BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

16 hours ago, renrag said:

Just a post script re Joe Mercer. The first time I visited his hotel, I went into Wadebridge police station to ask for directions. A young police cadet on the desk looked at me nonplussed (I don’t think he understood my accent). An inspector was sat at the back of the office, he got up and said “you mean the Blackburn Rovers place? He gave me directions, when we got there saw the hotel had double front doors, one painted blue and the other white. One of the rooms off the bar was full of Rovers memorabilia on display. I believe his son still owns it but I don’t think he has the same commitment to the club.

Incidentally Joe’s brother, Bryan, was one of the first leaders of the predecessors of the Red Arrows aerobatics team

The pub is called the Four Ways at St.Minver.

It still had loads of Rovers stuff up when i went in about 25 years ago. I tried to engage the son about Rovers but he wasn't interested in talking to me so I've never been back 🥱

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The pub is called the Four Ways at St.Minver.

It still had loads of Rovers stuff up when i went in about 25 years ago. I tried to engage the son about Rovers but he wasn't interested in talking to me so I've never been back 🥱

Is it the same place that named the bedrooms Riverside, Blackburn End etc?

This brings back memories and a half. Brilliant how we troubled them for many years after our title win, even in our worst state too in 2011. Feed the Yak!

Every Rovers goal scored at Old Trafford since 1993.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

This brings back memories and a half. Brilliant how we troubled them for many years after our title win, even in our worst state too in 2011. Feed the Yak!

00:25. How good is that from David Batty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Some great goals and memories

Poignant was David Thompson with a rare header. Saw him outside Ewood shortly after he'd had to finish because of a knee injury

He looked absolutely distraught. Very good player

• Like 3

On 09/06/2023 at 21:15, jim mk2 said:

Poignant was David Thompson with a rare header. Saw him outside Ewood shortly after he'd had to finish because of a knee injury

Cracking player for us. He added to what was an already exciting side containing the likes of Tugay, Dunn, Duff, Gillespie, when he arrived. He did well after a few of those had left the club too.

His longe range pearler away at Charlton in the League Cup in 2005 is something that always comes to mind when he is mentioned.

Oh, and the story about how Lucas Neill was saved from a potential beating as Thommo was alongside him, when out shopping at the Trafford Centre.

Carragher has told the story himself. A couple of his mates saw Neill shortly after he had broken Carra's leg with a bad challenge at Ewood. They wanted to exact revenge and rang Carragher looking for the go ahead. However, as soon as they saw Thommo with Neill, they called it off.

On 26/03/2023 at 12:30, den said:

Rovers record attendances

https://ewoodpark.jimdofree.com/attendances-record-attendances-1929-1960/

Record Attendance
61,783 v Bolton Wanderers  2 March 1929 FA Cup 6th Round

Highest in the FA Cup at Ewood Park

60,011 Blackpool 4 March 1925 FA Cup 4th Round
54,400 v Huddersfield Town 9 March 1939 FA Cup 6th Round [replay]
53,889 v Burnley 16 March 1960 FA Cup 6th Round [replay]
53,000  Everton 25 January 1930 FA Cup 4th Round
52,920  v Burnley 8 March 1952 FA Cup 6th Round
52,468  Liverpool 7 January 1950 FA Cup 3rd Round
51,223 Blackpool 30 January 1960 FA Cup 4th Round
51,177  West Bromwich Albion 23 February 1952 FA Cup 5th Round
51,000 Liverpool 1 March 1958 FA Cup 6th Round
Highest in the Football League at Ewood Park 
52,656 v Preston North End 26 December 1921  Division 1 (Level 1)
48,000 Burnley 1 January 1914 Division 1 (Level 1)
46,847 v Preston North End 4 October 1947 Division 1 (Level 1)
45,521  Leicester City 16 April 1954 Division 2 (Level 2)
44,612 v  Preston North End 4 November 1950  Division 2 (Level 2)
43,192 Wolverhampton Wanderers 13 September 1958 Division 1 (Level 1)
42,891 Preston North End 7 April 1950 Division 2 (Level 2)
42,000 Burnley 16 October 1926 Division 1 (Level 1)
41,830 Tottenham Hotspur 30 August 1958 Division 1 (Level 1)
41,789 Liverpool 22 February 1958 Division 2 (Level 2)

Great to see so many of those attendances were local Derbies few Liverpool n Everyon but WHO TF are Man Utd?  What a marvellous history for a lil old town team.  Just over a decade ago were were a, as Souness loved to say, "this is a PROPER FOOTBALL" club.  We were as a. local lad, well Accy I just felt part if Rovers players stayed for Donkeys.years you know they were Rovers in their heart too you just knew it.  Loved it every minute of it, bar those few times I narrowly escaped a mauling, but wow the adrenalin rush then the ecstatic joy as you realised you'd give em the slip.  Now the hair raising experience of finding your transport.  What ti.es lol.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 21:15, jim mk2 said:

He was a grand player with a great attitude, one of my faves at the time

Love how John Howarth gets front and centre there. I’d say he’d have got O’Brien through the door… but then we did mess up another pretty big potential deal for a Forest player in his time!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1