BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

4 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Another big mistake came from that - not addressing the atmosphere issue.

I wasn't overly fussed about the Darwen End moving, the criminal mistake within that was not designating a clear section as a singing/atmosphere section. If marketed correctly i'm sure N01 of the BBE would've been really successful as the 'traditional end' I grew up in awe of. If not N01, there are loads of options whether it be the BBE upper, JW corner, Riverside corner of wherever. With clear comms we would've made a fist of it rather than letting 95% of people interested not bother, and leaving 5% of them to congregate in an area with not enough bodies to make any noise. We neglected the situation and have been left with an even worse atmosphere.

I think I'm correct in saying only 2 clubs, Leeds and Preston brought comfortably more than half of the capacity of the Darwen End. Leeds are bound to go up and none of the relegated or promoted clubs would be expected to fetch more than 3000. So it'll be even more pointless next year. If we had left the ST holders in the Darwen End they would've had to move less than any other season in the last decade bar league one! 

Once again you have to compare what we have done to what the opposition have done to try and understand where we are at and make the atmosphere better.

We have just won promotion, and rather than embrace that and try to build on that we've closed arguably our most vocal area and made no effort to replicate it elsewhere in the ground. According to our CEO this was done to facilitate larger away followings but the reality is apart from Leeds/PNE it hasn't been necessary. If the truth is it was done to reduce operating costs then with some effort the club could have developed a similar section elsewhere yet there was nothing.

Then we look at clubs like Derby or Middlesbrough, who had atmosphere problems previously and to counter that have moved away fans from behind their goals and built singing sections in those areas. Villa on Saturday had a vocal element waving flags behind the goals which was traditionally the away end. Huddersfield developed a singing area behind the goal which was previously allocated entirely to away fans. Reading have tried to do similar but with less success.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Then we look at clubs like Derby or Middlesbrough, who had atmosphere problems previously and to counter that have moved away fans from behind their goals and built singing sections in those areas. Villa on Saturday had a vocal element waving flags behind the goals which was traditionally the away end. Huddersfield developed a singing area behind the goal which was previously allocated entirely to away fans. Reading have tried to do similar but with less success.

Good point, wasn't my first port of call but I'd probably agree with a replication of that. You might well be right to say away fans being moved to a portion of maybe the JW, with the focused home singing area being the Darwen End Lower would be the best move. 

But that's stage 2 or 3 of the discussion.

Stage 1 of the discussion, the topic of having a marketable singing section at Ewood hasn't even been had by the club yet, which is amateur.

I can't help but think that if Mowbray played a team today with Buckley   Travis and possibly even Butterworth,it would have tied nicely in with the initiative where they gave out over 2000 tickets to the youngsters . It would have been like a new beginning, focusing on youth and the future. Instead he plays the most uninspiring line up we have played Ina long time and that's saying something. Shows a huge lack of awareness and sensitivity to the absolutely huge importance of getting new fans in. 

I don't think I'll even watch us on ifollow again. I can't be looking at Williams, Bennet and smallwood, but besides that it's the complete lack of a clear style. 

I would say our style is tidy around the middle, but toothless in both final thirds. Not a good style 

A healthy crowd on today. 17,500 with nearly 2000 from Stoke and 2500 given away still leaves 13000 home paying fans which is more than usual. 

Unfortunately it was another turgid afternoon of mind numbing inane football and no goals so doubt many will be counting down the hours to the next one. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

A healthy crowd on today. 17,500 with nearly 2000 from Stoke and 2500 given away still leaves 13000 home paying fans which is more than usual. 

Unfortunately it was another turgid afternoon of mind numbing inane football and no goals so doubt many will be counting down the hours to the next one. 

I don’t know where they were all sat. It looked pretty normal to me. Maybe the JW upper was full?

Just now, Stuart said:

I don’t know where they were all sat. It looked pretty normal to me. Maybe the JW upper was full?

My daughter and granddaughters Next Generation tickets were in the JW Upper. I thought all these were going to be in the Blackburn End upper tier.

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Just sad the kids had to watch it.

I actually thought it was an odd game to pick to get the kids interested.

AND - still no STs on sale!!

Someone needs to get their finger out.

Just now, Stuart said:

AND - still no STs on sale!!

Someone needs to get their finger out.

Other than Chaddy and the strange folk that appear incredibly upbeat on the LT, who would be want a ST? This is another Loon oasis of inactivity. Does nothing to encourage me to return.

• Like 2

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Other than Chaddy and the strange folk that appear incredibly upbeat on the LT, who would be want a ST? This is another Loon oasis of inactivity. Does nothing to encourage me to return.

The uptake this time will be very interesting. A very short early bird/claim your seat deadline possibly.

The Bolton game would've been the right one to do that offer it'd let them learn about a bit of local rivalry at least.  No disrespect to Stoke they have good support always up here but they have to be one of the most bland football clubs around.  If ever there was a club invented to sit in the middle of the Prem or the Champ for eternity it's them for some reason. Probably say the same about us mind !

Anyway losing the first game you attend is the right of passage for any true future diehard not fortunate enough to start in the Kenny/Shearer era surely ?

21 hours ago, Stuart said:

Bet a few of those kids have been on their best behaviour today, with a threat if they don't , to make them go to the Derby game being used by cunning parents :)

Edited by perthblue02

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

What was the reasoning for splitting them up when they made a big deal about the upper tier, no booze on sale, using Strikers lounge etc?

No idea Matty - the first I knew of it was at the game and then reading comments on here. Maybe some were given the chance to sit with family who already had season tickets?

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

No idea Matty - the first I knew of it was at the game and then reading comments on here. Maybe some were given the chance to sit with family who already had season tickets?

My daughter and granddaughter actually went to the Blackburn End having not checked their tickets. They were directed to the Blackburn End side of the JW Upper. They sat amongst parents and kids from her school but they said there were a few other schools there too.

Some interesting things out of the last Fans Forum:

18-25 attendances are down. Something blueboy has repeatedly raised on here, not sure the club’s response in the minutes are particularly encouraging, just waffle about ‘being competitive’.

And hallelujah it looks as if the noon KOs are no more!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/contentassets/d47edf0f19cd47dea3a73e898f8da69c/fans-forum-minutes-18-3-19.pdf

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2