BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

The longer Stanley stay in League 1 and Holt carries on being this proactive, I think we will have an issue in Hyndburn.

Always been a Rovers heartland, but he gives a free shirt to every kid in the borough, season tickets at a £1 a game and just generally a fun place to spend an afternoon.

And we do what in the area to counter it? 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The longer Stanley stay in League 1 and Holt carries on being this proactive, I think we will have an issue in Hyndburn.

Always been a Rovers heartland, but he gives a free shirt to every kid in the borough, season tickets at a £1 a game and just generally a fun place to spend an afternoon.

Don't set me off!

I live in Ossy and sometimes work in Accy and I see absolutely nothing from Rovers. No school visits, no posters, no advertisements. Zilch.

Surely there's some data somewhere about where Rovers ticket buyers live and I'd expect a large percentage of season ticket holders and those on the database to live in Hyndburn.

As you point out, the lengths that Stanley are going to in an attempt to build a fanbase and get youngsters hooked is impressive, but also a source of embarrassment that such a small operation with very little going for it can do such things whilst we rest on our laurels.

I've already pointed out that in my experience Stanley is an easier day out than Rovers in terms of getting into the ground, parking, getting away after, better food and drink etc.

Rovers' efforts in terms of school visits is positive but it is a tired routine and they only seem to have any interest in Primary schools within BwD boundaries and do nothing beyond that.

When I was a child I know I would have responded more to a free shirt or ticket from a football club than I would a player coming into school one afternoon.

It's something I never thought I'd see but it is worrying. Stanley pro-actively working on a generation of fans and Rovers idly ignoring a hotbed of traditional support, either through laziness or some bizarre belief that it isn't our patch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Don't set me off!

I live in Ossy and sometimes work in Accy and I see absolutely nothing from Rovers. No school visits, no posters, no advertisements. Zilch.

Surely there's some data somewhere about where Rovers ticket buyers live and I'd expect a large percentage of season ticket holders and those on the database to live in Hyndburn.

As you point out, the lengths that Stanley are going to in an attempt to build a fanbase and get youngsters hooked is impressive, but also a source of embarrassment that such a small operation with very little going for it can do such things whilst we rest on our laurels.

I've already pointed out that in my experience Stanley is an easier day out than Rovers in terms of getting into the ground, parking, getting away after, better food and drink etc.

Rovers' efforts in terms of school visits is positive but it is a tired routine and they only seem to have any interest in Primary schools within BwD boundaries and do nothing beyond that.

When I was a child I know I would have responded more to a free shirt or ticket from a football club than I would a player coming into school one afternoon.

It's something I never thought I'd see but it is worrying. Stanley pro-actively working on a generation of fans and Rovers idly ignoring a hotbed of traditional support, either through laziness or some bizarre belief that it isn't our patch.

I've already pointed out that in my experience Stanley is an easier day out thanRovers in terms of getting into the ground, parking, getting away after, better food and drink etc.

Now come on, I know Stanley are doing a great job on very limited resources, but it’s pretty obvious it’s easier to get in and out the ground, parking etc  than Ewood, their last home crowd was 2400 ( I know some matches are boosted with away support to 5000).
 We ain’t getting mega crowds at Ewood but it’s obviously quite a lot more than them so consequently not as easy to get in the ground and getting away.
Edited by unsall

1 hour ago, unsall said:

I've already pointed out that in my experience Stanley is an easier day out thanRovers in terms of getting into the ground, parking, getting away after, better food and drink etc.

Now come on, I know Stanley are doing a great job on very limited resources, but it’s pretty obvious it’s easier to get in and out the ground, parking etc  than Ewood, their last home crowd was 2400 ( I know some matches are boosted with away support to 5000).
 We ain’t getting mega crowds at Ewood but it’s obviously quite a lot more than them so consequently not as easy to get in the ground and getting away.

Have you been Stanley? The parking is a nightmare! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve always thought Hyndburn in terms of Gt Harwood and Rishton was Rovers, but in Accy I always found it to be a far closer mix but swinging towards the “higher achieving” of Rovers and Burnley amongst the young. 

I do believe that Stanley are actually hurting Rovers, as I strongly believe that a good percentage of their increase in fan base has come from fans walking away from their own clubs rather than being new to attending football matches. 

I strongly believe that Rovers should be doing all they can to pull in the young, as others have said get hundreds of tickets out to the schools every game. I simply cannot see how it cannot make money if as little as 2-5% take attending Rovers more regularly.

I think that a good number of our fan base have gone long term/ forever, can you really blame them? Football is an absolute mess, as a football club whether we want to admit it or not we are on life support. We need somebody (like pretty much all clubs outside the top 5 premier teams) to fund the club as a huge loss making venture, not so we can see great football and be vastly entertained but so footballers, agents, managers and Sky can get richer. I understand why fans are broken, as life gets harder for people the rich want to get richer and inexplicably they want more brass from Joe on the street to fund it through higher ticket prices, higher in stadium food and beverage prices and higher Sky tariffs.

Edited by cesus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cesus said:

I’ve always thought Hyndburn in terms of Gt Harwood and Rishton was Rovers, but in Accy I always found it to be a far closer mix but swinging towards the “higher achieving” of Rovers and Burnley amongst the young. 

I do believe that Stanley are actually hurting Rovers, as I strongly believe that a good percentage of their increase in fan base has come from fans walking away from their own clubs rather than being new to attending football matches. 

I strongly believe that Rovers should be doing all they can to pull in the young, as others have said get hundreds of tickets out to the schools every game. I simply cannot see how it cannot make money if as little as 2-5% take attending Rovers more regularly.

I think that a good number of our fan base have gone long term/ forever, can you really blame them? Football is an absolute mess, as a football club whether we want to admit it or not we are on life support. We need somebody (like pretty much all clubs outside the top 5 premier teams) to fund the club as a huge loss making venture, not so we can see great football and be vastly entertained but so footballers, agents, managers and Sky can get richer. I understand why fans are broken, as life gets harder for people the rich want to get richer and inexplicably they want more brass from Joe on the street to fund it through higher ticket prices, higher in stadium food and beverage prices and higher Sky tariffs.

I totally agree: particularly the bit in bold.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cesus said:

Pretty sure that the powers that be see free or cheap tickets as ‘devaluing the product’. Which has been the rhetoric of some of the long standing fans closest to the club for a wee while.

Only problem is that increasing prices isn’t increasing the value of the product.

“Early bird ST” = “we are raising the price but if you buy early you will be getting a better deal”

”Higher walk on prices” = “get a season ticket or pay for 1875 club membership to get a reduction”

”Surcharge” = “buy early or join the 1875 club and you get it cheaper”

”Club cash” = “we’ve increased shirt prices but we’ll sell it to you at the old price if you by ST or 1875”

These are the kind of things that are being touted as “offers” while we’ve basically watched a L1 team in the Championship all season.

Meanwhile... 18,000 empty seats.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Pretty sure that the powers that be see free or cheap tickets as ‘devaluing the product’. Which has been the rhetoric of some of the long standing fans closest to the club for a wee while.

Only problem is that increasing prices isn’t increasing the value of the product.

“Early bird ST” = “we are raising the price but if you buy early you will be getting a better deal”

”Higher walk on prices” = “get a season ticket or pay for 1875 club membership to get a reduction”

”Surcharge” = “buy early or join the 1875 club and you get it cheaper”

”Club cash” = “we’ve increased shirt prices but we’ll sell it to you at the old price if you by ST or 1875”

These are the kind of things that are being touted as “offers” while we’ve basically watched a L1 team in the Championship all season.

Meanwhile... 18,000 empty seats.

Is it “devaluing” the product long term though. In the 90s as a School kid in Accy I got free/ cheap tickets through school and became a season ticket holder for 20 years. 

A massive problem is that we employ people in Waggotts role who have to get short term results and hammering loyal fans is a freebie. Joys of modern football hey!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cesus said:

Is it “devaluing” the product long term though. In the 90s as a School kid in Accy I got free/ cheap tickets through school and became a season ticket holder for 20 years. 

A massive problem is that we employ people in Waggotts role who have to get short term results and hammering loyal fans is a freebie. Joys of modern football hey!

Devaluing the product is a nonsense concept when it comes to discussing ticket prices at Ewood. Rovers aren't a Gucci bag with an exclusive clientele who will go somewhere else if the product becomes too cheap and affordable to the masses. 

Rovers are a Bag for Life with limited appeal. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cesus said:

Agree completely.

And yet Rovers (under Waggott) are doing the exact opposite.