BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] team for rotherham

Just now, K-Hod said:

It comes back to exactly what I was saying about making the other team worry about us instead of us worrying about them.

So frustrating.

Correct.  Whilst there can't be complacency they still should be champing at the bit knowing that if we are on our game for the full 90+ mins more often than not we'll be ok. You won't force the issue on the pitch unless you go out to try.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think he builds them up too much there to be honest. My concern is him explaining their tactics like it is a cert that they will play that way.  If I was their manager reading that I would definitely come and surprise us...

'2nd highest scorers in the country'

'very fast mobile attackers'

He's bigging them up alright. His comments about how we will nullify them are weird. He needs to win matches, not talk like he's playing football manager with a mate. He'll make a good pundit one day.

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

'2nd highest scorers in the country'

'very fast mobile attackers'

He's bigging them up alright. His comments about how we will nullify them are weird. He needs to win matches, not talk like he's playing football manager with a mate. He'll make a good pundit one day.

Well the first point is a fact, they are the second highest scorers in the country. I don't see how you can knock him for saying that? 

The second part, meh. Perhaps bigging them up a bit, but I think it is standard enough manager talk before  a game. I am sure Southend and Doncaster were bigging us up before their games against us, for what little good it did us. 

26 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

After listening to this (and assuming Bennett is going to be rested), I think he'll play something like this:

Raya

Caddis   Ward   Mulgrew   Williams

Smallwood

Whittingham   Evans

Chapman                            Dack

Samuel

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well the first point is a fact, they are the second highest scorers in the country. I don't see how you can knock him for saying that? 

The second part, meh. Perhaps bigging them up a bit, but I think it is standard enough manager talk before  a game. I am sure Southend and Doncaster were bigging us up before their games against us, for what little good it did us. 

Because, as the article points out, they have only scored 2 of those 20 goals away from home.

Just now, RV Blue said:

After listening to this (and assuming Bennett is going to be rested), I think he'll play something like this:

Raya

Caddis   Ward   Mulgrew   Williams

Smallwood

Whittingham   Evans

Chapman                            Dack

Samuel

If that is the case I'd be inclined to see Dack and Whittingham swap positions. Whittingham started out as a winger and he should know the score out there. Plus his lack of physicality won't be shown up the same as in central midfield.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If that is the case I'd be inclined to see Dack and Whittingham swap positions. Whittingham started out as a winger and he should know the score out there. Plus his lack of physicality won't be shown up the same as in central midfield.

I think Dack would probably be shown up more as a deep lying center midfielder. You could swap Smallwood for Whittingham and then push Whittingham up to play on the wing alright , which would allow Dack to play more centrally. I'm not sure how Whittingham would get on playing the wing, particularly against a quick full-back, but it could be worth a go alright I think...

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So what? They still scored them, they are still the second highest scorers in the country.  Which is what Mowbray said 

Yes, they've only scored 2 away from home. And won 1. That's their record. It's poor. Maybe Mowbray should have said that instead because it's true. Home and away form are totally different as our own results show.

I think Dack would probably be shown up more as a deep lying center midfielder. You could swap Smallwood for Whittingham and then push Whittingham up to play on the wing alright , which would allow Dack to play more centrally. I'm not sure how Whittingham would get on playing the wing, particularly against a quick full-back, but it could be worth a go alright I think...

Yeah you could do that, especially in a home game. A clever winger can get the ball into danger areas without actually getting completely past his full back. Half a stride in front of the fullback and then get the ball in quickly.

Rotherham play 4-4-2 formation. 

We need to be defensively good but need to play our creative players from the start like Chapman and Dack. 

Antonsson came on Saturday and played wide left and causes problems. So I start him there. 

We have to start on the front foot from the start

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah you could do that, especially in a home game. A clever winger can get the ball into danger areas without actually getting completely past his full back. Half a stride in front of the fullback and then get the ball in quickly.

Ya or drop deeper and put the ball in at an angle. Can Samuel or Graham win those type of balls though I wonder. 

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yes, they've only scored 2 away from home. And won 1. That's their record. It's poor. Maybe Mowbray should have said that instead because it's true. Home and away form are totally different as our own results show.

Ya I suppose he could have pointed to their poor away record. Although if he did and they won, people would say why did he fire them up by making those comments ;) 

No need for mass changes from the start just tweaks to freshen up, maybe Dack where he should be and someone who doesn't need to stop the ball all the time and cut in on the left, get some flow in the attacks.

Make changes earlier in 2nd half if needed not leave till we are desperate.

Every manager gives interviews. If he refused people would say that he is unprofessional and/or is cracking under the pressure 

Who said he shouldn't give interviews? You can give interviews and give absolutely nothing away. And how do you know these answers were given to specific questions? Mowbray just seems to waffle on giving his tactics away. You said so yourself an hour ago.. ;)

2nd highest scorers in the country or not, we simply have to be playing a positive line-up and formation. We're the home side and surely we have aspirations for climbing up the table. Go for the throat. 

Mind you...given the games against Southend, Doncaster, and Wimbledon you have to wonder if we're capable of that? Nah. No excuses. Put the attackers on from the star and ask questions of a team, that as blueboy pointed out, have a fairly shoddy away record.

We're at home, so we will have the 'home' team please, regardless of opposition, Mr Mowbray:

Raya

Caddis Downing Mulgrew Williams

Whittingham Smallwood

Chapman Dack Bennett

Samuel

Ward dropped due to poor form. Caddis, Williams and Samuel on last chance saloon. Bennett in because we're being innovative and playing positions in their correct positions - no Dack on the wing or Antonsson either thank you.

5 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

2nd highest scorers in the country or not, we simply have to be playing a positive line-up and formation. We're the home side and surely we have aspirations for climbing up the table. Go for the throat. 

Mind you...given the games against Southend, Doncaster, and Wimbledon you have to wonder if we're capable of that? Nah. No excuses. Put the attackers on from the star and ask questions of a team, that as blueboy pointed out, have a fairly shoddy away record.

The slow pace and dawdling on the ball passing across the back line and midfield contributed to those home defeats as much as anything else. Players trying to think what to do and caught in two minds probably under instruction to keep the ball deep and draw on the opposition.  Surely we are strong enough at home to press a bit more, need to just up the tempo a bit and zip the ball about rather than stroke it and invite pressure and mistakes.

We need an early goal, then a few more will follow.  Go out from the start all guns blazing FFS, get Chapman running at their defence before they know what's hit them.

Start sluggish again and we're in for a long evening and lots of moans and groans from the crowd.

Too many late goals being replied upon, and definitely too many second half.  Whilst it's not unusual for some teams to have high percentages scored later on, its usually teams a lot better than ours with a more focussed gameplan, not a mad scramble every game.

Capture.JPG

Archived