BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Colin Bell RIP.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Bell played in the first game I attended ,when city beat us 1-4 in the FA cup. He was everywhere that night, what a fantastic professional. 

Yes he was outstanding that night, We nearly signed him in the relegation season of 65-66 but he chose City who were on the up at the time. He was one of the first of the modern midfield players, were work rate counted for more than dribbling skills etc. He wasn't a ball player as such but he was a tremendous athlete who could cover every blade of grass. The nearest to Colin playing today is Kevin DeBruyne but I don't think Colin was quite as good as DeBruyne. City had a lad come through the ranks a few years back now who reminded me a lot of Bell in his running style but he just faded from the game. He was very injury prone, I can't think of his name now.

Later on we signed " The new Colin Bell " in Jimmy Kerr, also from Bury, but his career was ruined by injury.

RIP Colin, thanks for the memories, you were top class.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes he was outstanding that night, We nearly signed him in the relegation season of 65-66 but he chose City who were on the up at the time. He was one of the first of the modern midfield players, were work rate counted for more than dribbling skills etc. He wasn't a ball player as such but he was a tremendous athlete who could cover every blade of grass. The nearest to Colin playing today is Kevin DeBruyne but I don't think Colin was quite as good as DeBruyne. City had a lad come through the ranks a few years back now who reminded me a lot of Bell in his running style but he just faded from the game. He was very injury prone, I can't think of his name now.

Later on we signed " The new Colin Bell " in Jimmy Kerr, also from Bury, but his career was ruined by injury.

Paul Lake?

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Michael Johnson?

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No, Paul Lake was more of a defender. His career was also blighted by injury. I remember an old time pro who was coaching at City describe him as " Bobby Moore with pace " when he was just starting out in the City team. That was praise indeed.

Classy player and person - RIP Colin Bell

Tyrone - was it Michael Johnson?

Lovely player to watch Colin Bell - something in the way he moved, rather like Sir Keith.

De Bruyne is very similar though I think Colin had the edge (others probably disagree).

De Bruyne now aged 29, the age when Bell suffered the knee injury that effectively ended his career.

Malcolm Allison I think it was who called Bell "Nijinsky" after the racehorse of the same name. Bell was a thoroughbred too. RIP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Lovely player to watch Colin Bell - something in the way he moved, rather like Sir Keith.

De Bruyne is very similar though I think Colin had the edge (others probably disagree).

De Bruyne now aged 29, the age when Bell suffered the knee injury that effectively ended his career.

Malcolm Allison I think it was who called Bell "Nijinsky" after the racehorse of the same name. Bell was a thoroughbred too. RIP

I had a pal who played in a similar style to Bell but obviously nothing like as good. His nickname was Arkle.

Colin Bell scored the third goal against Scotland in a 5-1 victory on my first ever trip to Wembley in 1975. At least four of that England side have passed away now. Mind you, even with 7 men we would still have beaten Scotland that day. RIP Nijinsky

15 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

I wonder if City will finally name one of the stands behind the goal in honour of him now. 😉

RIP Colin.

Dedicated by David Seaman. no doubt. No disrespect intended, I was just remembering an old joke.

• Like 1