BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

Including yesterday, he’s played about 300 minutes. The equivalent of just over three matches. He has two assists.

I’m expecting him to start against Newcastle but does need a run of starts to be able to judge fairly.

That said I thought he was poor again yesterday. There is just nothing about him that makes him stand out.

As some Forest fans pointed out at the time of signing. He had plenty of chances there and his scoring record was poor for a striker. 5 in 35 last season.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

With the transfer window now officially open I assume that we've paid some kind of fee and Brereton is now our player rather than Forest's. Odd that there hasn't been any confirmation from the club yet though. With his lacklustre introduction to the team I wonder if they're just going to let it slip under the radar and not announce anything? 

Later this week according to Sharpe. 

3 hours ago, DE. said:

With the transfer window now officially open I assume that we've paid some kind of fee and Brereton is now our player rather than Forest's. Odd that there hasn't been any confirmation from the club yet though. With his lacklustre introduction to the team I wonder if they're just going to let it slip under the radar and not announce anything? 

Was it not announced when we signed him? I'm pretty certain it was and he signed a four year deal (from the summer just passed).

On 02/01/2019 at 06:37, Stuart said:

Including yesterday, he’s played about 300 minutes. The equivalent of just over three matches. He has two assists.

I’m expecting him to start against Newcastle but does need a run of starts to be able to judge fairly.

That said I thought he was poor again yesterday. There is just nothing about him that makes him stand out.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/332839/Show/Ben-Brereton

According to this, 356 mins. Also, I don't know how the strengths and weaknesses bit is put together, but it kinda sums up what you say about no stand out attributes... 'Player has no significant strengths'. Lists 5 weaknesses though including finishing, aerial duels and crossing. I'm wondering more than ever why we signed this lad for so much. Hope he comes good.

Edited by bluebruce

20 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’d love to send him back but we all know it’s not going to happen so let’s kill that chat once and for all

It won't go away until the club issues a statement, it's such a bizarre signing it's going to cause speculation.

Silly signing in my opinion, spending that much on one player shouldn't have been on the agenda for this season. Could have gone towards two or three players with plenty of experience in this league.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, booth said:

It won't go away until the club issues a statement, it's such a bizarre signing it's going to cause speculation.

Silly signing in my opinion, spending that much on one player shouldn't have been on the agenda for this season. Could have gone towards two or three players with plenty of experience in this league.

Like who? You would be doing well to sign 3 proven Championship players for 5 million 

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Like who? You would be doing well to sign 3 proven Championship players for 5 million 

I think you've cracked what Mowbray was thinking...

"It's unlikely I'll sign three proven Championship players for 5 million so I'll spend 7 million on an unproven one."

• Like 1

Some people trying to defend it have some twisted logic, it's as if there was no other player available anywhere ever to BRFC so we just had to splash the total package of 7 million spread over time just in case he's worth a bit more in 3 years but the first 11 can slide it doesn't matter because Big Ben might just might come good one day.... so we can sell him !

However do other clubs ever manage when they can't do deals like this ?

Edited by tomphil

I haven't seen anyone defend the deal to be honest. I just don't think it's as simple as saying "we should have signed 3 proven players instead". We would have done well to get 1 in todays market. That's the reality. 

He has 2 assists in 300 minutes of football. Graham is our main man and should start. Things could be worse. 

I think this deal has been discussed to death. 93 pages and counting. 

Sorry pal but that's nonsense you only have to look at Armstrong, ok he hasn't torn any trees up but every now and then he contributes something.  He cost an initial 1.75 poss rising to 3 over time, his wages won't be cheap but decent champ standard. Not much older than BB and I don't know about his youth pedigree but he had pedigree for scoring a few in the lower leagues he can also play a couple of positions.

I'm also sure that BBs wages in the contract will reflect his progress and if he becomes a regular scoring goals he won't be on much different to AA soon enough.

Either way compared to Brereton at the min he represents good value and just the same as Ben one good season or even half one and he'll attract attention and deliver a good profit if sold. Just as much chance if not more of that happening as there is with Brereton and we don't have to wait and pray that he delivers something at least.

Yes ready made articles are hard to find for that money and modest starting wages but there ARE signings out there to be had who can contribute now and still grow and maybe deliver a profit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Sorry pal but that's nonsense you only have to look at Armstrong, ok he hasn't torn any trees up but every now and then he contributes something.  He cost an initial 1.75 poss rising to 3 over time, his wages won't be cheap but decent champ standard. Not much older than BB and I don't know about his youth pedigree but he had pedigree for scoring a few in the lower leagues he can also play a couple of positions.

I'm also sure that BBs wages in the contract will reflect his progress and if he becomes a regular scoring goals he won't be on much different to AA soon enough.

Either way compared to Brereton at the min he represents good value and just the same as Ben one good season or even half one and he'll attract attention and deliver a good profit if sold. Just as much chance if not more of that happening as there is with Brereton and we don't have to wait and pray that he delivers something at least.

Yes ready made articles are hard to find for that money and modest starting wages but there ARE signings out there to be had who can contribute now and still grow and maybe deliver a profit.

What's nonsense? 

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What's nonsense? 

A)  No one's tried to defend the deal, one of the chief sugar coaters has liked your post and the other would ute he's banned ?

b) You couldn't sign 3 proven players for that money, you could obviously depending on how you are judging 'proven' i.e Armstrong is proven compared to Brereton.

Not painting your post as nonsense by the way just the notions that we couldn't sign a few good players ready to go into the side for that kind of money. Wages are also debatable as room can be made loaning out or removing a bit of deadwood so accommodate the 1 into 2 or 3 scenario.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A)  No one's tried to defend the deal, one of the chief sugar coaters has liked your post and the other would ute he's banned ?

b) You couldn't sign 3 proven players for that money, you could obviously depending on how you are judging 'proven' i.e Armstrong is proven compared to Brereton.

Not painting your post as nonsense by the way just the notions that we couldn't sign a few good players ready to go into the side for that kind of money. Wages are also debatable as room can be made loaning out or removing a bit of deadwood so accommodate the 1 into 2 or 3 scenario.

Look, you won't get any argument from me that currently it looks like the money should have been spent elsewhere. I still don't think it's easy to pick up proven players who are guaranteed to perform. Every deal is a risk. This one could work out well yet. Hopefully it does. 

I don't think you can say Armstrong is proven at all. In fact I am pretty sure he has a worse goal scoring record at this level than Brereton! 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look, you won't get any argument from me that currently it looks like the money should have been spent elsewhere. I still don't think it's easy to pick up proven players who are guaranteed to perform. Every deal is a risk. This one could work out well yet. Hopefully it does. 

I don't think you can say Armstrong is proven at all. In fact I am pretty sure he has a worse goal scoring record at this level than Brereton! 

Of course he's as proven he's carved out a career as a professional over several seasons albeit more successfully so far at a league below and his England youth record is better than Bens seeing as that keeps getting held up.

Different types of players of course but regardless of last season in Bens case at Forest AA is streets ahead of him at the min yet half the price and still has potential sell on in a few years if he improves. Not sure how they'd compare neck and neck at the same age but if Rovers had doffed 1.75 plus a multitude of potential possible add ons on BB not many would worry that much.

Top and bottom is Brereton probably should be cutting his teeth and banging in a few in league 1 or 2 like AA did to best help his progress and hunger to succeed.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I haven't seen anyone defend the deal to be honest. I just don't think it's as simple as saying "we should have signed 3 proven players instead". We would have done well to get 1 in todays market. That's the reality. 

For £6 Million Sheffield United brought in Norwood, Egan and McGoldrick all proven quality in the Championship and all would have improved our team. If you looked hard enough then there was plenty of talent out there that could have been brought in to make £7 Million look good value, be that spent combined on numerous players or spent on just one player.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

For £6 Million Sheffield United brought in Norwood, Egan and McGoldrick all proven quality in the Championship and all would have improved our team. If you looked hard enough then there was plenty of talent out there that could have been brought in to make £7 Million look good value, be that spent combined on numerous players or spent on just one player.

You’ve forgotten the flex! Brereton’s only on ten bob a week.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/332839/Show/Ben-Brereton

According to this, 356 mins. Also, I don't know how the strengths and weaknesses bit is put together, but it kinda sums up what you say about no stand out attributes... 'Player has no significant strengths'. Lists 5 weaknesses though including finishing, aerial duels and crossing. I'm wondering more than ever why we signed this lad for so much. Hope he comes good.

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels

Finishing

Crossing

Holding on to the ball

Defensive contribution 

?

So when we're desperately trying to hold onto a result he's a great one to bring on - as Tony often does.

Heck. Is there anything he CAN do?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's your reality. The two things are very different;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't usual do subtle but I think you're shifting your ground there!

47 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think it's unfair to criticise BB. In todays market you have to pay at least £10m to get someone to come on and run around for ten minutes at the end of a match like he gives a shit. For £7m you just get someone who is a bit half-arsed and falls over.

As many have said you don't get very much for 7M these days----------------and we haven't!    :(

Edited by 47er

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I haven't seen anyone defend the deal to be honest.

I must be dreaming then. I thought you had-----many times. Biz liked your post but I'm sure he's defended this deal many times! So has Chaddy.

I think you're coming round to the majority view without wanting to admit it!   ;)

• Like 1