BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do Rovers fans in the main 'lack footballing knowledge'?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I thought it was about football knowledge, and booing, not using it as a chance to criticise Jason Lowe (again)

Did you not see Gav's original (identical) post in the other thread which started this?

Keep up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

Did you not see Gav's original (identical) post in the other thread which started this?

Keep up.

"Gav, bored on a quiet Bank Holiday Monday morning, sits contentedly back in his chair in another part of the Country and cackles to himself delighted at the petty squabbles his skullduggery has created".

Lol.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

"Gav, bored on a quiet Bank Holiday Monday morning, sits contentedly back in his chair in another part of the Country and cackles to himself delighted at the petty squabbles his skullduggery has created".

Lol.

:lol:

Or he's gone out.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So you really think that a player walks back into the dressing room having been "called out" by which you mean sworn at and told how useless he is for most of the game but thinks to himself. It could have been worse, they could have boo'd.

The only difference is how you perceive your own intellect - as somebody who 'calls players out' - being superior to some inarticulate thick-neck who boos.

Players get criticised and sometimes abused all the time - it's part and parcel of their job and has been since football was invented.

Booing is entirely different and unacceptable in my view. 

Lol.

Not at all, I actually created the thread after you opened your post on the Villa thread with "Back on topic"....... and disenfranchised post alone is worth flicking through the squabbling, excellent post sir.

Can you recall going to an away match, in your 60yrs of following the club :P , and hearing a home team player being booed on to the pitch? 

How can booing your own player in anyway help him or the team in general? and its not just in these times of despair either.

To do that is lacking something? is it footballing knowledge? or just brains? 

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Players get criticised and sometimes abused all the time - it's part and parcel of their job.

I would say booing can be justified in that it's definitely criticism (and I would only boo an inept TEAM performance, rather than single out a player), whereas shouting and swearing is just random noise lost in the crowd to a player.

I'd never boo a player, but I've told Lowe in no uncertain terms what i think of his football ability and where I'd like him to go several times this season.

That being said, he's actually been more visibly involved this season. I don't really know if it's an improvement or not tbh.

Re: football knowledge, I don't think it has anything to do with the booing or otherwise of Lowe.

Just now, Gav said:

Not at all, I actually created the thread after you opened your post on the Villa thread with "Back on topic"....... and disenfranchised post alone is worth flicking through the squabbling, excellent post sir.

Can you recall going to an away match, in your 60yrs of following the club :P , and hearing a home team player being booed on to the pitch? 

How can booing your own player in anyway help him or the team in general? and its not just in these times of despair either.

To do that is lacking something? is it footballing knowledge? or just brains? 

I've heard booing on a few grounds where the team has been relegated and obviously given up, or been particulalrly poor, but cannot recall booing of individual players. It's not down to lack of football knowledge IMO but certainly boorish unacceptable behaviour. 

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Players get criticised and sometimes abused all the time - it's part and parcel of their job and has been since football was invented.

Booing is just another version of criticism. It's been around since gladitorial times and theatre. Very easy to join in with and show the feelings of a crowd. Seems to have been returned to popularity through TV shows like X Factor.

Nothing wrong with a good old boo to express general displeasure. Booing at an individual is a bit meaningless.

• Moderation Lead

I don't think the original post is confined to Rovers fans, a lot of fans haven't got a clue tbh. Look at Arsenal fans going on about Wenger 'killing the club' and United fans with Fellaini, England fans with Sterling etc. Bloody drama queens the lot of them. Lowe is a poor footballer with limits there's no doubt, but the way some people go on is way OTT. 

What's most alarming is that a lot of these people watch so much football, yet are still clueless. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A lot of this lack of knowledge comes from not having played the game much IMO.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I don't think the original post is confined to Rovers fans, a lot of fans haven't got a clue tbh. Look at Arsenal fans going on about Wenger 'killing the club' United fans with Fellaini. Bloody drama queens the lot of them. Lowe is a poor footballer with limits there's no doubt, but the way some people go on is way OTT. 

What's most alarming is that a lot of these people watch so much football, yet are still clueless. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A lot of this lack of knowledge comes from not having played the game much IMO.

Like EVERY single society, culture, group etc etc there is a percentage of good, bad, indifferent, sharp, dense etc etc.

In our case, I think we have more young fans with a cut off from the reality of BRFC pre Jack Walker. It's all about individual circumstances.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I

There might be something in this. I played to a decent standard which is probably why I get annoyed when I see a player who cannot do the basics or makes silly mistakes. We've had a few players at Rovers down the years who you struggle to understand how they ever made it as a professional so it's not surprising fans get irate. But booing them is childish and pathetic. 

I've found myself cringing over the years at some of the boos and jeers aimed at the likes of Andrews but I imagine it's something you see up and down the country.

I mean, when you have a good few thousand people saying "oh ffs Keith" or whatever after a poor pass, it doesn't sound particularly good and sounds like collective booing, but you can't expect people to keep shtum when witnessing poor football.  I witnessed it not too long ago with Everton fans giving Cleverley a bit of stick.

I think if we took 92 Rovers fans and made each one of us an ST holder for an EFL team, we'd find this sort of thing is commonplace up and down the country, where the fans react to what they see on the pitch and where certain players are perhaps made scapegoats.  Not saying it is right as such, but it certainly isn't limited to this part of Lancashire.

Ps give me £10k a week and you all can line up at Ewood and shout whatever you like at me for an hour and a half.  Bonus points if you can make me cry into my wads of cash.  Boo hoo.

19 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It didn't seem to do the likes of Mourinho and Wenger any harm!.

I really do think this is one of the biggest red herrings about. Usually peddled by ex pros in the media who want paying for their opinions. Most fans by definition are regular watchers of the game and know a duff player when they see one. Regardless of whether they've ever kicked a ball professionally.

• Backroom

Only the players who UNDERSTAND the game would make good managers. The kind of players who play to the whistle, are able to read what's in front of them, understand when to @#/? your teammates and when to put anarm round their shoulder, understand the effect of individual positions and attributes on the overall team.

Then again, I didn't exactly see Stam as a future manager, but thought Gary Nevill would be so...

• Moderation Lead

It didn't seem to do the likes of Mourinho and Wenger any harm!.

I really do think this is one of the biggest red herrings about. Usually peddled by ex pros in the media who want paying for their opinions. Most fans by definition are regular watchers of the game and know a duff player when they see one. Regardless of whether they've ever kicked a ball professionally.

That's not really what I was getting at....

I meant some fans on the terraces, if they've not played much, perhaps they might not understand the more intricate details of the game per se. 

28 minutes ago, Steve1 said:

It helps by letting them no were not happy with there performance..cant cheer on a crap player or they will continue to play crap..its nothing to do with knowledge of football or not having A brain !!!! Dumbo :rolleyes:

First rule when insulting fellow posters, get the spelling right dumbo :tu:

5 minutes ago, Steve1 said:

I will do..not that I am ever going to insult anyone...unlike you thinking were all brain dead and have no knowledge !!!!

Its open to debate, you're proving that Steve with your rational that booing a player means "letting them no were not happy with there performance"

Which is absolute bunkum in my opinion on so many levels..... 

How would you feel if someone came and booed you in your job, would it make you improve do you think?

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

How would you feel if someone came and booed you in your job, would it make you improve do you think?

You're right, Gav. As share holders we should expect the heads at the top of the organisation to roll for failing to recruit and motivate their staff. Funny that doesn't work either.

Or perhaps we could bring it up at Lowe's next appraisal.

It's all getting a bit silly now this debate. Players consistently play @#/? and they get booed occasionally. The end.

Surely that's better than getting on the pitch?

Archived