BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v Portsmouth

was thoroughly drenched but good game to watch.

Raya had an excellent save to make. Williams still gives me the jitters and Nyambe did quite well. When he supported the attack, seems to have a bit about him. Downing should play ahead of Ward if he's fit. His passing is so much better and found its mark more often than not, looks class but still not a hurly burly CB for League 1. 

In midfield, I thought Wittingham played well this time round. Even had a couple (?) shots that went close? Was it him that made a long range shot that crashed on the bar vs Oldham? Upfront, Dack and Graham looked a good pair. Thought Dack was out of sorts for the start of the match though. Samuel's sending off should now allow a youngster onto the bench. Nuttall, Travis?

Getting nervy thinking about Wigan though.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only just seen the highlights and have to say the final goal was a cracking finish under the circumstances, and would never have been scored hadn't the pitch been almost flooded, good effort to carry the ball so far under control, well sort of control!

Been a long time since I can recall a match at Ewood played with the pitch being so waterlogged, not surprised people worried about it being called off.

The ball was played long diagonally down the left and Samuel set off to chase it. Their defender ran in front of Samuel. Samuel could beat him for speed so he blocked Samuel two or three times. This was obstruction if not foul play but the incompetent referee, as usual these days, did nothing.

Samuel lost his patience and kicked the defender up the jaxi. He shouldn't have done that but these refs make my blood boil. Why can they not apply the laws of the game consistently.

In the first 15 minutes there was a foul which to me was a bookable offence. No card. Had that foul occurred in the final 15 minutes yellow would have been produced. No consistency with refs.

How come the laws of the game seem to be different in League 1 compared to the Premier League?

2 hours ago, bazza said:

The ball was played long diagonally down the left and Samuel set off to chase it. Their defender ran in front of Samuel. Samuel could beat him for speed so he blocked Samuel two or three times. This was obstruction if not foul play but the incompetent referee, as usual these days, did nothing.

Samuel lost his patience and kicked the defender up the jaxi. He shouldn't have done that but these refs make my blood boil. Why can they not apply the laws of the game consistently.

In the first 15 minutes there was a foul which to me was a bookable offence. No card. Had that foul occurred in the final 15 minutes yellow would have been produced. No consistency with refs.

How come the laws of the game seem to be different in League 1 compared to the Premier League?

Yes, the ref should have blown for a foul way before Samuel kicked out. Silly from Samuel but absolutely awful from the referee.

• J*B unpinned this topic
11 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Yes, the ref should have blown for a foul way before Samuel kicked out. Silly from Samuel but absolutely awful from the referee.

Couldn't disagree more about the referee looks like Samuel is a liability easy to wind up bit of a soft lad for Tony's main striker. Message has to be to all league one defenders go out and upset Samuel as he clearly can't take it which has to be a bit of worry for Rovers in the months ahead.

8 minutes ago, JAL said:

Couldn't disagree more about the referee looks like Samuel is a liability easy to wind up bit of a soft lad for Tony's main striker. Message has to be to all league one defenders go out and upset Samuel as he clearly can't take it which has to be a bit of worry for Rovers in the months ahead.

It was a foul every day of the week.

13 minutes ago, JAL said:

Samuel seems like a great talent, if a little raw. I think he's been a good player for Rovers but going through a dry spell right now. He could have had 2/3 against Rotherham and that could very well have set him back on the streak of confidence we saw early on in the season.

He's by no means a liability. Players make silly mistakes all the time. He's obviously desperate for a goal, saw his chance and when it was taken away from him wrongly he reacted petulantly. It's a mistake he will learn from.

Definitely not a soft lad either. He holds the ball up well, is good at bringing it down from the air and doesn't let defenders bully him. I can easily see him getting into double figures this year and I'll be impressed with that if the midfield keep contributing to goals like they are doing at the moment.

23 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

It was a foul every day of the week.

It was clearly a foul and the defender knew Samuel could do him for pace as his goalkeeper rallied and the ball held up in the surface water. The referee has just been promoted to the Select Group One who predominantly officiate in the Premier League. These referees tend to treat League One and Two games with some disdain believing they are better than an appointment at League One Blackburn against Porstmouth. I am sure if this was a PL game we would have seen several more cautions and the referee giving us a free kick before the act of stupidity from Samuel.

On 10/23/2017 at 07:11, davulsukur said:

Shame about Samuel kicking out. Although the highlights just show the Pompey player rolling into camera view so I’m not sure how as it actually was.

It was terrible. Red card fully deserved. Worth a fine, unacceptable discipline.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Samuel seems like a great talent, if a little raw. I think he's been a good player for Rovers but going through a dry spell right now. He could have had 2/3 against Rotherham and that could very well have set him back on the streak of confidence we saw early on in the season.

He's by no means a liability. Players make silly mistakes all the time. He's obviously desperate for a goal, saw his chance and when it was taken away from him wrongly he reacted petulantly. It's a mistake he will learn from.

Definitely not a soft lad either. He holds the ball up well, is good at bringing it down from the air and doesn't let defenders bully him. I can easily see him getting into double figures this year and I'll be impressed with that if the midfield keep contributing to goals like they are doing at the moment.

He's a soft lad and a liability I'm my book dreams if he's going booting opponents when he doesn't get his own way withdrawing himself from the pitch, teammates and the action.

Now he's opened himself up to being booted around the park next time round from the Leagues central defender's.

Does he bring his mum with him to games ?

Just now, BenRTID said:

It was terrible. Red card fully deserved. Worth a fine, unacceptable discipline.

And even if the ref had a blown for a Rovers free-kick, Samuel would have still kicked out as he did it immediately and did not wait a whistle from the ref...

So should have been a Rovers free-kick?        Yes
Possibly a booking for them?    Yes

But 100% a deserved red card. 

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

It was clearly a foul and the defender knew Samuel could do him for pace as his goalkeeper rallied and the ball held up in the surface water. The referee has just been promoted to the Select Group One who predominantly officiate in the Premier League. These referees tend to treat League One and Two games with some disdain believing they are better than an appointment at League One Blackburn against Porstmouth. I am sure if this was a PL game we would have seen several more cautions and the referee giving us a free kick before the act of stupidity from Samuel.

The conditions were rapidly deteriorating by the minute on Saturday with this on the evidence of saturdays game thought the referee applied some very sensible refereeing managing to bring it to its conclusion when there was a possibility of it being abandoned.

League one is totally different to the Premier league as there are far more mistakes made at this level this is what we pay for now unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, JAL said:

He's a soft lad and a liability I'm my book dreams if he's going booting opponents when he doesn't get his own way withdrawing himself from the pitch, teammates and the action.

Now he's opened himself up to being booted around the park next time round from the Leagues central defender's.

Does he bring his mum with him to games ?

I don't think it's fair to call him a liability after one red card, JAL. I don't know his disciplinary record for other teams but I'm certain he isn't known for his bad temper. It is his first sign of it in Rovers shirt that's for sure. If this was a repeated mistake then you could go on record and say he is a liability. One lash out by a young lad desperate to impress doesn't make him so in my opinion.

You are right in saying he's opened himself up to the wind up merchants of this league. It's in his hands now and he has to make sure he keeps his head and lets his football do the talking. He certainly has the ability to tie some of these centre backs in ribbons, let's hope he doesn't feel the need to lash out every time a referee fails to see a blatant foul

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think it's fair to call him a liability after one red card, JAL. I don't know his disciplinary record for other teams but I'm certain he isn't known for his bad temper. It is his first sign of it in Rovers shirt that's for sure. If this was a repeated mistake then you could go on record and say he is a liability. One lash out by a young lad desperate to impress doesn't make him so in my opinion.

You are right in saying he's opened himself up to the wind up merchants of this league. It's in his hands now and he has to make sure he keeps his head and lets his football do the talking. He certainly has the ability to tie some of these centre backs in ribbons, let's hope he doesn't feel the need to lash out every time a referee fails to see a blatant foul

This is league one where many of the referees are going to be part time so he has to develop the body combat aspect of his game to his advantage and not Rovers disadvantage.

21 minutes ago, JAL said:

The conditions were rapidly deteriorating by the minute on Saturday with this on the evidence of saturdays game thought the referee applied some very sensible refereeing managing to bring it to its conclusion when there was a possibility of it being abandoned.

League one is totally different to the Premier league as there are far more mistakes made at this level this is what we pay for now unfortunately. 

I never for one minute considered an abandonment particularly with a 2-0 scoreline when the pitch was noticeably deteriorating. I'm not sure of the refereebeing sensible when he could have prevented a red card. We used to call it preventative refereeing in my day and an observer and the club's would encourage this. Whilst Samuel deserved his red card the referee didn't cover himself in glory and could have read the situation better.

23 minutes ago, JAL said:

This is league one where many of the referees are going to be part time so he has to develop the body combat aspect of his game to his advantage and not Rovers disadvantage.

The laws of the game are the same John.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm not sure of the refereebeing sensible when he could have prevented a red card. We used to call it preventative refereeing in my day and an observer and the club's would encourage this. Whilst Samuel deserved his red card the referee didn't cover himself in glory and could have read the situation better.

Preventative should be on the training pitch where this kind of violent petulant behaviour is coached out of players.

Is Samuel getting paid .......not to play now ?

38 minutes ago, JAL said:

Preventative should be on the training pitch where this kind of violent petulant behaviour is coached out of players.

Get off it. Players will always get sent off. Ya ,he was stupid,but at least it shows he has some fight in him. 

Would you have coached it out of Roy Keane?

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Have you ever nipped an incident in the bud on the pitch before it escalated? If you have I'm sure you would have been praised for preventative refereeing. There is no defence of Samuel whatsoever but the referee should look at his role in that and ask himself if he could have done better. If he has an ounce of honesty the answer should be a resounding yes.

I'm certain that Kavanagh would have approached the game differently had it been a PL match. I have seen so many games where a SG referee is appointed to a FL game and thinks it is beneath him.

I don't know if he is being paid but Mowbray said he would be fined.

The pitch conditions were very poor and the referee allowed for this in mis-timed tackles etc.

But blatant obstruction (the ball was a good 10 metres away from the defender so he wasn't "on the ball") should have been punished. 

Archived