BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Tuesday Rovers just need to win it is as simple as that. There is no point wondering what if? Let’s just take it 1 step at a time.

i am not fussed about winning the cup it’s promotion that matters.

I think Rovers can be more relaxed away from home, away support is great and there will be 1200 or so there at gillingham.

if anything I believe Rochdale can do both us and themselves a huge favour by beating wigon

this week us pivotal

46 minutes ago, philipl said:

My forecast is we have one or two horror defeats waiting for us plus a scraped draw in the run in.

Can’t see it. We’ve lost, what, one in 28 or 29? Can’t see us suddenly going onto lose a couple.

Shrews still losing with 5 left. Hammerblow for their confidence if they do lose this.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Can’t see it. We’ve lost, what, one in 28 or 29? Can’t see us suddenly going onto lose a couple.

Shrews still losing with 5 left. Hammerblow for their confidence if they do lose this.

Along with their injuries and suspensions it will be very hard to come back from 

• Backroom

I know it's been said at various points this season, but I think that could be it for Shrewsbury. Losing to a team in the league below in a cup final, not even able to score once against them, will be a brutal blow to their confidence. If they bounce back from this Hurst really does have something good going on there. 

Shrewsbury are where they are because all season they've responded to their setbacks with positive results, never having 2-3 slips in a row. Whatever the impact of today it won't be clear until Thursday night at Bradford. Sooner or later the Bantams have to end their horrible run.

Just now, JHRover said:

Shrewsbury are where they are because all season they've responded to their setbacks with positive results, never having 2-3 slips in a row. Whatever the impact of today it won't be clear until Thursday night at Bradford. Sooner or later the Bantams have to end their horrible run.

Bradford's place was a fortress until we won there earlier in the season. Hopefully they get back to that Thursday. If we win Tuesday and Bradford pull off a win, we have 1 leg in the championship. 

Shrews should have been playing against 10 for most of that game.

Not usually in favour of early red cards but Rhead's assault on Henderson was a straight red and would have been all the time I have watched football.

Ref allowed occasion to overcome the rules.

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Losing in the league is one thing, but losing a cup final to a L2 team whilst watching us and Wigan pull further and further away, as injuries pile up... this is their biggest test to date imo. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bradford's place was a fortress until we won there earlier in the season. Hopefully they get back to that Thursday. If we win Tuesday and Bradford pull off a win, we have 1 leg in the championship. 

Bradford players have downed 'boots', worsened since Grayston public berated them on Sky after our game.

I will be amazed if they get even a draw.

Rochdale however at home to Wigan could be interesting.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Shrews should have been playing against 10 for most of that game.

Not usually in favour of early red cards but Rhead's assault on Henderson was a straight red and would have been all the time I have watched football.

Ref allowed occassion to overcome the rules.

Rightly described by Don Goodman as a forearm smash. Nailed on red card and then I saw Elneny of Arsenal sent off for gently pushing a Southampton player in the face.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Bradford players have downed 'boots', worsened since Grayston public berated them on Sky after our game.

I will be amazed if they get even a draw.

Rochdale however at home to Wigan could be interesting.

Ya, it looks like it. Hopefully being at home may make them play with some pride. Shrewsbury are wounded now too, so if Bradford start well, who knows 

If Rochdale get something from that, it would be wonderful. Of the teams down there, they seem one of the most capable of getting a result 

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Losing in the league is one thing, but losing a cup final to a L2 team whilst watching us and Wigan pull further and further away, as injuries pile up... this is their biggest test to date imo. 

I think the whole injuries/suspension thing is a bit of a fallacy - probably coined by their fans in an attempt to turn the heat off their team. Ogogo is out for the season, but apart from that I think they’re pretty much at full health with Nsiala somehow back from a fractured cheekbone already.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Rightly described by Don Goodman as a forearm smash. Nailed on red card and then I saw Elneny of Arsenal sent off for gently pushing a Southampton player in the face.

Aye, Rhead had a bit of a Les Kellett about him.

28 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I think the whole injuries/suspension thing is a bit of a fallacy - probably coined by their fans in an attempt to turn the heat off their team. Ogogo is out for the season, but apart from that I think they’re pretty much at full health with Nsiala somehow back from a fractured cheekbone already.

When you look at Shrewsbury's run with injuries compared to ours this season they've had a good run with it. We've had big players in Lenihan, Antonsson, Chapman, Nyambe and Evans all missing large chunks of the season through injury, along with numerous others on shorter absences. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Problem is for them now with 6 games left the chances are they need to win all 6 to get up and even then they need favours.

Big ask for either of us to be faultless from here 

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

When you look at Shrewsbury's run with injuries compared to ours this season they've had a good run with it. We've had big players in Lenihan, Antonsson, Chapman, Nyambe and Evans all missing large chunks of the season through injury, along with numerous others on shorter absences. 

Yep. I took a peek on their forum and one or two pointed the rest right that they’ve actually been quite fortunate with injuries this season. If we’d had Lenihan and Chapman for the whole season then we’d probably be home and dry.

Its well within our hands and if I'd have been offered this position in August or especially November I'd have grabbed it. I'd like to be in Stanley's position of being on 84 points and home and dry as far as automatic promotion is concerned, but better our position than 22 other clubs with only arguably Wigan in a better position although not by much either way.

14 points from 18 is the maximum required. Surely Shrewsbury will drop points in there though bringing that total down a few. Gillingham seem to have dipped since we should have played them.

We've got to play with more "bottle" than we did against Southend in the remaining matches.

If we go for the jugular early on and keep attacking (this is the best type of defence), we will be home and dry.

Mowbray should show the whole game of the League Cup Final of 2002 to his squad of players. That would show them how to keep on attacking to the end when winning 2-1.

Archived