BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do Rovers fans in the main 'lack footballing knowledge'?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers fans do lack footballing knowledge, but not in the way Gav thinks they do. I will give some examples; being happy that N'Zonzi was sold for £3 (ish) million, didn't like Josh King, didn't like Rochina, fine with Judge being sold (given away), not rating Kalinic, Jason Lowe had 4/5 years before people realised he's gash, and more recently not rating Guthrie or Bennett. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Rovers fans do lack footballing knowledge, but not in the way Gav thinks they do. I will give some examples; being happy that N'Zonzi was sold for £3 (ish) million, didn't like Josh King, didn't like Rochina, fine with Judge being sold (given away), not rating Kalinic, Jason Lowe had 4/5 years before people realised he's gash, and more recently not rating Guthrie or Bennett. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of more.

Add to the top of what is a good list the name of superhero Big Sam. A legend.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

I brought up the 'lacking footballing knowledge' theme on another thread, and have argued against it vehemently in the past, but I do think it holds some truth the more I think about it.

I've been all over the world watching football and can count on one hand the amount of times I've heard home teams players being booed when the teams read out, or cheered when being substituted, it happens but very rarely. Most recent example would be Fellaini at United and we all know the United home crowd is made up of uneducated, in footballing terms, day trippers.

Off the top of my head we've had Jimmy Quinn, Jason Wilcox, Mark Atkins, Tim Sherwood, Richard Brown, Keith Andrews, Chris Brown and Lowe that have all been booed by their own fans, how can that be acceptable? how can that be anything other than a crowd, or section of, lacking footballing knowledge? 

Ninja Tattoo has also added Scott Sellars to the list.

I'm open to being convinced either way, but as someone who has never booed his own players ever I can't get my head around it. 

Bunkum Gav.

It's all subjective or a matter of opinion if you like. Personally I rate Sellars, Atkins, Wilcox and Sherwood all above Rhodes but we'll never agree. It's all down to opinion. That's football the world over. 

Imo the difference between booing and criticising is a matter of timing. Criticising - blimey X that was crap - happens after a player has in the current game has done something poor. Booing often occurs based on events prior to the game which were poor but are brought into the current game. Not sure in this case that booing does help as players performance wise should get a clean slate each game.

booing often occurs for other reasons though. To show disproval of a manager's selection, because a player is linked to a manager (e.g. Andrews with Ince) and becomes their representative, or because their attitude and actions stink (e.g. Best). All Imo more understandable booing - how else are the fans to show their displeasure at the situation? - but perhaps a little harsh on the player (In the first two examples it's often not their fault.)

Special mention to the odious Orr who managed to tick all 4 categories in being booed.

Pathetic thread, come on. The people of Blackburn historically are a working class community, they work their tits off and they don't take kind to shoddy excuses. This has continued into the current generation.

The players you mentioned put their hands over their faces at times and looked the other way to criticism, simple as that, and the Blackburn public can see through that, criticism should gear you on and make you a better player, with most of those mentioned it didn't, they hid, And for those who didn't  they were just poor players, and that's the way the rovers fans show their displeasure. 

Shall we get Barry and Paul chuckle up front and cheer them on and applaud their comedy every time we go forward just because its not nice to show your displeasure? Come on Gav don't post garbage 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Its open to debate, you're proving that Steve with your rational that booing a player means "letting them no were not happy with there performance"

Which is absolute bunkum in my opinion on so many levels..... 

How would you feel if someone came and booed you in your job, would it make you improve do you think?

In fairness, not all of us are paid thousands to entertain the public.

24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Hmm yes and no. Guthrie and Bennett are pretty average however their hard work in this second half of the season has meant they are worthwhile playing. Bennett on Saturday played some woeful passed, watch the game again in detail and you will see. However he worked his socks off, maybe that's why, because he worked so hard his concentration levels lacked, but some of his passes were very poor. Both are pretty much journeymen like most of our squad.

Agree on King said we should be playing him and got a mouthful from posters. Said same with rochina also.

kalinic to be fair to people didn't show great potential for this league but it was clear he was a good player.

Judge, again, agree.

I think If anything Rovers fans are more tolerant than most and in general football supporters have a lot less sympathy for a player who doesn't appear to be putting a shift in than lack of ability per se.

There is a limit to how much a supporter can take though, if you're so far below the level required I.e. Lowe, Ashley Ward, Chris Brown, etc but you keep getting picked ad infinitum by the manager regardless, im not so sure how the fans are meant to react, how else can you make your feelings known? Pen a letter/whip a quick e-mail off to the manager asking them to please not pick player X?.

Just now, AAK said:

Hmm yes and no. Guthrie and Bennett are pretty average however their hard work in this second half of the season has meant they are worthwhile playing. Bennett on Saturday played some woeful passed, watch the game again in detail and you will see. However he worked his socks off, maybe that's why, because he worked so hard his concentration levels lacked, but some of his passes were very poor. Both are pretty much journeymen like most of our squad.

Agree on King said we should be playing him and got a mouthful from posters. Said same with rochina also.

kalinic to be fair to people didn't show great potential for this league but it was clear he was a good player.

Judge, again, agree.

Couldn't disagree more on King whatever anyone says he was absolutely shocking during his time here and only put a shift in during the Cup games when he wanted to put himself in the shop window.  

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Couldn't disagree more on King whatever anyone says he was absolutely shocking during his time here and only put a shift in during the Cup games when he wanted to put himself in the shop window.  

Exhibit A.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I think If anything Rovers fans are more tolerant than most and in general football supporters have a lot less sympathy for a player who doesn't appear to be putting a shift in than lack of ability per se.

There is a limit to how much a supporter can take though, if you're so far below the level required I.e. Lowe, Ashley Ward, Chris Brown, etc but you keep getting picked ad infinitum by the manager regardless, im not so sure how the fans are meant to react, how else can you make your feelings known? Pen a letter/whip a quick e-mail off to the manager asking them to please not pick player X?.

Bennett didn't play amazingly well vs Villa, I know. But what he did off the ball was first class, he's easily been our best player in the second half of the season. Guthrie is a class above anything we've got at the minute, can actually keep the ball.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Booing is just another version of criticism. It's been around since gladitorial times and theatre. Very easy to join in with and show the feelings of a crowd. Seems to have been returned to popularity through TV shows like X Factor.

Nothing wrong with a good old boo to express general displeasure. Booing at an individual is a bit meaningless.

Depends if your booing him as he's name is being read out before the game has kicked off or boo the players as they leave the field after a 5-0 thrashin.

Many have booed the performance and the team as a whole but  ( and in my case and what Gav is getting at ) is booing a player in a disrespected way, first time I heard anything like it was whilst Sellars was warming up I heard boo's and someone shouted Sellars you're @#/?.. unacceptable and NOT a show of criticism ... How many times did I shout at Yorke for being a lazy txxt but end of the day he was rovers player and had my full backing.

Whilst on the subject I remember Stead getting booed at T.Parkes testimonial. Disgrace imho

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He was very rarely given a chance to play as a striker in the league though Rev

4 hours ago, Steve1 said:

It helps by letting them no were not happy with there performance..cant cheer on a crap player or they will continue to play crap..its nothing to do with knowledge of football or not having A brain !!!! Dumbo :rolleyes:

I think you just proved Gav's point

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

So what is this thread actually getting at?

That a lot of football fans are idiots? Well yes, but the Rovers fanbase is no worse for this than any other club.

I agree with this entirely. I am a 37 year old man and used to love being a kid and picking things up of people who i was stood around, learning the game. Now, idiots everywhere. I lost count of how many times someone would shout "forward" when we were keeping hold of the ball. Embarrassing on so many levels.

It always drives me mad how fans speak of Grabbi as a legend, yet overlook the likes of Emerton and Flitcroft who just got on with things consistently for the best part of a decade.

Just now, Pedro said:

It always drives me mad how fans speak of Grabbi as a legend, yet overlook the likes of Emerton and Flitcroft who just got on with things consistently for the best part of a decade.

Flitty got bang on with it.

Still can't believe we were robbed of an Emerton Testimonial. Grabbi was a larf, and that Liverpool header was worth the £7m alone.

Just now, Batman. said:

Flitty got bang on with it.

Still can't believe we were robbed of an Emerton Testimonial. Grabbi was a larf, and that Liverpool header was worth the £7m alone.

I pitied him more than anything. Great header that, generally a poor finisher.  In terms of Flitty, Emerton, Todd, Short etc. what I'd give for a couple of experienced 6.5/7 out of 10 players in the team. We've been absolutely looted since 2011.

Archived