BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure what you are disagreeing with Joe? It obviously doesn’t matter that United aren’t in PL2 as they are still producing Rashford, Greenwood, Williams etc. Players that will have a career at elite level. 

But they aren’t and never will be elite footballers.

Manchester United are "producing" Williams because they promote their players. That Williams lad is no better than Lewis Thompson. He really isn't. It's all about mismanagement and perception.

I agree, they won't, but I don't think that's always because of the player, I think the clubs management is feeding it.

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Manchester United are "producing" Williams because they promote their players. That Williams lad is no better than Lewis Thompson. He really isn't. It's all about mismanagement and perception.

Exactly, your perception as a biased Rovers fan that our Academy has better players in it than Man Utd’s. 

We haven’t produced a striker for the first team in about 20 years.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Exactly, your perception as a biased Rovers fan that our Academy has better players in it than Man Utd’s. 

We haven’t produced a striker for the first team since it was opened, for example.

I agree in some ways, I'm merely saying the reason we aren't producing talents isn't solely the individual talent of these young players, it our current system. We simply don't manage the progression of our youth players the way other top academies do. We're getting it wrong.

Four out of the 10 outfield players were Academy grads at full time on Tuesday (would have been 5 out of 11 if we hadn’t sold Raya). Good ‘un’s too, is it all bad? Isn’t that the point? A conveyer belt to the first team for the best prospects?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think we overpaid for Gallagher. Not when I consider what others have moved for . He is doing well and I would back him to score more regularly at some point. 

27 apps, 4 goals

Do ya?

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Four out of the 10 outfield players were Academy grads at full time on Tuesday. Good ‘un’s too, is it all bad?

It's not all bad, but we could be doing more. Idk if Lenihan counts given that we signed him from another club but maybe, and it's only Travis and Nyambe really, because Buckley and JRC haven't exactly been given big chances.

This thread is becoming unreadable and a sad state of affairs when deadline day is tomorrow, instead of transfers being discussed it’s massive posts about ffp, venkys or our youth players. Not blaming folk as I know we have little to go on but I won’t be reading your dissertation about the supposed finances of our club 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The Venky model? They’ve spent around £10m on transfers in the last two seasons.  How well that money has been spent is a different issue.

If FFP is the big concern then I can fully understand why we’re being cautious. I’m sure you’ll be blaming them when we’re hit with a transfer embargo next season.

Predominantly frees and loans since they came with the odd 'punt' taken on future value.  

They even talked about loaning players when they arrived.

Just now, JoeH said:

It's not all bad, but we could be doing more. Idk if Lenihan counts given that we signed him from another club but maybe, and it's only Travis and Nyambe really, because Buckley and JRC haven't exactly been given big chances.

Lenihan came from a junior club at 15, of course he counts.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, Belvedere only have a junior team. A good one to be fair. 

Fair enough then. I'm on my high horse about it atm because of the ABSURD decision to bring on EB over JRC when Rothwell wen't off injured. Baffling. No faith in a clearly talented young player.

"Birmingham City and Hull City have joined the race to sign Rangers winger Jordan Jones. The out-of-favour star is also courting interest from Stoke City, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Blackburn Rovers. (Daily Record)"

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How can Lenihan not count but Travis does? Wasn't Travis about 17 when he joined from Liverpool?

Just now, LeftWinger said:

How can Lenihan not count but Travis does? Wasn't Travis about 17 when he joined from Liverpool?

I thought Lenihan came from a senior side at an older age, somebody has explained. And technically I would say Travis doesn't count... not exactly ours like Buckley or Magloire who joined at 9.

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

This thread is becoming unreadable and a sad state of affairs when deadline day is tomorrow, instead of transfers being discussed it’s massive posts about ffp, venkys or our youth players. Not blaming folk as I know we have little to go on but I won’t be reading your dissertation about the supposed finances of our club 

Have you heard any more since your tip off a few days ago?

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, because I base my opinion on more than stats. If I used stats I would just send back his goal scoring record last time he was here, which is critics are experts at omitting , glossing over and explaining away. 

He cost £5 Million, which was loads in this league. That’s not relevant to now though, as we hadn’t forked our cash on him only to submit a significantly worse return this time.

Meanwhile, Dack is injured and luckily Armstrong has really stepped up to the plate and started notching, while Gallagher wastes away out of position, along with actual wingers on the bench or the under 23’s.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I agree, they won't, but I don't think that's always because of the player, I think the clubs management is feeding it.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

My point is that JRC showed at Sheffield Wednesday he had the goods, and when Rothwell went off injured on Tuesday, he didn't have the balls to bring him on. Benno instead.

It's that mentality that will hold us back. Travis got 4/5 starts, and never looked back. We need to provide ALL of our good young prospects with these chances. When we had no left-backs Downing filled in and did okay, fine, but he could've just as easily brought up Thompson or Sam Hart and given them just 3/4 starts to prove themselves. One in four manage to do it  like Travis and you've got yourself a great, functioning system.

I'd sooner see:

Hilton over Leutwiler
JRC over Benno
Thompson over Bell

On the bench etc...

I still think its a massive jump to suggest a kid who has only played kids football is no worse than one that has slotted in seamlessly into the United side.

I get your point re playing youngsters over poor experienced players but Downing was really good at left back. I dont think he "could have easily" brought in Thompson or Hart at those standards.

A balance has to be there, because if you give 4 youngsters a run and only one succeeds as you say then you are most likely suffering with results in the process if you are carrying 3 others.

Agree with Bennett being a weird sub.

Just now, K-Hod said:

He cost £5 Million, which was loads in this league. That’s not relevant to now though, as we hadn’t forked our cash on him only to submit a significantly worse return this time.

Meanwhile, Dack is injured and luckily Armstrong has really stepped up to the plate and started notching, while Gallagher wastes away out of position, along with actual wingers on the bench or the under 23’s.

Debatable whether it's loads to be honest. Would he even be in the top 50 for highest fees? Of course it is relevant. 

Ya, imagine how well we will do so when we get a proper winger in there and let him compete with Armstrong for the striker role. Exciting times. 

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think we overpaid for Gallagher. Not when I consider what others have moved for . He is doing well and I would back him to score more regularly at some point. 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, because I base my opinion on more than stats. If I used stats I would just send back his goal scoring record last time he was here, which is critics are experts at omitting , glossing over and explaining away. 

His goal record last time was 1 in 4, bang average. 

But which other players go for fees that make you suggest that Gallagher is anywhere close to value for money, bar Brereton? Struggling to see any evidence that he is "doing well."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I thought Lenihan came from a senior side at an older age, somebody has explained. And technically I would say Travis doesn't count... not exactly ours like Buckley or Magloire who joined at 9.

JRC came from United too. Taking players from those clubs at 16/17 is a large part of our Academy strategy. Thought you’d know that.

And a good one it is too if JRC also becomes a regular.

• Like 2