BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

6 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

He’a bang average without a world-class Barca team around him. He’s proved that time and time again for country. Put him at Crystal Palace and he’d do absolutely nothing. I even think that if you put him at Man City, and I still think he’d struggle because of how he’s built. 

There's nothing bang average about Lionel Messi and Barca certainly aren't world class atm. "Put him at Crystal Palace" is like when people try and diminish Pep's achievements by saying something like "he couldn't do as well as Dyche at Burnley". We'll never know because the best players and managers are at the best clubs. I have no doubt that Messi would score a hatful against the powerhouses of Huddersfield, Watford and Bournemouth.

Just now, roverandout said:

The premier league defences are alot better than la liga..how many strikers have struggled to score in england, gone to spain and bagged loads of goals..la liga is obviously technically superior to the epl but defenders arent the best..anyway didnt messi struggle to scors against english clubs for a long time?

I don't watch enough La Liga to know about the teams in there (and I doubt you do either?). There probably have been players that have scored more in Spain than England but there are cases where players have thrived more in England. Salah scored 15 in each of his two full seasons in Italy, he's just come over here and bagged 32. It can happen, depends on a lot of different circumstances. And Messi didn't score against Chelsea for a while but regularly did v Arsenal and United. 

• Like 1

Just now, Husky said:

I think this VAR thing should work in a similar way to cricket. Give each team 2 reviews. ?

That Denmark goal looked a bit touch and go . . . .Some might even say clear and obvious.?

This is not a bad idea. I think it should work as it is plus the team captain gets to question 1 decision each match because some things are missed by the ref and doesnt get looked at by the var.

Just now, Blow-in said:

Lol the old how would he do on a rainy night at stoke. Guess thats why you've won so many of the last few world cups.

What has the quality of the Premier League, with the amount of non-British players plying their trade,got to do with the quality of the English National team?  We're talking about the merits of the two leagues yet you put the England jibe in there.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Just now, frosty said:

There's nothing bang average about Lionel Messi and Barca certainly aren't world class atm. "Put him at Crystal Palace" is like when people try and diminish Pep's achievements by saying something like "he couldn't do as well as Dyche at Burnley". We'll never know because the best players and managers are at the best clubs. I have no doubt that Messi would score a hatful against the powerhouses of Huddersfield, Watford and Bournemouth.

I don't watch enough La Liga to know about the teams in there (and I doubt you do either?). There probably have been players that have scored more in Spain than England but there are cases where players have thrived more in England. Salah scored 15 in each of his two full seasons in Italy, he's just come over here and bagged 32. It can happen, depends on a lot of different circumstances. And Messi didn't score against Chelsea for a while but regularly did v Arsenal and United. 

No he didnt..it took him a number of games to score against english clubs..his first was against utd in the cham league final but a big deal was made of it at the time that it took him a number of games to do that

2 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Lol the old how would he do on a rainy night at stoke. Guess thats why you've won so many of the last few world cups.

Lets be realistic most of the top 4 or 5 spanish league teams would still be challenging for the champions league positions in the prremier league as well.

Blow off

Just now, Hasta said:

What has the quality of the Premier League, with the amount of non-British players plying their trade,got to do with the quality of the English National team?  We're talking about the merits of the two leagues yet you put the England jibe in there.

Another bitter fan from a staying-at-home country.

The premier league is inextricably linked with English football. Its the most competitive league but not the best.

I think Messi feels the pressure of having a nations expectations on his shoulders and struggles with it. Ronaldo is always playing for himself so is immune to pressure which is why is is a machine and why id want him taking my penalties.

Also regardless of if we were staying at home or there at the world cup id still be bitter ?

• Like 1

Just now, Blow-in said:

This is not a bad idea. I think it should work as it is plus the team captain gets to question 1 decision each match because some things are missed by the ref and doesnt get looked at by the var.

Most of the time it's only really the players that know - re diving etc. so let them request to review things. It would be interesting to see if Greizmann would have asked to review today's penalty incident.

And as you said loads of things get missed . . . including off the ball incidents . . .so, bring it on. The WC has only just started and VARCat has been very hit and miss so far.

VARCAT.jpg

Just now, Husky said:

Most of the time it's only really the players that know - re diving etc. so let them request to review things. It would be interesting to see if Greizmann would have asked to review today's penalty incident.

And as you said loads of things get missed . . . including off the ball incidents . . .so, bring it on. The WC has only just started and VARCat has been very hit and miss so far.

VARCAT.jpg

Yeah i suspect if he only had one review he would have saved it for more of a sure thing.

Just now, roverandout said:

No he didnt..it took him a number of games to score against english clubs..his first was against utd in the cham league final but a big deal was made of it at the time that it took him a number of games to do that

I took Messi until the ancient age of 21 to score against an English club and when he did it was only in a Champions League Final,  terrible that he clearly peaked late.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, Blow-in said:

The premier league is inextricably linked with English football. Its the most competitive league but not the best.

I think Messi feels the pressure of having a nations expectations on his shoulders and struggles with it. Ronaldo is always playing for himself so is immune to pressure which is why is is a machine and why id want him taking my penalties.

Also regardless of if we were staying at home or there at the world cup id still be bitter ?

I removed my last line as when I reread it came across as a bit nasty but you quoted me before I edited. Sorry ?

I dared to say on Twitter that Argentina looked shaky at the back and I got a load of stick saying why do you think England will be better, blah blah blah,. Almost as though an England fan can't comment on other teams now!

Just now, Hasta said:

I removed my last line as when I reread it came across as a bit nasty but you quoted me before I edited. Sorry ?

I dared to say on Twitter that Argentina looked shaky at the back and I got a load of stick saying why do you think England will be better, blah blah blah,. Almost as though an England fan can't comment on other teams now!

We're all big boys on here you didn't need to edit it. Anyome who doesnt think the Argentina def is shaky needs get glasses.  

• Backroom

Denmark were very poor. Peru fantastic in all areas except putting the ball in the net, which unfortunately for them is the most important thing. They could have played until this time tomorrow and not scored.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Denmark were very poor. Peru fantastic in all areas except putting the ball in the net, which unfortunately for them is the most important thing. They could have played until this time tomorrow and not scored.

If they'd have gone round the keeper they would still have turned back on themselves and squared it.

• Like 4

Schmeichel was in their for the Danes, goalkeeping counts for something, in those last 15 minutes or so, you almost knew Peru weren't going to score ... and I picked Peru,  2-1.... so I was for them and they messed that PK up.

I was watching the Copa America or some tournament a few years ago and those South American teams had problems with penalties in this shootout but that's no big deal, we know a lot of teams have that problem.

58 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I fancy Nigeria as the surprise team of this tournament. Iwobi to be the star man tonight. 

Croatia is often good in these tournaments, Nigeria has been my adopted African team for some time, but I don't see them doing it today. Sub-Saharan Africa still can't turn the corner on the big time. Good luck to them and they did fairly well in the last World Cup.

Nigeria got out of the group stage last time, in the same group as Argentina, Iran and Bosnia, in fact, Croatia didn't get out of their group and Croatia had that tough time in the 2016 Euro vs. Portugal, so I think Croatia really wants to get this win.

Edited by Audax

Man, it's always so hard on the African team, it hurts to see that.....

Croatia got a bad deal with Brazil in 2014 and there was something about their Portugal match in 2016, so, two straight tournaments, they've gotten bad deals... so, they are trying to redeem themselves...

• Backroom
1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I fancy Nigeria as the surprise team of this tournament. Iwobi to be the star man tonight. 

Maybe not! Nigeria played the first half like they were collectively stoned. Second half slightly better but still poor considering some of the players they have in that team. 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Messi has just done the exact opposite of his La Liga antagonist from last night. Missed a pen and then fluffed a free kick at the death.

I do think that Ronaldo is a true pro who works exceptionally hard and feels he has earned the plaudits, relishing the pressure that success brings, and believing he will succeed, whereas Messi is a supremely naturally gifted footballer who looks uncomfortable when the pressure and spotlight is on him. Could he carry Argentina in the way Ronaldo carries Portugal? I doubt it. Totally different psyche.

5 hours ago, scotchrover said:

I think it ultimately shows that Ronaldo is a far better player than Messi.

I also think it highlights how poor La Liga is. Yes Ronaldo is playing there currently, but he’s performed it in the Premier League too.  

Find these 2 comments incredible, not sure if they are reactions to their respective performances in the last 2 days, but they are crazy. Far better player? Theres no way that anyone could argue that either is "a far better player." And doubts that Messi is able to handle the pressure?!  The awards hes won, the trophies hes won, the important goals hes scored, how can you question that?

Neither of them have naturally replicated their club form amongst national teams that otherwise are far inferior to other teams. Ronaldo won the Euros, Messi has got to quite a few finals including the last World Cup in which he got player of the tournament.

Its a flip of a coin decision whose better, personal preference, I prefer Messi but certainly would never argue that theres anything but a minimal difference.

4 hours ago, frosty said:

Let's not pretend Messi wouldn't tear the Premier League a new one. He's scored loads of goals v United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc in the Champions League (a goal a game on average v English teams I think, and them being the top PL teams), won games on his own v other top foreign teams like Bayern, PSG. Does he need to score against the poor teams from 7th down in the Premier League to prove himself? 

No idea what Argentina are playing at though. Dybala and Higuain stuck on the bench, Icardi at home. Crazy.

Quite right. People also seem ignorant to the fact that Ronaldo was a work in progress in England, moving from winger to goalscorer, only got 20 goals or over once I think, and stepped up a couple of levels to one of the all time greats once he moved to La Liga. So I dont understand the obsession about Messi being able to do it in England, when Ronaldos career in this country has been greatly surpassed since he moved to La Liga.

• Like 2