BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Rovers - Gillingham (A) Bristol Rovers (A), Peterborough (H), Doncaster (A), Charlton (A), Oxford (H).

Wigan - Rochdale (A) Rotherham (H)  Oxford (H)  Fleetwood (A)  Bristol Rovers (A) AFC Wimbledon (H) Doncaster (A)

Shrewsbury - Bradford (A) Charlton (H)  Bury (H) Peterborough (H) Blackpool (A) MK Dons (H)

It's the Final Countdown, do-do-do-do-dododerdo. It's not over yet.

Hopefully the Spectrum posse can read it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 1864roverite said:

Whatever wigon do doesn’t matter if we win, they can score as many as they want there is still a 2 point gap between us

They have a game in hand so it does matter. They win all their games then we aren't finishing above them.

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They certainly did a massive favour to Wigan’s GD in the event we are both tied on points.

At the same time teams still see Rovers as a scalp and we are like nervous wrecks. We have such a weak forward line. Thank goodness for Dack and for Mulgrew’s free kicks or we would be struggling for a play-off place.

We weren't catching them on goal difference before the MK dons game. That ship sailed a long time ago 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

They certainly did a massive favour to Wigan’s GD in the event we are both tied on points.

At the same time teams still see Rovers as a scalp and we are like nervous wrecks. We have such a weak forward line. Thank goodness for Dack and for Mulgrew’s free kicks or we would be struggling for a play-off place.

Weak forward line with Graham and Armstrong banging them in most weeks? We've scored seventy odd goals...if anywhere, we a weak and nervy at the back at times.

Just now, Pedro said:

Weak forward line with Graham and Armstrong banging them in most weeks? We've scored seventy odd goals...if anywhere, we a weak and nervy at the back at times.

Deduct Mulgrew’s and Dack’s goals from our total and the points the won. I would suggest that we would be much poorer if we had to rely on our forwards.

And Armstrong joined in January.

Gosh, browsing a couple of threads, you've really got it on you this afternoon ?.  

What is the relevance of Armstrong signing in January btw - is that just some weird way of weakening a valid point? From my point of view, when he wasn't here, Antonsson was chipping in, when Antonsson wasn't scoring, Samuel or Nuttall was, when Graham was fat and lazy...we weren't doing to well at all.

It's a very valid point to mention the importance of Dack and Mulgrew's goals, but it's also very unfair to say the forwards have been weak.  

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Deduct Mulgrew’s and Dack’s goals from our total and the points the won. I would suggest that we would be much poorer if we had to rely on our forwards.

And Armstrong joined in January.

Yes Stuart, taking the two best players out of a team makes them weaker. Excellent analysis 

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes Stuart, taking the two best players out of a team makes them weaker. Excellent analysis 

You’re not usually this slow on the uptake.

Sorry if you are struggling to keep up.

For sometime now I have complained the we don't have the mentality to be an auto promotion team.  Our performance yesterday adds validation to that.  Thing is, I think we have more of those types of performances to look forward to

between now and the end of the season.  Wigan keep on rolling, they had a blip and look how they respond, they absolutely hammer a team we struggled with.  This is far from done, my gut feel is we will lose at least 2 games and draw one.  It's up to Shrews and Wigan to drop some points also for us to be able to do it automatic.

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

For sometime now I have complained the we don't have the mentality to be an auto promotion team.  Our performance yesterday adds validation to that.  Thing is, I think we have more of those types of performances to look forward to

between now and the end of the season.  Wigan keep on rolling, they had a blip and look how they respond, they absolutely hammer a team we struggled with.  This is far from done, my gut feel is we will lose at least 2 games and draw one.  It's up to Shrews and Wigan to drop some points also for us to be able to do it automatic.

It's does feel like that at times, but the thing is, if wigan fail to win their game in hand,we will have accrued more points than them this season. When you consider we lost 3 out of our first 5,that is solid going. We find ways to win games, might not always be pretty, but we find ways to do it. Could say that is the hallmark of a team who goes up automatically. 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

What a terrible post, weak forward line but scored over 70 goals!

Stuart, football is a team sport and been the most refreshing aspect this season. 

Probably the best team spirit I've seen down Ewood since '95.

Stop finding any negativity you can, 6 games to go 1 loss in 29.....

3 more wins should be enough....

24 minutes ago, USABlue said:

We won't hammer many, if any. The reason for that is our approach and attitude when we go ahead in games. Rather than continue to go at the opposition we respond to goals in our favour by retreating back and conceding possession and territory to the opposition. Yesterday was the epitome of that and we very nearly paid the price. Once ahead we seem to drastically change our approach to games and sit deep allowing the opposition control over the pitch and we look very uncomfortable and nervy. Its been a common factor from the early Mowbray era against Wigan and Derby last season.

If we're winning it doesn't matter but its stressful to watch and I feel we give the opposition too much time and respect and from that they gain confidence and momentum in games. 

My forecast is we have one or two horror defeats waiting for us plus a scraped draw in the run in.

We have fantastic resilience but some day soon its not going to be enough for us. We have vulnerabilities and at least one opponent will roll the lucky dice and convert our weaknesses into goals.

That said, we are comfortably the better equipped side in every game from now to season end so we go into every game as the winners presumptive. Put the Rovers squad alongside the squad of every team from now to season end and you are going to pick at least seven Rovers players in every game from the combined squads.

My current forecast is therefore W3 D1 L2 or 95 points- our incredible run of recent wins has brought our needed win percentage down to 50% with six to go.

If Shrewsbury achieve W6 D0 L0 in their last 6 they get to 99 points. They need 100% wins and still are probably going into the play offs as the gap is four points and goal difference. Rovers achieving W4 D2 L0 and automatic promotion is our's unless the Shrews average six wins by more than 3.5 and all our wins are by no more than 1 goal.

Wigan can get to 104 points and we can get to 103 points... and still not go up as Champions which I would guess will set a record which could stand for at least a century.

Never mind yesterday's performance but this tells explains just what a monster result yesterday's win was. Gillingham and Doncaster will be just as big for us. 

At the end of the day we have momentum and a winning habit. Even when not playing well we usually do enough to get us over the line. 4 wins from 6 should do it now, but I see no reason why we can't win 5 or all 6. Absolutely nothing to fear from the fixtures to come. 

Archived