BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

For £6 Million Sheffield United brought in Norwood, Egan and McGoldrick all proven quality in the Championship and all would have improved our team. If you looked hard enough then there was plenty of talent out there that could have been brought in to make £7 Million look good value, be that spent combined on numerous players or spent on just one player.

So it really is as simple as saying we could have signed 3 experienced championship players.

In my opinion, and i'm sure others have said the same i don't think the £7million was there for three experienced championship players, i think it was there for a "project", soneone who could double maybe even treble there investment over the next couple of years.

• Like 2

Think you’re right Mark. And if thats how it is, then fine.

But there needs to be a much better scouting/decision making system around it. Not just ‘he’s young and English, get him in, he’ll double in value after a few games’. It will see as many misses as hits and a shed load of money down the toilet.

22 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

In my opinion, and i'm sure others have said the same i don't think the £7million was there for three experienced championship players, i think it was there for a "project", soneone who could double maybe even treble there investment over the next couple of years.

Therefore it was a signing based primarily on money instead of a pure football decision. This lot never quit from trying to learn the hard way.

• Like 5

Would have rather signed Watkins from Brentford for the money we spent. It is a poor deal with the player also being handled poorly. Do I think he's got absolutely nothing about him. Not really because I would never have got to this level.

Do I think he's the right deal for Rovers. The idea is right in signing younger players but the price is crazy if it's 7 million. Should be closer to 3 million really.

Think it was a case of Brereton or nothing though as he's a low risk potential double money back investment. He's been wagered against any fee for Dack in the future so no money has been lost on the owners side.

That's why only a very small amount of managers would get this club promoted because the owners look for business investments rather than spend 20 million on the team, get promoted and get 100 million plus back.

7 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Would have rather signed Watkins from Brentford for the money we spent. It is a poor deal with the player also being handled poorly. Do I think he's got absolutely nothing about him. Not really because I would never have got to this level.

Do I think he's the right deal for Rovers. The idea is right in signing younger players but the price is crazy if it's 7 million. Should be closer to 3 million really.

Think it was a case of Brereton or nothing though as he's a low risk potential double money back investment. He's been wagered against any fee for Dack in the future so no money has been lost on the owners side.

That's why only a very small amount of managers would get this club promoted because the owners look for business investments rather than spend 20 million on the team, get promoted and get 100 million plus back.

Spot on.

This has favoured agent connections stamped all over it.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Therefore it was a signing based primarily on money instead of a pure football decision. This lot never quit from trying to learn the hard way.

Of course it's a decision based on the potential for short term profit.

Not difficult to see where the player suggestion came from.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Would have rather signed Watkins from Brentford for the money we spent.

He only cost £1.8m form Exeter in July 2017. He's now worth a lot more than what we paid for BB and has been linked with Prem sides.  Maupay cost them £1.6 and has also been linked with Prem sides. It makes a mockery of those that say £7m is the going rate for a striker in the Championship and that BB somehow represents good value (flex?). 

• Like 2

Bereton has been a good player at every youth level for england.

A large % of forest fans didnt want him sold.

I get there is cause for worry on what we have seen so far, but there is clearly a player in there somewhere that we havent seen yet.

Hopefully he gets 90 mins at newcastle up front and we can judge him a bit better

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Bereton has been a good player at every youth level for england.

A large % of forest fans didnt want him sold.

I get there is cause for worry on what we have seen so far, but there is clearly a player in there somewhere that we havent seen yet.

Hopefully he gets 90 mins at newcastle up front and we can judge him a bit better

Did Forest's local rag do a poll to see how many of their fans wanted him to stay? Just wondering where you got the 'large %' bit from?

If a play from Rovers academy had the odd good game in the 1st team then no-one on here would want them sold. It wouldn't mean the player was any good. 

He started at Sheff Utd and was poor apparently. 

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Did Forest's local rag do a poll to see how many of their fans wanted him to stay? Just wondering where you got the 'large %' bit from?

If a play from Rovers academy had the odd good game in the 1st team then no-one on here would want them sold. It wouldn't mean the player was any good. 

He started at Sheff Utd and was poor apparently. 

Nobody spends 7 mill on what we have seen so far. All Im saying is clearly there is a player in there we havent seen yet.

Hopefully he can get a goal and some confidence this weekend

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

You don't usual do subtle but I think you're shifting your ground there!

Shifting my ground how exactly? 

And even if I did, what's wrong with people changing their opinion in light of more evidence? You seem to have an issue with it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

9 hours ago, 47er said:

I must be dreaming then. I thought you had-----many times. Biz liked your post but I'm sure he's defended this deal many times! So has Chaddy.

I think you're coming round to the majority view without wanting to admit it!   ;)

Well he hasn't been used very much and is yet to score. We have issues in defence, so to say we should have spent some money there is hardly groundbreaking. 

Admit what? Again, can you clarify? Do posters need to add a disclaimer to each post where they may have changed their mind on something? 

It must be odd to be you and never change your opinion on anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Shiting my ground how exactly? 

And even if I did, what's wrong with people changing their opinion in light of more evidence? You seem to have an issue with it. 

I know its childish, but that typo made me lol

Nothing wrong with changing opinions - it is always going to happen the longer BB is sparingly used. If we get to the end of the season and BB is still only seen as a last 10 minute guy and is rarely used up front, I doubt even the most optimistic of fans will be saying it was a good transfer and the best way that the money could have been used.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well he hasn't been used very much and is yet to score. We have issues in defence, so to say we should have spent some money there is hardly groundbreaking. 

Admit what? Again, can you clarify? Do posters need to add a disclaimer to each post where they may have changed their mind on something? 

It must be odd to be you and never change your opinion on anything. 

As I said when you denied ever saying you'd give TM a 6 year contract extension, I often change my mind.

I just don't pretend I haven't.

34 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Nothing wrong with changing opinions - it is always going to happen the longer BB is sparingly used. If we get to the end of the season and BB is still only seen as a last 10 minute guy and is rarely used up front, I doubt even the most optimistic of fans will be saying it was a good transfer and the best way that the money could have been used.

A full pre season here and a year stronger might make a difference he's only a kid really but for me along with that the manager has to decide what he's doing with him and how best to utilize his talents if he has any.  That might mean a different approach next season although it could see Graham as back up man Brereton seems very much a two or three upfront man.

Let's hope there actually is a plan in place.

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

As I said when you denied ever saying you'd give TM a 6 year contract extension, I often change my mind.

I just don't pretend I haven't.

No, you just don't have sad acts following you around pointing it out.

I said I couldn't remember saying it. I stand by my assertion that managers should be given time to build. I don't agree with the churn and burn, even if on a bad run. 

You are a great man for the "I told you so's". I find it very immature to be honest. 

Was he poor against United?

Rose tinted beer goggles maybe, but I thought his movement got him into some great positions (won free kick that got their lad sent off, and should have had the defender that brought him down off too, should have finished a move where he found good space also) and it encouraged us to play on the deck a bit more - allowing us to control the midfield a lot better than usual.

Similarly I thought he held people off, popped it off well and got in behind etc in his cameo against WBA, perhaps a question of the intensity in some closing down.

Fair dos I do look for the best in our players but I think poor is a stretch, he was decent.

-edit- same with Smallwood prior to sending off at Bramall Lane. Played well for me.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Was he poor against United?

Rose tinted beer goggles maybe, but I thought his movement got him into some great positions (won free kick that got their lad sent off, and should have had the defender that brought him down off too, should have finished a move where he found good space also) and it encouraged us to play on the deck a bit more - allowing us to control the midfield a lot better than usual.

Similarly I thought he held people off, popped it off well and got in behind etc in his cameo against WBA, perhaps a question of the intensity in some closing down.

Fair dos I do look for the best in our players but I think poor is a stretch, he was decent.

I think he has looked decent too. It seems to me some fans are at the point now where they are happy when he doesn't play well as it "proves them right". Some definitely exaggerate how "badly" he has played and look for anything to nit pick about. Some can't separate the fact he is a young 19 year old who is still growing and learning , from the transfer fee.  

Before anyone jumps in. I am not saying all those who have doubts fall into the above category-some valid points are being made. 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think he has looked decent too. It seems to me some fans are at the point now where they are happy when he doesn't play well as it "proves them right". Some definitely exaggerate how "badly" he has played and look for anything to nit pick about. Some can't separate the fact he is a young 19 year old who is still growing and learning , from the transfer fee.  

Before anyone jumps in. I am not saying all those who have doubts fall into the above category-some valid points are being made. 

Oh please don’t go down the route of saying people don’t want him to play well so that they will be proven right. The opposite view of people saying he DID play well because that proves them right would also be valid wouldn’t it?

• Like 2