SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Are you being sarcastic?

Rosler - totally outclassed Mowbray tonight, has had a very impressive managerial career so far, and has done a great job at Fleetwood.

Grayson - 4 promotions out of this league.

Johnson - done a great job with the u23s and will know our squad inside out.

Mowbray - been an utter failure since 2008.

Can't believe I dignified your comment with a response.

Rosler has impressive managerial career? What has he won or any promotions on cv? 

Just now, RV Blue said:

We aren't going up under Mowbray so why not roll the dice? Someone appointed Lambert, which was widely regarded as a great appointment at the time.

But he turned out to be awful and couldn't wait to get away.  Listening to Sunderland fans on the radio coming back from Ewood sounded rather familiar.  An owner out of his depth, poor decision making at the top, overpaid players not performing and a constant stream of managers - the result is a likely drop into League One like ourselves.  Both clubs have major issues that go far beyond the manager.  

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are 6th in the league. 

Sacking him now would be massive mistake IMO..

Pedro, who the upgrade then?

This is exactly the cliché.

We don’t even look like play-off candidates in a season where we need, and should be expecting, promotion. If not this season then it will only get harder. Some big name clubs will be in this division next season, with more money than us.

Your post could have been written 4 years ago and be about Bowyer. Now look where we are. “Big mistake”; “keep the faith”; “let’s not have a knee-jerk reaction”, “who would be better”.

It’s the same argument about us being a normal club or not. Those most in favour of keeping Mowbray believe he is in charge (normal club). Those same people think we will - almost deliberately - bring in a worse manager (abnormal club). Folk can’t have it both ways.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Does D.Johnson even want to be a 1st team manager?

Rosler has never achieved promotion 

Grayson just be sacked by Sunderland. 

I dont mind watching Mowbray team but It will never be as good as Mark Hughes teams. But I aint expecting it too either. 

Our Style at Home is keep the ball, get the wide and cross the ball. Away.is abit too defensively for my likely. 

I know what my team would be for home and away games. Does Mowbray? Thats a question to asked him not me. 

Ive seen plenty this season that says we can finish top 2. We are 15 games in. Still 31 games to play. No.reason to panic for me. 

Happy with 6th? Of course not but the season hasnt finish yet..

I'm sorry chaddy, we're 15 games in and have never looked remotely like promotion contenders and other than an odd 15 minutes or so haven't played well either. I cannot see what you have seen plenty of so far this season that you consider we can still finish in the top 2. Please ease my depressed state and enlighten me, perhaps you've been watching different games than I've had the misfortune of witnessing. (For me, we've been bloody appalling but football aside, I've had some good days out).

I'm not panicking in the slightest by the way because I've resigned myself to the inevitable.

Sunderland are rotten and only a good takeover, sensible upstairs appointment and manager then a clear out will turn them around. Too right it sounds familiar. Grayson was mad to go there and leave his cushy number at PNE.

Anyone with 4 promotions on his CV from this league needs looking at though from our point of view. Trouble is with Mowbray we are back to the cavernous vacuum again, was shadow even there tonight ?  Who pulls Mowbray to one side and says you said you believed you'd have us challenging, you got your contract extension and Championship budget so pull your finger out old son or we'll have to review things soon ?

Nobody, just bumble along.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Does D.Johnson even want to be a 1st team manager?

Rosler has never achieved promotion 

Grayson just be sacked by Sunderland. 

I dont mind watching Mowbray team but It will never be as good as Mark Hughes teams. But I aint expecting it too either. 

Our Style at Home is keep the ball, get the wide and cross the ball. Away.is abit too defensively for my likely. 

I know what my team would be for home and away games. Does Mowbray? Thats a question to asked him not me. 

Ive seen plenty this season that says we can finish top 2. We are 15 games in. Still 31 games to play. No.reason to panic for me. 

Happy with 6th? Of course not but the season hasnt finish yet..

Get the ball wide? Apart from the scarcely used Chapman, we play Bennett and Conway wide who naturally come inside, and Antonsson who does likewise, to no effect. We had very little width tonight again.

By keep the ball, do you mean aimlessly in our own half and very slowly, before hoofing it aimlessly, something we could have done 20 passes ago, up to a striker dwarved more often than not by 2 League 1 centre backs?

Sometimes we press, sometimes like tonight we totally back off, sometimes we play from the back, sometimes we go direct, he is just hoping something eventually clicks.

If thats his tactic, why sign Samuel and Dack, and not a big target man?

Mowbray doesnt have a clue what his best team is. 

What have you seen to suggest that we will get the points and goals totals that he mentioned before the season, and that we will put a run of games together? Having been to the last 5 games im certainly scratching my head.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mind offering some suggestions as to what? Other than hard fought narrow wins at Bradford and Scunthorpe and acceptable points away at Wigan and Shrewsbury I''ve seen nothing in terms of results or performances that makes me think that this team or manager will get remotely near the top 2.

We aren't consistent in selection, tactics, performances or results. Even within games we lurch from periods of domination and quality to longer periods of looking like a bunch of strangers thrown together 20 minutes before kick off. Our reaction to taking the lead twice tonight set all sorts of alarm bells off with me. I could excuse the first equaliser but then to concede the second was frankly a disgrace and our reaction to going 2-1 up late on in the game appalling.

31 games to play - what number does that have to reach before you do panic? 20? 15? 10?

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rosler has impressive managerial career? What has he won or any promotions on cv? 

I've explained to you before that you're being disingenuous. Rosler was on the way to getting Brentford promoted when he left midseason to go to Wigan. He got Wigan to the playoffs in the Championship and finished 3rd with Fleetwood last season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Rösler

Read that and tell me it isn't impressive. His CV is 10x better than Mowbray's, and he showed tonight that he is a 10x better manager.

Just now, tomphil said:

Sunderland are rotten and only a good takeover, sensible upstairs appointment and manager then a clear out will turn them around. Too right it sounds familiar. Grayson was mad to go there and leave his cushy number at PNE.

Anyone with 4 promotions on his CV from this league needs looking at though from our point of view. Trouble is with Mowbray we are back to the cavernous vacuum again, was shadow even there tonight ?  Who pulls Mowbray to one side and says you said you believed you'd have us challenging, you got your contract extension and Championship budget so pull your finger out old son or we'll have to review things soon ?

Nobody, just bumble along.

Regardless of individuals views on Mowbray - whether he should go now or get longer to sort this out - there should be a 'backup' list of managers who we would turn to in the event a change needed to be made. Every professional club in the land should have such a list. Contingency planning. Something to turn to in the event things go wrong. 

It might be too early to dump Mowbray, but either way it would be negligent of the owners/directors to not have at least a bullet point list of people to turn to in the event it needs to happen. 

Grayson should of course be near the top of that list. 

Somehow I get the feeling no such list exists and it will be Johnson/Dunn/Lowe filling the void next not because of anything other than they are cheap and already at the club.

Just now, RV Blue said:

I've explained to you before that you're being disingenuous. Rosler was on the way to getting Brentford promoted when he left midseason to go to Wigan. He got Wigan to the playoffs in the Championship and finished 3rd with Fleetwood last season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Rösler

Read that and tell me it isn't impressive. His CV is 10x better than Mowbray's, and he showed tonight that he is a 10x better manager.

So he hasnt won anything or achieved Promotion then?

12 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

But he turned out to be awful and couldn't wait to get away.  Listening to Sunderland fans on the radio coming back from Ewood sounded rather familiar.  An owner out of his depth, poor decision making at the top, overpaid players not performing and a constant stream of managers - the result is a likely drop into League One like ourselves.  Both clubs have major issues that go far beyond the manager.  

Don't even think about comparing Sunderlands uninterested owner to the corruption at this club Parson, that's poor.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exaxtly why he should stay

If Mowbray wants to improve he has to replace his coaching team upto him or is it ?

Let's hope the likes of Gladwin and Ward are relocated in January.

Just now, JHRover said:

Regardless of individuals views on Mowbray - whether he should go now or get longer to sort this out - there should be a 'backup' list of managers who we would turn to in the event a change needed to be made. Every professional club in the land should have such a list. Contingency planning. Something to turn to in the event things go wrong. 

It might be too early to dump Mowbray, but either way it would be negligent of the owners/directors to not have at least a bullet point list of people to turn to in the event it needs to happen. 

Somehow I get the feeling no such list exists and it will be Johnson/Dunn/Lowe filling the void next not because of anything other than they are cheap and already at the club.

If Mowbray's still the man (I'm not sure he ever was) then they need to appoint somebody complimentary with charisma to work along side him and get shut of Venus and Lowe. At the same time also get shut of the goalkeeping coach who clearly is not developing Raya and ironing out his flaws and lack of confidence.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Mind offering some suggestions as to what? Other than hard fought narrow wins at Bradford and Scunthorpe and acceptable points away at Wigan and Shrewsbury I''ve seen nothing in terms of results or performances that makes me think that this team or manager will get remotely near the top 2.

We aren't consistent in selection, tactics, performances or results. Even within games we lurch from periods of domination and quality to longer periods of looking like a bunch of strangers thrown together 20 minutes before kick off. Our reaction to taking the lead twice tonight set all sorts of alarm bells off with me. I could excuse the first equaliser but then to concede the second was frankly a disgrace and our reaction to going 2-1 up late on in the game appalling.

31 games to play - what number does that have to reach before you do panic? 20? 15? 10?

Very good home wins against Rotherham and MkDons. Plus picking very good away wins at Bradford and Scunthorpe. 

7 cleans sheets out of 15 games. 

I panic when we cant get top 2 or even top 6(if we have to do it this way)

Just now, JHRover said:

I think when someone like Grayson becomes available he just has to be considered if you actually want promotion even if your present guy is just under achieving rather than being an outright disaster.

Can't judge Grayson on a brief spell at a club in clear crisis it's just an error of judgement by both parties there but with 4 yes 4 promotions from this league in recent times at 3 clubs similar in size to us at present and one with an even bigger weight of expectation and infirm ownership it's a no brainer for me now.

Get him on standby and give Mowbray 3 games to step it up or step out.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So he hasnt won anything or achieved Promotion then?

No he hasn't, what's your point? Coyle achieved promotion with Burnley, does that make him a good manager? Pochettino has won nothing in his career, does that make him a bad manager?

Just now, JAL said:

If Mowbray wants to improve he has to replace his coaching team upto him or is it ?

Let's hope the likes of Gladwin and Ward are sent packing in January.

Don't get your hopes up Jal, those 2 are probably due a starting place soon, got to keep the squad happy, after all.

Archived