BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Disagree on Conway and would give him a new deal as well as a part time coaching role with youth. 

Why cant we afford Nolan?

I wouldnt sell Samuel either. Talent there just need a run of games. 

I would sign Chapman for sure as long as fitness/injuries are behind him. 

Samuel is shite. Hasnt scored in the league since November. Wheres he hiding this talent? 

Chapman got an injury that required massive surgery and will probably affect him going forward, hence him breaking down again instantly. Not worth the risk based solely on sentiment.

Just cant see Shrewsbury letting their best player leave without a massive fight.

Conways legs have gone sadly.

• Backroom

Sheffield Utd won 10 of their last 11 games during their promotion season, so there doesn't HAVE to be twists and turns. The reason there is and will be for us is both because Shrewsbury are having a miracle season and our performances aren't good enough to warrant winning all of our remaining games.

We do have some tough tests coming up, but we seem to raise our game against the better teams so that doesn't concern me too much. I'm more worried about how we play against the lesser teams. 

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

4 wins and a draw from 5 games? You think we'll do that Den?

I didn’t make any prophesies 47er! We ARE in a great position though, don’t you think? Shrewsbury didn’t show much at the weekend against Lincoln so hopefully they’ll drop points making it easier again.

1 hour ago, den said:

Rovers are in a great position. 13 points will see us promoted, even if Shrewsbury win all their last 6 games.

Shrewsbury have four home and two away games left. They have Bradford and Blackpool away with Charlton, Bury, Peterborough and MK at home. Given our form over the last two games I honestly can't see us getting four wins and a draw from our last five games, three of which are away. If they get a win on Thursday it really will go down to the wire I think. 

Just now, arbitro said:

Shrewsbury have four home and two away games left. They have Bradford and Blackpool away with Charlton, Bury, Peterborough and MK at home. Given our form over the last two games I honestly can't see us getting four wins and a draw from our last five games, three of which are away. If they get a win on Thursday it really will go down to the wire I think. 

Agreed. I thought it was so important to win last night.

TM will have to think about bringing moire energy and power into midfield. Players looked jaded.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Looking at those I think they have as many 'banana skins' as we do. Obviously we both play Posh and Charlton who have play off ambitions. MK similar to Oxford in that their fate isn't yet decided but probably will be by the final day. Two tricky away games for them, Bradford need a reaction and Blackpool are hitting good form.

Worrying how tiredness seems to be creeping in which shouldn't be as much an issue as Shrews and Wigan who have balanced league campaigns with long running cup campaigns whilst we sacrificed cup progress to focus our efforts and resources on the league.

Last night was no disaster, disappointing maybe but far from a disaster. Back in November / December  we would have been more than happy to sit 2nd place 5 points ahead of 3rd with a better goal difference. Chances are both us and Shrewsbury will drop points before it's over. I have thought all season we will go up and still do. First or second place is irrelevant as long as we go up.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Samuel is shite. Hasnt scored in the league since November. Wheres he hiding this talent? 

Chapman got an injury that required massive surgery and will probably affect him going forward, hence him breaking down again instantly. Not worth the risk based solely on sentiment.

Just cant see Shrewsbury letting their best player leave without a massive fight.

Conways legs have gone sadly.

Disagree on your 1st 2 points as you knew we would..

On Nolan, we see as I expect teams from championship being interest. 

Conway experience and knowledge would be great next season. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Rovers always do it the hard way. Did when we won promotion in 91/92, winning the PL title 1994/95 and the league cup in 2002..

Plus dont forget Shrewsbury lost a final on Sunday. That will have an affect. Hopefully Bradford can do us a favour. Plus Blackpool, Peterbrough and Charlton arent easy with each team in form.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers always do it the hard way. Did when we won promotion in 91/92, winning the PL title 1994/95 and the league cup in 2002..

Plus dont forget Shrewsbury lost a final on Sunday. That will have an affect. Hopefully Bradford can do us a favour. Plus Blackpool, Peterbrough and Charlton arent easy with each team in form.

If we'd have won well last night I could have seen Shrewsbury preparing their team for the play-offs in future games. Resting key players or guys with slight injuries. As it is we've thrown them a life line with that half arsed performance.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we'd have won well last night I could have seen Shrewsbury preparing their team for the play-offs in future games. Resting key players or guys with slight injuries. As it is we've thrown them a life line with that half arsed performance.

I agree with most of what you usually post TS but not on this occasion. Only when it is mathematically impossible to catch the team above you would you start resting players for play-offs, surely? Their manager doesn't strike me as the type who would throw the towel in.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Two of our five games are against Peterborough and Charlton too.

I saw most of the Shrewsbury game on Sunday and they didn't play well but a lot of their wins have been by a narrow margin. I said the other day that this could be a pivotal week. Wigan won, we drew and the pressure is back on Shrewsbury who I think will see tomorrow's game as must win. I think we'll know a lot more by 9.45 tomorrow night.

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I agree with most of what you usually post TS but not on this occasion. Only when it is mathematically impossible to catch the team above you would you start resting players for play-offs, surely? Their manager doesn't strike me as the type who would throw the towel in.

I think teams have done it before matey. Maybe a bit nearer the end of the season.

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Energy levels have appeared to be low all season, it's not just a recent thing. We may have out skilled teams this season but how many team have we out enthused ?

A number of posters make this point TS. I must be seeing things differently these days, because I thought we looked a better team than Gillingham last night and I thought we ran hard and battled hard. Where we fell down in my opinion, is exactly the opposite to your point that we regularly out skill opponents - last night we didn’t have the quality, we couldn’t find that bit of flair. That’s how the manager saw it as well. I don’t fault them for effort at all, I applaud them for it.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I keep seeing this. What does it even mean?

We don't know what affect Shrewsbury losing on Sunday will have. We're hoping it shakes them but it could just as likely re-focus them on the league and getting back to winning ways. We'll find out tomorrow.

Just now, den said:

A number of posters make this point TS. I must be seeing things differently these days, because I thought we looked a better team than Gillingham last night and I thought we ran hard and battled hard. Where we fell down in my opinion, is exactly the opposite to your point that we regularly out skill opponents - last night we didn’t have the quality, we couldn’t find that bit of flair. That’s how the manager saw it as well. I don’t fault them for effort at all, I applaud them for it.

As long as we run hard and battle hard between now and the end of the season we should be OK. Obviously I wasn't there last night but in the games I have seen I don't get the impression we're a hard working team. We may be for 20 minute spells but that's not really good enough.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

May I ask what exactly Samuel has done, not only this season but in his career, to suggest that he has the ability and talent to score goals regularly at this or indeed Championship level?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

May I ask what exactly Samuel has done, not only this season but in his career, to suggest that he has the ability and talent to score goals regularly at this or indeed Championship level?

I know I’ve been knocking the lad a fair bit, but I’ve just seen he celebrates his 24th birthday today. He’s no kid and should be in his prime. Time to attempt to get shot regardless of what league we’re in come the summer. We’ll be taking a big hit on the fee no doubt but he’s never going to cut it for us.

Archived