained to him. That’s where we are at.

No disrespect mate, but that sounds like an answer from $waggot himself.

Was he challenged? Venkys knew 100% that this change was bring brought in back in February, the budget was set knowing this... Also it doesn't come into play until October so now should be the time to invest. 

Not knocking you mate as I know you are sound and want the same as us all.. $waggot is a snake oil salesman and doesn't look upto the job.

That’s literally the answer Waggott gave when I asked him the question. I don’t think it’s anything to do with tax changes, when you look at what he says in the fans forum minutes it’s pressure/sanctions from the Indian Government that has come as a surprise and led to a change in the budget. We might have a whole new problem to deal with when the tax rules change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pk1875 said:

No disrespect mate, but that sounds like an answer from $waggot himself.

Was he challenged? Venkys knew 100% that this change was bring brought in back in February, the budget was set knowing this... Also it doesn't come into play until October so now should be the time to invest. 

Not knocking you mate as I know you are sound and want the same as us all.. $waggot is a snake oil salesman and doesn't look upto the job.

The restrictions are in place now; they are literally stopping money from being invested right now.

Hearing scheduled for mid-Aug, where it should (hopefully) be resolved.

Edited to add: Venky's were not aware of these restrictions in advance and had no way to foresee them (for confirmation, not tax related).

The thing that doesn't add up for me is that JDT was speaking as if these restrictions would be long-term, so there may be even more to it.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy said:

The restrictions are in place now; they are literally stopping money from being invested right now.

Hearing scheduled for mid-Aug, where it should (hopefully) be resolved.

Edited to add: Venky's were not aware of these restrictions in advance and had no way to foresee them (for confirmation, not tax related).

The thing that doesn't add up for me is that JDT was speaking as if these restrictions would be long-term, so there may be even more to it.

The restrictions have been put back until October 1st. And Venkys have long known about it.

5 hours ago, pk1875 said:

I haven’t heard the interview yet but I’m assuming that what was said was the relationship between the Trust and the club was in a better place? And if that genuinely put you off going down to Ewood today then I have no words to be honest. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Question for the trust.

As a member I'm intrigued to understand what happened during the window? 

What is the point in Waggot?

Is anyone going to hold him to account after saying we'd bought a new coach, when in fact it's not ours and can be leased? 

What impact did not going to India impact budget?

And why is Suhail still around? What does he do? 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Question for the trust.

As a member I'm intrigued to understand what happened during the window? 

What is the point in Waggot?

Is anyone going to hold him to account after saying we'd bought a new coach, when in fact it's not ours and can be leased? 

What impact did not going to India impact budget?

And why is Suhail still around? What does he do? 

I suppose there will be some answers to wider questions around the window coming soon from Broughton.

Not sure it’ll answer everything. Perhaps we can look into doing a Q&A with Waggott and/or Broughton for Trust members, now that the consultation meetings are no more.

31 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I suppose there will be some answers to wider questions around the window coming soon from Broughton.

Not sure it’ll answer everything. Perhaps we can look into doing a Q&A with Waggott and/or Broughton for Trust members, now that the consultation meetings are no more.

Good luck with that ‘wanted’ meeting with Waggott. It will be all lies anyway. Even if you get that meeting, you’ll know nowt more, than what you already knew. 

Do you think these sort of questions would be asked? Of course not. Some don’t want the boat rocked. One of the reasons we’re fed shite by these people. No one wants to upset the apple cart and let dogs lay. So, in other words, let them carry on ruining Rovers into the ground.