BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Backroom

The Championship isn’t that great, think we’d Be somewhere between the playoffs and mid table this season with the squad we have 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, USABlue said:

That's how I feel too.

On 08/04/2018 at 16:03, philipl said:

My forecast is we have one or two horror defeats waiting for us plus a scraped draw in the run in.

We have fantastic resilience but some day soon its not going to be enough for us. We have vulnerabilities and at least one opponent will roll the lucky dice and convert our weaknesses into goals.

That said, we are comfortably the better equipped side in every game from now to season end so we go into every game as the winners presumptive. Put the Rovers squad alongside the squad of every team from now to season end and you are going to pick at least seven Rovers players in every game from the combined squads.

My current forecast is therefore W3 D1 L2 or 95 points- our incredible run of recent wins has brought our needed win percentage down to 50% with six to go.

If Shrewsbury achieve W6 D0 L0 in their last 6 they get to 99 points. They need 100% wins and still are probably going into the play offs as the gap is four points and goal difference. Rovers achieving W4 D2 L0 and automatic promotion is our's unless the Shrews average six wins by more than 3.5 and all our wins are by no more than 1 goal.

Wigan can get to 104 points and we can get to 103 points... and still not go up as Champions which I would guess will set a record which could stand for at least a century.

Never mind yesterday's performance but this tells explains just what a monster result yesterday's win was. Gillingham and Doncaster will be just as big for us. 

I think these mindsets are all part of being a football fan in general, and of course a Rovers fan, especially post-takeover. Expecting a collapse, being fraught with nerves as the season comes to an end and working out point permutations that leave us in all different scenarios.

Fact of the matter is, and this is something I said to @chaddyrovers but about Southampton, and their positive performance that yielded 0 points at the Emirates. Theres no dressing it up. Thats a bad day at the office.

We are at the stage of the season now where performances dont matter, and theres no time really to build on positive points, individual player performances etc. We played Bradford, we played rubbish, it was slow, nervy, fractured, this is v a Bradford side who conceded 5 at Blackpool on Saturday, but we won. Went to MK Dons, second half we were all over the place, but won. Saturday v Southend, we played rubbish, perhaps on performance didnt deserve a win, but we got one. That makes it 8 wins and 2 draws in 10. 

Dont get me wrong, I think we should strive to play better, I feel like weve really rode our luck, but its just about ticking off games without dropping points.

We all get bogged down looking at Wigan and Shrewsbury too, thinking they are relentless and barely give an inch, but their fans will be thinking the same about us.

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he spent a lot of the season injured Jim. I could be wrong, I'm trying hard not to think too much about last season.

Shame for him. Thought he looked a good Championship player. He and Lenihan made a good partnership

Am I seeing this right that folk actually want Hanley back?!? No way, clumbsy oaf of a boy. 

Also whoever thinks Williams is a good first choice left back needs looked at, one thing- heading. 

I would also argue nyambe isn’t champ standard yet and needs to become a sub.

with that in mind,

clearout

that canadian keeper,

poss replacement

alnwick - free. Give raya some actual competition and experienced at this level. 

Ward

sign- scott McKenna from Aberdeen, boy has a very bright future. Or Marc Wilson 

Rb options- Adam Mathews, James perch, lichaj

need a lb for first team, Williams isn’t the answer and bell doesn’t look up to it. Can’t think of an answer off top of my head. Fabio? Ooc

rid of Evans, Smallwood is league one, Conway doesn’t have another season in him, feeney (who)

poss mid recruits

maddison, Carey, Cattermole, mcgeady, MacArthur, Adams, Teddy bishop, chapman, Mowatt, meylar, leadbitter

up top

graham on a one year deal, can squeeze another year out him before his pace has completely gone, Samuel isn’t up to it so sell

recruits

armstrong, Marriott, Gallagher 

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Am I seeing this right that folk actually want Hanley back?!? No way, clumbsy oaf of a boy. 

Also whoever thinks Williams is a good first choice left back needs looked at, one thing- heading. 

with that in mind,

clearout

that canadian keeper,

poss replacement

alnwick - free. Give raya some actual competition and experienced at this level. 

Ward

need a lb for first team, Williams isn’t the answer and bell doesn’t look up to it. Can’t think of an answer off top of my head. Fabio? Ooc

rid of Evans, Smallwood is league one, Conway doesn’t have another season in him, feeney (who)

poss mid recruits

maddison, Carey, Cattermole, mcgeady, MacArthur, Adams, Teddy bishop, chapman, Mowatt, meylar, leadbitter

up top

graham on a one year deal, can squeeze another year out him before his pace has completely gone, Samuel isn’t up to it so sell

recruits

I like it...but any idea where the £30 odd million kitty will come from?

It's a massive week for the three promotion hopefuls with all being away and the potential to drop vital points as fatigue could kick in. Nothing will be decided this week but the correct combination of results could have us in delight or despair before Saturday. All we can do is carry on winning and keep the pressure up particularly on Shrewsbury.

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

with that in mind,

clearout

that canadian keeper,

poss replacement

Ward

poss mid recruits

up top

recruits

Surely Fisher has earned a place on the bench??

Albinson can then have the U23 jersey.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think these mindsets are all part of being a football fan in general, and of course a Rovers fan, especially post-takeover. Expecting a collapse, being fraught with nerves as the season comes to an end and working out point permutations that leave us in all different scenarios.

Fact of the matter is, and this is something I said to @chaddyrovers but about Southampton, and their positive performance that yielded 0 points at the Emirates. Theres no dressing it up. Thats a bad day at the office.

We are at the stage of the season now where performances dont matter, and theres no time really to build on positive points, individual player performances etc. We played Bradford, we played rubbish, it was slow, nervy, fractured, this is v a Bradford side who conceded 5 at Blackpool on Saturday, but we won. Went to MK Dons, second half we were all over the place, but won. Saturday v Southend, we played rubbish, perhaps on performance didnt deserve a win, but we got one. That makes it 8 wins and 2 draws in 10. 

Dont get me wrong, I think we should strive to play better, I feel like weve really rode our luck, but its just about ticking off games without dropping points.

We all get bogged down looking at Wigan and Shrewsbury too, thinking they are relentless and barely give an inch, but their fans will be thinking the same about us.

Absolutely spot on synopsis.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It's a massive week for the three promotion hopefuls with all being away and the potential to drop vital points as fatigue could kick in. Nothing will be decided this week but the correct combination of results could have us in delight or despair before Saturday. All we can do is carry on winning and keep the pressure up particularly on Shrewsbury.

Agree with this 100% Win our next two and Shrewsbury lose at Bradford and we are ten points clear by Saturday 5.00pm with Shrewsbury not playing this weekend.

If this happens Rovers would need five points from four games and Shrewsbury unable to catch us even if they win their last five games.

Absolutely HUGE week. It won’t be over and it won’t be a disaster if we drop points but the right results from our perspective will be pivotal.

I think we’ll go up at either Doncaster or Charlton.

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

with that in mind,

clearout

that canadian keeper,

poss replacement

Ward

poss mid recruits

up top

recruits

I have read some shite on here, but this is up there with the biggest pile. Lol , I wouldn't even know where to start 

The players you suggest are a mixture of rubbish and players we couldn't(and shouldn't) sign at this time

Someone is playing too much FIFA and/or football manager. These sheep are small, but those ones are far away 

15 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think you may be overestimating it. Mowbray did well last season points-wise with the cluster-ferk he inherited from Coyle. As someone said the other day, we would have finished 9th if his 10 week points haul had been extrapolated over a full season. He did it with the same back five as we have now (Raya Nyambe, Williams, Lenihan, Mulgrew), we've swapped Lowe for Smallwood and brought Dack in who is a far better player than anything we had last season in his position. Minus Gallagher and the odd brief cameo from Joao and Emnes and we have as good a squad now than last season in the Championship.

Millwall and Sheff Utd are doing very well in the the Championship with pretty much the same squads they had in League 1. Cardiff look to be going up after nearly going down last season. Not much has changed in their squad.

There's nothing to fear in the Championship.

Sheffield United signed quite a few players, blueboy. Millwall also struggled early season but have put together quite a run of form to shoot up the table like they have.

I am in agreement with yourself and Biz that we have a better squad than we had in our relegation season. We differ in opinion on the quality of the Championship. I think this season has been a pretty weak Championship in comparison to the season we were in it. I also think next season is going to be an incredibly strong league judging by the teams that could get relegated. There's a lot of money and a lot of managerial pedigree in that league now. It's an incredibly tough league.

I don't doubt we have the ability to survive but I think further investment is needed to become a solid mid table Championship club.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have read some shite on here, but this is up there with the biggest pile. Lol , I wouldn't even know where to start 

The players you suggest are a mixture of rubbish and players we couldn't(and shouldn't) sign at this time

Someone is playing too much FIFA and/or football manager. These sheep are small, but those ones are far away 

You always demand alternatives whenever somebody says a player isn't good enough. When alternatives are given you criticise them for playing too much football manager. Make your mind up.

I'd argue that list isn't wholly unreasonable. The lad from Aberdeen would be a stretch but, wages aside, the other players aren't a mixture of rubbish and are certainly not out of our price range.

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

with that in mind,

clearout

that canadian keeper,

poss replacement

Ward

poss mid recruits

up top

recruits

Crazy post, 2 things stand out.

Hanley left us having been our player of the season, an excellent defender in the Championship who is seemingly now replicating that at Norwich. And hes actually got a level of composure not necessarily befitting of his appearance. Mulgrew and Lenihan mean our first choice centre back pairing is strong but Hanley would be a terrific, albeit unrealistic addition.

And half of the players you want us to sign are high earning Sunderland players who are dropping down the leagues at a rate of knots.

I think you are going to be dissappointed this summer, thats for sure ?

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You always demand alternatives whenever somebody says a player isn't good enough. When alternatives are given you criticise them for playing too much football manager. Make your mind up.

I'd argue that list isn't wholly unreasonable. The lad from Aberdeen would be a stretch but, wages aside, the other players aren't a mixture of rubbish and are certainly not out of our price range.

That list is largely outrageous. The majority of the players are on at least 30,000 a week and haven't performed in years. Lee Cattermole, really? McGeady? Wilson? Meyler? Leadbetter? MacArthur? Fecking Fabio??? Either on way too much or under performing. 

His post suggested we sell half our team , including Smallwood. I am well entitled to call the poster out on it. 

I would poach a couple from Peterborough mind 

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That list is largely outrageous. The majority of the players are on at least 30,000 a week and haven't performed in years. Lee Cattermole, really? McGeady? Wilson? Meyler? Leadbetter? MacArthur? Fecking Fabio??? Either on way too much or under performing. 

His post suggested we sell half our team , including Smallwood. I am well entitled to call the poster out on it. 

I would poach a couple from Peterborough mind 

The selling of Smallwood is a weird call but in terms of departures he's not a million miles off. Leutweiler, Ward, Feeney and Conway you'd expect to go and Evans has been a perpetual disappointment in his time here. I definitely agree with him on the Williams call and firmly believe he's one of our worst players. We'd be a lot more solid without him. He doesn't have a clue how to position himself.

Alex Mowatt, Teddy Bishop, Graham Carey, Marcus Maddison, Matthews (providing he's over his injury), Adams (I'm assuming Che Adams), Jack Marriott, Sam Gallagher, Armstrong, Chapman and Wilson are all good players and worthy of at least discussion. Albeit we are, as you always remind us, amateurs and not paid to pick players.

The rest are either too old or too demanding but by the sentiments of his post he thinks we need seniority in the team and that isn't a wrong thing either. I definitely wouldn't argue with having Cattermole in our midfield.

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The selling of Smallwood is a weird call but in terms of departures he's not a million miles off. Leutweiler, Ward, Feeney and Conway you'd expect to go and Evans has been a perpetual disappointment in his time here. I definitely agree with him on the Williams call and firmly believe he's one of our worst players. We'd be a lot more solid without him. He doesn't have a clue how to position himself.

Alex Mowatt, Teddy Bishop, Graham Carey, Marcus Maddison, Matthews (providing he's over his injury), Adams (I'm assuming Che Adams), Jack Marriott, Sam Gallagher, Armstrong, Chapman and Wilson are all good players and worthy of at least discussion. Albeit we are, as you always remind us, amateurs and not paid to pick players.

The rest are either too old or too demanding but by the sentiments of his post he thinks we need seniority in the team and that isn't a wrong thing either. I definitely wouldn't argue with having Cattermole in our midfield.

Worthy of discussion alright, but ironic that he calls Smallwood league 1,then suggests so many players who have never played higher than league 1. 

As I said, I would have the two lads from Peterborough alright. They would be good signings. 

I wouldn't  have Clattermole anywhere near the team. Overpaid hindrance is what he is. His greatest skill is fouling 

On the departures, what has Leutwiler done wrong?? I would keep Conway. Ward is already gone, Feeney pretty much gone already too. Neither part of Mowbrays plans. 

Archived