BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

5 minutes ago, Athlete said:

I wonder if it's even on the agenda 

Promotion? I genuinely don't know.

They chucked a little bit of cash at the squad in the summer (not a great deal when you need to sign like 10 players) but I still don't know why the owners are even here.

You could make a good case for them not wanting to sell us due to a large number of skeletons that might tumble out of the closet further down the line, so keeping us as low as possible and just continuing the consistent downgrade to minimise costs.

But then we are back into conspiracy mode but someone did ask me the other day "Why did Venky's buy you in the first place?"

I couldn't give them an answer.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Most around me at Ewood Park are still behind Mowbray and believe he is the right manager for us. Spoke to other Rovers fans(over 20) through work and apart from 1 or 2 everyone is right behind manager. 

No one is chanting during games for Mowbray to be sack either

Exactly there's no flight of fantasy involved.

Sacking yet another manager shouldn't be a consideration.  We keep doing it and it keeps making things worse.  I don't believe Mowbray is the greatest manager ever, but he's decent enough calibre to manage at this level and getting rid of him won't address where the real problems lie at this club.  It'll just create another period of upheaval that'll have an adverse effect on our form (as has repeatedly happened before).  And we'll end up with another manager of similar ability who everyone will want out after 6 months because things haven't changed and we've gone further the wrong way. 

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Probably more important things on their agenda. Cat might need another appointment at the vets.

Surely we don't have a cat and if we do, why all those mouse droppings?

55 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Promotion? I genuinely don't know.

They chucked a little bit of cash at the squad in the summer (not a great deal when you need to sign like 10 players) but I still don't know why the owners are even here.

You could make a good case for them not wanting to sell us due to a large number of skeletons that might tumble out of the closet further down the line, so keeping us as low as possible and just continuing the consistent downgrade to minimise costs.

But then we are back into conspiracy mode but someone did ask me the other day "Why did Venky's buy you in the first place?"

I couldn't give them an answer.

This is exactly why some people tend to believe that Venkys names are on the deeds, but someone else pulls the strings. That question of why the bought us in the first place, is one the no one can answer, in a manner that makes any sense.

56 minutes ago, Skiptonrover said:

Exactly there's no flight of fantasy involved.

I think most people have now come to the conclusion that no manager will turn this around. The passion is slowly draining from even the most ardent of supporters, which is just so sad.

What is needed is a group of properly empowered, knowledgable individuals to be appointed and grab the club by the scruff of the neck and give it a damn good shaking. Why oh why did Venkys not at least talk to Battersby and Currie?

I know it's rinse and repeat but until we have a business like structure that provides direction we will all continue to get increasingly frustrated.

Mowbray is what he is. Should never have been near Ewood in the first place if Rovers had any true ambition.

58 minutes ago, Rover-the-Top said:

Sacking yet another manager shouldn't be a consideration.  We keep doing it and it keeps making things worse.. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. The Allardyce sacking was nothing to do with football - a catastrophic decision but not one motivated by footballing reasons or the health of the club. The sackings of Berg and Appleton occurred but paved the way for Bowyer to get the job who subsequently did a great deal to sort the club out and get it on a more steady footing - so I don't think their departures necessarily did us harm. The sacking of Bowyer happened for reasons still unknown but Lambert's results were marginally better. We improved significantly under Mowbray after sacking Coyle so that was entirely justified albeit far too late in the day and Coyle should have never got the job.

The only sacking that has resulted in a major downturn in performance was the removal of Allardyce. Kean walked out, we picked up after sacking Berg and Appleton under Bowyer, we improved slightly under Lambert after sacking Bowyer, Lambert walked out because he couldn't do the job because of these owners, we improved after sacking Coyle and nearly survived.

Our trajectory is one of more or less continued decline and I accept that is probably in part down to a botched recruitment process and outrageously high turnover in personnel - managers, players and coaches - but I don't think sacking a manager directly harmed our on the field results since Allardyce's day.

It isn't so much the regular changes/sackings of managers but the calibre of those recruited - Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle, Mowbray - lets be honest the only one of those really of sufficient calibre to manage this club was Lambert. Kean we all know what that was. Berg and Appleton bonkers left field appointments and a job too big for them. Bowyer arguably a sensible decision given the circumstances but nonetheless a managerial novice cutting his teeth in the job. Lambert had the CV with Norwich and Villa but with that comes higher standards and expectations from the manager. Coyle was a sick joke possibly bordering on criminal decision making having long been sussed out and exiled to the US, now at his level with Ross County and Mowbray missed out on the Chesterfield job and left Coventry in dire straits in League One.

25 minutes ago, lraC said:

I think most people have now come to the conclusion that no manager will turn this around. The passion is slowly draining from even the most ardent of supporters, which is just so sad.

Only if you let it. In my opinion some people get too involved when there's no need to, I don't get involved in the politics or the whys & why nots there's plenty I could say on the Kentaro, JA ect I choose not to. I'd rather distance myself away from it & focus on the football side nice & simple no dramas.

Just now, Skiptonrover said:

Only if you let it. In my opinion some people get too involved when there's no need to, I don't get involved in the politics or the whys & why nots there's plenty I could say on the Kentaro, JA ect I choose not to. I'd rather distance myself away from it & focus on the football side nice & simple no dramas.

Fair enough and I would never knock anyone taking that stand.

Focus on the football? Commiserations.

The only thing open to change is the manager. Why want to keep a clueless belltop just because the owners are clowns? They may eventually stumble on someone who really knows what they are doing.? The squad is half decent but this career failure is making it have all the vroom of an 80's Ladha.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I just think we are much better sticking with Mowbray right now. We are 6th in the league. Some fans calling for him to.be sack is crazy. 

Crazy NOT to sack him.

We have the players to be tearing this leaguleague apart IF utilised properly.

This season we can still go up, however, we need a huge injection of positivity, common sense and simplification which, IMV, our gruesome three some are incapable of delivering.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's the manner of the performances-we never comfortably win!!!!!! It is a constant struggle no matter who we play 

That is because Mowbray is constantly coming out before each and every game saying how difficult it is going to be 

I remember a passage from Roy Keanes book- here it is

“I played under good managers, bad managers. The top managers get a feel for the group, they know what you need. Whatever Alex Ferguson’s strengths and weaknesses, that was by far his biggest strength.

“Me and Alex Ferguson, we had the same type of traits, of what Manchester United was about. I think that probably created the problems towards to the end. We almost knew we were coming to the end.”

Keane, whose United career ended following a controversial interview with the in-house TV station MUTV, recounted one particular pre-match team-talk which reflected Ferguson’s ability to read the mindset of his players. “I thought I knew what the group might need, that we didn’t need a big team talk,” said Keane. “It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll @#/?ing do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

Comparing Mowbes & bacon face isn't equal, 1 had the greatest of riches at his disposal the other should be doing a marginally better job without the same resources. I'd like to see Alex Ferguson manage this crew & see the results.

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Most around me at Ewood Park are still behind Mowbray and believe he is the right manager for us. Spoke to other Rovers fans(over 20) through work and apart from 1 or 2 everyone is right behind manager. 

That's funny as those I've spoken with in recent times have all been in favour of ditching Mowbray and that includes three persons closely connected to Rovers!

Funny old world Chaddy.

Can we please have a poll moderators?  Simple question - 'should Mowbray be replaced as Rovers' manager'

Just now, Mercer said:

That's funny as those I've spoken with in recent times have all been in favour of ditching Mowbray and that includes three persons closely connected to Rovers!

Funny old world Chaddy.

Can we please have a poll moderators?  Simple question - 'should Mowbray be replaced as Rovers' manager'

Two polls in a day! The ambassadors are spoiling us!!

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No one is chanting anything at Ewood. There is nothing to excite us anymore, no fast flowing football just dour, unimaginative, repetitive and error laden displays. It would be acceptable if we were winning regularly but we aren't. The manager has to be responsible for this.

Just now, Mercer said:

Funny old world Chaddy.

Apologies - now seen the new thread and poll.

35 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Crazy NOT to sack him.

We have the players to be tearing this league apart IF utilised properly.

This season we can still go up, however, we need a huge injection of positivity, common sense and simplification which, IMV, our gruesome three some are incapable of delivering.

Crazy NOT to sack him? Don't agree with that at all. Although automatic promotion looks doubtful, the play offs should be achievable. I wondered if we might go straight back down again, such is the malaise at the club. I think our larger squad kicks in after Xmas and we make the play offs relatively comfortably.

Not sure how you have come to the second conclusion. At no time have we looked head and shoulders above the others. Rarely have we dominated and rarely have players won individual battles against supposedly inferior opposition. Rarely have we won easily. Just because some players are slightly better known than others at this level does not automatically guarantee any dominance as we have discovered.

There is no need to panic just yet and although some results have been poor, it is still relatively early in the season and in my view things will improve as our players fully gel and other squads start feeling the strain on their playing resources. 

Just now, onlyonejackwalker said:

Crazy NOT to sack him? Don't agree with that at all. Although automatic promotion looks doubtful, the play offs should be achievable. I wondered if we might go straight back down again, such is the malaise at the club. I think our larger squad kicks in after Xmas and we make the play offs relatively comfortably.

Not sure how you have come to the second conclusion. At no time have we looked head and shoulders above the others. Rarely have we dominated and rarely have players won individual battles against supposedly inferior opposition. Rarely have we won easily. Just because some players are slightly better known than others at this level does not automatically guarantee any dominance as we have discovered.

There is no need to panic just yet and although some results have been poor, it is still relatively early in the season and in my view things will improve as our players fully gel and other squads start feeling the strain on their playing resources. 

Enough happened in the summer to at least spare us that ignominy. What happens next summer though if the club fails to get promotion? Can't imagine anything good.

2 hours ago, Rover-the-Top said:

We keep doing it and it keeps making things worse.

When was the last time a sacking of a manager made things worse?

Allardyce > Kean - worse (obviously)

Kean > Berg - better

Berg > Appleton - no difference

Appleton > Bowyer - better

Bowyer > Lambert - marginally better

Coyle > Mowbray - marginally better

So the last time was Allardyce's sacking 7 years ago.

55 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Funny old world Chaddy.

3 persons closely connected to Rovers?

Archived