BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brockhall STC - planning permission application ?

The LT really is abysmal. Headline ‘How the story unfolded’

Great, a bit of digging, highlighting of links to other strikingly similar projects elsewhere in the UK with the same actors and a few tales from the inside, a nod to the work of Rev et al. But no, literally just a copy and paste job of the ‘articles’ from the last month or so - articles that themselves were just a copy and paste of club press releases.

Certainly no ‘journalism’ has taken place this past couple of months. A disgrace to the long standing values of local journalism - to investigate and publish in the public interest - the whole raison d’etre of the local press.

The fact they wouldn’t even touch ‘the letter’ says where they stand and if anything like this rears it’s head again, it has to be ‘new’ forms of media to focus efforts on.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19223932.story-unfolded-rovers-controversial-brockhall-plans/

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The LT really is abysmal. Headline ‘How the story unfolded’

Great, a bit of digging, highlighting of links to other strikingly similar projects elsewhere in the UK with the same actors and a few tales from the inside, a nod to the work of Rev et al. But no, literally just a copy and paste job of the ‘articles’ from the last month or so - articles that themselves were just a copy and paste of club press releases.

Certainly no ‘journalism’ has taken place this past couple of months. A disgrace to the long standing values of local journalism - to investigate and publish in the public interest - the whole raison d’etre of the local press.

The fact they wouldn’t even touch ‘the letter’ says where they stand and if anything like this rears it’s head again, it has to be ‘new’ forms of media to focus efforts on.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19223932.story-unfolded-rovers-controversial-brockhall-plans/

Not one word of criticism of the plans or the fact that Waggott has pissed away copious amounts of the Club's money pursuing the half baked scheme.

I hesitate to say poorly thought out as I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

The LT is quite contemptible at times.

• Like 2

Local media is struggling, I’m not expecting All the President’s Men style exposes. But I won’t excuse the piss poor efforts of the LT, as a quick glance at the offerings of other local rags, tells me they still hold those in authority to account, still do a bit of digging.

Not just a PR vehicle for whoever is pumping out press releases.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Why?

Journalism requires analysis. Reporting doesn't. Hence, why Sharpe is primarily a reporter. He reports. He very rarely analyses. 

He has merely reported on the Brockhall saga, he hasn't at any point analysed the potential ramifications of it, or indeed if it was justified and to the detriment or otherwise of Rovers. So many angles there, from finances, to Cat 1, to player development. What did we get instead? A timeline of events. Embarrassing. 

Also, after 1 win in 14 I would have expected a sports editorial of sorts on Mowbray and if he was the right man to lead the club forward. In fairness Sharpe did skirt around the edges a week or so ago but in the end it was a bit half-hearted. 

So yeah, a reporter, not a journalist. 

• Like 3

In fairness to Sharpe, I’m unsure of how much of that is down to his limitations as a journalist and how much of it is down to editorial decisions not to rock the boat with the powers that be at Ewood, I.e losing access to games/pressers/Brockhall etc as without football coverage, what does the LT have left that drives sales and web traffic?

Either way it means the best interests of Blackburn Rovers are ill-served.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

First comment on the LT site is from someone called "Mowbray's Magic"  bemoaning the fact that "Where are the cost savings we need going to come from?"

Could someone go on and point out we could start by employing a manager who doesn't spend more than the annual £1.9 m net cost of running the Academy on paying the likes of Mulgrew and Ayala not to play for us?

And by not paying £300k p.a. to a CEO who has decimated the fan base by putting prices up during a pandemic and wasted copious amounts of Club money on a scheme which,  if the aim was as stated to maintain Cat 1 status, was doomed from the outset.

I can't seem to post a reply on there, it keeps saying it's sending me an email mail link to confirm which never arrives. It's not a recent thing.

Should get a few hours out of it before it gets taken down.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

So yeah, a reporter, not a journalist. 

On newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and all other media:

General reporters, sports reporters, news reporters, business reporters, feature writers, leader writers, analysis and comment writers and presenters.

Editors, sports editors, news editors, features editors, business editors, sub-editors across the spectrum, page designers, and all producers

They're all journalists

Being semantic here Jim. Of course he’s a journalist, presume he has NCTJ qualifications and his NUJ card.

However, does he engage in investigative journalism, does he dig out stories from sources? The meat and drink to newspaper men of years gone by. I’d say no he doesn’t, as outside reporting and commenting on matches and pressers, there’s little else that I read that fits the title.

But then again post the Kean era nobody at the LT has put their head above the parapet, so obviously an element of wings being clipped...

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

On newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and all other media:

General reporters, sports reporters, news reporters, business reporters, feature writers, leader writers, analysis and comment writers and presenters.

Editors, sports editors, news editors, features editors, business editors, sub-editors across the spectrum, page designers, and all producers

They're all journalists

I refer you back to my previous comment. 

• Like 2

Must admit I always thought journalist was an umbrella term for them all.

Either way the point remains for sharpe I doubt there’s a Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting in the pipeline. Just get 500 words down of which the vast majority will be quotes or a bland timeline of events then pick up his pay check. Suppose like any other industry the cream rises to the top and the likes of Sharpe will consider themselves fortunate they’ve ascended beyond covering cheese rolling.

Unfortunately for us fans we get someone not prepared to do some proper journalism 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I refer you back to my previous comment. 

Which is wrong.

Those who work in the industry and choose to join are members of the NUJ... the clue's in the title. 

Journalism is a broad field. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

In fairness to Sharpe, I’m unsure of how much of that is down to his limitations as a journalist and how much of it is down to editorial decisions not to rock the boat with the powers that be at Ewood, I.e losing access to games/pressers/Brockhall etc as without football coverage, what does the LT have left that drives sales and web traffic?

Either way it means the best interests of Blackburn Rovers are ill-served.

I've made that same point many times. He will be constrained, you only have to look at the flack he took when he criticised one of the players (Gally?) and he got hammered by the likes of DG and some of the other players. 

That said, he's still a waste of space when you compare him to the likes of the Cov journo's. At least they had an opinion and went out of their way to dig out info. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Which is wrong.

Those who work in the industry and choose to join are members of the NUJ... the clue's in the title. 

Journalism is a broad field. 

Of which reporting is one aspect. If that's all you do you're a reporter who reports. No analysis, no investigation, just reporting of events. It's hardly Woodward and Bernstein. 

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Of which reporting is one aspect. If that's all you do you're a reporter who reports. No analysis, no investigation, just reporting of events. It's hardly Woodward and Bernstein. 

...... but still a journalist

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

No, just someone who works in the print media.

Just because someone works at a University, it doesn't make them an academic, a professor, or a teacher.

He literally calls himself 'Rovers Reporter' at the top of his articles. 

Anyway, I found this on t'internet

Journalist vs. Reporter: Differences

In exploring journalists vs. reporters, it’s critical to remember they are both parts of the news industry. The difference between the two seems to lie in the amount of research that the individual does as part of his or her job. Reporters who craft stories supported by their own research may be considered journalists. However, not every reporter is a journalist. For example, a local television news reporter may take information that is gathered by a research staff – including material that was written by other journalists –  and relay that information to their audience.

Journalist vs. Reporter | Maryville Online

Which one is Sharpe??? @jim mk2

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

No, just someone who works in the print media.J

Everyone who works in print, TV, radio, all kinds of media, as either reporters or on production staff, are journalists

Jim, why are you wrecking this vitally important thread by being pedantic about the technical definition of a journalist?

If Waggott survives long enough I wouldn't put it past him to come back with a completely different but equally pointless and potentially damaging scheme so let's stick to the real issues please.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Everyone who works in print, TV, radio, all kinds of media, as either reporters or on production staff, are journalists

And everyone who repeatedly and systematically seeks to strip their employers assets for personal gain is a lying, conniving, thieving wretch. Allowing local journalism to condone the illegitimacy of said wretches actions is an unacceptable and highly questionable folly. A journalist will work hard to create a story. A reporter will do as little as possible to file a story. Chalk, cheese, hard cake, rumble tummy...fart.

I do like a good story to get me teeth into..particularly one without a bitter end.

Same Jim that always likes to say when the club is facing yet another crisis - ‘well what are you going to do about it?’ 

Yet when asked what he will be doing himself, ‘err nothing, I’m too old’

So Rev did get off his arse and ‘did something’, yet he still doesn’t want to discuss it and is being pedantic about semantics and derailing the thread instead. Odd.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7