BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I still think its a massive jump to suggest a kid who has only played kids football is no worse than one that has slotted in seamlessly into the United side.

That United Kid had only ever played "kids" football too, at a lower level! Why can United get second division youth players "seamlessly" into their side without sending them out on loan to the National League, but we can't get first division youth players "seamlessly" into our team? baffling.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

JRC came from United too. Taking players from those clubs at 16/17 is a large part of our Academy strategy. Thought you’d know that.

And a good one it is too if JRC also becomes a regular.

I do know that... It was only Lenihan I thought came at a later age.

2 minutes ago, savage90 said:

Have you heard any more since your tip off a few days ago?

Im probably not the guy to be asking these days , Few folk annoyed me on here so my info is diluted. The prem loan is still looking likely however. Would be very surprised if there wasn’t at least one new face in by Saturday 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A balance has to be there, because if you give 4 youngsters a run and only one succeeds as you say then you are most likely suffering with results in the process if you are carrying 3 others.

Do it one at a time then. JRC is next, for me, although that chap on the Academy thread often says Buckley is the clubs chosen one... 

Once JRC has had a few starts and either proven worthy or not, then try somebody else a few months later. If Thompson had have played against Brentford and been shite, then fair do's he's had a chance, but for people to say "well Williams at United is obviously better than him" is baffling when one has been given a chance and the other hasn't.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

His goal record last time was 1 in 4, bang average. 

But which other players go for fees that make you suggest that Gallagher is anywhere close to value for money, bar Brereton? Struggling to see any evidence that he is "doing well."

Double figures isn't bang average. 

Do I really need to give you examples of players who moved for more than £5 million that flopped? Honestly? 

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That United Kid had only ever played "kids" football too, at a lower level! Why can United get second division youth players "seamlessly" into their side without sending them out on loan to the National League, but we can't get first division youth players "seamlessly" into our team? baffling.

Because it doesn’t matter what ‘division’ they are in! It’s U23/Reserve football played at about 30% intensity. Some weeks we’ve got half a side of first team players in the team.

United aren’t bothered what league it is, as long as there is a Rashford or a Greenwood to promote, if 7 or 8 of them never make it, so what?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Because it’s January 30th and Walton is still our first choice keeper.

And will be until end of the season, that was the arrangement with Brighton , were never going to break that. New keeper being looked at for summer, I don’t think walton will be brought back

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Because it doesn’t matter what ‘division’ they are in! It’s U23/Reserve football played at about 30% intensity. Some weeks we’ve got half a side of first team players in the team.

United aren’t bothered what league it is, as long as there is a Rashford or a Greenwood to promote, if 7 or 8 of them never make it, so what?

But Williams has still only played the exact same KIDS football that Thompson has... that was my point. Hence your original comment about Thompson being worse off because he'd only played kids football being a bit odd....

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Couldn't disagree more with that assessment, and I believe other clubs are getting it right where we aren't. Look at Wigan who are consistently now bringing through youth players into their team at Category Two status. Yes, they're struggling as a team, but some PL clubs have been circling around a few of their lads.

Travis is the bench mark, there's plenty of players who look EVEN BETTER in the 23's than he did at that level, and have scope to be even bigger than him for us... we have to utilise it.

To say that the League doesn't matter is a load of tosh, genuinely. On the whole, we have a much better group of lads at 23's level than Manchester United... you can't argue it, we're a division above them. We just mismanage it and fail to capitalise, where other clubs do capitalise.

No chance Joe. You’ve got completely the wrong end of the stick here.

We have made massive steps towards integration of young players into the first team set up. That is proven by Jonty’s promotion and effectively the bridge from u23’s to the first team.

The first team squad is now littered with former apprentices. Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis are mainstays and the likes of JRC, Butterworth, Buckley are tight in the mix. Magloire, Grayson have made their full debuts. We sold Raya for seven figures and Nuttall for £500k. Add to that the chat around the others who are about to break into the first team squad....

Id say there are probably a lot of young players around looking at us as a prime place to break into the first team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

But Williams has still only played the exact same KIDS football that Thompson has... that was my point. Hence your original comment about Thompson being worse off because he'd only played kids football being a bit odd....

Because United coaching staff have spotted something in him. If Thompson can’t get a look in than that’s also a judgment call. Buckley has been given plenty of chances this season, he doesn’t look anywhere near ready, Travis did.

They are the experts, not us. They see these players every day, their mentality etc. Sometime’s they will get it wrong, and they’ll do well elsewhere, but many just don’t ‘have it’ even if they look the part in half paced development games, that’s football.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

There are so many factors as to why a young kid will or won’t ‘make it’, and the margins are so fine. It’s a long time since I watched a lot of games below first team level, but in the late 90’s I did. We had an exciting crop then with Duff, Dunn, Taylor, Johnson all coming through in the space of a few years. At that time we were also buying young lads to go in at that level.

Two names that really spring to mind for me are David Worrell and Anthony Williams. Both looked the real deal, Williams in particular. I saw him play for Wales U21s and I’d honestly say it was the best goalkeeping performance I’ve ever witnessed. Both went on to have careers in football, but at nowhere near the level I thought they were destined for.

Maybe things could have been different, but there isn’t a magic formula.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Because United coaching staff have spotted something in him. If Thompson can’t get a look in than that’s also a judgment call. Buckley has been given plenty of chances this season, he doesn’t look anywhere near ready, Travis did.

They are the experts, not us. They see these players every day, their mentality etc. Sometime’s they will get it wrong, and they’ll do well elsewhere, but many just don’t ‘have it’ even if they look the part in half paced development games, that’s football.

My opinion is that the club is massively mismanaging the academy.

Just now, Miller11 said:

Maybe things could have been different, but there isn’t a magic formula.

I agree, no magic formula. But there are significantly flawed formulas.

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

No chance Joe. You’ve got completely the wrong end of the stick here.

We have made massive steps towards integration of young players into the first team set up. That is proven by Jonty’s promotion and effectively the bridge from u23’s to the first team.

The first team squad is now littered with former apprentices. Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis are mainstays and the likes of JRC, Butterworth, Buckley are tight in the mix. Magloire, Grayson have made their full debuts. We sold Raya for seven figures and Nuttall for £500k. Add to that the chat around the others who are about to break into the first team squad....

Id say there are probably a lot of young players around looking at us as a prime place to break into the first team.

If by "wrong end of the stick" you mean a different opinion to you on our Academy then sure....

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me, and I'm not saying you should change your view of it, but respectfully - don't tell me that my view of it needs changing either.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Way off the mark there I think. 

That's fine, happy to disagree, I don't think we're doing enough but opinions are opinions. They're not getting it all wrong, but there's a long way to go IMO.

Just now, JoeH said:

That's fine, happy to disagree, I don't think we're doing enough but opinions are opinions. They're not getting it all wrong, but there's a long way to go IMO.

Compared to other clubs we are bringing many players through. Johnsons new role also a positive move. All really positive I would say. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Compared to other clubs we are bringing many players through. Johnsons new role also a positive move. All really positive I would say. 

One player has been promoted in a year. That's not "many players" at all from where I'm sitting. Buckley and JRC absolutely nowhere near enough minutes to be classed as "brought through" yet. We'll see but I'm genuinely concerned JRC will still be waiting for his proper chance in summer.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Only two of those have come through this year, and both have started one game between them. Does Lenihan count as ours? Didn't he come from elsewhere at a younger age?

Have a listen to Darragh explaining how he came to Rovers here....

43 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

And will be until end of the season, that was the arrangement with Brighton , were never going to break that. New keeper being looked at for summer, I don’t think walton will be brought back

Lol. “Even if he’s crap and you lose every game, he’ll be your number one all season, lots of love, Brighton”