BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's the lack of effort I find unforgivable. I'd have told the coach driver to set off without the lot of them and left them to find their own way home.

Yep,what happened to hitting the ground running?Players looking 'tired'?...wtf!

My God do we need a response against Donny to calm the nerves.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

What do you mean? There are 46 games in a season and we aren't going to play well in all of them...

Rovers are in serious decline so yes easy statement to make RV.

9 hours ago, cesus said:

It is so hard not to feel that any optimism has blown up in smoke after another abject perfomance that mirrored so many away performances like last season. The opposition goalkeeper barely made a save, we looked less fit than our opponents, we didn't look as hungry as our opponent, we didn't have the same heart as our opponents. Our players aren't world beaters, if they can't match the fitness, hunger or heart of the opponents I just can't believe we have the "ability" to see us to enough victories in this league for promotion, it is time to roll the sleeves up and get a few bloody noses!

It is so frustrating to watch players look so confused playing the formation that is being asked of them. It is even more frustrating that their first goal came from a set piece that Mowbray insists he drilled the players on in training as Southend have used it before, we are in this league now and its hard we have had our awakening now its time to damn wake up!

Hammer....Nail.....Head.

8 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

My God do we need a response against Donny to calm the nerves.

How many times have we said this over the past few seasons? How many times have we been assured this over the past few seasons by management and the players? We're the experts at failing to deliver on promises. Sick and tired of it.

Horrible start and result.

Been talking this morning to a friend who went and he couldn't believe just how bad we were.  Reckons we looked unfit, disorganised and totally lacked confidence and belief.  To be so far off the mark is a big concern and already raises questions about Mowbray. We need to start winning and fast.

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Horrible start and result.

Been talking this morning to a friend who went and he couldn't believe just how bad we were.  Reckons we looked unfit, disorganised and totally lacked confidence and belief.  To be so far off the mark is a big concern and already raises questions about Mowbray. We need to start winning and fast.

Does this mean we may not see the usual 3-1, 4-1 or 5-1 hiding prediction for Donny?

Just seen the goals, who was supposed to be marking the guy off the corner for their first goal? Never seen someone with so much space in the box from a corner....there'd even be outrage if that happened on a Sunday morning down the park.

There has been some serious debate on here this week, about how many games we should give Mowbray, before the pressure is cranked up. We are one game in and already we are worrying about this season delivering the promotion we need. I am hoping after ten games that we are in a healthy position, but if not I honestly don't see, sacking Mowbray and bringing anyone else in, giving us a better chance. The current predicament at this club, has been caused by the owners, end of and unless they go, I don't believe that this club will ever improve. The mess we are in now is unprecedented and we have one common denominator. No new players, have helped, no change of manager, has helped, no protesting has helped, no amount of backing and support has helped, no amount of debate on here, has helped.  Until we have owners, with the right intentions and a proper board in place, this club will continue to drop and yesterday, was more than a reality check, it was confirmation that Venkys are and always will be poison.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Does this mean we may not see 3, 4 or 5 goal to 1 predictions for Donny?

Let's first see what happens over the next few days.

I thought in Mowbray we had a decent manager who knows the game.  I also thought he'd made some decent signings for this level.

Despite the Carlisle debacle, I was very optimistic about the new season.  In hindsight, perhaps Carlisle was a marker as to where we really are as a football club.  We haven't just lost the two games, we've been spanked and but for Raya yesterday, we could have lost by a further two goals at least.

Unless there's a rapid improvement, Mowbray could be gone before the window closes.

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Does this mean we may not see the usual 3-1, 4-1 or 5-1 hiding predictions for Donny?

By about Thursday he'll be back to say Donny are going to get the 'backlash' from the Southend game and to 'expect' a comfortable win by '4 or 5 goals'.  It's reassuringly predictable.

Just now, Mercer said:

Let's first see what happens over the next few days.

I thought in Mowbray we had a decent manager who knows the game.  I also thought he'd made some decent signings for this level.

Despite the Carlisle debacle, I was very optimistic about the new season.  In hindsight, perhaps Carlisle was a marker as to where we really are as a football club.  We haven't just lost the two games, we've been spanked and but for Raya yesterday, we could have lost by a further two goals at least.

Unless there's a rapid improvement, Mowbray could be gone before the window closes.

No he couldn't.

Just now, MGPensioner said:

Could there have been a few players out there protesting at being refused transfers ?

Haven't they heard... protests are pointless and don't work :rover:

Maybe you could start a new thread and list what the protests have achieved. You could put them on that electronic scoreboard you keep posting?;)

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

No he couldn't.

If we bomb in the next few games like we did at Carlisle and Southend he will be gone.  His position would be untenable.

10 minutes ago, frosty said:

Just seen the goals, who was supposed to be marking the guy off the corner for their first goal? Never seen someone with so much space in the box from a corner....there'd even be outrage if that happened on a Sunday morning down the park.

What the clip doesn't show is how far Leonard actually ran. He must have come thirty yards to get on the end of the corner. Up until the last ten minutes we had EVERY player back in our own penalty area for every corner or set plays when the ball could be delivered into the box. Had we left one up and one in the midway area I'm convinced Leonard wouldn't have scored. 

Another thing that irked me yesterday was that Nyambe and Graham both wore long sleeved base layers on a warm and sunny day. If I was a Southend player it would have given me a lift to see this.

4 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

No Bowyer was solid to the point almost boring. Said it before but what's happened to our strikers surely can't be Coyles coaching? They could play 180 minutes including Graham and never score. 

Gaz might have been solid but his teams weren't midfield was outplayed every week it's was about the most annoying thing in his time and if he'd rooted out a couple of hard tacklers from somewhere I think his side might have gone places.

Brings us to the other point he had Rhodes lurking up front and getting the same flak Graham is now getting but I think just as JR if Graham gets the chances he'll score them although it's odd how his work rate seemed to disappear once he got a full time contract at Rovers. Trouble is now he's the automatic starting choice, no 1 striker as Jordan was so he may be taking it for granted a bit. That needs to change we need a good striker in on loan I'm fearful we've been sold another pup in Samuels although it's obviously early days but signs haven't been good where he is concerned I don't think.

11 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree with much of this.  Whoever thinks we will walk this League is living in dreamland.  Southend worked hard, had a team that knew what they were doing and in Kightly had the game's outstanding player.  Southend took the initiative right from the start and in many ways our 4-2-3-1 formation allowed them to do so.  We need to find a formation that suits the players and stick to it.  This is a tough, physical League and our players are going to have to up the tempo far more than they showed today.  On a different issue, I thought the referee was very poor - I just hope he is not representative of the standard at this level.  Hugely disappointing, but it's early days and these players need time to develop into a team but this is a massive wake up call for everyone - including the supporters.  League One is going to be far from easy.

Cant accept the league being "tough" as any kind of reason for struggling. If we're looking for "facts" - the standard of player in this league is far below the standard of player in a very poor championship. The quality of teams is also below the championship. The physicality of this league is no different than in any other league. Some folk seem to be trying to argue that this league is tougher than any other. It isn't. It's less so. 

19 minutes ago, den said:

Cant accept the league being "tough" as any kind of reason for struggling. If we're looking for "facts" - the standard of player in this league is far below the standard of player in a very poor championship. The quality of teams is also below the championship. The physicality of this league is no different than in any other league. Some folk seem to be trying to argue that this league is tougher than any other. It isn't. It's less so. 

It's just that, people expect us to play consistently well for a full season. When was the last time that happened? It certainly wasn't with this current bunch. Let's be honest, we have a lot of average journey men. If they aren't prepared to even fight for the Jersey and play with heart, we are in for a long, hard season 

The loans that will be brought in need to be quality and give this current bunch a jump start. We also need a couple of battlers who have experience in the league. Dack and Samuel's are all well and good, but it's easier to be good in your first season, than to consistently keep it up when the opposition knows about you 

Wish we had the league next and not this stupid cup 

13 minutes ago, den said:

Believe me the tackles that flew in yesterday were pretty tough and the referee seemed far more lenient than in the Championship - and standards in that League are pretty poor.  This is a different type of football and attitude is going to be just as important as skill.  Yesterday, Southend looked far more in-tune to what is required than many of our players.  Every League is tough and to win it or win promotion you need to be consistent and above all physically and mentally tough.  Yesterday, I felt we looked physically and mentally weak compared to Southend.  It was almost as if the whole thing had come as a shock to many of the players.  Early days, but we need to improve dramatically if we are to be challenging for promotion.  No team is going to just roll over for us because we were once Premier League Champions.  Every point is going to have to be earned the hard way.

12 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Believe me the tackles that flew in yesterday were pretty tough and the referee seemed far more lenient than in the Championship - and standards in that League are pretty poor.  This is a different type of football and attitude is going to be just as important as skill.  Yesterday, Southend looked far more in-tune to what is required than many of our players.  Every League is tough and to win it or win promotion you need to be consistent and above all physically and mentally tough.  Yesterday, I felt we looked physically and mentally weak compared to Southend.  It was almost as if the whole thing had come as a shock to many of the players.  Early days, but we need to improve dramatically if we are to be challenging for promotion.  No team is going to just roll over for us because we were once Premier League Champions.  Every point is going to have to be earned the hard way.

I'm not really disagreeing with that Parson, - just that "this league being tough" shouldn't even come into it. It isn't tougher than the two leagues above this one, that's for sure. 

If we're losing games it's down to the players not being good enough. 

A good few players in our starting line up plus the manager and his coach have experience of this league so it shouldn't have come as much of a shock to the team as a whole really.  Very worrying after all the bluster they looked ready to roll over at the first team to not let them play their own game.

Like last season a lot of fans are angry at the performance rather than the final result.

11 minutes ago, den said:

I'm not really disagreeing with that Parson, - just that "this league being tough" shouldn't even come into it. It isn't tougher than the two leagues above this one, that's for sure. 

If we're losing games it's down to the players not being good enough. 

Agree den, it's down to players and at the moment they seem to have believed all this nonsense about how they would walk this League.  Wasn't it Souness, when he was here, who said that during the first sixty minutes of a game you fight for the right to play your football over the last part of the game? Yesterday we seemed to have given up that fight after twenty minutes.

33 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Spot on it's a completely different mentality the players are scrapping to get to the top parts almost resemble the Pendle charity league & Craven. Everything is completely different until you've seen the elbows going in ect ref hardly interested you get pampered higher up leagues. I've watched alot of football different divisions.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

A good few players in our starting line up plus the manager and his coach have experience of this league so it shouldn't have come as much of a shock to the team as a whole really.  Very worrying after all the bluster they looked ready to roll over at the first team to not let them play their own game.

Like last season a lot of fans are angry at the performance rather than the final result.

I'd tend to agree here, we should have been better prepared mentally, physically and tactically.

Mentally - there was no fight in anyone on the field

Physically - we were never first to the ball and were constantly closed down

Tactically - we set out to control play and failed to adapt instead poorly playing long ball

It is very early days and these things do take time but after a 10+ hour round trip in a @#/? ground with no beer it is difficult to be enthusiastic. 

Archived