BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] coaching staff changes

• Backroom
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

My God.

The man was a complete chancer,his infamous speech at the King Georges Hall fan forum was embarrassing and was almost universally met with derision.

Shebby Singh...OH MY!!

Shebby was an absolute buffoon - not a nasty snake like many others at the club at the time, but detrimental to Rovers nonetheless. He made a nice amount off us though. £400k a year wasn't it? Good work if you can get it. At least he gave the Action Group some ammunition, not that it helped much in the end.  

I remember being acutely ashamed he had anything to do with the club I supported. If that's an example of good communication I dread to think what bad communication is.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I saw Shebby in numerous interviews and found him a likeable guy who genuinely wanted to do well for the club and fans. He looked  a bit goofy and there was a particularly toxic atmosphere around the club when he was here, which made things very hard for him. I don't see how someone could dislike the guy though. 

Not a matter of liking or disliking him. It's a matter of what he could bring to the club - which was 8 Portugesers, comments in poor taste about Pederson on crutches, more derision and sod all else.

4 minutes ago, den said:

Not a matter of liking or disliking him. It's a matter of what he could bring to the club - which was 8 Portugesers, comments in poor taste about Pederson on crutches, more derision and sod all else.

Well he was referred to as a "knob" above as well as other personal insults, so to those people it is a matter of like or disliking.

8? You sure it was that many? Well there were still vipers operating in or around the club at that point. He genuinely was trying to get them out 

47 minutes ago, DE. said:

Shebby was an absolute buffoon - not a nasty snake like many others at the club at the time, but detrimental to Rovers nonetheless. He made a nice amount off us though. £400k a year wasn't it? Good work if you can get it. At least he gave the Action Group some ammunition, not that it helped much in the end.  

I remember being acutely ashamed he had anything to do with the club I supported. If that's an example of good communication I dread to think what bad communication is.

Shebby had one task to get rid of the parasites. Mission accomplished and Kean went.

Best 400k we've spent for a long long time

Singh had a hand in seeing off Kean, Agnew and maybe caused JA and his boys some grief but did he see them off and crescendo ? He didn't see off Shaw either,  the Portugesers stuff was also suspect and the longer he was here I think he had his eye on his own aspirations.

We'd almost surely have seen Judan Ali through the door at some point as well.

Let's not try and rewrite history Shebby was another self serving goon on the gravy train.

48 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Shebby had one task to get rid of the parasites. Mission accomplished and Kean went.

Kean departure was a fortunate by-product of Singh tenure not the reason.

As well as the Portugese fiasco wasn't he after an Indian playing in the very very low French leagues to make a pro at Rovers?

I credit him with getting Rhodes, at a ridiculous cost but little else.

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Kean departure was a fortunate by-product of Singh tenure not the reason.

It has been suggested that Kean in a moment of drunkenness sent an E Mail to Madame, stating either Shebby went, or he would resign. Assuming that is correct, Shebby was the reason for him leaving.

1 minute ago, lraC said:

It has been suggested that Kean in a moment of drunkenness sent an E Mail to Madame, stating either Shebby went, or he would resign. Assuming that is correct, Shebby was the reason for him leaving.

Suggested...says it all really.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Suggested...says it all really.

I can't remember who posted it, but I am fairly certain it was a regular sensible poster. I am sure who did post it will confirm though.

Just now, lraC said:

I can't remember who posted it, but I am fairly certain it was a regular sensible poster. I am sure who did post it will confirm though.

My view is that Kean left at a time that suited him.

He'd made his money, knew the squad was decimated and in a false position near the top of the Championship. He tried to protect his CV.

Shebby was used for 'claim' reasons and more money to Kean.

I have no doubt though that Shebby considered himself to be the Boss at Ewood and maybe Kean's thick skin wasn't protection from that super ego.

I had known of Singh for years before he got to Ewood and in Asia he was considered a tv pundit clown.

He was also btw a bloody useless footballer in his day.

Kean knew the game was up for him in terms of his free reign and back being covered by his organ grinder and mates he'd helped into position. His every move was being watched on the ground here so his bull spewing speaking through the press to India was exposed.

He was very soon to be found out for the fraud clown he really was so I think he part engineered his exit.

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

It wasn't just a matter of £400k in my opinion. The players from Portugal (I can't remember the exact number but Den suggests eight) must have cost a fortune to sign, pay and ultimately pay off. The rumour was that Singh was cosy with the father of the agent representing these players. 

Did Singh ever claim credit for Kean's departure?

Genuine question as I cannot recall.

It's just that it would be odd for him to have kept his mouth shut.

Kean and Singh ruling at Ewood..........feckin hell, but at least now in the history bin.

10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Did Singh ever claim credit for Kean's departure?

Genuine question as I cannot recall.

It's just that it would be odd for him to have kept his mouth shut.

Kean and Singh ruling at Ewood..........feckin hell, but at least now in the history bin.

I can't recall him saying anything after Kean had gone, but he certainly made it clear that he was intending to get rid of him, when he did the meeting at King Georges Hall. I attended that and heard at first hand what his intentions were.

Just now, lraC said:

I can't recall him saying anything after Kean had gone, but he certainly made it clear that he was intending to get rid of him, when he did the meeting at King Georges Hall. I attended that and heard at first hand what his intentions were.

At KGH he said something about any manager losing three games in succession should be sacked.

Just now, arbitro said:

At KGH he said something about any manager losing three games in succession should be sacked.

That's right he did and I am pretty sure it was a veiled threat.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Shebby was 5 years ago

Some ppl like going over this time after time

It's a discussion Chaddy. If you don't like it don't read it or pass comment on those who want to discuss it.

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's a discussion Chaddy. If you don't like it don't read it or pass comment on those who want to discuss it.

So talking about Shebby and Kean is related to the thread title or the opening post. 

No its not. Its going over Shebby and his shambolic time here that was mess, costly and embarrassing for the club. 

Getting rid of Kean was good but appointment of Berg was wrong. Should have been Holloway job from day 1. He wanted it. Think he would have got us back to the PL within 18 months of his appointment. During Berg's reign I wont ever forget the 4-1 home defeat to Cardiff. Was awful

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So talking about Shebby and Kean is related to the thread title or the opening post. 

No its not. Its going over Shebby and his shambolic time here that was mess, costly and embarrassing for the club. 

Getting rid of Kean was good but appointment of Berg was wrong. Should have been Holloway job from day 1. He wanted it. Think he would have got us back to the PL within 18 months of his appointment. During Berg's reign I wont ever forget the 4-1 home defeat to Cardiff. Was awful

Given that it's about staff changes and they both "worked" for the club previously, it's hardly a big jump or divergence. Not sure the thread police are needed on this one!

Mind you for once we're in agreement a shambolic costly and embarrassing mess sums up Singh completely right. The Portugeezers and that interview alone were enough to put him down as another clown who should never have been anywhere near rovers. Hard to see how that makes him likeable...

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nearly every thread goes off topic so don't get uppity about this one. And your second and third paragraphs are off topic too and pretty much what you complained to me about.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Shebby was 5 years ago

Some ppl like going over this time after time

Turn that round:

'We won the PL 22 years ago.

Some ppl like going over this after time'

See how it looks when people whinge about what other people discuss? It's a Rovers forum, discussing Rovers stuff.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I saw Shebby in numerous interviews and found him a likeable guy who genuinely wanted to do well for the club and fans. He looked  a bit goofy and there was a particularly toxic atmosphere around the club when he was here, which made things very hard for him. I don't see how someone could dislike the guy though. 

Shebby walked into a s**tstorm putting it bluntly make no bones about that. The malaise had already manifested itself with SK & at that point the tide was already turning. As an additional factor (toxic atmosphere) which you have mentioned his card was well truelly marked. It's worth remembering somebody new walking thru the door these weren't exactly normal circumstances for anybody. It was a poisoned chalice from day 1 on a hiding to nothing.

23 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Shebby walked into a s**tstorm putting it bluntly make no bones about that. The malaise had already manifested itself with SK & at that point the tide was already turning. As an additional factor (toxic atmosphere) which you have mentioned his card was well truelly marked. It's worth remembering somebody new walking thru the door these weren't exactly normal circumstances for anybody. It was a poisoned chalice from day 1 on a hiding to nothing.

I would agree with all that. If Shebby had have joined at a point when we were going well, he would either not really have been noticed or would have been a cult hero. I always found him to speak well about the club and attempt to understand what the fans wanted. He came at a time when, as you say, fans were reeling from releagtion and so frustrated that Kean had somehow managed to keep his job. A few signings were made which looked decent on paper and I thought that if Kean was sacked early enough that season and we got a Mccarthy or Warnock in we could be in with a good shout of going back up. Unfortunately what Shebby over saw in terms of managerial appointments that season will be a huge blemish on his time here. Berg I believe came from listening to certain fans and going for a fan favourite who looked to have a decent managerial record to that point. Big mistake. Appleton made absolutely no sense although I'm not sure who his agent was. There was turmoil and frustration at the club at that time alright, but I believe it could have been fixed that year with some proper leadership 

Archived